Link to extension for a 30 day non visa exemption.

Hello everybody,

I have this problem. I not have a visa, leaving for 7 weeks to Asia. The reason I not have it, is because I plan to leave the Kingdom, to visit other places. If I would do that early in my trip my visa, has nu value anyway.

Honestly, what is the guaranty for the airline? If I would ave visa, and overstay 2 months, problem stays the same, and like I said above, the visa is not valid if I leave the country and come in again.

So to have flexibility, I always do an extension, when needed. I never stay longer, then these 2 months anyway. Problem is, airlines not seem to know, that only after 2 months without visa, you can be illegal in the country for sure. (even if you could leave the country before these 2 months)

But meanwhile, I will risk to get denied boarding. Anyway, I have no way to obtain a visa before departure. So I would like to have an official statement, that without visa, 30 days extension can be obtained. I do have previous extensions in my passport, but I prefer to play it more safe.

Thanks for helping out.

Not sure showing them a link to prove you can get a 30 day extension would help. They want the proof of onward travel in case you are denied entry.

One option is to look for low cost one way ticket to a nearby country. Check for flights departing from other airports than Bangkok and you can often find the lowest fares that way. Buying them in advance you can often find them for about 1000 baht.

It's not a risk in being denied boarding, it's almost a certainty. Without a visa they will not allow you to board the plane with a return date of more than 30 days unless you have onward travel out of Thailand and can prove it by showing them a ticket.

This can be in the form of a one way ticket from say Bangkok to Phnom Penh which costs virtually nothing (a few thousand Baht) , it doesn't matter if you actually board that flight but this will guarantee your original entry both onto the flight and into the country when you arrive.

The reason for this is not just the airlines own arbitrary rules but it's the fact that immigration in Bangkok could and may well deny you entrance to the country and force the airline to return you to the country where you've just arrived from, they will also fine the airline a few thousand US Dollars which seems to be a standard amount around the world for this type of situation.

So I would suggest you buy a cheap ticket to somewhere else which leaves within 30 days of your arrival to avoid additional scrutiny at both the airline checkin desk and immigration at the airport in Bangkok.

It is safest to have an onward flight booked if traveling without a visa. Lacking that, you may well be OK if you look affluent, and confidently state that you are quite sure immigration will admit you. The supervisor may want you to sign an indemnity form. This is a guarantee that you will reimburse the airline for all costs they incur (including the fines they must pay to the Thai authorities) if you are denied entry. If you look like a backpacker, the airline supervisor will likely not give you that option, as the indemnity is only worth anything if you have the money to back it up. I have numerous times traveled without visa or onward ticket, and have yet to be denied check in. However, the airlines are steadily becoming stricter, and you should consider what you will do if the airline goes by the letter of the IATA regulations.

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is safest to have an onward flight booked if traveling without a visa. Lacking that, you may well be OK if you look affluent, and confidently state that you are quite sure immigration will admit you. The supervisor may want you to sign an indemnity form. This is a guarantee that you will reimburse the airline for all costs they incur (including the fines they must pay to the Thai authorities) if you are denied entry. If you look like a backpacker, the airline supervisor will likely not give you that option, as the indemnity is only worth anything if you have the money to back it up. I have numerous times traveled without visa or onward ticket, and have yet to be denied check in. However, the airlines are steadily becoming stricter, and you should consider what you will do if the airline goes by the letter of the IATA regulations.

I traveled since 1990 to Thailand. Sometimes going to another Asian country after, sometimes having the ticket already, sometimes not.  A year ago, they did not want to board me, for the first time, twice. Why twice, my plane to Frankfurt was late, and could only leave next day on A Thai airways flight, where check in, same thing.  Buit both times, my extension from the time before, helped. 

This time would back it up with the official statement of immigration. Strangely enough in February, nothing asked...

If you are a Brit, and are allowed to enter Thailand you can get a 30 day extension at Bangkok immigration at Chaengwattana  in Bangkok in your first 30 day visa exempt entry

The 30 day extension will cost you 1900 Baht and and hour or two of your time waiting for it to be processed.

This has been true since August 2015 and I  have done it myself twice.

Not a problem in Thailand once you are here

it would behoove you to spend the money and the time to ge a 60 day tourist visa in the U.K. before you leave.

That would be the intelligent way to solve the problem, or to avoid the problem entirely.

a single entry 60 day tourist visa would get you a 69 day "permitted to stay stamp" on entry.

That entry stamp could also be extended fo 30 days at immigration which would give you a 90 day  stay total

Alternatively, purchasing a cheap ticket to the first country you intend to go to after Thailand before you attempt to board your flight to Thailand would probably work, as it  would keep the airline happy and get you into Thailand on a visa exempt entry......where you would be able to get that 30 day extension at Chaeng Wattaba immigration I mentioned above.

You do not need to USE that onward ticket, it s just there for show if the airline asks for it as IATA rules require them to ask for a valid Thai visa Or an onward ticket for you to board your flight to Thailand.

28 minutes ago, indieke said:

I traveled since 1990 to Thailand. Sometimes going to another Asian country after, sometimes having the ticket already, sometimes not.  A year ago, they did not want to board me, for the first time, twice. Why twice, my plane to Frankfurt was late, and could only leave next day on A Thai airways flight, where check in, same thing.  Buit both times, my extension from the time before, helped. 

This time would back it up with the official statement of immigration. Strangely enough in February, nothing asked...

Sorry, but the official position of Thai immigration is what the IATA regulations are based on. There is no reference you can point to that tells the airline that the International Air Transport Association's negotiated regulations with Thai immigration are wrong. It is a fact that Thai immigration applies more liberal criteria for entry than the official ones, but this is not automatically accepted by the airlines. If you do not have a visa or ticket, look affluent, speak quietly but confidently, and hope the airline supervisor accepts your assurances that you know there will be no problem with immigration based on previous experience. There are no guarantees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

a single entry 60 day tourist visa would get you a 69 day "permitted to stay stamp" on entry.

That entry stamp could also be extended fo 30 days at immigration which would give you a 90 day  stay total

I will visit Thai 26th October with my 60 days visa, in the mean time 30th December  I plans visit Jakarta .Return of   2th January and 10 th back to my home country.  This means that I should not be worry about  time  between 26-30 December ??? 

11 hours ago, observerhaters said:

I will visit Thai 26th October with my 60 days visa, in the mean time 30th December  I plans visit Jakarta .Return of   2th January and 10 th back to my home country.  This means that I should not be worry about  time  between 26-30 December ??? 

A single entry tourist visa provides exactly that ONE entry per visa. On entry you receive permission to stay for 60 days which may be extended for 3o days on application to an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht. 

If you wish to leave and return during this time a re-entry permit is needed (1000 Bht from an immigration office or Bangkok airport)