my gf want me to buy her a house.

pattayalover

10 hours ago, Mekong Thunder said:

More like trying their hardest to detach you from your money?The whole thing stinks I honestly wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if I were you!

You sound like a bitter & twisted bloke. We've all been burnt in someway by a female. Get over it, move on. Not every Thai girl is a gold digger.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I anticipated someone weighing in with claims such as the above. Construction material costs are pretty standard around Thailand, and with plenty of trips down to the local construction supply center, I think I've got a got a pretty good handle on those costs. I don't live in Isaan, but I live in a very rural area in central Thailand. 

My neighbor, whose two sons contributed much of the labor, built a house very much in line with the construction I described in my post. I also know in detail what type of home my father-in-law was able to build for 200K, with his three sons contributing labor, absolutely nothing to do with a foreigner.

You can build a decent house in Thailand for 100K ($2,857/GBP 2,273)? The price of two Honda Wave motorbikes? LOL. Laughably preposterous. Believe that at your own risk. 

I've also made those many trips to the local supply house. Your skepticism is groundless and misdirected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

I've also made those many trips to the local supply house. Your skepticism is groundless and misdirected.

300 baht/day (per man) x 4 men x 120 days = 144,000 baht for labor alone. 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626464-average-cost-of-building/?page=1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748549-how-much-to-build-a-house/?page=1

http://retiringinthailand.net/house-build-thailand-2/thailand-house-prices/budget-cost-1/

I believe the above threads largely support the contention that 400,000 baht for a 80 sq/m house will probably only get you a basic "no frills" Thai style house.

Edited by Gecko123

Without going into breakdown cost yes 400000k is plenty to build a standard run of the mill thai style open plan house with a couple of toilets and outside kitchen. I have had this done for MIL single storey one large room one bedroom off room one inside toilet of room. Outside covered kitchen area with outside loo, washing and a drying area. All told with labour which was Mils son in laws 4 of us so no cost bar food.30 days from start to finish. Material cost for whole build 315670bht. So yes it can be done.

Western house 2 bed two bath kitchen front room. Car port and outside kitchen plus elec/water conection and two 3000ltr water butt's and pump. 649888bht with labour of 115000bht included.

I am in a 7 years relationship with a very nice and generous Thai lady. she is 10 years younger than me, she is little bit on the cheap side as she comes from a poor family. that's good, she always find good deal for me and offer me plenty of free clothes.

she is not a lady bar and has a job that pay not a lot.

she want me to build her a new house for maybe 400000 bahts. she has already the land and a very old house in wood. she has old parent and a sister that I met 3 times.

I told her that if I give her money for a house i want be able to live inside and not been kick out.

I want protect myself.

how can I proceed?

Hi mate, I found your question interesting as I did just that over a year ago and things turned out well  (see pics of the build as it was going, will take some of the complete.. its no mansion but its a nice little modern bunglow to western standards, dont quote me on the exact figure but I think it was around 400-500k in the end total) We did get a bit lucky as the wifes uncle is a builder/sparky plus we kept them happy with bottles of whisky/scran/cigs every now and again which is important, also once the build is complete try to take the builders out for a meal as thanks and keep them pally for any issues that need fixing up.

It is a 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 bathroom, small kitchen, small garden house we built on my wife's parents land (adjoined to her shop), we have lived in it a little over a year now and although village life does take some adjusting too its been great.

We did not go too cheap on the house and it is built to quite a nice standard albeit quite small and cosey, we have 2 air cons, spot lights on dimmer switches, 50mb broadband and what not, lighting is really important to me and I find Thais do not get the whole mood lighting, dimmed etc... in total it cost us around 400-500k, over time I have upgraded bits such as added another air con unit, sorted nicer garden furniture out, newer doors in the kithen and just generally done what we could... all in all it beats renting as just in the time we have lived here it`s saved so much.

In regards to your question specificly I cannot say living in a village is for all, but you have obviously been with your mrs far longer than I have and we have a kid already so for me was a no brainer as I saw it is an investment in my lads future should I ever die tomorow for example... plus it is close to his gran perants and I love them being able to see him grow up etc, and other family members near byso he gets to play out with family most days.

I have been to a few villages and mine in particular is really friendly and over time I have built up quite a good relationship with the locals and we have a good laugh, I can imagine if you did not have that relationship with the locals it could be difficult so make sure to be overly nice but dont get sucked into being a mug too.

