Bangkok ponzi scheme nets many more Facebook victims

webfact

Bangkok ponzi scheme nets many more Facebook victims

a5.jpg

Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Ten people went to Bangkok police yesterday to say they had been conned out of money in a Ponzi scheme on Facebook.

They believed the scheme was legitimate because it was based in Khon Kaen but when dividends were not forthcoming and things started to go quiet they got suspicious, reports tnamcot.

Checks on others who had invested revealed everyone was in the same boat and part of the scheme that was made to look like a genuine customer was really integral in the con.

The ten claimants who reported to Pahonyothin police yesterday are expected to be the tip of the iceberg - the con could have netted thieves 80 million from 300 investors.

Source: tnamcot

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-11

Why go to the police?

Please mister policeman you got to help me, i have been a stupid greedy idiot.

I believed them when they told me i could get rich quickly.

1 born every minute.

Many times my wife has come home and told me about a person who has made BIG money, doing this/ doing that.

Most Thai people never think that if it sounds too good to be true, it is not true.

Greed, greed, greed.

Lack of schooling, even one basic finance class that mentions what real world interest rates are.  That's just for starters.  Then add in the general schooling and cultural mindset of not questioning adults or seniors.  Then add in of course the greed factor.  Then unfortunately the need factor. 

No sympathy for these fools who think they will get rich quick. As I have told many potential scam victims " Nobody gives you money " 

They deserve to lose their money but incredibly they actually went to the police to complain and show how stupid they were.

There have been many well publiced cases similar to this But greedy people never learn

Edited by johncat1

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Lack of schooling, even one basic finance class that mentions what real world interest rates are.  That's just for starters.  Then add in the general schooling and cultural mindset of not questioning adults or seniors.  Then add in of course the greed factor.  Then unfortunately the need factor. 

Must I attach all the articles about westerners caught in similar schemes in farang land ? This problem is not limited to Thailand and the local scammers learned from the best to do it - US, UK and EU.

people will convince themselves and justify and rationalize almost anything if they want to it to be true.

this is more about hope and not intelligence.

they gambled hoping it was true even though their logic was probably screaming at them not to do it.

lets say... 

your brother is a drug addict... he wants money to get a fresh start.... you know he is more than likely going to use the money to buy drugs...  but you give him the money anyway.... did you give him the money because you are an idiot? or did you give him the money hoping he actually might be able to turn his life around with your help?

case in point anyone who believes in god.  (all types of horrible shit happening and everyday people still believe their is a god)

(tornado kills hundreds of people 1 survivor ohh god is great and wonderful for saving the one person... So the hundreds of people who died weren't worthy of being saved???)

1 minute ago, speckio said:

people will convince themselves and justify and rationalize almost anything if they want to it to be true.

this is more about hope and not intelligence.

they gambled hoping it was true even though their logic was probably screaming at them not to do it.

lets say... 

your brother is a drug addict... he wants money to get a fresh start.... you know he is more than likely going to use the money to buy drugs...  but you give him the money anyway.... did you give him the money because you are an idiot? or did you give him the money hoping he actually might be able to turn his life around with your help?

case in point anyone who believes in god.  (all types of horrible shit happening and everyday people still believe their is a god)

(tornado kills hundreds of people 1 survivor ohh god is great and wonderful for saving the one person... So the hundreds of people who died weren't worthy of being saved???)

hope has a tendency to over ride logic....  If you ever bought a lottery ticket you can theoretically say you are just naive and stupid as everyone else who fell for this scam!

1 minute ago, speckio said:

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Must I attach all the articles about westerners caught in similar schemes in farang land ? This problem is not limited to Thailand and the local scammers learned from the best to do it - US, UK and EU.

A good example is the US stock markets being driven to the moon on nothing but plain and simple greed. Not fueled by facts growth or prosperity only greed. The greatest ponzi scheme on earth.

Took a girl out a couple months ago for dinner. Within 30 mins she tried to get me to invest 100,000 baht with her friend that would take peoples money and miraculously you would get like 30,000 baht back per week forever. She said, Oh, my friend is rich, she has a Mercedes. You should invest, I paid the bill and left her there.

56 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

A good example is the US stock markets being driven to the moon on nothing but plain and simple greed. Not fueled by facts growth or prosperity only greed. The greatest ponzi scheme on earth.

And protected and bailed out by democratically elected politicians...

Why go to the police?
1 born every minute.
Many times my wife has come home and told me about a person who has made BIG money, doing this/ doing that.
Most Thai people never think that if it sounds too good to be true, it is not true.
Greed, greed, greed.

Good point
I've never understood why Thai people report some monetary petty divisional cases to police it seems ludicrous. I've taken onboard this is a pure scam but still relative to a certain degree about what I'm rabbiitting on about ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why go to the police?

1 born every minute.

Greed, greed, greed.

The Old Pyramid Scheme , Max     :shock1:

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Took a girl out a couple months ago for dinner. Within 30 mins she tried to get me to invest 100,000 baht with her friend that would take peoples money and miraculously you would get like 30,000 baht back per week forever. She said, Oh, my friend is rich, she has a Mercedes. You should invest, I paid the bill and left her there.

You missed a trick...why not pretend to go to the loo and never come back?

10 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Absolutely correct.

If you want to learn about scams ranging from A to Z and perpetrated upon the supposedly educated and savvy citizens at large then USA has the biggest and the best scams ever and in abundance and never ending.

Scams pulled on the unsuspecting public in Thailand are considered rank armature as compared to what has occurred in the USA and for the record.

Bernie Madoff ring a bell

https://www.usa.gov/common-scams-frauds

https://www.fraudswatch.com/scams-list-on-internet/

8 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Good point
I've never understood why Thai people report some monetary petty divisional cases to police it seems ludicrous. I've taken onboard this is a pure scam but still relative to a certain degree about what I'm rabbiitting on about ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.....they may look like fools admitting that they were easily duped while reporting their foolishness could possible result in the perpetrators being caught and jailed ( maaaaaaybe ) while the police would gladly chase this case with enthusiasm in anticipation of getting their hands on some of that money to be recovered...lol

Cheers