my gf want me to buy her a house.

pattayalover

If 400,000 baht is A LOT of money for you then don't do it. Try finding another girl as good as the one you have for that kind of money. The Thai government expects you to have 800,000 in the bank to live on yearly. My math says 400,000 is six months living for a farang, that is the amount she is asking for.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Why don't you see if you can rent a really good house in her village and see how that works out for a year.

Why not rent 2, in completely separate locations within the village, 1 for you and g/f, and 1 for the family.

I'm starting to think this is a slightly silly thread. The woman is his girlfriend, not his wife. Would any poster on here buy a western girlfriend a house wherever they come from?

If he feels committed enough to her to buy a house, then marry her. If it is built after marriage he is entitled to 50% of it if the marriage fails.

thaibeachlovers

Being entitled to 50% and actually getting it,are 2 very different things.As i said in my former post regarding this situation.In every village,there is a head man,whom with a little financial encouragement from the young lady,will make it perfectly clear to the ferang,that he would stay more healthy if he was to just leave.

What real chance do you think hes got of getting anything if its on her family's land.

LOL

Remember in college when you WANTED TO HELP THE POOR, THE HOMELESS, THE STARVING kids of the planet!!!  Well, NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!!!!  So help!!!!

My friend just got 10 million from inheritance and now tells people they are lazy for not working!!!  LOL.....life is simply funny....

20 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

There are many paying only 9000. So you rekons paying her bills over 3.6 years won't come to more than the origional 400000bht.

Well if she is working somewhere that is only paying 9000 he should help her get an education or a better job not look for the next farang to come along and buy her a house. 

If she currently is earning 9000 per month she eats a lot of mumma so if he buys 1 pack a day he will be out of pocket 9198 baht over the 3.6 years suggested. Big saving there.  

Just now, wow64 said:

Well if she is working somewhere that is only paying 9000 he should help her get an education or a better job not look for the next farang to come along and buy her a house. 

If she currently is earning 9000 per month she eats a lot of mumma so if he buys 1 pack a day he will be out of pocket 9198 baht over the 3.6 years suggested. Big saving there.  

Goodbye.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm starting to think this is a slightly silly thread. The woman is his girlfriend, not his wife. Would any poster on here buy a western girlfriend a house wherever they come from?

If he feels committed enough to her to buy a house, then marry her. If it is built after marriage he is entitled to 50% of it if the marriage fails.

It is incorrect that under Thai law all property purchased during a marriage is automatically split 50/50 upon divorce. See my posts 10 & 7 on below thread for explanation of how Thai marital property law addresses the division of debt and property acquired during marriage.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/756222-debt/

16 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It is incorrect that under Thai law all property purchased during a marriage is automatically split 50/50 upon divorce. See my posts 10 & 7 on below thread for explanation of how Thai marital property law addresses the division of debt and property acquired during marriage.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/756222-debt/

As others have said..you might get the ruling, but its another thing to force a sale and get half the money.

Theres a good reason these houses are always built on family land..

You mentioned that have long relation with girl friend and you forgot to tell if you are maried by law.

To get easy quick protection by the Thai Law is that if you married all during the period of marriage all things that are bought or come in belongs to you both. So when separate and the house is build after the marriage then she need to move out the house or pay you half.

Also be smart and demand the registration at the LAND office that you are entitled to use the land till you die.

The costs is about 100 THB if I recall it correct. Just to prevent the trick that the land is sold or given to other and you have to move out.

Go to a good lawyer and let them make the contract for the house and the land and do this BESIDE the registration of the right at the land office.

Also do keep in mind and do not forget you use her land to live on so (half) the house in return is not a bad deal. Take the following in consideration, after all it is a fact that you life with her and she with you, so see it as the rent you paid and the longer you stay the less rent you have paid.

Half the people mugging you off on this post are probably paying 15k a month plus bills to live in a box 20 floors up to which they will never see again lol

Some of you lot seriously do think every relationship and every Thai lady is the same, it is somewhat funny to read sometimes...

