Prayut makes surprise appointment of Bangkok Governor

webfact

Prayuth makes surprise appointment of Bangkok Governor

By Khaosod English -

asawin-1.jpg

Aswin Kwanmuang visits Saphan Lek in Bangkok in October 2015.

BANGKOK — Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha used his absolute power under Article 44 of the interim constitution Tuesday to appoint a replacement for Gov. Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

Deputy Bangkok Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang was appointed to the top job Tuesday morning, two months after Sukhumbhand was suspended from duty in August in light of an ongoing graft investigation into his use of funds.

Developing story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/18/prayuth-makes-surprise-appointment-new-bangkok-governor/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-18

No pretext of merit selection, just used his absolute power !!!

Unless I've missed it, I believe we have not yet been told that Sukhumbhand has been proven guilty in the "ongoing graft investigation against him" (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939527-you-just-got-44d-prayut-suspends-bangkok-governor-indefinitely/?page=1).

So, we can now take it as read that Prayuth will not be considering restoring "...the twice-elected governor to his position (if) he is cleared of any wrongdoing...".

Sukhumbhand_1.jpg

Sukhumbhand was ineffectual & failed to address the problem of traffic & annual flooding. The BMA had little or no Urban Planning in relation to these two critical problems to ensure BKK is a 21st century city (province). The appointment of a new Governor seems to have been made unrelated to the investigation into graft accusations against Sukhumbhand. 

14 minutes ago, eggers said:

Sukhumbhand was ineffectual & failed to address the problem of traffic & annual flooding. The BMA had little or no Urban Planning in relation to these two critical problems to ensure BKK is a 21st century city (province). The appointment of a new Governor seems to have been made unrelated to the investigation into graft accusations against Sukhumbhand. 

I am not getting involved in these politics but if the issue of anyone losing their position because of Bangkok traffic, then they are asking the impossible. It will take 20 years, trillions of baht, no corruption, a complete change of infrastructure and disruption for the same period.

So highly improbable it will happen in my lifetime unless they start using flying cars.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am not getting involved in these politics but if the issue of anyone losing their position because of Bangkok traffic, then they are asking the impossible. It will take 20 years, trillions of baht, no corruption, a complete change of infrastructure and disruption for the same period.

So highly improbable it will happen in my lifetime unless they start using flying cars.

Just change/train the BKK policeforce and trafficproblems will melt like snow in the sun. 

Also training (on tv) the Thai how to drive properly/safe will help a lot....they just don't give a shoot about any rules.

41 minutes ago, waldroj said:

No pretext of merit selection, just used his absolute power !!

Selection not based on merit? 

The new Governor was the Deputy Governor, there's a bit of merit and experience in that alone, in addition to..." Aswin, his replacement, is best known as the driving force behind City Hall’s ongoing campaign to clear out street markets and communities located on public land."

Probably the most obvious and meritworthy successor.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Just change/train the BKK policeforce and trafficproblems will melt like snow in the sun. 

Also training (on tv) the Thai how to drive properly/safe will help a lot....they just don't give a shoot about any rules.

Whilst I agree with the training and police I believe the whole infrastructure needs to be revamped. having u turns in fast lanes, the lanes not suitable for the amount of cars, poor construction and roads etc etc. Certainly education will also help. Actually using the automated traffic lights that have been installed for years. These all combined with the massive investments might get Bangkok roads like Singapore or KL.

Hate to be a spoilsport, but I can see a day coming when these kinds of news threads will all be locked for comment, and it will be a good thing, IMO.

Unless you are a Thai voter, all the speculation will do absolutely nothing.. but strain relations between Thai and farang. 

For sure , if it was a more sensitive PM (look at countries nearby) it would probably wind up with tougher visa restrictions.

I seem to remember a visa regulation of many countries..do not get involved in politics?

Its arguable whether commenting is classed as getting involved per se, but if you look at commenting in regards to other laws here, it is an absolute no-no.

In any case, if you are here under many of the existing visa classifications and rules, theres not a frikkin thing you can do about it, so why create unwanted noise?

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

So, we can now take it as read that Prayuth will not be considering restoring "...the twice-elected governor to his position (if) he is cleared of any wrongdoing...".

