What Are 5 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Came to Thailand?

Andrew C

Most of what I wish I knew or remembered had not so much to do with Thai women, but rather how I could have made a living here much earlier ... some 15 years earlier ... If I had known 15 years ago what I have learned in the past three years, I would have called it quits much much earlier and come on over ... It would have been a struggle - but I believe I would have survived and even prospered a bit ... But the unknown kept me at home - safe - but unsatisfied and frustrated ... So I am making the best of it now ... 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Thais are mostly good people, but they just don't think like the rest of us (i.e., the rest of the world). In fact, for the most part, they don't care what we think or feel about anything important.

4. With proper networking and the right amount of ambition, you can do almost anything you want [professionally] in Thailand.

3. How to speak and read Thai.

2. Just like in the west, hot, classy Thai women want a guy that makes good money. And for the most part, only trashy women or ones with an agenda date foreigners. Also, attractive, young Thai women will be less interested in you as you approach 40. (Had I known that last part, I might've hung on to one when I was younger. Although probably not...)

1. Face culture exists.

57 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

1. Rubish

2. Total rubish

3. So you prefer lady boys.

4. Even more rubish than 1 and 2.

5. Posative and totaly rubish.

6.. you are having a laugh aren't you minus 10 points.

So in total all rubish but point 6 is pathetic.

1 why?

2 why?

3 no, but if you do dont bring them back to your house either

4 why?

5 why?

can you give use your 5 gems of advice rather than trying to detract from mine without any reason?

just a note. the guys who follow my points live a great life in thailand. those that dont tend to be not as happy.

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

1 why?

2 why?

3 no, but if you do dont bring them back to your house either

4 why?

5 why?

can you give use your 5 gems of advice rather than trying to detract from mine without any reason?

just a note. the guys who follow my points live a great life in thailand. those that dont tend to be not as happy.

I am mearly saying I disagree with all your things you wished you knew is all. Your little jem at the end another load of total rubish by the way

20 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I am mearly saying I disagree with all your things you wished you knew is all. Your little jem at the end another load of total rubish by the way

20 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

you said my points were wrong without adding anything. defeats the point of having a discussion. you should not join a discussion unless you have something to add.

are you in pattaya? i want you to meet my crowd. some of them can tell you their sob stories because they did not follow some simple rules, the rest can tell you how great their lives in thailand have been.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

I wish i had known that..

1The Pattaya flyers club was NOT a gathering of Glider enthusiasts ( i wondered why they laughed at me,when i asked where i could join)

2That bar girls can be less than economical with the truth

3That some expats can be less than economical with the truth

4 That,there really is a difference between sex for love and sex for money:cheesy:

5 That jimmy White was serious when he posed for that condo selling add on the Sukumvit Road.

That 'warranty' means absolutely nothing and that so many things you buy locally will be a frustrating waste of money... In 4 years I've had such bad luck with so many things... just off the top of my head I can think of 5 kettles, 2 fridges, a blender, 3 bicycles, countless powerboards, a digital camera, 3 external hard drives, a laptop harddrive, a rice cooker, an air-conditioner, a car battery charger, a drill and that's only the half of it. Never before have I experienced such unbelievable rates of product failure... even worse, not a single thing was fixed or replaced despite most being under warranty.

45 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you said my points were wrong without adding anything. defeats the point of having a discussion. you should not join a discussion unless you have something to add.

are you in pattaya? i want you to meet my crowd. some of them can tell you their sob stories because they did not follow some simple rules, the rest can tell you how great their lives in thailand have been.

No and again no. My crowd indeed top dog eh, read enough self inflicted half reality sob stories on here. Your simple rules are just that simple. But please you keep on following your Simple yet pointless rules if it makes you happy.

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No and again no. My crowd indeed top dog eh, read enough self inflicted half reality sob stories on here. Your simple rules are just that simple. But please you keep on following your Simple yet pointless rules if it makes you happy.

ha. we are just an average bunch of guys. most have made the run of the mill mistakes, myself included, should have followed some simple rules. here is another simple rule. stay out of discussions unless you have something to add.

Besides a possible long wait, treatment in Government hospitals can be better than the Private Hospital business, and a fraction of the price.

When I first came years ago, I used the private hospitals, and however minor the complaint, I was always admitted for 'observation'.

In those days, it normally equated to an average bill of around 8,000 baht per night, for the room, doctors, nurses, food, medications and other inclusions. Now at Government Hospital, I get treated in A & E, and my bill rarely exceeds 300 baht, unless expensive nebulizers are prescribed.    

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well go on then, tell us your insight. 

24 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Don't see your rules.... Care to share? 

58 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ha. we are just an average bunch of guys. most have made the run of the mill mistakes, myself included, should have followed some simple rules. here is another simple rule. stay out of discussions unless you have something to add.

So you think you have something to add 55555 are you a bully in all forms of life or do you just enjoy being a wanna be on here.

46 minutes ago, Strange said:

Don't see your rules.... Care to share? 