55 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Good Luck.....You know the old saying," crazy can be medicated, ignorance

can be educated...there is just no cure for stupid" !!

Yes indeed. But why do i need luck?? 

I trust my instincts. So should the OP not withstanding your last post which as I said in the main is irrelevant. I would tell the op to do as He see's correct and not to be swayed by the I've been ripped of and followers brigade

1 hour ago, Strange said:

So if you build/buy a house here for, or in, the wife/gf name, your wife/gf is a hooker. 

Better watch that noise in public. Might be hazardous to your health. 

correct she is a hooker

nothing wrong with that.. lets just call a spade a spade. 

oh oh but this is thailand and it so different. 

Edited by wow64

Wow, a few female apologists here but mostly folks of good sense and some self respect.

Women who want houses go to work for them . . . .they are all strong and independent now, surely?

Bad move to buy a house in a place where you don't want to live.

Just tell her she'll get some insurance money when you die . . . .as long as it's natural causes . . .

The bank loan idea seems to be the better compromise. She can put her land and some savings as a collateral. You can help with the loan payment that will not be much more than your current rent. You don't take many risks and she will be happy with her own house.

Summary

Legalities - posters who say don't bother are correct, it is a gift, give, and be happy to give, this will provide more satisfaction as the house goes up for both you and the girlfriend - if you have to move on later you move on

Don't build Rent - posters are missing the point, not all about you and girlfriend about creating a decent family home

Why should you pay all - you are not, the family are giving the land free your part is to pay the build

Would you do this in your own country? Silly attempt at comparison - my friend just got engaged to a 50 year old and bought a ring that cost more than your house!! I personally don't see many Thai ladies demanding or showing off rings!!

Don't build near the family - It would appear there are those that have poor experience or knowledge of poor experiences that post on TV and I understand why this advice may be considered by some to be valid. Personally I have always found my Thai family reserved, not intrusive, and supportive. Although at first I was a little concerned due to reading TVisa :smile: 

Commitment- in my experience the amount of 'Face' gained by the family, and in the village, if local labour is used, provides a good base for a sound relationship and acceptance within the family - in short you have shown the 'commitment' highlighted in many posts on this thread, after all you have been sleeping with the daughter for 7 years!!

Cost - Hell for years I knocked around in Phuket burning 10,000k baht a day - I don't know how many of the posters on this thread are living that lifestyle or possibly they just wouldn't give it up. 400k baht for a modest family home - value for money

Risk - Absolutely - enjoy the ride it is fun

Best wishes from me whatever you decide

473geo - I don't want to get this thread off topic but I am intrigued what you spent 10k per day on in Phuket! If you ever have the time, that would be a post I'd love to read. The mind boggles. 
As for your summary, I'm sure everyone on here wishes the OP the best. It's great you've had a positive experience but there's nothing wrong with others sharing their negative experiences nor with the OP reading about them. He needs a balanced perspective. 
The only point I would question is "I personally don't see many Thai ladies demanding or showing off rings!!" - have you heard of Facebook and Instagram? If you replace 'rings' with 'gold' or 'sin sot', then that would be; Every. Thai. Woman. Ever. 

On 15/10/2016 at 8:50 AM, lopburi3 said:

After a 7 year relationship payback of 400k for her and her family might not be that great a personal loss even if worst came to past.  If she is only asking for that amount do not believe you are really being taken advantage of.  

Sorry I don't have time to read all the posts on your thread OP so please excuse me if someone already said this.

As Lopburi said, that is a very small price to give, 57K Bt / year.

I don't think that you should worry about getting a 30 year lease either.

If things go wrong and you break up, you probably wouldn't want to live there anyway.

Give the money graciously and watch how things improve between you.

You will be a good man for sure, if you are one now, you will be a better one...

Your generosity will be repaid many times over. Well this has been my experience anyway.

Asking for protection is almost like telling her that you do not trust her, and who knows, just that could start a problem for you.

A 7 year happy history is quite an achievement in this modern world!

