FEAR....

Teak

So..it seems that the expat community lives in a 90 day fear of expulsion from the Kingdom ?

If approved every 90 days, you get another 90 days, regardless of your visa tenure, despite having a wife and children and or business and/or having being there for decades ?

Your life may turn upside down every 90 days. Children, spouse to abandon upon notice without access  to a foreign visas. Ownership of an apartment to sell.

Politics are simply a passing gas, subject to a change of wind. Thankfully, in Thailand, change is a constant. .....Ken

If you'd write "every year fear" I could do something with this thread.

90 days?

Sure, with a yearly extension you live as a "temporary" foreigner.

Rules could change, that's my fear.

Exchange rates could tumble (and they have for some).

My basic fear: I have got a reasonable amount of Thai Baht in the country and would have problems to get it changed on 24h/7 day notice.

Nothing is sure in life.

A stroke could hit me every other moment.

Does your fear limit to Chiang Mai (forum)??

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Anyone ever heard of people being deported for not doing 90 day reports?

Never heard of anyone being deported over a 90 report Maybe fined but never deported

I think he is paranoid I have been here for 15 years  so wonder why he is paranoid

Fear is part of life.I fear having another stroke, driving on local roads that are inhabited every day by motoring maniacs.Now I have something else to fear, 90 day reporting.

Please Buddha did I put another  beer in the fridge last night ?  the suns going down:sad:

Edited by Sparkles

6 hours ago, stament said:

Sorry I dont understand this. Have I missed some recent visa change?

Take a look at the posters location. 

6 hours ago, stament said:

Sorry I dont understand this. Have I missed some recent visa change?

Me thinks you should up your meds dosage.

" So..it seems that the expat community lives in a 90 day fear of expulsion from the Kingdom ? "

If you were to conduct a pole re your topic, I think the vast majority wouldn't be all that afraid. 

But, just my opinion. :saai:

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you'd write "every year fear" I could do something with this thread.

90 days?

Sure, with a yearly extension you live as a "temporary" foreigner.

Rules could change, that's my fear.

Exchange rates could tumble (and they have for some).

My basic fear: I have got a reasonable amount of Thai Baht in the country and would have problems to get it changed on 24h/7 day notice.

Nothing is sure in life.

A stroke could hit me every other moment.

Does your fear limit to Chiang Mai (forum)??

Nothing to fear but fear itself. Fear I think becomes more prevalent as we age and especially when looking in the mirror in the morning. I think our mind triggers the image of a much younger version of oneself. Thus the phrase mirror mirror on the wall who is the most hansum man of them all. You you old fart by far. You missed your chance to become a movie star. So now you are in Thailand with a young girl friend, so maybe its time to hit the send. 

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Fear is part of life.I fear having another stroke, driving on local roads that are inhabited every day by motoring maniacs.Now I have something else to fear, 90 day reporting.

Please Buddha did I put another  beer in the fridge last night ?  the suns going down:sad:

Being a bit pedantic having had a minor stroke in April this year, i was told to avoid beer, instead drink red wine, so Sparkles red wine for you my son, and it don't need to go in fridge!

As far as the opener is concerned the 90day is no problem at all, it's the extensions that tax the nerves a bit!

I dont have any "fears" anymore as I changed my primary residential place to Philippines 5 years ago. I just get a tourist visa twice a year and have a 30 day entry for another visit giving GF and I 5 months there. GF doesnt pay for a visa (ASEAN) I kept up my old room and we leave all our things there. I had been using Non immigrant O visas for years but my local consul closed down so I re-assessed my options. 

I got a Resident Retirement Visa in RP 6 years ago and I have NEVER been to immigration. I have an ID card which I renew every 3 years for $10 a year. Money on term deposit in the bank similar amount to Thailand. Pretty easy process and not subject to the vagaries of public servants

Just now, maxcorrigan said:

Being a bit pedantic having had a minor stroke in April this year, i was told to avoid beer, instead drink red wine, so Sparkles red wine for you my son, and it don't need to go in fridge!

As far as the opener is concerned the 90day is no problem at all, it's the extensions that tax the nerves a bit!

Max I have been drinking 2 glasses of red wine, every night, for the last 40 years +. Doesn't need to go in the fridge in Thailand ? you must drink the good stuff.Mine goes in the fridge and the occasional piece of ice to quell the taste of added fruit.Drs recommend 1 glass a night. I always have  a minimum of 2 allowing a margin of error on their part.

Re 90 day stress, read the other threads currently running on this forum and then check you BP.

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Max I have been drinking 2 glasses of red wine, every night, for the last 40 years +. Doesn't need to go in the fridge in Thailand ? you must drink the good stuff.Mine goes in the fridge and the occasional piece of ice to quell the taste of added fruit.Drs recommend 1 glass a night. I always have  a minimum of 2 allowing a margin of error on their part.

Re 90 day stress, read the other threads currently running on this forum and then check you BP.

Right i will double my intake immediately, and i do put mine (wine) in the fridge, not so sure about the ice though! so take care and cheers! BP low, Heart beat erratic!

So..it seems that the expat community lives in a 90 day fear of expulsion from the Kingdom ?

If approved every 90 days ...

If you're here on an annual extension of stay there's nothing to do every 90 days except report your presence here.

And if you're fulfilling the requirements for your annual extension, there's no need to "fear" that event either.

Obviously some people seem to either have a reason to be afraid or they're extremely paranoid. Can't recall any announcement of someone meeting all the stated requirements and abiding by the law being expelled.

Thankfully, in Thailand, change is a constant. .....Ken

I've been here for over 15 years, including 10 years on extensions of stay based on retirement and have not noticed any significant change in the requirements.