Our man Prayuth has article 44, therefore he can go left, he can go right, full speed ahead, or reverse, as he pleases... meaning he can put Sukhumbhand in a corner and forget about him, he can reinstate him, he can make him a general and cabinet member if he wants, without having to justify himself. Life's good.

1 hour ago, eggers said:

So they have given the deputy governor the job!

2 hours ago, waldroj said:

No pretext of merit selection, just used his absolute power !!!

Unless I've missed it, I believe we have not yet been told that Sukhumbhand has been proven guilty in the "ongoing graft investigation against him" (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939527-you-just-got-44d-prayut-suspends-bangkok-governor-indefinitely/?page=1).

Sukhumbhand_1.jpg

Could this be a back hand warning to the next person that wants to assume the position of PM oh sorry that position has already been filled. The bride in waiting awaits. 

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

On odd occasions I,ve witnessed flying pigs over here,maybe they can become useful.....:smile:

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Whilst I agree with the training and police I believe the whole infrastructure needs to be revamped. having u turns in fast lanes, the lanes not suitable for the amount of cars, poor construction and roads etc etc. Certainly education will also help. Actually using the automated traffic lights that have been installed for years. These all combined with the massive investments might get Bangkok roads like Singapore or KL.

Singapore?? Be carefull mate, the upcountrybrigade hates that word.

And what lanes you're talking 'bout? At some roads they repainted the "lanes" but also left the old stripes....nobody understands it anymore.

I have NEVER seen the police on patrol and stopping people to give them a fine.....yes checkpoints they have but they cause only more congestion. The police is a real joke and the one to blame for all issues.

Yesterday i had a policetruck behind me with running alarmlights but no sirenes...after a while they stopped at the mall, one officier stepped out and went it to the mall and the other one drove off with the lights still running. No hurry or nothing....as slow as they always do...:facepalm:

4 hours ago, eggers said:

He was also named as one of the people responsible for the Bangkok floods. Not clearing out drains, etc.

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Selection not based on merit? 

The new Governor was the Deputy Governor, there's a bit of merit and experience in that alone, in addition to..." Aswin, his replacement, is best known as the driving force behind City Hall’s ongoing campaign to clear out street markets and communities located on public land."

Probably the most obvious and meritworthy successor.

Bear in mind,  many posters will knock anything just for the sack of knocking without even considering one fact let alone the overall picture.

Traditionally for military governments in Thailand, the Bangkok Governor has always been a potential and effective focal point through which the military ruling clique of the day can be questioned and opposed. If I was a self-appointed ruler, it would be one of the areas to watch or, better still, to have under close control.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumband sacked and Asawin Kwanmuang appointed new governor

Sukhumband.png

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha invoked Section 44 of the interim constitution to remove M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra as Bangkok governor and appoint one of the four deputy governors, Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang, as the new governor.

The three other deputy governors were also removed from their offices by virtue of Order 64/2559 issued by the prime minister in his capacity as head of the National Council for Peace and Order. The order was published in the Royal Gazette and became effective as of Tuesday.

The order empowers Pol Gen Asawin to appoint no more than four deputy governors who will help him perform the duties until there is the gubernatorial election in Bangkok or until there is a change of the NCPO order.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-governor-sukhumband-sacked-asawin-kwanmuang-appointed-new-governor/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-18

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Urban management is non-existent in thailand so no one should lose their job over it...

now lets talk about how to design a U-turn....

Better talk (to the Thai) about how to take it so they won't use 2 incoming lanes for a U-turn.

5 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Hate to be a spoilsport, but I can see a day coming when these kinds of news threads will all be locked for comment, and it will be a good thing, IMO.

Unless you are a Thai voter, all the speculation will do absolutely nothing.. but strain relations between Thai and farang. 

For sure , if it was a more sensitive PM (look at countries nearby) it would probably wind up with tougher visa restrictions.

I seem to remember a visa regulation of many countries..do not get involved in politics?

Its arguable whether commenting is classed as getting involved per se, but if you look at commenting in regards to other laws here, it is an absolute no-no.

In any case, if you are here under many of the existing visa classifications and rules, theres not a frikkin thing you can do about it, so why create unwanted noise?

It's easy to say that farangs shouldn't become involved in politics but those that do live in Thailand pay taxes and generally contribute to the economy. Therefore it's only reasonable to suggest that they have some say in how local policies are devised especially when it comes to the state of the highways and other infrastructure.