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

On 10/18/2016 at 10:35 PM, elliss said:

ATM , lives  on  after life , 

if , you give your pin number ,  and  there  is no notifiifaction  of your  death .

cheaper than making a will and less complicted  .  i should know .555

I wear bullet proof  vest ,  24/ 7 ..

On ‎19‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 10:18 AM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

thaibeachlovers

Being entitled to 50% and actually getting it,are 2 very different things.As i said in my former post regarding this situation.In every village,there is a head man,whom with a little financial encouragement from the young lady,will make it perfectly clear to the ferang,that he would stay more healthy if he was to just leave.

What real chance do you think hes got of getting anything if its on her family's land.

Which is why I say "don't get married, don't buy the house unless the OP can afford to give the money away".

I am on record on TV many, many times saying never buy, rent. I was just thinking that if he wants to give someone that much money, he should be giving it to his wife, even though I have become anti marriage since my divorce.

On ‎19‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 8:08 PM, laislica said:

Sorry I don't have time to read all the posts on your thread OP so please excuse me if someone already said this.

If things go wrong and you break up, you probably wouldn't want to live there anyway.

You will be a good man for sure, if you are one now, you will be a better one...

Your generosity will be repaid many times over. Well this has been my experience anyway.

Asking for protection is almost like telling her that you do not trust her, and who knows, just that could start a problem for you.

We don't know what else he has already paid for, so it's a bit much writing off 400,000 as if it's small change. Perhaps he doesn't have enough to buy the house and still live on if he had to move out.

Some posters obviously have no idea what it's like not to be rich.

18 hours ago, elliss said:

ATM , lives  on  after life , 

if , you give your pin number ,  and  there  is no notifiifaction  of your  death .

cheaper than making a will and less complicted  .  i should know .555

I wear bullet proof  vest ,  24/ 7 ..

??????? How can there be no notification of death? You think she can just leave the body in a cupboard?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We don't know what else he has already paid for, so it's a bit much writing off 400,000 as if it's small change. Perhaps he doesn't have enough to buy the house and still live on if he had to move out.

No no no thaibeachlovers you have it wrong. Most posters are poor just want to come across as rich and money to burn.

Me poor working class in home country.

Content with enough to live on with house bought car bought a good sound buisness no debts and a hard working wife here in Thailand. 

Though for the day........

If your going to throw your money away renting then throw it at us.

Edited by Deepinthailand

May I throw in 2 ideas for your problem:

1. Make it a loan to her with a written (in Thai) contract over the THB 400,000.00 or whatever she needs and tell her that this is just a guarantee for you and you won't ask for payment of the loan as long as your relationship is fine and working.

2. Instead of building a house, try to find a condo, which can be owned by a foreigner. You can own it in your name or a joint ownership with her.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 19/10/2016 at 3:08 PM, laislica said:

You also posted:-

"Which is why I say "don't get married, don't buy the house unless the OP can afford to give the money away".

I am on record on TV many, many times saying never buy, rent. I was just thinking that if he wants to give someone that much money, he should be giving it to his wife, even though I have become anti marriage since my divorce."

Hmmmm, in your opinion then?

It takes two to tango, did you consider that you may also have been part of the problem that resulted in divorce?

There other posters who say that they know other chaps that just walked away from everything and were just happy to have their freedom.

IMHO, marriage is not something to just leap blindly into and once married, it takes time, patience and courage to find the necessary compromises to settle into a trusting and happy relationship.

IMO, Trust is earned and is not a right.

The OP has had 7 happy years together and must have the cash available cos he is asking how to protect the cash.

So I don't see this as a big deal.

I hope you get over your bitter thoughts soon and live a happy and fun filled life.

@Deepinthailand:

I too was a poor working class in my home country.

I worked hard and saved money to give me a better pension in my old age.

I walked away from a hell of a lot more that that after about 11 years with my toxic ex Brit g/f.

So no longer rich then LOL

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????? How can there be no notification of death? You think she can just leave the body in a cupboard?

Burn , aka bio degradable .

Life is cheap in  LOS  .  NO body ,, who care .555

Edited by elliss