Monk arrested as six year old boy murdered and sodomized in Khon Kaen

webfact

30 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Unfortunately there always appears a statement from someone that completely puts a different light on the subject and the culprit gets a slap on the wrist and a promise he won;t do it again-----just wait and see

Your actually highlighting one of the most damaging things of any society - 'lack of enforcement' for crimes and especially crimes against children, domestic abuse, and lots more.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RareDingo said:

There can  be no denial with DNA these days.... good luck with that one, may that little boy rest in peace.  Why is it that some of the worst crimes are committed by those from religious organisations??

Because religion has caused more problems throughout history than almost anything.....

My god is better than your god!:smile:

If they would perform thorough back ground checks, drug test and checking the mental state on the guys who join the club, there wouldn't be too many claiming reserved seats in public transport. In my humble opinion there are way too many weirdos in robes who should have a responsibility towards society. However, here it seems common practice to send every useless male family member to become a monk just to get rid of the burden and problems they cause. What would Buddha have thought if a temple becomes a human dump yard?

Edited by Lupatria

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

The unhealthy mix of sex starved men and small boys makes me shudder at the best of times.

I can't imagine what this poor boy must have felt being horrendously treated by someone that he has been brainwashed by his parents and society into trusting. 

How many times must you get bitten before you begin mistrusting dogs? It's time monks, along with all religious freaks, were awarded "leper status" and cast out from society. 

Amen!........I can't see how the world would be a worse place if religion didn't exist........In many ways it breeds self righteousness

I came here almost 7 years ago a younger more naive man, Buddhist in mental disposition and eager to further that learning / path here. Now 7 years later I have found very few actual monks who understand the Buddha Dharma and furthermore who practice it. It is not a faith as such as there is no God in Buddhism, it's more a philosophy on leading your life, a way to strengthen wisdom, compassion and insight into the true nature of suffering and life. 

Anyway it has been hard for me to see the true nature of most of these 'monks' and I wonder what will happen to Buddhism with such leaders as these. I recently went back to Vientiane in Laos, and was walking through a temple there to get back to my hotel and saw an old monk sitting by himself drinking a glass of beer in the courtyard! So it is not just in Thailand I am sure. 

RIP little guy, such a sad and tragic way to go and hoe you suffered the least amount possible

Edited by JustNo

i am in esan for 6 months and the next door neighbor used to be the top guy of a Buddhist temple. he made millions of baht in donations then built a large house which his sister swindled off him. i guess he did not want to be seem with a lot of assets in his name. think thais would be getting upset by all these crooked monks but it seems like they dont really care. ironically he now that he is no longer a monk he lives in a shack with few possessions in a more monk like fashion.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

RIP the poor little soul.

I keep trying to point out to my wife's family that Monks are just men wearing yellow robes and you can't change a mans mentality, character or temperament just by changing his clothes.   However; they are brainwashed into thinking these people are some kind of Saints !

My brother in law, a first grade alcoholic and dumb <deleted> by all means, useless as a broken toaster and intelligent like bag of rice, once went to the local temple to become a monk ( family gave him choice temple or mental hospital ).

Once in the complete village respected the <deleted> and praid with him.

Thats when I decided to skip all visits.

Last thing i heard ( confirmed my best guess ) , he quit monkhood after 3 month. Back home drinking.

20 minutes ago, JustNo said:

I came here almost 7 years ago a younger more naive man, Buddhist in mental disposition and eager to further that learning / path here. Now 7 years later I have found very few actual monks who understand the Buddha Dharma and furthermore who practice it. It is not a faith as such as there is no God in Buddhism, it's more a philosophy on leading your life, a way to strengthen wisdom, compassion and insight into the true nature of suffering and life. 

Anyway it has been hard for me to see the true nature of most of these 'monks' and I wonder what will happen to Buddhism with such leaders as these. I recently went back to Vientiane in Laos, and was walking through a temple there to get back to my hotel and saw an old monk sitting by himself drinking a glass of beer in the courtyard! So it is not just in Thailand I am sure. 

