a few questions about retirement visa?

when can I make the application, at 50 or before?

can embassy in Lao issue me a visa?

how much?

need doctor report?

how much cost 90 days report?

do I have to leave Thailand once a year?

what advantage / disadvantage vs tourist visa?

how long can I stay out of Thailand without losing retirement visa?

thank you for your answers.

1. You cant apply until on or after your 50th birthday.
  2. Yes. They will issue a Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa. It will give you permission to stay for 90 days.
  3. 2,000 baht.
  4. No.
  5. Free.
  6. Once you have applied for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (over 50) you do not need to leave the country, and can renew the extension every year.
  7. Entering with a Non Immigrant Visa and applying for a 1 year Extension of Stay (not a visa) is the best option if you're planning to live or spend a lot of time here. If you're only staying short term Tourist Visas might be an option.
  8. You can stay out as long as you want, but must buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) before you leave and return before the expiry date if you want to renew. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elviajero said:
  1. You cant apply until on or after your 50th birthday.
  2. Yes. They will issue a Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa. It will give you permission to stay for 90 days.
  3. 2,000 baht.
  4. No.
  5. Free.
  6. Once you have applied for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (over 50) you do not need to leave the country, and can renew the extension every year.
  7. Entering with a Non Immigrant Visa and applying for a 1 year Extension of Stay (not a visa) is the best option if you're planning to live or spend a lot of time here. If you're only staying short term Tourist Visas might be an option.
  8. You can stay out as long as you want, but must buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) before you leave and return before the expiry date if you want to renew. 

This must vary by country as it appears that the Vancouver Consulate will not give you a Non-O unless you have family to visit. If you want to retire, they instruct you to apply for a Non O-A first. 

4 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

This must vary by country as it appears that the Vancouver Consulate will not give you a Non-O unless you have family to visit. If you want to retire, they instruct you to apply for a Non O-A first. 

If you are a citizen or a resident of the country where you are applying for a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over most embassies or official consulates will not issue it. They will only do a non-oa visa.

Most nearby embassies and consulates will issue a non-o visa since you would not be a citizen or resident.

• Like 1

One exception is the UK, where you can obtain a non-O if you are aged 65 or over and in receipt of the State Pension.

In this part of the world, Vientiane and Penang are the preferred destinations of choice for those seeking non-O's by virtue of being aged 50 or over.

• Like 1

Thai Embassies and Consulates located in western countries seem to operate by different rules than those located in the countries surrounding Thailand.

The former don't seem to understand the "Extension process" available at Immi offices within Thailand (different Ministries).

3 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

what are the differences between these oa, non oa and o visas?

There is only one kind of O-A visa and both are NON immigrant visas. 

People with intentions to retire in Thailand need to start with either an O-A visa or an O visa.

30 day stamps and tourist visas can be changed to O visas in Thailand for those who will are qualified for retirement extensions (an additional step).

O-A visas are only available in your home country (or third country where you're a permanent resident).

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, pattayalover said:

what are the differences between these oa, non oa and o visas?

A non-oa (OA) visa allows a one year entry and can only be issued at a embassy or official consulate in your home counttry or one where you are legal resident. Requirements for one can be found here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

A non-o visa only allows a 90 entry and can be applied for at many embassies and consulates.

No !   A single entry "O" visa allows one (non extendable) stay of 90 days. At the end of 90 days you are required to leave and if you wish to return another visa must be obtained.

If over 50 and can meet the financial requirements the "O" visa  allows you to extend your stay on the basis of retirement for one year. 

There is no retirement visa. You could obtain another "O" visa from Vientiane if you can meet the financial requirements of a subsequent extension of stay ( 800K Baht in a Thai bank or a monthly income of 65K Baht certified by your Embassy)

3 hours ago, pattayalover said:

with a O visa can I enter for 90 days and extend to 120 days? my plan is to go to Lao , get a retirement visa and stay rest of my life in Thailand. possible?

it can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office in thailand

more directly related to the retirement visa... than the little technicalities is Thai retirement situation specific as well, two items, I think quite apropro. first is the easy one, health cover. over an age more than 50, you pretty much need to have already been a BUPA customer... at least the last I know, others can advise if this is still true (for sure!).... and 2... if you are from the USA or similar country you should be prepared to hedge any defined benefit pension... 