Edited by Suradit69

Few weeks ago it was the Zika virus that was going to wreak havoc through the community,before that venturing into a shopping mall was running the gauntlet of terrorists.As Mr Brad so eloquently said fear is choice.How life unfolds depends a great deal on your own mindset

I live here on 1 year extensions via my work permit with more than 20 years working in Thailand. RP application under consideration. 

Over the last 20+ years, many small businessmen friends have had their work permits(and thus non-imm B extensions) cancelled often on the whim of a local IO or visiting minibus of IO's from CW - All had their lives turned upside down as per the OP worries - What a mess. 24 hours to leave the country, or max 7 days with an emergency extension applied for at your local friendly immigration office.

Then a few years a go, I had my own WP (and thus extension) cancelled for no reason whatsoever and it caused me a major problem getting together all the required paperwork to support the application for a non-imm B, plus the expense of short notice overseas travel and hotel bookings, uncertainties for issuance of the non-B visa at the Thai Embassy(each has ever changing different rules), disruption to business, family life, everything. My life was turned upside down for a few weeks sorting it all out.

For every year afterwards when my 1 year extension was due, I worried a lot, and planned ahead for it being denied and maybe having to leave Thailand permanently(All funds out of Thailand or controllable from overseas), non-imm B visa application pack prepared, emergency travel funds, etc etc.

But just how do you prepare to leave your family of 15 years, sell your business, car, other large financial assets that can't be simply disposed of during a 7 day extension or while visiting here on a tourist visa?

Eventually, I just came to the point where I didn't give a sh1t anymore & sorted out a commercial packer to containerise and store any expensive business capital equipment to be shipped to a destination to be advised. Kept all difficult to sell assets to a minimum, got a low price disposable car. Rented other stuff that I would normally buy outright. Forgot any ideas of ever buying a property. (dismissed as stupid would be a better statement)

For in the end, If Thailand don't want me - I don't care - I'll take my ass, assets and skills and set up in another country. It would be nice if the family followed - but knowing how much like vapourware Thai families are, nothing is guaranteed here when the Farang breadwinners face is no longer around to keep things on a level keel. Seen that little horror picture show many times too - but that's another post.

Of course, I'd prefer that any of the above scenarios were NOT to happen. However, all expats living here must realize we have little influence on the many curved balls thrown in our direction with the potential to trash our lives here in LOS - and that the speed of change and number of detrimental factors is increasing very rapidly of late - some kind of contingency planning is thus advised for everyone. :jap:

I live here on 1 year extensions via my work permit with more than 20 years working in Thailand. RP application under consideration. 

Over the last 20+ years, many small businessmen friends have had their work permits(and thus non-imm B extensions) cancelled often on the whim of a local IO or visiting minibus of IO's from CW - All had their lives turned upside down as per the OP worries - What a mess. 24 hours to leave the country, or max 7 days with an emergency extension applied for at your local friendly immigration office.

Then a few years a go, I had my own WP (and thus extension) cancelled for no reason whatsoever and it caused me a major problem getting together all the required paperwork to support the application for a non-imm B, plus the expense of short notice overseas travel and hotel bookings, uncertainties for issuance of the non-B visa at the Thai Embassy(each has ever changing different rules), disruption to business, family life, everything. My life was turned upside down for a few weeks sorting it all out.

For every year afterwards when my 1 year extension was due, I worried a lot, and planned ahead for it being denied and maybe having to leave Thailand permanently(All funds out of Thailand or controllable from overseas), non-imm B visa application pack prepared, emergency travel funds, etc etc.

But just how do you prepare to leave your family of 15 years, sell your business, car, other large financial assets that can't be simply disposed of during a 7 day extension or while visiting here on a tourist visa?

Eventually, I just came to the point where I didn't give a sh1t anymore & sorted out a commercial packer to containerise and store any expensive business capital equipment to be shipped to a destination to be advised. Kept all difficult to sell assets to a minimum, got a low price disposable car. Rented other stuff that I would normally buy outright. Forgot any ideas of ever buying a property. (dismissed as stupid would be a better statement)

For in the end, If Thailand don't want me - I don't care - I'll take my ass, assets and skills and set up in another country. It would be nice if the family followed - but knowing how much like vapourware Thai families are, nothing is guaranteed here when the Farang breadwinners face is no longer around to keep things on a level keel. Seen that little horror picture show many times too - but that's another post.

Of course, I'd prefer that any of the above scenarios were NOT to happen. However, all expats living here must realize we have little influence on the many curved balls thrown in our direction with the potential to trash our lives here in LOS - and that the speed of change and number of detrimental factors is increasing very rapidly of late - some kind of contingency planning is thus advised for everyone. :jap:

After 20 + years working here.
You could have applied for a PR after the first 3 years.
Was a lot cheaper and easier then also....

I think i understand the reason for the post . I have lived here many years on retirement visa without any major problems

with immigration .However despite being careful not to fall foul of the regulations i do suffer from a feeling of anxiety before my renewal date and relieved afterwards. Part of the problem does not concern the regulations as such  but the individual interpretation by different immigration officials at different times according to their mood on the day.

15 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Never heard of anyone being deported over a 90 report Maybe fined but never deported

I think he is paranoid I have been here for 15 years  so wonder why he is paranoid

I have been here 18 years and still fear that they might suddenly increase the financial requirement - as they did 18 years ago, but this time beyond my resources.

27 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

I have been here 18 years and still fear that they might suddenly increase the financial requirement - as they did 18 years ago, but this time beyond my resources.

I am jealous.....looking fwd to the day I move to CM....

Enjoy....