my gf want me to buy her a house.

pattayalover

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

There are just too many horror stories like this and worse floating about that only a grade one dimwit would choose to ignore!

Indeed.Ignore at your peril.

There are 3 farang houses around here which are reverting back to a state of Isaan nature after their European designers lost their respective domestic wars with wives and families.

I fought a 3 month battle to prevent my front yard being converted into a chicken farm by my mother/brother and son-in-law.My wife stood to one side during this being completely incapable of opposing the family.

Fortunately I was assisted in my campaign by the Thai next door neighbour who keeps a very clean and tidy place and who hated the chickens as much as I did.I am realistic enough to realize that her opposition to Operation "Isaan Peasant" was the clincher

Edited by Odysseus123
punctuation

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money, my beautiful money ...

To me the only advantage of having a bit is to share with people we love and chose as companions.

And so to the OP you must not think too much if this (small) contribution does not put you in danger. Give with the smile of thanks for the nice time past and future.

However 400000 is an investment for a local mode life. If you have to stay there, rather considering a little bit more at the best price for a decent comfort. Baht as a minimum 6000 per square meter built.

Has anybody actually tried the "guarantee her loan" approach?

With the Thai justice system, I see no point in usufruct or whatever other legal construction - besides - who could live on "hostile land" after a divorce?

Guaranteeing the wife's bank loan, and paying it off over as many years as possible (20?), may be a solution?

A solution based on mutual trust and benefit?

9 minutes ago, happy Joe said:

My money, my beautiful money ...

To me the only advantage of having a bit is to share with people we love and chose as companions.

And so to the OP you must not think too much if this (small) contribution does not put you in danger. Give with the smile of thanks for the nice time past and future.

However 400000 is an investment for a local mode life. If you have to stay there, rather considering a little bit more at the best price for a decent comfort. Baht as a minimum 6000 per square meter built.

Good number. 6000pr square.Aircon and propper roof is all you need.Dont want any tin-roof

What you also do at the same time is to raise their face in the village.That is a free gift on top of the house.More then once our old grandfather have thanked us for what we or I have done to his name.Before they walked all over him as a poor farmer.But not anymore.That is nice words coming from someone that most of the time dont say much.But when he do say something,everyone is listening to the oldest man alive in the village.

TL;DR all answers. Girlfriends asking for houses is kind of a red flag -- remember: family is #1, you are way down the list, if you're on it. If you are like two peas in a pod and you're not worried if things go south and don't mind having extended family members constantly wondering around, dipping into your fridge etc , go ahead. But if you're worried about what happens with the house if the relationship goes south, I would not do it. So many stories on here with farangs trying to stay on in their house (which was built on family land) and having big problems. If you're not well off and have a niggling intuition, listen to it.

5555   of course she does!!!   doesn't every gf in the world want one?why would a thai be different?

word of advice, if u have been with her a few years, have a lasting relationship and are planing on marrying and or having kids  do it.

otherwise it is a total waste  of ur money ( unless u enjoy throwing money away)

I built a house for my daughter and myself and my wife  ( now ex) lived there for awhile till she left, Good thing the land was not in her name and the  house in mine!!

Edited by phuketrichard

On October 15, 2559 BE at 10:31 PM, pattayalover said:

first she is from South. not from Isaan
she has old parents and soon she will be alone with her sister after parents are dead. this is why she worries a lot.
where to go if she lose her job . both sister take care of parents. my gf send little money, her sister cook and have a little job.
it s not a lot of money and I have never gave her anything after soon 8 years.
I was thinking to make her sign an agreement and make it notarised that it s my money invested in a house.
I think I owe her something after all these years she took care of me.
I was thinking to buy a condo in Pattaya but they are too attached to go back where they are born.
the house can be built by her cousins who built house already. she has around 80 sqm very old woody house that must be demolished and build a new one. I was thinking of 2 bed room, one kitchen, small bathroom, and roof extended to keep bike away from sun & rain.
never been married, she want but I told her we are together already. I think it's better to keep things simple.

If you can afford to give it as a gift - then fine and there is nothing wrong with giving a gift to someone you care about... it is quite primal and typical for a lady to want a home in her village, my wife is the same as most Thai ladies... that is the dream and the security... if you can afford that and want her to have that, then fine... very nice. 

I also agree that 400,000 will not buy much... 

Boy this sounds familiar, I am 8 years with my GF. Same thing. Not a bar girl. Sweet gal really. But, after 9 years in Thailand. I am a little sick of it.  Personally if she was not there I would never go back to Thailand. 

Every time I come home for a few months my GF moves back to her village and after about a month I get bombarded with this same thing. I want a house. I need land so I can grow things. You never give me enough money to put in my checking account. 

I go back to Thailand she picks me up at the airport. In my truck... :) The money starts flowing, and she is away from the relatives.  Everything is roses again.. Next time I go back, rinse and repeat....  

