• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

2. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

3. 0

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

4. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

5. 23

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

6. 61

Why Do You Even Drink?

7. 23

8. 14

Thaksin and Pheu Thai Party face constitutional showdown

9. 1

Police Identify 24 Suspects in Connection with Hundreds of Deaths at UK Hospital

10. 9

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

11. 0

60-Year-Old Man Fatally Shoots Ex-Girlfriend, Then Himself, After Failed Reconciliation

12. 0

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

13. 130

Trump chickens out again.

14. 23

15. 23

Crowds gather to witness enormous hauls of fish

rooster59

Crowds gather to witness enormous hauls of fish

Chutharat Plerin

1_2016101515524054_oKovONXCVEsZERCbbrgKIfIuLrDQqxzfIobWCyZY_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: Local fishermen at Patong showed off their enormous hauls of fish this morning, photos of which went viral on social media.

A number of locals gathered at the beach to take a look at the occurrence, which was earlier thought to be unnatural by some.

“Local fishermen make their way to this part of the Andaman Sea to catch large amounts of fish when the monsoon season is about to come to an end,” Phuket Lifeguard Club President Prathaiyut Chuayuan told the Phuket Gazette this morning. 

“We also expect to see large schools of dolphins feeding on all this fish soon.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Crowds-gather-witness-enormous-hauls-fish/65718?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-16

I'm surprised there are any dolphins left as they tend to get caught in the nets and of course overfishing and development are the main cause for declining fish populations. Thai fishermen can blame pollution, however, they are the worst polluters, and treat the sea like it was their personal trash bin by throwing all their garbage into the sea before returning to shore. Oil change is going directly into the sea as is the used fuel filter etc. And they wonder why there are fewer and fewer fish... :passifier:

53 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Great idea.  Catch as many of them as you can before they are all gone. The future is somebody else's problem.

In reality its all our problems but we like to kick the can down the road. We suffer from gluttony in many ways and this is just one example. Maybe its an understanding thing as we come here to live out our retirement with western pensions and benefits and run into a brick wall of people that survive day by day. I still struggle at my advanced age to understand my fellow man but then we are not all created equal but then at the rate we are killing off the wildlife of our planet there is no equality there either. Maybe we are descending down to their level. 

28 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

In reality its all our problems but we like to kick the can down the road. We suffer from gluttony in many ways and this is just one example. Maybe its an understanding thing as we come here to live out our retirement with western pensions and benefits and run into a brick wall of people that survive day by day. I still struggle at my advanced age to understand my fellow man but then we are not all created equal but then at the rate we are killing off the wildlife of our planet there is no equality there either. Maybe we are descending down to their level. 

I find my own reaction interesting. The more waste and shortsightedness I see in the local fishing, land clearance, tree cutting, replacing rice fields with oil palm plantations; the more I try to lessen my impact on the planet's resources.

Edited by sendintheclowns
grammar

"We also expect to see large schools of dolphins feeding on the fish soon..."

And den we got dem, too!!!

lol... but perhaps, and ironically, us older folk, are lucky in that we probably won't see the famine that is just around the corner, as the human predator population continues in its explosive expansion

Sooner or later, we're going to snap to the fact that we can no more count on natural fisheries than we can count on natural herds of cattle, natural fields of grain and natural forests of peach trees.

It's a simple matter of numbers.

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Its not my problem

I don't eat any thing that comes out of the waters of Thailand anymore

The last time I ate  "fresh"  fish here I was laid up in hospital for 5 days

Typical Thai mentality - live for today, don't think about tomorrow.

Reminds me of this famous native American saying:

"When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize one can not eat money." 

19 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

No they are descending down to our level, We already decimated all our wildlife, forests, and air. They are just following suit to our dismay. Suddenly we are the green guys, NOT.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Sooner or later, we're going to snap to the fact that we can no more count on natural fisheries than we can count on natural herds of cattle, natural fields of grain and natural forests of peach trees.

It's a simple matter of numbers.

The Thais are snapping to that fact already so far as the wild fishery is concerned. It is predictably doomed.  That is why Thailand is now the largest fish importer in the world and almost all of that is reprocessed and exported. Seafood farming has also taken over from wild fishing but that has export drawbacks with pollution, antibiotics, quality of feed etc.

Now, if money could only be made from toxic jellyfish that would quickly eradicate that problem from the beaches.

