Takeaways: Trump aggressive, Clinton steady in tense debate

webfact

Takeaways: Trump aggressive, Clinton steady in tense debate

By STEVE PEOPLES and LISA LERER

ST. LOUIS (AP) — His candidacy spiraling out of control, Donald Trump faced Hillary Clinton on the debate stage Sunday night in the most critical moment of his political career.

Questions about Trump's preparation, policy knowledge and temperament all were overshadowed by the political fallout from Friday's release of a video that captured the Republican presidential nominee making predatory sexual comments about women a decade earlier.

With tensions high, the candidates refused to shake hands at the start of the debate at Washington University in St. Louis, then tangled repeatedly for 90 minutes.

Here are the top takeaways:

___

TRUMP GOES AFTER BILL CLINTON

After threatening for weeks to bring up Bill Clinton's sexual scandals, Trump finally went there.

Even before the debate began, Trump appeared alongside several women who had accused the former president of unwanted sexual advances decades earlier. It was a risky move that threatened to damage Trump's already poor standing with women. But with his campaign in virtual freefall and his party in revolt, he may have had nothing to lose.

Once on stage, Trump pointed out the four women he had invited to attend the debate — among them Paula Jones and Juanita Broaddrick, who accused Bill Clinton of sexual impropriety decades ago. He called Bill Clinton's actions "far worse" than Trump's own words on the 2005 recording, where he bragged that he could "do anything" to women because of his fame.

"There's never been anybody in the history of politics in this nation that's been so abusive to women," Trump said.

Trump also tried to link Hillary Clinton to her husband's actions. "Hillary Clinton attacked those same women and attacked them viciously," he said.

___

CLINTON TAKES THE HIGH ROAD

Clinton ignored Trump's attacks on her husband's infidelities, saying she was taking first lady Michelle Obama's advice: "When they go low, we go high."

The Democratic nominee stayed focused on her message, stressing Trump's history of sexist and racist remarks.

She fired off a list of people and groups he's insulted — including his years-long questioning of President Barack Obama's country of birth. "He owes the president an apology. He owes our country an apology and he needs to take responsibility for his actions and his words," she said.

___

TRUMP ON THE VIDEO

Trump's team had signaled he would deliver a sincere apology, on the debate stage, for the sexually predatory language he used on the 2005 video.

He did not.

Instead he repeatedly called his comments "locker room talk." And when pressed by a moderator, he refused to acknowledge that his reference to kissing women and grabbing their genitalia without their permission represented sexual assault.

"I apologize for those words. But it is things that people say," Trump said.

He then linked his comments to his ability to take on the Islamic State group.

"I'm very embarrassed by it. I hate it. But it's locker room talk. It's one of those things. I will knock the hell out of ISIS," he said.

___

CLINTON ON THE VIDEO

Clinton begged to differ. She said the remarks captured on video simply reinforce Trump's comments throughout his campaign.

She noted he has attacked a former Miss Universe, the Muslim parents of a slain American soldier and a Hispanic-American judge.

"Yes, this is who Donald Trump is," she said, later adding, "This is not who we are."

____

CLINTON DEFLECTS ON WALL STREET

Clinton was questioned, too, about her own Friday night revelation: the publication by the WikiLeaks organization of thousands of emails the group said belong to Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

The emails included a document that outlined what Clinton said in dozens of highly paid speeches before launching her presidential bid. Throughout her campaign, the Democrat has refused to release transcripts of the speeches.

Clinton deflected questions about what she told Wall Street bankers, lobbyists and corporate executives in the closed-door speeches, turning the focus to the efforts of Russia to influence the election via computer hacking.

"They are not doing it to get me elected," said Clinton, stressing Trump's ties to the country and praise for Russian leader Vladimir Putin. She said Americans "deserve answers" about Russia's involvement.

The U.S. government has lodged a formal complaint against Russia for trying to influence the outcome of the election.

___

TRUMP DISSES HIS RUNNING MATE

In one of the more unusual moments in a night full of them, Trump said he disagreed with his own running mate on the proper strategy to deal with the civil war in Syria.

A debate moderator pointed out that Trump's vice presidential nominee, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, had said provocations by Russia in Syria need to be met with "American strength" and the U.S. should be prepared to use air strikes against President Bashar Assad's government.

"He and I haven't spoken and I disagree," Trump said of Pence.

Pence and Trump's relationship is already strained due to Trump's comments in the 2005 video.

___

TRUMP TAKES ON MODERATORS

It took just 25 minutes for Trump to begin attacking the debate moderators, Anderson Cooper of CNN and Martha Raddatz of ABC.

The approach is in line with a popular attack line during his rallies, where he often calls the media "disgusting" and dishonest.

"It's nice to have one on three," Trump charged. He later added: "Why do you interrupt me all the time? Why don't you interrupt her?"

The moderators offered sharp words for Trump at times, as he repeatedly interrupted Clinton.

