Frozen body identified as American publisher

webfact

Frozen body identified as American publisher

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

S__3719228.jpg

Rescue workers load a body found in a Phra Khanong shophouse on Sept. 23 in Bangkok. Police now believe the body was that of an American man named Charles Edward Ditlefsen.

BANGKOK — Police on Thursday were waiting for American officials to formally confirm the identity of a body found in the freezer of a passport forgery den they believe to be that of U.S. national Charles Edward Ditlefsen, a police source said.

Two of three American suspects are currently held in a Bangkok prison in connection with the dismembered body. The man they believe responsible for murdering Ditlefsen, who was on the run from the FBI nearly four decades, remains hospitalized for injuries sustained during his capture after he shot a police officer.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/10/06/frozen-body-identified-american-publisher/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-07

"The man they believe responsible for murdering Ditlefsen, who was on the run from the FBI nearly four decades, remains hospitalized for injuries sustained during his capture after he shot a police officer. "

He must have received quite severe injuries to have been hospitalised all this time. , Well done the Police - he clearly deserved it after shooting an Officer.

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I thought it was an Eastern European.....

yes but I believe the words used were "of Hungarian descent".  Several other articles on the internet say The remains have now been identified as being those of Charles Edward Ditlefsen, a Hungarian-born U.S. citizen and former California railway executive.

Edited by gk10002000
additions

I don't know what science is used to determine exactly where a body comes from & can narrow it down to say Hungary, not next door in Austria -- but obviously there is one.  Maybe with a name like  "Ditlefsen" he was a 2nd generation American with east European parents. So causing confusion.

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't know what science is used to determine exactly where a body comes from & can narrow it down to say Hungary, not next door in Austria -- but obviously there is one.  Maybe with a name like  "Ditlefsen" he was a 2nd generation American with east European parents. So causing confusion.

Not relevant to this story but to your question. I'm half Hungarian (mother's side) and have had my DNA sequenced. Most analyses have identified my Hungarian background. I do get a lot of German also, but my paternal grandmother was German. Do remember that the original Hungarians were not an Indo-European people and were ethnically very different from their neighbouring Germans and Slavs. That said, the name given for the deceased does not look at all Hungarian to me...   

44 minutes ago, Docno said:

Not relevant to this story but to your question. I'm half Hungarian (mother's side) and have had my DNA sequenced. Most analyses have identified my Hungarian background. I do get a lot of German also, but my paternal grandmother was German. Do remember that the original Hungarians were not an Indo-European people and were ethnically very different from their neighbouring Germans and Slavs. That said, the name given for the deceased does not look at all Hungarian to me...   

Ditlefsen sounds Scandanavian

40 minutes ago, hobobo said:

What's the significance of him being a publisher?

He published calendars featuring old trains which is even less relevant, unless, I suppose, he had printing skills knowledge. 

Maybe helped with passport forgery, just a guess mind. 

On 06/10/2016 at 11:14 PM, Bluespunk said:

He published calendars featuring old trains which is even less relevant, unless, I suppose, he had printing skills knowledge. 

Maybe helped with passport forgery, just a guess mind. 

Bluespunk, your guess is good one. They probably need his expert advice on printing. You can't sit around the bar and ask if anyone knows where to get the special papers for printing the passport can you?

5 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

"The man they believe responsible for murdering Ditlefsen, who was on the run from the FBI nearly four decades, remains hospitalized for injuries sustained during his capture after he shot a police officer. "

He must have received quite severe injuries to have been hospitalised all this time. , Well done the Police - he clearly deserved it after shooting an Officer.

yes, I almost got a wet patch in my panties at the thought of the wonderful thai police dishing out random vigilante punishments

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He published calendars featuring old trains

Beware the murky world of trainspotters -- gentle, bespectacled, soot covered folk who hide dark secrets. Be afraid, be very afraid.

37 minutes ago, madusa said:

Bluespunk, your guess is good one. They probably need his expert advice on printing. You can't sit around the bar and ask if anyone knows where to get the special papers for printing the passport can you?

no but you could ask on TV

What on earth is relevant about the murdered American's ethnicity?  Apart from the American Indians all Americans are immigrants.  It just depends on the timeline as to how long they have been there.  There is now an obsession with this as if ethnicity apportions blame for peoples actions.

5 hours ago, madusa said:

You aren't going to get the special paper for printing a passport anyway. Well, unless you have a lot more money than these guys looked like they had. The usual way to make a fake passport is to start with an old real passport.  I don't know about other countries, but the U.S. embassy punches holes in the old passport when you renew so they can't easily be reused. That's one reason it's such a big deal getting a lost or stolen passport replaced. You can do it once. Next time I think you run into real difficulties.