Another thing is living with the mrs family took time to adjust, for example get used to family members just walking in for a chat etc, for me I have two big dogs so people generally dont like to just walk in but village life its pretty standard to just walk in someones house... fortunatly my dog Leo is quite a horny beast and would hump most who do enter his grounds.

All in all I would say if you see yourselfs being together for good and starting a family its a good investment but be careful of your builders (we opted to pay them when the job was complete 100%  as opposed to by day and my father in law took charge of them - pay by day then can become lazy and drag it out with no incentive to finish up) also be carefull of your budget as it can go way off.... you can skimp a bit on things like doors, windows and what not if you have the idea of upgrading as you go along... certinally is a nice feeling living rent free not having to give a landlord 10-15k a month which is just wasted money really, plus it also gives you somewhat a proud feeling knowing you have your own place for your family if s*** ever hits the fan you always have a roof, but reality is sure your mrs could throw you out but then again its the same with any women and any country plus, if you broke up you hardly wanna live with your ex anyway so I would not take too much notice of the ones who trash talk the Thai women too much as if I listened to some I probably wouldnt have a beutiful wife and son now heh, good luck mate and message me if you need any tips, cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

My 2 cents on the OP's situation is that he's done well to maintain a relationship for 7 years and not commit further. I'm impressed and envious at the same time, Germans probably have a word for that feeling. 
Maybe it's lasted that long precisely because things aren't too serious and haven't become too complicated. For as long as you rent over here, you maintain the upper hand.
My only insight is that if he does build it and thinks he wants to live there now, that won't be the case as soon as it's built - they'll be a lot of family visiting and it won't be the peaceful, relaxing place he probably imagines it will be. 
Once again, keeping a girlfriend for 7 years is impressive work.  

10 minutes ago, jadee said:

My 2 cents on the OP's situation is that he's done well to maintain a relationship for 7 years and not commit further. I'm impressed and envious at the same time, Germans probably have a word for that feeling. 
Maybe it's lasted that long precisely because things aren't too serious and haven't become too complicated. For as long as you rent over here, you maintain the upper hand.
My only insight is that if he does build it and thinks he wants to live there now, that won't be the case as soon as it's built - they'll be a lot of family visiting and it won't be the peaceful, relaxing place he probably imagines it will be. 

yes, very impressive. a guy refuses to commit to his girlfriends future security for seven years and she doesnt show him the door.  the idea that someone should have the "upper hand" in a long term relationship is  sad.

31 minutes ago, jadee said:

True in some ways, then again I think we all forget sometimes Thai females are the same as any other women, they all want commitment a bit tbh which is fair enough just in different ways. Some of the falang's are not saints lol, plus even in our home countries you have your annoying in-laws poking about... 7 years is fair play and your spot on with putting your foot down which is resoect from both.

You can do that in a village though just the same as a box condo... if I don't want ppl in my house when I am doing stuff I tell them straight. Depends on the build/space/furniture how nice you can do it... plus you seem to not see the financial savings of it in the long run, basically only paying bills forever especially if you get 50mb sorted etc. Rent was getting quite silly last I looked in Bangkok, cheers good luck to the op I say

Without going into breakdown cost yes 400000k is plenty to build a standard run of the mill thai style open plan house with a couple of toilets and outside kitchen. I have had this done for MIL single storey one large room one bedroom off room one inside toilet of room. Outside covered kitchen area with outside loo, washing and a drying area. All told with labour which was Mils son in laws 4 of us so no cost bar food.30 days from start to finish. Material cost for whole build 315670bht. So yes it can be done.

Western house 2 bed two bath kitchen front room. Car port and outside kitchen plus elec/water conection and two 3000ltr water butt's and pump. 649888bht with labour of 115000bht included.

