FEAR....

Teak

13 hours ago, applepie16 said:

So....what is this trend towards starting sentences with 'so' all about?

I don't know about other countries but Canadians do it all the time. In daily speech and in writing. I don't even notice it. So there you go.☺

15 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Being a bit pedantic having had a minor stroke in April this year, i was told to avoid beer, instead drink red wine, so Sparkles red wine for you my son, and it don't need to go in fridge!

As far as the opener is concerned the 90day is no problem at all, it's the extensions that tax the nerves a bit!

Bad news for you, I am an oenophilist (wino before I got a clooege education) drinking that red wine. Nonetheless had a stroke last December. Good news...it was as a result of my heart operation earlier in the week and cleared within two hours. Hmmm, come to think of it, I have a wine tasting coming up shortly.

Five years, no burning concern about not be allowed to stay. In that case, Thailand looses a good guy and his daily retirement spending here. Reality, I have a moderate income and can live many places, I chose Chiang Mai.

5 hours ago, Farang99 said:

I have been here 18 years and still fear that they might suddenly increase the financial requirement - as they did 18 years ago, but this time beyond my resources.

Last week I was in Vancouver getting my usual 'non-O'(family) and suddenly had to show proof of 400,000thb or $15,000cad...never had this issue before. The "new-rule" requirements are now being enforced(at least in Vancouver) ,the kicker is this....- $200cad for a multi-entry-Tourist visa (6-mon) with proof of 200,000thb !...I wonder how many backpacker's will be able to show this (on their own).Now that should be good for grass-root tourism.

A few of you understood my point. Anyone intelligent has this sense of residential vulnerability as politics change in Thailand. From my experience since 1986 I have known Westerners forced out for a variety of reasons, usually due to having a coveted successful business. Times are different now. We used to all wear gold at one time to trade for infractions, real or imposed.  The Thai system had a constant set of rules. A Thai system, of course, but once understood, reasonably equitable, regardless of your ethnicity. This is now not the situation. In my opinion, only the most foolish would retire to age and become vulnerable in Thailand.

My youngest daughter has Thai citizenship and 21 years of age. I still have free use of the land and house I built in rural Thailand , but I do not trust my legal right to remain and age in the country at the whim of the next 'government' ruling.  I have learned to trust and respect my ex relatives, several pu yai ban and the villagers, in general, since 1986, but, people are afraid now                 ....Ken

Obviously you know nothing about the Thai system of offering an ' incentive'. Especially, if not Thai, you must know your position.

You offer 'up'. Never condescend ;  if you wish to be successful in your intent.  Throwing money on the table shows the fool and makes you most vulnerable.

Thais generally think of Westerners as 'children with money', You just supported their understanding of us.

...Ken

On 10/8/2016 at 4:28 PM, chicowoodduck said:

Never fear....have Plan B sitting firmly in my back pocket....??

You're plan B is to have few thousand dollars worth of THB in your back pocket in case you get deported?

15 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

After 20 + years working here.
You could have applied for a PR after the first 3 years.
Was a lot cheaper and easier then also....

True enough :thumbsup:

Sadly though(as far as applying for PR)... my first 5 years were spent working around the Islands of Southern Thailand. The logistics of travelling to Bangkok for necessary short notice PR admin processing interviews would have been nigh on impossible to comply with.

Nowadays, I would hesitate to use the words 'PR application' and 'easy' in the same sentence ...perhaps even during the same day :rolleyes:

Trying to come back 'on topic'... I was originally happy with the annual extension of my non-imm 'B' based on working/WP. This worked well and was relatively predictable and hassle free for over a decade - however, in recent years, as all classes of long term stay visa's have come under more scrutiny, coupled with frequent purges where folks get there WP (and Visa) cancelled for no apparent reason (traceable to immigration law) - I decided to apply for PR.

Thus it was the worries expressed by the OP that pushed me towards trying to get PR - nowadays with a family, children in school, long term established business and all the other lifestyle baggage, PR(if eventually issued) provides some security, in that the cancellation of my work permit does not cancel my permission to stay here, meaning I don't have to leave Thailand at short notice anymore - Thai PR was simply not necessary in the early days - I I do see the benefits of it now, even with all the complexities, hassles and expense. :jap:

Edited by SteveB2
spelling, grammar, phrasing etc

On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 6:48 PM, biggles45 said:

I dont have any "fears" anymore as I changed my primary residential place to Philippines 5 years ago. I just get a tourist visa twice a year and have a 30 day entry for another visit giving GF and I 5 months there. GF doesnt pay for a visa (ASEAN) I kept up my old room and we leave all our things there. I had been using Non immigrant O visas for years but my local consul closed down so I re-assessed my options. 

I got a Resident Retirement Visa in RP 6 years ago and I have NEVER been to immigration. I have an ID card which I renew every 3 years for $10 a year. Money on term deposit in the bank similar amount to Thailand. Pretty easy process and not subject to the vagaries of public servants

Its not too much a mess Pilippines? Busses airplaines roads rob crimes ? I

I would like to try, fed up Th after 14 y

I lived and worked in the Philippines for a while. I was in Northern Luzon ,San Fernando. Totally lawless ,corruption on a grand scale, walk into a 7/11 there's a guy with a firearm on security duty,Roads are appalling ,National  Highway, that runs north, was a goat track.Filippino food was terrible seems everything is deep fried and of dubious content.

Kids on our local beach threw stones at you unless you gave them money,which I did not ,wore a few bruises

Theory,from locals, was that since the US moved out of Subic Bay decades ago the place went downhill,money was just not circulating. If you think the traffic is bad in Bangkok Manila is worse.Smoke belching jeepneys make songteaws look good.

Only positves, mostly English spoken everywhere and the ladies, some are very attractive and will fall in love with you at a moments notice.even sooner on the internet.

That was 20 years ago maybe its better now but I doubt it especially with the maniac who now runs the country.