I have no rules I do as I please why post RULES  to others in the vain hope people will blindly follow then repost as if it's happened exactly to them as well. It called brain washing. There is plenty of evidence on this site. Then again it could be there alter ego's

Edited by Deepinthailand

2 hours ago, tails said:

That 'warranty' means absolutely nothing and that so many things you buy locally will be a frustrating waste of money... In 4 years I've had such bad luck with so many things... just off the top of my head I can think of 5 kettles, 2 fridges, a blender, 3 bicycles, countless powerboards, a digital camera, 3 external hard drives, a laptop harddrive, a rice cooker, an air-conditioner, a car battery charger, a drill and that's only the half of it. Never before have I experienced such unbelievable rates of product failure... even worse, not a single thing was fixed or replaced despite most being under warranty.

Are your home electric systems OK ?

What voltage is installed in your house ?

240 v ?

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So you think you have something to add 55555 are you a bully in all forms of life or do you just enjoy being a wanna be on here.

topic was what we wished we knew before we arrived her. i replied what i wished i knew. how can i be wrong about that? thats what i added, a response to the topic, along with the other more constructive members of the community.  i have never bullied anyone in my life. not sure where you got that idea. every time some one calls me a liar i offer to meet up with them to prove my facts. people like to hide behind their keyboards it seems. how many posts have you done now and added absolutely nothing to this conversation? NOTHING i bet you just cant give up can you?  

9 hours ago, Truscott said:

why did people laughed at saying swaddie khar.

Are you male or female?

OK fair call l thought it would be obvious l'm male and not AC-DC person, gay, transvestite, etc. etc. etc.etc. :laugh:

4 hours ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

Totally avoid agreeing to start a relationship (girlfriend or boyfriend) with a Thai.

When you need companionship, you can pay any coin operated local.   It will save you big time/in the long run.

Knowing that Thais love money way above health, being honest, being faithful,  being honest, etc.  Not to fall for the I Love You line.

if you are concerned about spending more then you think you should on an apartment/monthly rental, try renting in a upper end Thai apartment building (at least 5,000 baht per month) which would have the basic a/c & western bathroom).

Thailand's emergency health services are very weak.   

Don't buy a car or a condo.

certainly agree with buying a condo. the flexibility of renting is the best. new cars are great value here and the resale is very good. having said that i only have one because i have 2 kids to move around. a scooter is far more convenient.

22 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

guys got nothing to add but he cant just leave. wait, i am sure he has more to add without really adding anything useful or interesting.

Talking to oneself is not considered normal. Nore may I add I'd goading or bullying or constantly ramming your misguided ideas on others.

43 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I have no rules I do as I please why post RULES  to others in the vain hope people will blindly follow then repost as if it's happened exactly to them as well. It called brain washing. There is plenty of evidence on this site. Then again it could be there alter ego's

But, you know, you are posting in a "5 things" thread, then trolling around calling "Rubbish" without actual contribution. 

Pretty dumb.... 

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Talking to oneself is not considered normal. Nore may I add I'd goading or bullying or constantly ramming your misguided ideas on others.

Read the thread, you are the only one being impossible

10 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

who is talking to themselves?

who is bullying?

who is ramming any ideas any where. i just answered what i wished what i wished i knew before i moved here.

you have  done about 6 posts now and you still have added NOTHING. why not just add something to the conversation or leave? bet you cant.

There is really only one thing to know before coming and that is everything you need, or want to know

about Thailand can be found on Thai Visa. There are many helpful past posts or simply post the question.

Learning from other peoples mistakes and successes can be found here. People are willing to share.

1/ All things Visa related (Ubon Joe)

2/ All things medical (Sheryl)

3/ Real Estate. Accept the fact that you can't own land legally ( just work a rounds)

Buying off plan is extremely risky theses days, there are plenty of completed condos

selling at off plan prices. I would not recommend buying as an investment but if you

are going to buy and live in Thailand long term, a condo does make sense.

4/ Be legal with your stay, it just takes a little organization and understanding the rules.

5/ Don't let the little head, think for the big head. Use your years of experience and failure

to learn from. Renting is definitely cheaper than buying and you get to upgrade and test drive

new models as often as you wish. Which ever path you take, never make yourself worth more

dead than alive and have a plan 'B' for when your relationship goes pear shaped.

On 10/7/2016 at 9:05 PM, swissie said:

I was too lazy do do my "homework" beforehand.
Otherwise I would have been better prepared to cope with the fact that Farangs and Thai's think "differently".
And more: That some segments of "thinking differently", can not be "Bridget-over".

Reminds me of the song "We are the same, but not the same". (Johnnie Cash, among others).
Cheers.
PS: I will list the other 639 points in a separate thread.

Or the T-shirt that says "Same Same   But Different"

1) Wish I knew how easy and meaningless it is for Thai girls to use the word "love". 

2) Wish I had understood the "face" thing. 

3) Wish I had known how "stubborn/determined" a Thai fem can be. 

4) Wish I had known that farangs were so in demand. 

5) Wish I had known that when they say "yes", they say it even though they didn't understand a single word I said. 

But despite 1 to 5, what I really wish is that I had started doing Thailand about 25 years sooner. 

Hindsight is 20/20.