Aussie Embassy Returns to Chiang Mai this Friday, 21st Oct

Lizard2010

Aussie Embassy Returns to Chiang Mai this Friday, 21st Oct.

Aussie passport 2

The Australian Embassy will be at Le Méridien on Friday providing Consular Services to Aussies.

The Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok will be undertaking the following consular outreach visits in Chiang Mai at:

Le Méridien Chiang Mai
108 Chang Klan Road
Tambol Chang Klan, Amphur Muang
Chiang Mai 50100 Thailand
T 053 253 666

The outreach visits will take place between 9.00am to 12.00pm and 1.00pm to 3.00pm on the following days:

Friday 21 October 2016 (VIP Lounge)

Friday 9 December 2016 (VIP Lounge)

During the outreach visits, they will provide the following services:

Passport applications (please ensure you bring all original documents and a photocopy of each document with you)
Notarial services
Statutory declarations for marriage, retirement visas and driving licence renewals
Witnessing documents
Certified true copies of documents (please ensure you bring the original and a photocopy of each document with you)

As fees are payable in cash only, please bring the right change with you. Please contact the Consular section on 02 344 6300 or email [email protected] prior to your visit if you require further details and/or to confirm fees payable.

You wouldn't read about it, as they say in Aus.

I've never needed consular outreach, I get the emails from CMEC and am grateful for them but it's not the kind of thing I'd ever need. I have UK and AU passports, visit each country every year, have power of attorney for each of us in place in both countries, why would I ever need it (although nobody would recognise my 33 year old marriage certificate last year, had to wait until I got to England to get my visa, minor inconvenience, very pleasant visa run to KL to boot). But there's nothing that can't wait.

Then I got an email Thursday afternoon, we've sold one of the apartments in Melbourne, solicitor had just recieved all of the deeds and doc's and everything is good except for a new regulation. To prevent false sales and frauds, when you sell a property (don't know if it's just Vic or Federal) you now have to make an appointment with a post office manager or assistant manager,  and take more forms of identification that a lot of older people would likely have, and upon satisfying themselves that you are indeed who you say you are, a certificate will be issued which the solicitor has to  file at the land office prior to settlement being allowed.  I can see the point of that.  Bit inconvenient if you don't have a post office locally though. Solicitor said OK, can be done through the embassy.

OMG!  I need them!  Wait, didn't I delete an email from them last week?  That means they've either just been or are coming soon That would mean that they're coming.  Check deleted, yup, they're coming tomorrow, magnificent timing.  How lucky can a girl get?

Literally 3 hours later, message from CMEC to say the outreach was cancelled.

I've been sulking over the weekend looking at how expensive the last minute fares were.  Thought I'd give it until Tuesday to book one, message said postponed not cancelled.

Very happy that they are saving me the time, effort and money to get to Bangkok.

"Very happy that they are saving me the time, effort and money to get to Bangkok. "

Sounds like Konini also doesn't like the 'pilgramage' to the Embassy just to get a piece of paper signed.

At least CM, you get an outreach visit................

I have been in contact with THE Australian Embassy, inquiring about their services, or lack thereof.

Thai Immigration accepts embassy letters/affidavits as proof of income for the Retirement Visa.

UK Embassy provides this service.

Australian Embassy response; "we are looking into it:. (Mirrors response!)

If some more Aussies were to contact the Au Embassy, maybe they might do something.

That last bit is a plea. Thousands of us have to do this ridiculous pilgrimage every year, just to get a Statuatory Dec stamped & signed.

Please, oh please, contact the Embassy asking when it will provide the Income  Affidavit to Au citizens, living here.

2 minutes ago, crutchy26 said:

"Very happy that they are saving me the time, effort and money to get to Bangkok. "

Sounds like Konini also doesn't like the 'pilgramage' to the Embassy just to get a piece of paper signed.

At least CM, you get an outreach visit................

I have been in contact with THE Australian Embassy, inquiring about their services, or lack thereof.

Thai Immigration accepts embassy letters/affidavits as proof of income for the Retirement Visa.

UK Embassy provides this service.

Australian Embassy response; "we are looking into it:. (Mirrors response!)

If some more Aussies were to contact the Au Embassy, maybe they might do something.

That last bit is a plea. Thousands of us have to do this ridiculous pilgrimage every year, just to get a Statuatory Dec stamped & signed.

Please, oh please, contact the Embassy asking when it will provide the Income  Affidavit to Au citizens, living here.

What are you going on about

The outreach does proof of Residence

A stat declaration of you income

You have provide evidence from you pension or Superanuation

This is normal

i visited them a while ago

i got a stat declaration of my pension from OZ

Which is accepted by Immigration

Not sure for how long

Did not ned this time

Will need next year

plus they yr to come up her every 2 months now not 3 as thay used to

They are realising that we need assistance her

its all about money and budgets

From Canberra I dont have to say anymore on that

Plus i have been in contact with them several times over the last 9 months

Maybe you are getting Your Wires Crossed

Ditto here.  Prepared my own Stat Dec which they witnessed and put seal on.  No problems with immigration.

They did not ask for any substantiating information on pension amount (though I did bring it with me and provided details in the Stat Dec of source and nature).

I gather they are more or less witnessing the signature rather than verifying its contents.  As an individual you commit the offence when you sign and its false, and submit in order to obtain a benefit.  I think the US  consul is pretty much the same deal. 

Exactly correct - you can actually go to jail for lying on a Stat Dec.  I've had to have them done over the years whilst living in Australia, I usually went to the local police station on my way home from work because they can sign too.  It was just easier.  Stat Dec's aren't an embassy thing at all, it is you Joe Public making a declaration, and by having it in the correct format (i.e. use the correct words) it becomes a Statutory Declaration once correctly signed and witnessed by one of an approved set of people, and it is then becomes a legal document.  I've always just used a template and had a JP sign it or police officer sign.  I learnt the first time not to sign it before you go, they are actually witnessing your signature.  True story.

On a similar note, I believe that there is a JP here in Chiang Mai.  I would be interested in investigating further if any documents required for back home would run into problems, provided the JP still has the authority and stamp is signed here.  I doubt immigration would accept, although if said person could be given letters of referral - there again, I wouldn't be putting my hand up, we're away too often and people disturbing you all the time might wear a bit thin.  Probably doing something along the lines of what Mike used to do, but then that means being a consulate and while I'm sure there'd be a few people put up their hands to be a JP and sign your stat dec, not many would want to go through the background checks etc to be an honorary consul.  Or would there????????  If I remember I'll ask  

Just a quick note in case anyone is considering going today.

Not sure if the/delayed date is cause but numbers are very low, perhaps 5 or 6 people waiting at any time. 

Was in and out for a Stat  Dec (500 Baht) in less than fifteen minutes.

I must say that the service improves (not that it was bad) each time I go.  Numbering systems, forms availability, writing desks, receipt issue etc have all improved.

I did ask the Embassy A based officer if there was any intention of letting Hon Consul sign stat decs ....one word answer "Never".  Apparently current legislation does not allow for this, no plans, not a priority, to change. I queried arrangements regarding the QLD (as I recall) JP here, was advised that QLD has unique legislation that continues to permit authority  ( I imagine this would be only for QLD state related business but not sure).

All in all if Immigration want the Embassy seal, and it is so easy to do now, I will just go with the consular outreach service.

Great service all round.

Archived