Pattaya traffic turns into chaos after heavy downpour flooded roads

webfact

Pattaya traffic turns into chaos after heavy downpour flooded roads

efa27a853c101e9558052736c4363ba8-wpcf_72

PATTAYA: -- Predawn thunderstorm today dumped heavy rains on Pattaya for two hours, submerging several roads and paralyzing traffic on adjacent areas including the Sukhumvit highway from South Pattaya to Pattaya Sai 3.

The heavy downpour started at 4.00 am today and stopped two hours later.

Several roads in Pattaya were submerged, causing morning traffic to almost a standstill and piled up several kilometres long as in some section of the road, particularly the Soi Khao Talo, it was under 30 centimetres of water, impassable for small vehicles.

Pedestrians and office employees were also reported to walk difficultly as the water was too deep to wade through to work without getting wet.

In addition, draining of water out of the flooded roads and sidewalks were slow, thus worseing traffic in this world’s famous seaside resort.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-traffic-turns-chaos-heavy-downpour-flooded-roads/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-12

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pedestrians and office employees were also reported to walk difficultly as the water was too deep to wade through to work without getting wet.

A literary masterpiece....and a news scoop in one.....couldn't wade through water without getting wet!

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

my new condo in jomtien has underground parking. am now wondering if i should use it or not during the rainy season.

If you car is  1/ Amphibious   2/ Waterproof   3/ Watertight  .... No Ploplem.

45 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

my new condo in jomtien has underground parking. am now wondering if i should use it or not during the rainy season.

There is fairly new condo on Soi 7 that flooded a few years back, saw with my own eyes. Why tempt fate?

Picture is just 200m or so from the new tunnel they are building further up the Sukhumvit Road. But don't worry the authorities 100% guarantee no flooding problems with the new tunnel as they have created adequate drainage.

12 minutes ago, johng said:

@mikebell   latest report I read said it was 70% done

"Will not flood for sure"

800 million +  Baht     started on 15 November 2014   scheduled to finish  1st February 2017

http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9590000099835

I think it will struggle to cope with the water volume

under very heavy rain conditions.

I think you will see a retro fit for this,   every other year.

The gravy train is a coming.

Anyone know what the correct toll charge will be in the end ?

When is this new underpass drain scheduled to open?  After seemingly years of traffic chaos; ruined livelihoods; closed businesses; is there an end in sight?

I'm not an expert on Pattaya.

Are we talking about the underpass Sukhumvit / Central Rd.?

I never noticed any buildings resp. businesses between the lanes before the digging started. Nothing to ruin then ...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, khunpin said:

Are we talking about the underpath Sukhumvit / Central Rd.?

Yes    Its caused massive  disruption for years,  lots of business have been effected  some like Index and Namchai have  moved to new locations

some of the smaller shops with no customers for 2 years ( because no where to park )  have gone completely.

21 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

The underpass being dug on Sukhumvit will solve this in a year or two. Hope they got some pumps going in there.

The biggest problem with pumps?  You need someplace to put the water.  Where it's not going to just flow back on you or on some other poor schleppe.

They did install some rather large ( about 2 meter diameter ) drainage pipes on the seaside of the road in the early stages of construction

how they are going to keep all the rubbish,  sand and silt from clogging the pipes is anyone's guess.

44 minutes ago, johng said:

There was also talk of  doing underpasses at  the North and South junctions  !!!   so chaos for 10 more years  :w00t:

I believe that the underpasses are due to be constructed at the Thepprasit and South Pattaya junctions.

At a guess I would have said that an overpass along the railway route combined with an upgrade to the railway track (due to happen at some point in the future anyway) would have been far cheaper, taken less time and caused much less disruption. But, then again, less money just means smaller brown envelopes.......  

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, jvs said:

Pattaya is a sea level,during high tide with lots of rain the water has nowhere to go.

It has been a problem and it always will be.

Doesn't that apply to every costal town worldwide ? Do they all flood ?