Project increases crab catch

Project increases crab catch

SOMLUCK SRIMALEE
THE NATION
SONGKHLA

30296872-01_big.jpg

P Sub Anant Local Fisherman Community and PTTEP’s staff join to release the crab baby to the sea.Photo by PTTEP

SONGHLA:-- FIVE YEARS AGO, fishermen in Songkhla’s Singha Nakhon district could catch only 20 kilograms of crabs per boat per day on average because of dwindling crab populations.

But as of last year, they were catching up to 200kg a day thanks to the "crab bank" project set up |by the Local Fishermen's Community.

Launched in 2010, the project cultures crab eggs and then releases the babies into the sea, increasing the population, Anant Manil, head of the P Sub Anant Local Fishermen's Community, said recently.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-09

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

They seem more interested in thier mobile phones.

if the event is not captured and posted on facebook then it did not really happen. this seems to apply especially to crime in LOS.

just adding a side note. i am spending 6 months in esan and i did not know the rice paddies are home to many crabs. it is odd to see them walking across the roads hundreds of km away from the ocean. wonder if they are farmed.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

if the event is not captured and posted on facebook then it did not really happen. this seems to apply especially to crime in LOS.

just adding a side note. i am spending 6 months in esan and i did not know the rice paddies are home to many crabs. it is odd to see them walking across the roads hundreds of km away from the ocean. wonder if they are farmed.

They can be farmed; but not in Esan. They do in Surat, and Tak, Trang, ( South). Not really farming; they take the babies and put in water. They do not fish this area for many 2 years. Then they see went is caught.

What is pictured is Blue Swimming Crab. Not sure what type you are seeing( or size ). But even small ones will flavor a soup !

I have seen Talapia fish farmed in rice fields, before.

1 minute ago, bark said:

They can be farmed; but not in Esan. They do in Surat, and Tak, Trang, ( South). Not really farming; they take the babies and put in water. They do not fish this area for many 2 years. Then they see went is caught.

What is pictured is Blue Swimming Crab. Not sure what type you are seeing( or size ). But even small ones will flavor a soup !

I have seen Talapia fish farmed in rice fields, before.

interesting but can the esan field crabs be farmed in the fields? crazy seeing them walking around up here. a group of ducks were trying to figure out how to eat one that i saw yesterday.

20 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

interesting but can the esan field crabs be farmed in the fields? crazy seeing them walking around up here. a group of ducks were trying to figure out how to eat one that i saw yesterday.

You would need to show me want they look like. Many species of crab. I'd be eating the ducks :)