I Found God on Koh Phangan

Inspire

I Found God on Koh Phangan

Orlando Barton

bart15.jpg

Religion is a hot-button topic these days. Nearly every war being waged on the planet right now is about religion in one form or another. I’ll be honest and say I think we could all do with a little less adherence to these arcane notions. Then again, I’ve never felt “the spirit move me” the way some people claim it does.

That is until I went to Koh Phangan. Now, I know what most of you are thinking; “Orlando, Koh Phangan is home to the world’s most decadent Full Moon Party”. Did I slurp down a bucket of mushroom juice and find the Holy Spirit while gyrating to that awful trance music?

Not exactly.

The story this picture tells is about God … Chef God to be exact. While on a week long holiday on Samui’s little sister, I stumbled across the Santorini Restaurant in Thong Sala. As I strolled down a tourist-trap encrusted avenue I came upon an indoor/outdoor bistro that proudly displayed a large and colorful mural boasting food from Chef God. I don’t know about you, but I had to take a look at that menu.

For a shop-house hole-in-the-wall, the menu was quite “chefy”. Equally surprising was the efficient and courteous staff serving up a house red wine at just the right temperature. Without going into lurid detail, I found myself bellied up to the trough seven out of seven nights at Santorini; digging deeper into the oh-so-subtle menu each time.

On my fourth night, a diminutive Thai fella came out of the kitchen sat down at my table and introduced himself as God. “I thought you’d be taller” I said. God chuckled …. “Everybody says that”.

As it turns out, God spent nearly 15 years working for the Dusit Group and is a Cordon Bleu trained Chef. That explains the fancy food in such an oddball place. God is living the dream of all Chefs. He moved back to his native province, opened the restaurant he always wanted cooking the food he truly enjoys.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/found-god-koh-phangan/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2016-10-09

18 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Almost every war in HISTORY had been waged due to religion. Pits humans against humans to justify horrific acts of violence.

I would go with many wars throughout history have been waged due to religion, but what in the heck does that have to do with a story about an amazing restaurant?

13 hours ago, Inspire said:

Nearly every war being waged on the planet right now is about religion in one form or another.

Beg to differ. Nearly every war ever fought is always about the same thing: power. Religion is just window dressing. 

14 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Beg to differ. Nearly every war ever fought is always about the same thing: power. Religion is just window dressing. 

Don't forget money.  Religion?  That's just how they choose up sides.  And convince decent human beings that it's okay to kill another human being.  Over power and money.

I disagree with the statement that almost all warss are about religeon.

The American civil war,in which more Americans died that in all their other wars put together.

The Vietnamese war..politics and control

World war one...greed for conquest and control

World war two..lust for world domination,(the Jewish problem was a bi product,not the cause)

Korea......To prevent an invasion of another power.

The English civil war....To stop the reign of an autocratic power and to create political availability,and better education for the masses.

Malaya....To prevent the take over by another country.

Argentinian war,to stop a foreign power invading and taking possession of a sovereign country.

The Boer war  To keep the Dutch out of south Africa.

The Napoleonic wars.To prevent a french dictator expanding his empire across Europe.

The Zulu wars.To keep peace in Africa by quelling an uprising of the Zulu Chiefs.

There are more wars that were not caused by religion.

The war of the Roses,...who should inherit the throne of England.

But i think the ones that we should never be allowed to forget are,

The battle of the 5 armies...to prevent the take over of the misty mountains by the Orcs.

The battle for middle Earth,fought to prevent Saurons armies from putting a stop to the time of men.

The battle for Mordor,fought to give Frodo Baggins and Sam Gamgee time to get to mount Doom and destroy the one ring to 'in the darkness bind them'

And the one most important of all.

The Famous 4 against victor Doom and the Silver Surfer....control of the world.

Thank you and good night.

Three scousers at the pearly gates,and one says to jesus can we come in?il have to go and ask God he says.So he goes and tells god there's 3 scousers at the pearly gates can they come in?ok says god let them in, ten minutes later he returns to God an says The've gone, god says the scousers have gone?no says jesus, the fuckin pearly gates..

I think religion became a new way to encourage the peasantry to die happily in order to make someone more powerful and richer only when the peasantry had started to get wise to the old bullshit from the aristocracy . The previous motivating bullshit included the prospect of rape and plunder. Maybe one could pinpoint the  Crusades as a starting point for religion as a motivator? Religion as a device to manipulate the peasantry is slowly losing its power.  The aristocracy, no doubt, will soon come up with something equally effective so the peasantry (the less powerful, aspirational and gullible) will continue to spill their blood happily to no purpose. Race and 'preservation of culture' appear to be likely candidates to continue the con.