Edited by maewang99

26 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

it can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office in thailand

There is no 30 day extension for a non immigrant visa entry (other than perhaps for medical reasons). Only tourist visa and visa exempt entries qualify for a 30 day extension.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day extension for a non immigrant visa entry (other than perhaps for medical reasons). Only tourist visa and visa exempt entries qualify for a 30 day extension.

how about a 60 day extension?

18 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

I m not married and soon I will be 50.
what I want is to get a visa to stay 1 year minimum in Thailand and I want to do the paper work at the Thai embassy in Lao and stop with tourist visas.
money I have. 800k no problem.

possible?

• As long as you're 50 or over, and can show 800K in the bank, you can easily get a Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa from the Embassy in Vientaine. 
  • You'll be granted permission to stay for 90 days on entry to Thailand, and you can apply to extend for 1 year, within the last 30 (maybe 45) days, at your local immigration office.
Edited by elviajero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would appreciate some clarification,

I am now over 50 years of age, Australian passport.

I am current on a METV which expires soon on 23 Nov. I want to get a long term NoN-O or NoN-OA  visa to stay long term for retirement purposes. From reading this forum I understand the following options:

1.       Convert (change status) of current METV to NON-O visa. It takes 15 days in BKK with two visits.

- Now I don’t have time to do this before my visa expires, but if I left and re-entered before expiry I would get 60 days, and during this time I could convert the visa. Correct?

-          Is there a link to information and requirements (documents, medical, financial?) to change visa status and what are the costs.

-          Is this a multi-entry visa or single entry

2.       Travel to neighbouring country (Penang or Vientiane seem common) to get a NoN-O visa, 90 day single entry based on retirement purposes. After about 60 days, apply for 1 year extension based on retirement

-          What are the requirements for NON-O visa, e.g. Financial requirements, medical certificate?

-          I understand to extend for 1 year that only financial statement is required (800k THB for 3 months)

-          The visa is single entry, but is this 1 yr extension a multi-entry. If it stays at single entry can it be changed to mult-entry?

-          Is there a link for requirements, What documents are required. Only passport, photo?

3.       Go back to citizenship country and get NON-OA visa. Lots of documents and costs, travel involved.

My preference would be either 1 or 2 above, but I think option 2 would be most reasonable since I need anyway to leave (and re-enter) Thailand before my Visa expires.

Have I understood the above options correctly, have I missed anything important? I don’t want to leave Thailand and find out I forget some document or something and have to go back to Australia to get it or whatever.

Would appreciate any bodies recommendation what is the least risk of having any hassles.

Thanks

1. You could apply for a 30 day extension of your current 60 day entry to meet the minimum 15 days remaining requirement to do a change of visa status application. You could do both applications on the same day

Where are you located? There are other offices that can accept the application for the change.

2. Vientiane wants proof of 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply. Show your bank book a letter in the bank. Or you can use a income  letter from your embassy to prove 65k income or a combination in the bank and income totaling 800k Baht.

Penang will do them as well but there but there have reports that they want both money in the bank and a income letter or some proof a person is retired.

A medical certificate is only needed to apply for OA visa in your home country.

3. Not needed

Thanks ubonjoe,

1. I am located in BKK. I am already on an 30 day extension which finishes on 30.11. Visa finishes 23.11. I could just leave next week and reneter to get another 60 days which would give me plenty of time to change status.

2. I don't qualify yet for any income statement so only Bank Book.

It seems like Option 1 would be less hassle. 60 days to change status should be plenty of time. For both 1 or 2, I need to leave the country, For Laos I need a visa, hotel costs etc.

For change of status what documents are required. Only Bank Book and letter from the bank with 800k baht? Application is made at BKK Immigration Chaengwattana. Is there any risk to this that an application would be rejected?

Thanks

13 hours ago, maccra said:

Thanks ubonjoe,

1. I am located in BKK. I am already on an 30 day extension which finishes on 30.11. Visa finishes 23.11. I could just leave next week and reneter to get another 60 days which would give me plenty of time to change status.

2. I don't qualify yet for any income statement so only Bank Book.

It seems like Option 1 would be less hassle. 60 days to change status should be plenty of time. For both 1 or 2, I need to leave the country, For Laos I need a visa, hotel costs etc.

For change of status what documents are required. Only Bank Book and letter from the bank with 800k baht? Application is made at BKK Immigration Chaengwattana. Is there any risk to this that an application would be rejected?

Thanks

List of requirements from Bangkok immigration website.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.
  1. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
  2. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  3. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  4. Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  5. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  6. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
    5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
    5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
    *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or
  7. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or
  8. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000