RIP little guy, such a sad and tragic way to go and hoe you suffered the least amount possible

You seem to have missed the basic tenet of Buddhism is that we are all human and all prone to do non-Buddha like things at times. There's nothing in Buddhism which says monks are somehow super-human and able to avoid the temptation of a cold beer on a summer's day. 

Conflating these tiny observations to all "Buddhists in Thailand fail" is a somewhat huge leap.

If this monk is guilty of what he has been accused of; I hope they throw away the key. 

But I'm tired of this endless "trial by ThaiVisa" where a bunch of ill-educated foreigners make judgements based on a newspaper report which contains not a single shred of evidence for someone's guilt or innocence. This is then always followed by racist condemnation of Thais and/or Buddhists. 

There are sick, sick people in all countries and all walks of life. This isn't unique to Thailand or Buddhism. 

I hope the poor little lad is reborn to something rather more pleasant next time around and that he rests in peace until that happens. 

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Know of father who had choice of prison or monkhood for getting daughter pregnant.

That said, we can't say he did this horrible crime because he was a monk (at least I hope not)

Part of Buddhism includes view that we all have Buddha nature within us, and optimistically take in everyone to be monks. This guy has really hidden his Buddha nature deep.

probably because there is  no "Buddha  Nature"

There have been too many crimes and other misbehaviors committed by monks in recent years that it's become clear that the government needs to step in an initiate wide-ranging reforms. Ironically, this is something that may be better done by the current government that by a party that has to worry about public opinion. But something needs to be done, starting with making clear distinctions between 'short-term' and life-long monks, doing background screening on 'applicants', having a process whereby monks can report the questionable behaviour of others, having a formal investigation process (perhaps including external oversight), etc. etc. If these steps aren't taken, the sangha risks losing the respect and trust of the people....

12 minutes ago, TheSiemReaper said:

You seem to have missed the basic tenet of Buddhism is that we are all human and all prone to do non-Buddha like things at times. There's nothing in Buddhism which says monks are somehow super-human and able to avoid the temptation of a cold beer on a summer's day. 

Conflating these tiny observations to all "Buddhists in Thailand fail" is a somewhat huge leap.

If this monk is guilty of what he has been accused of; I hope they throw away the key. 

But I'm tired of this endless "trial by ThaiVisa" where a bunch of ill-educated foreigners make judgements based on a newspaper report which contains not a single shred of evidence for someone's guilt or innocence. This is then always followed by racist condemnation of Thais and/or Buddhists. 

There are sick, sick people in all countries and all walks of life. This isn't unique to Thailand or Buddhism. 

I hope the poor little lad is reborn to something rather more pleasant next time around and that he rests in peace until that happens. 

No of course, monks and nuns are human and humans are susceptible to ignorance and the 12 casual links, my point is that it seems the vast majority of monks I have encountered seem to be far off of the path. And the path might I add here in Thailand has been shrouded in mystic, luck and greed anyway for the most part. 

I am not some foreigner who makes judgment on newspaper posts, I have explored many temples and monasteries, and even have stayed at one for a number of days. It is not being racist to make an observation on how Buddhism is or isn't practiced here. It only makes sense to address this problem as the monkshood are who people look up to in the community, and furthermore pass on their knowledge and wisdom of the Buddha Dharma. 

Edited by JustNo

9 minutes ago, TheSiemReaper said:

Contrary to your view, the monks here seem to have earned the growing reputation they have received based on a pretty much un-ending stream of news reports of monks doing all variety of bad -- the case here, using drugs, prostitutes, amassing wealth, the Tiger Temple, the Klongchan Credit Union scandal, the jet-setting monk on the run from sex allegations, etc etc. It's a LONG list.

And it's not just newspaper reports, but rather, the Thai police and other government authorities arresting these guys and/or bringing charges against them. It may not be unique to Thailand, but it certainly seems to be becoming more of the rule here as opposed to the exception to the rule.

3 hours ago, RareDingo said:

There can  be no denial with DNA these days.... good luck with that one, may that little boy rest in peace.  Why is it that some of the worst crimes are committed by those from religious organisations??

Forget religion,it is all a con to extract money.Where ever you find young boys and girls you will find pedos.