I am no builder but you are getting ripped off mate, I bought my stuff from builders merchant stores in Isaan cash with the builders next to me telling me what they wanted and it was all done for a lot less than your quoting, quite small but good standard... maybe builders are working for less in NE, cheers

1 hour ago, ryanhull said:

I am no builder but you are getting ripped off mate, I bought my stuff from builders merchant stores in Isaan cash with the builders next to me telling me what they wanted and it was all done for a lot less than your quoting, quite small but good standard... maybe builders are working for less in NE, cheers

Not at all I sourced all material paid builders only labour.  The house western I quoted is of good size and quality. The Thai house is again a good sized house all materials sourced locally

1 hour ago, ryanhull said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Cinderblock or brick? Cinderblocks 7" or 3 ½"? Support post thickness? Support posts pre-fabricated, or poured in place? Is support post foundation a simple pre-fab footing or poured in place rebar reinforced foundation? Thickness of concrete flooring? Materials used for facia board, real wood or plastic prefab?  Roof eaves enclosed or open? Roof tiles concrete or ceramic?  Quality of floor tiles? Quality of plumbing, electrical fixtures? Quality of bathroom and kitchen fixtures? Electrical wiring exposed or hidden? Ceiling, or open up to the roof? These are the details which determine the construction quality and costs, and without knowing these details and many more, I don't know how you can say someone got ripped off on their home construction. 

Bro... it is their home turf and land,  you don't know the game.. you have an age difference,  ever think you might be considered the mobile ATM...

You have heard this before..  been together a while and she has no ring, you have not offered...What do you expect?

There are other way to take care of your expat needs.   Do you want to end up posting... I lost all my money to my Thai Girlfriend, whose relatives have kicked me out.. or better yet, read the nice stories the expats have written regarding this situation.

Above all bro.. take care of your own matters, do you really think, when the kee hits that fan, do you really think you are going to find any cooperation from the Thai side?

Do your best.

Edited by Rhys

3 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Bro... it is their home turf and land,  you don't know the game.. you have an age difference,  ever think you might be considered the mobile ATM...

You have heard this before..  been together a while and she has no ring, you have not offered...What do you expect?

There are other way to take care of your expat needs.   Do you want to end up posting... I lost all my money to my Thai Girlfriend, who relatives have kicked me out.. or better yet, read the nice stories the expats have written regarding this situation.

Above all bro.. take care of your own matters, do you really think, when the kee hits that fan you are going to find any cooperation from the Thai side?

Do your best.

Another "bro" user and a tv reader. Please when you read the horror stories on here let 99.99999999% flow straight through the rest take with a pinch of salt

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Another "bro" user and a tv reader. Please when you read the horror stories on here let 99.99999999% flow straight through the rest take with a pinch of salt

Point being... think...with the right head..

Cinderblock or brick? Cinderblocks 7" or 3 ½"? Support post thickness? Support posts pre-fabricated, or poured in place? Is support post foundation a simple pre-fab footing or poured in place rebar reinforced foundation? Thickness of concrete flooring? Materials used for facia board, real wood or plastic prefab?  Roof eaves enclosed or open? Roof tiles concrete or ceramic?  Quality of floor tiles? Quality of plumbing, electrical fixtures? Quality of bathroom and kitchen fixtures? Electrical wiring exposed or hidden? Ceiling, or open up to the roof? These are the details which determine the construction quality and costs, and without knowing these details and many more, I don't know how you can say someone got ripped off on their home construction.

Fair play I honestly could not answer all that, like I said I am no builder but I was lucky enough to choose most things like tiles and what not direct.

Your right maybe the build he is quoting on is superior to mine plus knowing a set of honest lads... but I found 400-500k enough for a small place maybe not amazing but ok to my knowledge, bigger than a condo at least! cheers

17 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Fair play I honestly could not answer all that, like I said I am no builder but I was lucky enough to choose most things like tiles and what not direct.

Your right maybe the build he is quoting on is superior to mine plus knowing a set of honest lads... but I found 400-500k enough for a small place maybe not amazing but ok to my knowledge, bigger than a condo at least! cheers

Wouldn't say superior because that's in the eye of the beholder maybe bigger. Hence costs. But back on track 400000 us plenty enough for a basic thai style house.

I follow this topic with interest.
Not because my girlfriend has asked me to buy her a house, but because we talked about building a new house. 
She lives now with her mother in a house made of wood and corrugated sheet. Naar Buriram.
The rain leaks through the roof. No bathroom, even no toilet.
Very sad.

She already bought a small piece of land (adjacent to her mothers house) and some concrete pillars and wood boards. They are 'sleeping now' (her words) near the old house, waiting to be used.
She told me that with 200.000 THB she could start building a new house (western style) with at least a toilet/bathroom.
Only very basic. I think only a roof and walls. Not more.
Then slowly, every time when there is some money again, she can make some improvements. 

She knows someone from the village who can build the house. (Same one who has built the house for her father.)