»I Found God on Koh Phangan« 

Sure – also did I – I saw "him" at the September 28th Full Moon Party last year...:rolleyes:

DSC03391e_arrival-of-a-prop.jpg

...and he was especially popular among the alien ladies that seem to know, who he is...:thumbsup:

DSC03409e_popular-prophet.jpg

By the way, seem like "God" is a Thai-name – male I think, but not that common – I luckily survived driving in Koh Samui's infamous traffic when I was there first time, can I presume it was because I rented the vehicle from God..?:smile:

7 hours ago, jerojero said:

Almost every war in HISTORY had been waged due to religion. Pits humans against humans to justify horrific acts of violence.

Complete and utter cobblers.  How many wars of religion were fought during the Ancient and Classical periods before the advent of the totalitarian monotheistic religions (Christianity and Islam)?

How about the Hundred Years War, the Italian wars of the Rennaissance?

And what about all the wars of Monarchical competition and expansion in 18th century europe?

And the wars of Nationalism in 19th century europe?

And the two great wars of Political Totalitarianism of the the 20th century?

You people are ridiculous with your constant trotting out of your "it's all the fault of religion, they're the worst" crap.

Oh I almost forgot, how many wars do you think were fought in Asia for religious reasons?  Like in China for instance?  How many years of history does China claim to have?

How about all those clan wars in Japan and the defeat of the Korean Armada?

And the Khmers conquering most of what is now Thailand and the rest, was that religious?

Were the wars in Indochina/Vietnam (with the huge death toll) religious?

Cambodia.

Korea again?

And all the anti and post-colonial wars in the rest of the developing world.

Ruanda, with a genocidal killing rate that far exceeded the Nazis best efforts:  "Hey everyone just go out and kill your neighbour because they're a different tribe"

The Congo.

I could quote you at least 3 to 1 secular to non-secular conflict.

But why should I have to do "the knowledge" for you?   

Just go away, try and get a comprehensive understanding of military history, and stop talking immature nonsense.

The same goes for all the others on TV who, in their monumental ignorance, like to chant the same "mantra" with monotonous regularity, and with such "religious" fervor.

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I disagree with the statement that almost all warss are about religeon.

The American civil war,in which more Americans died that in all their other wars put together.

The Vietnamese war..politics and control

World war one...greed for conquest and control

World war two..lust for world domination,(the Jewish problem was a bi product,not the cause)

Korea......To prevent an invasion of another power.

The English civil war....To stop the reign of an autocratic power and to create political availability,and better education for the masses.

Malaya....To prevent the take over by another country.

Argentinian war,to stop a foreign power invading and taking possession of a sovereign country.

The Boer war  To keep the Dutch out of south Africa.

The Napoleonic wars.To prevent a french dictator expanding his empire across Europe.

The Zulu wars.To keep peace in Africa by quelling an uprising of the Zulu Chiefs.

There are more wars that were not caused by religion.

The war of the Roses,...who should inherit the throne of England.

But i think the ones that we should never be allowed to forget are,

The battle of the 5 armies...to prevent the take over of the misty mountains by the Orcs.

The battle for middle Earth,fought to prevent Saurons armies from putting a stop to the time of men.

The battle for Mordor,fought to give Frodo Baggins and Sam Gamgee time to get to mount Doom and destroy the one ring to 'in the darkness bind them'

And the one most important of all.

The Famous 4 against victor Doom and the Silver Surfer....control of the world.

Thank you and good night.

Sounds like you have a point, but I do remember a very popular church hymn we sang when I was young " onward christian soldier marching onto war"  That was during the Vietnam War.  Just sayin

My take on this mythical creature called god.  IF He/she/it excists at all the he/she/it must be a sadistic <deleted>, let's it's own blood get nailed to a cross then stabbed with a Lance.  Let's the innocent die puts cruel horrible diseases onto the earth. Also allows people who are supposed to be in his image do terrible things to small defenceless children. No there's no god just twisted people who like to keep the myth going.

11 hours ago, jerojero said:

I think the statistic you're trying to remember is: more people have been killed in the name of religion than war and disease. I'm too lazy too look it up to confirm, I'll just leave that out there.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

My take on this mythical creature called god.  IF He/she/it excists at all the he/she/it must be a sadistic <deleted>, let's it's own blood get nailed to a cross then stabbed with a Lance.  Let's the innocent die puts cruel horrible diseases onto the earth. Also allows people who are supposed to be in his image do terrible things to small defenceless children. No there's no god just twisted people who like to keep the myth going.

Haven't you seen "Ancient Aliens' on the History Channel? God was a captain of the ship 'Heaven' who came from an older planet on our spiral arm of the galaxy to our younger planet and conducted genetic experiments to develop us as we are. He's no more sadistic than a dog breeder trying to create the perfect breeding line, sure he has to destroy pups along the way, but it's nothing personal. As far as his 'son', that was after god died (he was a creature after all, longer evolved but still just a creature) and wanted to create a short cut to his afterlife association (that's what religion is - the living benefiting the spirits and the spirits assisting the living), because life and death are just 2 sides to the same coin constantly flipping through infinity, unless a religion is able to break the cycle.

C'mon, I thought everyone knew this?!