Personally I put in my will to give her a few hundred thousand baht. If she is still around she is set. If not, who cares.... At least I am covered.

God Damn! I wish I was a pretty Thai girl and could just get my man to build me a house! [emoji23] I'm clearly doing it wrong! 

And you would still be doing it wrong. Most of these are not pretty, the really pretty ones get several condo's in Bangkok and would barely roll out of bed for 400k lol

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

This is the dream of lots of poor Thai girls Farang comes along buys house for them then she kicks them out

Be very careful my friend I have been here 15 years  I know

I do not doubt your words. Such things happen a lot.

Now tell us: in those 15 years in Thailand, have you also seen old beer bellies that use their house / wife as a home base for whoring around? Thus asking to be kicked out?

On 10/15/2016 at 5:58 PM, Mekong Thunder said:

"my gf want me to buy her a house."

When was the last time somebody bought you a house?

If you can find a new one for $11,000 in the US or UK, I will consider buying you one!!

Maybe you guys are looking at this the wrong way?? She has been with him for 7 years already, she is asking for a house for her family, not for HIM to live in ...that isn't buying HER a house ...and I would hardly term this "buying someone a house."

(Do you guys buy your girlfriends clothes, but only if you can wear them??)

Edited by amykat

Life in generel is dangerous and living a happy life requires taking chances and risks.

If the OP feels buying a house for him and his girlfriend is the right move, then why not? Personally, I would have no problem putting all my money into my wifes account. Why? She makes me happy every day and I know I can trust her 100%. (Reason why I married her)

53 minutes ago, amykat said:

If you can find a new one for $11,000 in the US or UK, I will consider buying you one!!

Maybe you guys are looking at this the wrong way?? She has been with him for 7 years already, she is asking for a house for her family, not for HIM to live in ...that isn't buying HER a house ...and I would hardly term this "buying someone a house."

(Do you guys buy your girlfriends clothes, but only if you can wear them??)

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Detroit-MI/pmf,pf_pt/88507046_zpid/17762_rid/0-11000_price/0-39_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.455887,-82.850991,42.249359,-83.346749_rect/10_zm/2_p/

det.jpg

You are giving her 400,000 b.. 12-13000 it's that simple. 

Do you want too? Up to you. 

Better option tell your misses to work and raise the 400,000b you will pay all her other expenses. 

7 minutes ago, wow64 said:

You are giving her 400,000 b.. 12-13000 it's that simple. 

Do you want too? Up to you. 

Better option tell your misses to work and raise the 400,000b you will pay all her other expenses. 

5555 work and save 400000bht ok let's say works for a company 9000pm so do the maths so about 3.6 years assuming she saves every penny. So do you honestly belive that paying for all her other expenses over 3.6 years is going to be less than 400000 bht????????

On 10/16/2016 at 1:49 AM, elliss said:

Tutt Tutt ,  what  a negative attitude .

Buy, and loose a  house or two ,  then you qualify , for  real  farang status , premier class.

Forget my home town even I can't really afford a house  in the US where I would possibly want one, unless I put a huge portion of my cash up as deposit, then do a 30 year loan.I want to be like a "Thai lady"  Please tell me where I can meet a woman who makes approximately 130 times my daily rate who will buy me a house in exchange for companionship and light housework. Silicon Valley Tech Exec, Big Pharma? Better make it one of those Bankers or Health Insurance CEO's.

Edited by Dipterocarp

6 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

5555 work and save 400000bht ok let's say works for a company 9000pm so do the maths so about 3.6 years assuming she saves every penny. So do you honestly belive that paying for all her other expenses over 3.6 years is going to be less than 400000 bht????????

Not many companies in Thailand are paying 9000b per month.. but lets say she is working for a company now that pays that.. Better she wait 3.6 years at least then she paid or this guy got out of paying. 

You never know what is in a woman's mind, but when a switch is pulled over, you can expect everything.

You can have a usefruct on the land and the house on YOUR name.

However when the time comes , the switch is pulled, you should not be surprised to lose all.

But it is the same in western country. Specially when there is already a child in mariage, you lose "your house".

Condo is always yours, but dont think she wants that. Maybe she thinks aswell of taking care of parents and sister.

So are they coming in aswell?

Letting her pay aswell might be a good idea as i see suggested in replies here. It could give her a total other idea.

It's easy for her to say "buy me a house". You are as at looks in a real relation, so both have responsibilities.

So tell her that.

Future is unknown, anything can happen. If you sit down and think about that, you will sit down for long time.

My view is this.....if a woman asks you to buy her a house, she is up to no good.  If that happened back home, what would you do?  OK, that's settled

If you must go ahead against the advice you will receive here, in addition to any safeguards, such as a lease, etc., take a mortgage over the land for much more than you're putting in, to allow for any increase in value, and not having to regularly rewrite the mortgage..  If there is reluctance to permit you to do that, you have the proof you're about to be dudded.