I am seriously thinking of giving her this money. (By the way, she did not ask me for it.)
It is sure a lot of money for me, but I am not broke when I give it away.
And more important, mother and daughter can have a decent life.
They are both good peaple, so far I know.

That is why I am following this topic.
Also because there are some answers regarding the prices of houses.

God Damn! I wish I was a pretty Thai girl and could just get my man to build me a house! :laugh: I'm clearly doing it wrong! 

I've heard this story thousands of times. I would like to think that the majority build the house, live in it with Thai gf/wife and live happily ever after... However I am sure that there are many who have been screwed over this way. 

Have your wits about you and be careful with your money. In other words, don't do it unless you're sure. If you were sure, you wouldn't be asking on a public forum. 

6 minutes ago, phuturatica said:

God Damn! I wish I was a pretty Thai girl and could just get my man to build me a house! :laugh: I'm clearly doing it wrong! 

I've heard this story thousands of times. I would like to think that the majority build the house, live in it with Thai gf/wife and live happily ever after... However I am sure that there are many who have been screwed over this way. 

Have your wits about you and be careful with your money. In other words, don't do it unless you're sure. If you were sure, you wouldn't be asking on a public forum. 

I agree to a point but I would say there is as much chance of getting ripped of by marrying in your home country exept in mine if you divorce if kids are involved you lose the lot warts and all. Which is a dam site more than 400000bht

Edited by Deepinthailand

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

I agree to a point but I would say there is as much chance of getting ripped of by marrying in your home country exept in mine if you divorce if kids are involved you lose the lot warts and all. 

To some degree you're right. I can only speak for the UK as that's my home country but we have a lot of legal stuff in place here to prevent you getting fully screwed over compared to Thailand. 

Also we have a culture here where we don't just expect the men to provide financially and give us everything we want. In fact I absolutely hate that and wouldn't like to be fully dependent on someone like that. I quite like the idea of being even and fair and also it gives me a sense of achievement knowing that I have worked hard for something.

26 minutes ago, phuturatica said:

To some degree you're right. I can only speak for the UK as that's my home country but we have a lot of legal stuff in place here to prevent you getting fully screwed over compared to Thailand. 

Also we have a culture here where we don't just expect the men to provide financially and give us everything we want. In fact I absolutely hate that and wouldn't like to be fully dependent on someone like that. I quite like the idea of being even and fair and also it gives me a sense of achievement knowing that I have worked hard for something.

I'm from UK what legal stuff on place if you divorce in UK with kids involved you can kiss the house goodbye as a man and expect to get 65%of your money taken each month. Been there seen it done it. I don't agree with your thoughts on the culture there at all. Here at least if you get divorced it's 50/50. I know getting it's another mater.

4 hours ago, BertBert said:

I follow this topic with interest.
Not because my girlfriend has asked me to buy her a house, but because we talked about building a new house. 
She lives now with her mother in a house made of wood and corrugated sheet. Naar Buriram.
The rain leaks through the roof. No bathroom, even no toilet.
Very sad.

She already bought a small piece of land (adjacent to her mothers house) and some concrete pillars and wood boards. They are 'sleeping now' (her words) near the old house, waiting to be used.
She told me that with 200.000 THB she could start building a new house (western style) with at least a toilet/bathroom.
Only very basic. I think only a roof and walls. Not more.
Then slowly, every time when there is some money again, she can make some improvements. 

She knows someone from the village who can build the house. (Same one who has built the house for her father.)

I am seriously thinking of giving her this money. (By the way, she did not ask me for it.)
It is sure a lot of money for me, but I am not broke when I give it away.
And more important, mother and daughter can have a decent life.
They are both good peaple, so far I know.

That is why I am following this topic.
Also because there are some answers regarding the prices of houses.

If you don't pay, maybe she will have to go and work back in the bar.

23 hours ago, elliss said:

Tutt Tutt ,  what  a negative attitude .

Buy, and loose a  house or two ,  then you qualify , for  real  farang status , premier class.

It,s     called   life  experience .   Time  is  a  learner , for those who want to learn .

Good  luck . 555

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I agree to a point but I would say there is as much chance of getting ripped of by marrying in your home country exept in mine if you divorce if kids are involved you lose the lot warts and all. Which is a dam site more than 400000bht

Can be true. I got divorced in Australia just after Germaine Greer had gained enormous influence on women's right etc. In fact the state I lived in had a premier who was way over the top on this plus the heads of the ministries involved in women's rights / childrens' right, support etc., were all flag waving women's libbers. Laws were changed to support all of this.