"Please allow her to respond, she didn't interrupt you," Cooper said.

___

TOUGH TONE UNTIL THE VERY END

The debate started with a contentious tone, with the candidates forgoing the traditional handshake in favor of simply standing side-by-side.

Trump repeatedly interrupted Clinton, referring to her as "the devil," saying she'd "be in jail" if he was in charge of U.S. laws and declaring she has "tremendous hate in her heart."

Clinton was ready with an attack: "I know you're into big diversion tonight," she said, "the way Republicans are leaving you."

It wasn't until the final question that they offered somewhat kind words for each other — and then only because an audience member asked what they respected about their opponents.

Clinton offered praise for Trump's grown children. "I don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does, but I do respect that," she said.

Trump described his opponent as a fighter: "She doesn't quit. She doesn't give up. I respect that."

The candidates then shook hands.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-10

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

"I'm very embarrassed by it. I hate it. But it's locker room talk. It's one of those things. I will knock the hell out of ISIS," he said.

Typical Trump, make a statement that sounds like an apology but isn't, then dismiss what he has done in the past and then deflect to a new topic "ISIS!". What the heck does ISIS have to do with it?

I didn't bother to get up early to watch the first debate, because that time it was nerve wracking. Now that Hillary has the presidency in the bag no such stress anymore.

So yes it will repeat on t.v. stations, for those that want to watch the entire thing fresh from the start, here you go. Me too, I will watch it now. 

For the more wonky, the full transcript with highlights!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/09/everything-that-was-said-at-the-second-donald-trump-vs-hillary-clinton-debate-highlighted/

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I didn't bother to get up early to watch the first debate, because that time it was nerve wracking. Now that Hillary has the presidency in the bag no such stress anymore.

So yes it will repeat on t.v. stations, for those that want to watch the entire thing fresh from the start, here you go. Me too, I will watch it now. 

I await your assessment with interest. I hope you can be objective in your reply.

Of course Trump exceeded expectations, at least he managed not to be vulgar which I guess that was where the bar was set after that lovely video. Of course Hillary won. She showed understanding and gave far better directly relevant answers. Who care how many zingers Trump got across. Like zingers make for a good President. Please, are we in 3rd grade now? Oh, yeah, Trump never matured past that, I forgot.

Clinton wins debate, but Trump exceeds expectations

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/09/politics/clinton-wins-debate-but-trump-exceeds-expectations/index.html

Edited by Silurian

(CNN)Donald Trump exceeded expectations, but Hillary Clinton won the second presidential debate, according to a CNN / ORC poll of debate watchers. The results showed a clear victory for Clinton, with 57% saying Clinton won, as opposed to 34% for Trump.

It's a strong showing for Clinton, but not as good as her performance at the first presidential debate, when 62% of debate watchers said she won.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/09/politics/clinton-wins-debate-but-trump-exceeds-expectations/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2016-10-10

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only thing steady about Clinton was the steady look of disbelief as she realized she was losing. When she arrived she thought she'd be leaving the victor. WOW, was she ever wrong :sad:.

Agreed. Trump kicked butt tonight despite CNN' s unscientific "poll". Plenty of other unscientific polls call him the winner and they are correct.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/09/heres-who-won-the-debate-according-to-the-internet/

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I await your assessment with interest. I hope you can be objective in your reply.

I hope he is more objective than you are.

I think Trump was good in the debate, he gets my win 60-40.

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

(CNN)Donald Trump exceeded expectations, but Hillary Clinton won the second presidential debate, according to a CNN / ORC poll of debate watchers. The results showed a clear victory for Clinton, with 57% saying Clinton won, as opposed to 34% for Trump.

It's a strong showing for Clinton, but not as good as her performance at the first presidential debate, when 62% of debate watchers said she won.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/09/politics/clinton-wins-debate-but-trump-exceeds-expectations/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg

So a CNN poll showed HRC won. WHAT A SURPRISE, NOT.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

cnn_logo.jpg

58% of those poled supported HRC, 57% said she won this debate. Does that mean Trump picked up some HRC supporters?

I watched the whole thing, I didnt see a HRC win. In fact there were times I thought she was gonna explode, by the look she had on her face.

Edited by dcutman

13 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Of course Trump exceeded expectations, at least he managed not to be vulgar which I guess that was where the bar was set after that lovely video. Of course Hillary won. She showed understanding and gave far better directly relevant answers. Who care how many zingers Trump got across. Like zingers make for a good President. Please, are we in 3rd grade now? Oh, yeah, Trump never matured past that, I forgot.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/09/politics/clinton-wins-debate-but-trump-exceeds-expectations/index.html

yeah this is it. he's set the bar so low that by dint of not whacking the microphone out of her hand and setting fire to the building, he is deemed to have 'done well'.

he still didn't actually answer any questions, he still doesn't have any policies and he still doesn't know what or where aleppo is. clinton 'wins' that debate simply by actually answering questions with policy proposals and a degree of expertise based on her career history in politics. he did his usual bluster, interrupted a lot, didn't know anything, wrote off his bragging about sexual assault while mic'd up for a TV show as 'locker room banter' and 'just words' again and then topped it all off with saying that if he were president he would have her thrown in jail - literally the act of a dictator.

he probably didn't lose any votes but then that's because the vast, vast majority of people who are going to vote for him are idiots. who apparently have very low ideas of what a 'win' comprises.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only thing steady about Clinton was the steady look of disbelief as she realized she was losing. When she arrived she thought she'd be leaving the victor. WOW, was she ever wrong :sad:.

