building a budget home in pakaat,buengkan

paul32compu16

You are aware budget homes would be built by local workers/family type groups (often when not employed elsewhere) so probably best to ask around.  You will find some information in the DIY section regarding costs people have paid but that can vary greatly so probably best to set a max price for yourself (knowing you will exceed it) and use that as talking point start.  Hopefully others can chime in on recent experience and costs.

After 3 years of making some very bad decisions building our home, i can offer some advice.

Sounds easy i know, but take your time, if you have moved to a new area, and eventually you will find some good builders. Check their work out yourself and don't believe anyone.

If you ask people 'can you do this job' they want to make you happy, and they will say yes. Don't believe them. Check.

Stay on the job. Don't leave. Watch the job, and don't be the gofa always running around getting things.

Have a contract (that you can read ), and spread out the progress payments into realistic amounts for work done.

Don't do what I did and agree on a price of B 2000000, but pay money when the builder wanted it.

Try not to use the family.

This is just my experience, many will disagree.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Finally found Bueng Kan on the map. Can't help you up there.

The best advice I can give is to find a person that actually has a business building houses, not just some rice farmer that says he can. If the guy can't show you 10 houses he has built, run away...far & fast. Go to at least 3 houses, or more, that he has built & inspect the quality of the work. That's what I did before I decided on him as the builder for my house. I did my due diligence and I'm 98% happy with the finished product. Also, the builder learned many things from me and has shown my house to 5 prospective customers so far, with a fellow from Denmark scheduled to come in late October. He did a good job I am am more than happy to help him get more work. 

Another thing that I suggested, and that he was happy to do, is that we held back 50,000 Bt after the house was completed. I had one or two relatively minor problems and he had his foreman come out to address them. After the one year guaranty was up, he came by & I paid him the 50,000. Everyone was happy. By the way, he has a foreman because he has between 3 & 5 buildings in progress at all times. He has crews that do one part of the job & then they move to the next one. The crew that did the roof actually knows how to weld steel, not just tack it together. One crew does not build the entire house. His crews do a good job, so he is in demand.

You also need to be on site EVERY DAY, all day long, or you will end up with something that you will hate every time you look at it. Even with a good builder, you need to be on site to answer questions, provide specific dimensions and just let them know that you are involved. For example, in the bedroom, I have a long, narrow window 1.5 M high & centered over the bed. When the guys building the exterior wall started to frame out the window, they centered it between 2 columns. They did not center it from where the interior wall was going to be. Since I was there, with plans in hand, I was able to point out the errorand correct it before it became an issue. If I had not been there, the window would start at the wall & extend to about the middle of the bed.

In short, find a builder, not a rice farmer that knows how to mix concrete & lay brick.

Edited by Tagaa

OP specifically asked about a budget house (not saying if even for him) so took that to mean basic cement block local built home that most Thai might have rather than the homes foreigners often build.  Do not believe there is much financial room for making demands for such build - but agree having someone onsite to oversee construction (hopefully someone who has seen a house or two built) would be a good investment even if have to pay extra for them.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

OP specifically asked about a budget house

It's always nice to hear from the post police.

Let's see...joined TV on Feb 11, 2003...that's 4995 days ago, and you have 55,978 posts for an average of 11.2 posts EVERY day since. I'm sure they are all as high quality and informative as the last one.

Let's see...joined TV on Feb 11, 2003...that's 4995 days ago, and you have 55,978 posts for an average of 11.2 posts EVERY day since. I'm sure they are all as high quality and informative as the last one.

Hi Tagga.

You are spot on with your comments about getting a good builder etc. wish I had initially done the same.

But I would have a look at some of Lop's posts before you critasize him.
Over time I have found his input helpful, and to my mind Lop was not policing but saying the OP wanted something cheaper.

Having, over time, come to an understanding with a couple of farmers across the road who help me with building, I am now happy with their work, but it will never be as good as a building mob you hired.

My Thai wife hates them, and is just having extensions (must always have extensions ) done with a professional company who is doing a great job, but more expensive.

I'm only having an educated guesstamate, but maybe you pay an extra B300000 for a professional mob on a B 2000000 house build, but it is probably worth it.

SCG building mob seemed to have a good reputation and good builds.

I hired from SCG their area building mob. Waited for a few months as they were busy. It was expensive.
They finally showed up and got stuck into the LaoKaw and all drunk. Not too impressive on the first day.

A quarter way into the build I got rid of them. Drove to 100 odd km to SCG to complain, and they said they don't use that building mob anymore and no guarantee. But, but, ...I hired them from your SRC office etc.

Anyway, raving on, if the OP does go more expensive, do as Tagga suggests and inspect first.[emoji1]

I made no comments regarding price. I simply gave advice based on my experience of building 2 houses here in Issan. The OP requested advice in the second line of his post.

Mr Lopburi3's post added absolutely nothing constructive to this thread other than to parrot my comment of the necessity to be on site. Actually, he didn't even parrot my recommendation. He said it would be useful to have someone on site that has seen a few houses being built. One would take that to mean any Thai that has watched a house or 2 being built.

My recommendation is that it is folly to be absent during the building process for even a day or two. It is equally as much folly to entrust your project to a Thai person, male or female, as they have absolutely no idea what techniques are acceptable & which are not. Thai's are naturally non-confrontational & even if they see a problem, they are not likely to tell the professional that they are doing it wrong or in a substandard fashion. You must be on site every day, regardless of the amount of money you will spend.

One of these days I'll learn to keep the things I have learned in my 9 years experience of living here to myself & leave the expert advice to the folks that spend their days sitting in front of their PC  reading & posting on TV.

Just to be clear I had more than 30 years experience in Thailand before I even started posting here - and my posting has always been aimed at helping rather than flaming.  I was not making a reply to your post (which is why it was not quoted) but to several posts in thread that appeared to indicate some were thinking a more expensive build.  That I indicated agreement that even for a low budget build it would be helpful to have oversight was not meant to be parrot and do not agree the it must be the owner - it needs to be someone with some knowledge of building and in most cases this will require a Thai as building is not done the same here as in most of our home countries.

I found out the hard way when building a house 'off-site' the difference between Thai logic & western logic....

'Good' to a Thai means cheap.
'Good' to others means better than adequate and fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Tagaa said:

yes that is right except that of them posts probably 55.thousand  + helped a member in one way or another , very well respected here. 

I made no comments regarding price. I simply gave advice based on my experience of building 2 houses here in Issan. The OP requested advice in the second line of his post.

Mr Lopburi3's post added absolutely nothing constructive to this thread other than to parrot my comment of the necessity to be on site. Actually, he didn't even parrot my recommendation. He said it would be useful to have someone on site that has seen a few houses being built. One would take that to mean any Thai that has watched a house or 2 being built.

My recommendation is that it is folly to be absent during the building process for even a day or two. It is equally as much folly to entrust your project to a Thai person, male or female, as they have absolutely no idea what techniques are acceptable & which are not. Thai's are naturally non-confrontational & even if they see a problem, they are not likely to tell the professional that they are doing it wrong or in a substandard fashion. You must be on site every day, regardless of the amount of money you will spend.

One of these days I'll learn to keep the things I have learned in my 9 years experience of living here to myself & leave the expert advice to the folks that spend their days sitting in front of their PC  reading & posting on TV.

Don't do that....sharing is caring. [emoji10][emoji10][emoji10][emoji372]

Research before posting. Lopburi3 is one of best visa advisors on the site hence the high post count. Had you taken the time to look you would have seen this. Just my two pence worth:)