I got divorced, I walked away with nothing. Just the clothes on my back. Nothing shared, she got the lot. In that era it was also law that any superannuation rights of the husband had to be estimated, in $ value at 65 years old and the ex wife had to be paid this sum within 5 years. I had to take loans to com up with this quite large amount of money, and it broke me almost for life.

A few years later the government changed and the laws were watered down, but cases already heard were not adjusted.

15 hours ago, ryanhull said:

... certinally is a nice feeling living rent free not having to give a landlord 10-15k a month ...

Wow, last time I rented a 4-room wooden house up-country in Thailand it was about 500 Baht a month.  Electric was maybe 50 Baht, I didn't use much. 

On 10/15/2016 at 8:46 AM, pumpjack said:

yes !!   i agree with kawasaki  !!!

now listen to reason please,   first thing do not jump in,  think long and hard about this,  

can you afford it ?    

is your relationship strong ?    

will you be back and forward to thaialnd and be here enough to enjoy living it this house ?

can you really live in an isaan village ? 

i have built my wife a house in isaan 10 years ago,  at the time we were in strong relationship but now we are finished,  at the time i had a little money but now i have none,  at the time i thought i could live in isaan village but now i could never live life there.  

now my house is lying gathering dirt and probably her family living in it ,  probably resembles a pig sty too.

best of luck to you 

Well said and good advice.

I've met several fellows who live in the boondocks having lashed out on houses who have had to come to Pattaya for a taste of Western civilisation and to get away from the village. No Falang grub, no telly, no internet, scrounging relatives, no one to talk to and loneliness, and a more or less miserable existence are the usual complaints.

Don't do it unless you know more about such a venture than others who have been before you do.

On 10/15/2016 at 10:39 AM, scorecard said:

"... all the family relatives are going to be there."

On this point I hope your aware that in many cases extended family just turn up;  they don't ask first, they don't wait for an invitation, and long-stay / permanent stay could be part of the story. Turning them away is pretty much impossible, and demanding that your wife /gf tell them to leave won't work, she will never do that. 

They often expect that they can just walk in and dump boxes of fruit and whatever everywhere including stacked all over the living room and kitchen furniture etc., and make the yard a total ugly mess, they often have no hesitation to move the TV without asking, and turn up the volume to very loud, change the channel without asking from your CNN show to a Thai joker show, etc. And they will expect food and drink to be laid on.

All part of traditional Thai family stuff and it's not going to change quickly.   

There are just too many horror stories like this and worse floating about that only a grade one dimwit would choose to ignore!

On 10/15/2016 at 8:30 PM, Phatbeets said:

Shake my head at the warm-hearted common sense therapists in this thread

Same guys giving moral lessons when they live right next to a whorehouse in real life :giggle:

Then they must know what they're talking about. 

If they've got a knocking shop on their doorstep they must be familiar with the character and habits of it's occupants mustn't they.

IMHO what she asks for is not overkill.400k today is just a ordinary thai house.Nothing fancy.There is so many different events that have happend to all of us,when we have +5 years with a thai girl.Most of us help out with the family when there is need for it.When YOU feel like helping,and not always when they ask for any help.That way you earn youre own respect inside the family.Most of us also do have an Isan girl,so help is very much welcome.I dont want to put any number or how many hours,but the number is quite high after a few years.

The biggest difference here compared to what most of us is used to is the differnce in age.

Just take a look in the mirror.How many of you do you think could land a girl looking like youre girlfriend back home? 15-20 -30 years younger then youreself.? And half the weight.

Not all,but most of us.

Or even retired 60+ with no hard on for the last ten years and a girlfriend or even a wife 18-20 years of age.I just call it real love.Get real.

Ofcourse they want some cind of security.All you can do is to protect youreself the best way you can.

Stay together a few years first before even thinking about building anything.And I dont talk about the ones that see their so called girlfriends or wifes 1 or 2 times a year for 2-3 weeks.You have nothing to say in this matter,because 90% of youre girlfriends is cheating behind youre backs when youre not here.   Why not. So would you, if you were her age and alone for so long time.

If you after a few years together feel that you need to ask others what to do.I think the answer is already in youre head and nobody need to point it out for you.