Joshua Wong: Thailand bows to China's deportation request

webfact

14 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

I think by troublemaker he means that it will be pointed out that Thailand is not a democracy, and the sham referendum, constitution and upcoming elections will not get it any closer to being a democracy.

Darn troublemakers...

I think  if he mentioned the truth"s in your post, there would be an excuse for an arrest and then the s,.,t hits the fan

in the Diplomatic ranks.he is potentially a big risk, (don"t allow him in) 

Edited by KBsinter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will always act against any and all bullys..., be they single people acting locally or nations acting regionally...., and there are many ways to enact  disdain for bullies...., some methods are overt..., and some more incognito. 
This guy is obviously being bullied.  

3 hours ago, wvavin said:

Taking orders from China is not going to make Thailand any good. It is sinking further and further without realising it. Absolutely an international embarrassment to Thailand by doing so.

Just who is afraid of who ?

8 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Lie lie and lies

Lies lies and damn lies. Again the Chinese tail swings the Thai cat. Kudo's to this kid and  his bravery but he is in a world where friends are few and far between and enemies are trees in the forest facing him. He is a living example of how democracy will be smothered in the coming years. He will be sacrificed for the benefits of the "greater" good as the Red Chinese call it. It is just a little more humane than what is happening in North Korea today. 

3 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Then I guess you don't know any educated people in China. All the ones i know can't wait to get out.

Yes they profited greatly by the semi democracy business system in effect there. Now they want to take their profits and run. Its every man for himself in this world and the Chinese are well aware of that. 

China and Thailand are increasing starting to look like  peas from the same pod.

The Chinese leadership, notorious for human rights abuses but eager to present itself as increasingly moderate,  is so scared of what a skinny 19-year-old kid from Hong Kong might tell the Thai people that they ask the Thai authorities to deny him entry. 

The military leadership of Thailand, which cracks down hard on criticism or dissent (https://www.hrw.org/asia/thailand), meekly complies - while hypocritically mouthing platitudes about its commitment to free speech.

Who do these regimes, superficially very different but fundamentally frighteningly similar, think they are kidding?

6 hours ago, chainarong said:

Probably the best result for a badly planned event , Josh got world wide news coverage yesterday , something that would not have happened if he was left alone , and lets be frank , how many knew Josh was coming to Thailand, the broadcasts depicted Thailand mostly as kowtowing to China's demands and made it look like a bunch of cowards , running the Country, frightened of students, which they are........................................................:coffee1:

I'd never heard of him bit I live in a bit of a (self-imposed) vacuum. (not a Dyson)

In the 1960s Hippy movement there was a saying that you shouldn't trust anyone over 30. For Thailand, I would make it 40 but it does appear to be true. If only the young here were so bright as this kid Joshua. I think he gets it. The world's present problems in Thailand, China, and a lot of other nations come from older folks. I'm up there to in age so  I'm not saying this as a youngster. the old are the ones locked in their warped views of the world and tied to their traditional greed. They want to pull in the young into believing their own warped vision of reality which they make real through their closed minds and control over the wealth and power of nations. And the young usually do fall in line with the same routine politics playing out due to their power. If only the young would open their eyes and see the old for what they really are, the same repetitive history wouldn't be playing out.

8 hours ago, maewang99 said:

Let it go. China has quite a lot of legitimacy now. In fact, yeah it's a little off topic...  but our example of the USA, such as the current election nonsense and our own police shootings increasingly shows China in a much better light. We're not dealing with things to scale, at all, but China is.  

You need to watch the news a bit more.

China executes more of it's citizens than any other country on the planet.

The courts are governemnt controlled.

It is ruled by a single party that will not tolerate any dissent.

It has brutalised Tibet and the Tibetans.

It is provoking a war in the S China Seas by it's land grabs.

Constant harrassment of any pro democracy advocates.

Jailing of political dissenters.

etc. etc. etc.

I could go on and on.

6 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Then I guess you don't know any educated people in China. All the ones i know can't wait to get out.

and why do they not get out???

The Beijing and Shanghai (just to name two) international airports are open to get out, so are the border crossings. Maybe the "educated" people you know / associate with are of a particular type supported by a particular trouble maker country.

Reminds me of the time Tony Blair's government refused entry to the UK to Kurt Wilders, a Dutch politician who was invited to speak on Islamic immigration by and at the House of Lords, London. Wilders was and is a European citizen born and bred in Holland with every right of free passage to any country within the European Union without the need for a passport. Now, because this young man (startlingly mature and politically astute for his actual age), is asked to speak in Thailand, which he has every right to do, "they" conspire to silence him. "They" don't like what he has to say so they break the law to shut him up. Welcome to democracy 21st century style. 

1 hour ago, swerver said:

The Beijing and Shanghai (just to name two) international airports are open to get out, so are the border crossings. Maybe the "educated" people you know / associate with are of a particular type supported by a particular trouble maker country.

Could have something to do with the difficulty of getting long term visas for the countries they'd like to settle in. 

1 hour ago, swerver said:

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Could have something to do with the difficulty of getting long term visas for the countries they'd like to settle in. 

Correct, getting out of the country on a tourist visa is easy for those with money. However getting out with family and assets, and finding a place to that will allow them to stay long-term is harder.

Also, if they are on the government's radar, it could be difficult to get a passport and hang onto it.  Political activists sometimes have passports seized. 

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Correct, getting out of the country on a tourist visa is easy for those with money. However getting out with family and assets, and finding a place to that will allow them to stay long-term is harder.

Also, if they are on the government's radar, it could be difficult to get a passport and hang onto it.  Political activists sometimes have passports seized. 

Good points.  And anyone not believing the desire for an exodus need only Google "naked official".  The wife and kids are overseas setting up house while the graft and corruption keeps flowing in.  Once the red envelopes stop, they're outta there.  The hope is that they can beat the corruption charges by as narrow a time margin as possible.  Maximizes ROI.

Thailand’s lords and masters have spoken China says little irrelevant Junta jump Thailand’s MP says how high Sir, just shows how far down the pecking order Thailand ruling Junta is,  Thai Foreign Ministry will do exactly as China says so his comments will count for <deleted> .                 

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

9 hours ago, keskeseksa said:

This Joshua is a troublemaker paid by the American government. The Thai government has every right not to let him him, he has no business here.

Huh? I didnt know we had 50 cent army in here.

13 hours ago, maewang99 said:

Let it go. China has quite a lot of legitimacy now. In fact, yeah it's a little off topic...  but our example of the USA, such as the current election nonsense and our own police shootings increasingly shows China in a much better light. We're not dealing with things to scale, at all, but China is.  

Shows China in a better light? You can't be serious. The difference between China and the US is that latter is a democracy. Yes, the shootings in the US are terrible and the country is awash with guns, but at least they don't suppress the events like China does.

Also, since the Chinese government issued guns to the police they seem to have taken it to mean they can shoot anyone they please with impunity.

Hardly admirable behaviour whichever way you look at it.

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

This subject made the front page headline of that English language newspaper we aren't allowed to quote.  I loved it!  So much for discretely making the problem go away.

It's put Thailand and it anti free speech front and centre on the international stage.

29 minutes ago, Thechook said:

All over the Australian media also and Thailand doesn't come out smelling sweet.

A commentator on BBC yesterday spoke about China's increasing influence in S.E. Asia and of how close to them Thailand appears to be getting.

20 hours ago, cruisemonkey said:

He doesn't look like he's gone through puberty yet.

They start young in H.K.  in the old days when they were like 14, the father would sign them up for a " Goodie Tour "  and the destination was to South Korea to get their cherry pop.   Plus you do know Asian in general look younger.