I thought Clinton won, but whatever.  It doesn't matter.  Trump is toast.  This latest video (with more to come) is the end of DJ Trump.  He's insulted minority groups like Mexicans, Muslims, African-Americans, the disabled, POWs and vets with PTSD, journalists, etc., etc.  But now he's insulted a much larger demographic, i.e., women.  It's ok, Trump can go back and be the business shyster that he's always been.  That's what he's good at.

So what do you Trump guys think about a Pence/Carson ticket?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3829382/Trump-s-closest-allies-ready-jump-ship-Pence-Carson-ticket-want-Donald-drop-out.html

Trump is vulgar and unpleasant but he did make the crucial point: is insignificant 'locker room' talk of greater consequence than the use of the private email server by the second most senior administration official ( deemed by the FBI director to be extremely reckless)? 

Sure, Hillary is going to win the election but Trump won the debate hands down.

For an unseasoned politician, unschooled in Crooked Hillarys dirty tactics, Mr Trump gave better than he got.

Hillary's double-speak is now out there for all to see…..she says one thing to wall street thugs and a completely different thing to voters….what a dangerous cook.

That was the biggest takeout of the evening.

Who cares what CNN reports….they donate money to this ugly woman….of course they'll diss whoever is against her.

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I thought Clinton won, but whatever.  It doesn't matter.  Trump is toast.  This latest video (with more to come) is the end of DJ Trump.  He's insulted minority groups like Mexicans, Muslims, African-Americans, the disabled, POWs and vets with PTSD, journalists, etc., etc.  But now he's insulted a much larger demographic, i.e., women.  It's ok, Trump can go back and be the business shyster that he's always been.  That's what he's good at.

So what do you Trump guys think about a Pence/Carson ticket?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3829382/Trump-s-closest-allies-ready-jump-ship-Pence-Carson-ticket-want-Donald-drop-out.html

It's too late for anyone else to win. I get the feeling the GOP has decided this one belongs to her, and just want to save their own place at the trough.

Carson Pence would get my vote. I wouldn't want a holy roller to be president, but Carson would be excellent.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Trump's snuffling yet.

Didn't watch the debate, but from clips I just saw, Trump was prowling around the stage like a cornered animal. I do give him credit for coming out punching, though of course he relied on his usual shallow analysis and rhetoric. 

Clinton looked calm, analytic, in command and Presidential. Trump looked, as I said like a wounded animal, which he is.

We'll see who scores it a win for either side, my impression is that it was basically a mud sling-fest and probably a draw or maybe Clinton won slightly, but it doesn't matter even if Trump won he is still finished.  Justifiably. 

14 minutes ago, StevieH said:

yeah this is it. he's set the bar so low that by dint of not whacking the microphone out of her hand and setting fire to the building, he is deemed to have 'done well'.

he still didn't actually answer any questions, he still doesn't have any policies and he still doesn't know what or where aleppo is. clinton 'wins' that debate simply by actually answering questions with policy proposals and a degree of expertise based on her career history in politics. he did his usual bluster, interrupted a lot, didn't know anything, wrote off his bragging about sexual assault while mic'd up for a TV show as 'locker room banter' and 'just words' again and then topped it all off with saying that if he were president he would have her thrown in jail - literally the act of a dictator.

he probably didn't lose any votes but then that's because the vast, vast majority of people who are going to vote for him are idiots. who apparently have very low ideas of what a 'win' comprises.

LOL.

he still doesn't know what or where aleppo is

You can't even get the right person on that. It was the other guy.

BTW, the president can't throw anyone in jail. That is up to the court.

On the topic about having a private position and a public position, (wikileaks email) and she went on a ramble about Abe Lincoln, what the hell was that about.

Of course she panders to the big banks and corporations, they have given her $hundreds of millions in this campaign to keep the status quo.

Her public position is just blow smoke up the deplorable's asses.

Edited by dcutman

12 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

For an unseasoned politician, unschooled in Crooked Hillarys dirty tactics, Mr Trump gave better than he got.

Hillary's double-speak is now out there for all to see…..she says one thing to wall street thugs and a completely different thing to voters….what a dangerous cook.

That was the biggest takeout of the evening.

Who cares what CNN reports….they donate money to this ugly woman….of course they'll diss whoever is against her.

No, it was all about Abraham Lincoln. 5555555555555555555555