I asked the girlfriend why men who are supposed to be role models for the society are often covered with tattoos? She said some of them are fake or maybe people who are in the monkhood for just a short time for a reason and will leave soon. This is interesting.

There are more than 200,000 monks in Thailand compared to fewer than 20,000 priests in the United Kingdom. 95% of the country is Buddhist and nearly every young man spends at least a little bit of his time as a monk.

The reason you hear more about monks doing wrong here is twofold: first, you're here - cases like this one don't make international news so when a priest in your country is arrested; you don't hear about it very often. Second, Buddhism is simply far more pervasive in Thai society than religion is in most Western countries. Thus claims that all Thai Buddhists are bad (or even a majority) bear no scrutiny whatsoever. It's more of the small-minded mindset of foreigners who couldn't wait to abandon their own countries in order to spend their lives criticising the country that they abandoned home for. 

Unless you have clear evidence that a monk or a Buddhist is more likely to commit crime than the background population - making accusations is simply a racist slur. No surprises there; I look forward to more sophistry to justify this prejudice and anti-intellectualism. 

15 minutes ago, TheSiemReaper said:

Unless you have clear evidence that a monk or a Buddhist is more likely to commit crime than the background population - making accusations is simply a racist slur. No surprises there; I look forward to more sophistry to justify this prejudice and anti-intellectualism. 

Racist slur?  In a thread about a Thai monk who allegedly sodomized and murdered a young boy??? Really...

The difference here is monks (at least the full-fledged ones) are reputed to be better than the average Thai population. And unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly clear that a goodly proportion of them (not all, and no one is saying all) simply are not.

Also, the ones typically making scandal headlines on a regular basis aren't the young men doing their couple months stretch of ritual monkhook, but rather, those who have been monks for long period of time. That's a pretty clear sign that the hierarchy involved isn't doing a very good job of maintaining order and piety in their ranks.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I always thought monks were supposed to live a life of meager means.  Then I came to Thailand and saw that they buy iphones macbooks and some of them only do it for short time to look good or serve some personal story.

I think that is the biggest difference between monks and priests.  In order to be a priest you have to get ordained and it is not a well I think this week i will be a priest.

I personally think that they should look at establishing a sect or under order where people that are only short timers trying to dodge the military or jail can be let into the temple but do not wear the robes or get the same treatment as a monk.

As to this poor young boy I think that he should get a free trip to the Bangkok Hilton and put in with the other people that are there for serious non child related crimes.  When the guards are not looking they can introduce him to coke bottles

I"m not sure that they have a body overseeing them, don"t care really, I saw a local villain appear

as a Monk, could not believe it, redemption for his last crime I suppose, One yr later back on the

streets.they all do it, politIcians ,Stars , even the BIB,    

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Grotesque and tragic. This lot are joining the Catholics in sordid and disgraceful behaviour.

It is high time to review the forced celibacy on religious leaders and pretending that they are above ordinary human being - any religion for that matter. Sex crimes are common to all religions though they try to cover-up in most cases.

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Grotesque and tragic. This lot are joining the Catholics in sordid and disgraceful behaviour.

It would be interesting to compare the percentage of those ordained who stray, Monks compared to Preist !

Neither group should perform these acts!!

2 hours ago, TheSiemReaper said:

There are more than 200,000 monks in Thailand compared to fewer than 20,000 priests in the United Kingdom. 95% of the country is Buddhist and nearly every young man spends at least a little bit of his time as a monk.

The reason you hear more about monks doing wrong here is twofold: first, you're here - cases like this one don't make international news so when a priest in your country is arrested; you don't hear about it very often. Second, Buddhism is simply far more pervasive in Thai society than religion is in most Western countries. Thus claims that all Thai Buddhists are bad (or even a majority) bear no scrutiny whatsoever. It's more of the small-minded mindset of foreigners who couldn't wait to abandon their own countries in order to spend their lives criticising the country that they abandoned home for. 

Wouldn't it be a nice world if all people could be as intellectual as you are and in consequence share your opinion?

Edited by Lupatria