On 16/10/2016 at 11:36 AM, chilli42 said:

Great idea.  Catch as many of them as you can before they are all gone. The future is somebody else's problem.

Fish breed. 

Dolphins take more than fishermen, would you like to ban them from eating them too, they ?

Edited by gdgbb

On 16/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, fullcave said:

I'm surprised there are any dolphins left as they tend to get caught in the nets and of course overfishing and development are the main cause for declining fish populations. Thai fishermen can blame pollution, however, they are the worst polluters, and treat the sea like it was their personal trash bin by throwing all their garbage into the sea before returning to shore. Oil change is going directly into the sea as is the used fuel filter etc. And they wonder why there are fewer and fewer fish... :passifier:

"And they wonder why there are fewer and fewer fish..."

Who is wondering that?  You've missed the entire point of this report, it is about enormous catches, not reduced catches.

On 16/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, elgordo38 said:

We suffer from gluttony in many ways and this is just one example.

Why is this catching of fish an example of 'gluttony'?  Fishermen are not able to choose how many fish go into the nets, that depends on how many fish are there at the time, gluttony doesn't come into it.

12 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Typical Thai mentality - live for today, don't think about tomorrow.

Typical Thai fishermen's mentality, try to make a living to feed the children.  Shocking.

3 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

The Thais are snapping to that fact already so far as the wild fishery is concerned. It is predictably doomed.  That is why Thailand is now the largest fish importer in the world and almost all of that is reprocessed and exported. Seafood farming has also taken over from wild fishing but that has export drawbacks with pollution, antibiotics, quality of feed etc.

Now, if money could only be made from toxic jellyfish that would quickly eradicate that problem from the beaches.

As of 2015 Thailand is only the world's largest importer of fish if you ignore the imports made by (in descending order) US, Japan, China, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Vietnam and S. Korea and all the other countries that import more than Thailand.

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

As of 2015 Thailand is only the world's largest importer of fish if you ignore the imports made by (in descending order) US, Japan, China, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Vietnam and S. Korea and all the other countries that import more than Thailand.

Thailand is one the largest fish exporters in the world. Much of that exported fish is reprocessed imported fish such as tuna. Farmed seafood also accounts for a large percentage of exports. Thailand is therefore the largest importer in the world of fish for re-processing (as distinct from domestic consumption). Very little of the fish that is processed and exported comes from the wild. Hence the reason for the fish imports being so high. Very little imported fish is for domestic consumption.

6 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"And they wonder why there are fewer and fewer fish..."

Who is wondering that?  You've missed the entire point of this report, it is about enormous catches, not reduced catches.

Did you read the article? :hit-the-fan:

“The pla pan, ponyfish, sardine, as well as krills and crabs, used to amount to a lot when I was young,” he said. “However, due to pollution and sea waste, the number has decreased in recent years.”

It amazes me that seemingly intelligent people argue about overfishing, gluttony, feeding families, fish stock for future generations etc etc, as seen here

the evidence is in... and well documented.

and... yes you can limit, or otherwise determine what goes into a net... fine net sizes catch and kill everything... larger net sizes, as mandated by resposible fisheries, let the small one thru, to grow to be bigger food for your kids.

sustainable fisheries 101.... and unlike rocket science, this isn't rocket science... and neither is it unique to Thailand.

IMG_2345.PNG

22 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Typical Thai fishermen's mentality, try to make a living to feed the children.  Shocking.

You assume these people live in poverty. 

In any case,  his children are feed today, what do they eat tomorrow, when there are no fish left????

Looking to the next generation, what job will his children do, they can't be fishermen?  How will they feed their children????

On 10/16/2016 at 1:02 PM, sendintheclowns said:

I find my own reaction interesting. The more waste and shortsightedness I see in the local fishing, land clearance, tree cutting, replacing rice fields with oil palm plantations; the more I try to lessen my impact on the planet's resources.

Talking to a friend of mine who recently had a heart attack the doctor asked him what kind of oil he was using and he stated palm oil and she grimaced. Yes we need more palm oil plantations. 

On 18/10/2016 at 7:41 PM, elgordo38 said:

Talking to a friend of mine who recently had a heart attack the doctor asked him what kind of oil he was using and he stated palm oil and she grimaced. Yes we need more palm oil plantations. 

Did the Doctor also ask what beer he drinks?