Where To Go Off Roading In Kanchanaburi

tomtaylor1

Pass Kanchanaburi toward 3 pagoda pass on road 323 and go west on road 3272 up toward Baan Pilok when you get to the second dam up there. The new name of it is Vajiralongkorn dam but it is more known for the old name, can't remember now

It's quite perfect to go from Pattaya / Bangkok in the morning and stay the first night by the dam, I used V.I.P resport but there are many cheap resorts there 

It's really nice to stay with Auntie Glen, the old Australian woman living by the old tin mine up in Baan Pilok. She is very interesting and has many old stories to tell. Her cakes are famous

Search for "เหมืองสมศักดิ์" and check the images, and then  Auntie Glen and Somsak mining for some English  https://www.google.com/maps/@14.6544009,98.4032366,300m/data=!3m1!1e3 

I haven't been there for a long time, I miss her, great lovely place, beautiful roads. You can make it as challenging as you want up there. There are also roads into the wilderness on the south west side of the dam but I clearly recommend that you go up to Auntie Glen

You do not have to pay the entrance fee to the park to go there, just pass on road 3272 

Let me know how Auntie Glen is please

Good luck and enjoy

Edited by MikeyIdea

You'd need a transam with 40" high rims to get  there :)  

Ever been to Auntie Glen Transam? She is very interesting and lovely, interesting stories. I can highly recommend a trip there

She came to Thailand in 1964, same year I was born... :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I guess i am lucky to stumble onto this thread,going there this weekend .Have been a few times before and

never found nice roads to travel on.

I have an old toyota tiger,4x4 not modified and will be going alone,maybe the roads are all mud now?

Not really looking to get stuck,just want to play in the mud a little bit.

16 hours ago, jvs said:

I guess i am lucky to stumble onto this thread,going there this weekend .Have been a few times before and

never found nice roads to travel on.

I have an old toyota tiger,4x4 not modified and will be going alone,maybe the roads are all mud now?

Not really looking to get stuck,just want to play in the mud a little bit.

Auntie Glen also has an old Toyota Tiger 4*4 :)   It will get to her little paradise no problem.  I'd like to take the road by the Burmese border 14.645163, 98.392302, not done it yet. After having Auntie Glen's cakes, that would be super

The roads that goes into nowhere at the south west of the dam are a great fun adventure for mud but I bet they are a no-no right now, need to wait a few weeks. Google earth, pass the south tip of the dam and then up North on the west side of the dam.

Edited by MikeyIdea

I ordered off road bumpers in Kan.and are picking them up on Saturday.

Will try to do some fishing and hope to go see auntie Glenn,last serious off roading i did was

a lifetime ago in Alberta,3/4 ton GMC 454.

I have looked at other pick-ups here and i do not like the looks of the newer ones,Toyota Tiger still feels and looks like

a real pick-up.Automatic 3 liter has lots of power and enough clearance to go some where.

I have to go alone or with a buddy,Ann freeks out when we go somewhere near a river or a little slopy.

I will bring a chain just in case,

thanks Mikey.

Just came back from the trip,Bahn Pilok and Somsak mining.Nice ride all the way and back,easy to find also.

I arrived at Somsak mining after dark(not advicible) if anything happens to your lights you will be stuck until daylight .

I would imagine some one with just a car would say "i can make it there!"

Yes you can but, you will never get back out!!!After the sign that says 4x4 only you should not go with anyother kind if vehicle except

an off road motorbike.

I found out the place was booked solid for the weekend but they moved some people around and offered me a place to sleep!!

I was wondering how all of the people got there but they get trucked in,must be awful sitting in the back being shaking

like icecubes in a cocktail.But could be fun.Auntie Glen is a very nice person and we only spoke in Thai,does she speak English?

I did not try the cake because i left early the next day and i did not want to im pose any further.

I will go back there later and do some more driving in the area.

If you want to go there you should book ahead of time.

Next time i will bring more stuff,like a tent and my own pillow!!!!

Also visited a nice waterfall around there and looked around in the local park,will camp there next time around!

Also want to mention that both the park and the waterfall accepted my pink Thai id card and i payed the Thai fee.

The bumpers  i ordered are fantastic!!Good solid build and good service! I just ordered the standard off roaders for my type of vehicle

but they make everything from scratch so i would imagine they can build it anyway you like!

The welding is very good and after they finish it they send it out to get powder coated.

IIt takes about one hour to install them and i can recommend them if you are looking for a bumper or roll bar.

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

I would imagine some one with just a car would say "i can make it there!"

Yes you can but, you will never get back out!!!After the sign that says 4x4 only you should not go with anyother kind if vehicle except

an off road motorbike.

Ha, that made my day

Auntie Glen says - I've put up a sign saying only 4*4 but people still ignore it. They get down of course, but you see, then they can't get up again :biggrin:  Quite adventurous of you to take that road in the darkness I must say, I have never considered that

Fully booked was a bit of a surprise, she probably had a big group from a Thai company. Didn't think about it but better to call Charlie and check. What Thai's without 4*4s do is to book with Charlie, drive to the police station in Ban Pilok and park the car there and a driver will come and fetch

Going at the back of Auntie Glen's old white Tiger 4*4 -  I have wondered the same, you'd need a helmet to survive the trip there sitting on top of the rear axle :) Cracked skulls are bad for business

So lot's of Thai's there when you were there. Auntie Glen still speaks English with a slight Australian accent also after 52 years in Thailand, that got to be a record, I have never heard of any westerner who has been here longer

Jokkradin waterfall to the right a few kilometres before you turn left where the 4* 4 only sign is nice. It's free, has level area for tents, toilet and shower, the water comes straight from the waterfall and is exceptionally cold     14.686141, 98.380859