U.S. Consulate closed till 31st / need a U.S. notary!

Kf6vci

An alternative which works for whom?  No USA official will accept anything but an official Notary Public (99% certain).  You may find someone here who will stamp a form, but USA will not accept.

As far as i know, USA Embassy/Consulate only option for USA needs. 

Bus to BKK 500 baht.  Own motorbike cheaper, take your time.

I've had this issue before.. a form that I needed notarized for use by a US based company.

Most states (who regulate notaries at the state level and is the most common form of notary used) require that the notary actually see and verify the applicant in person (exceptions might be for people signing as/under Power of Attorney, but in that case the named person with power would need to be physically present) would be plus some states don't allow their notaries to notarize something unless that notary action takes place IN the state where they hold notary authority. I don't know of any state-regulated notary who can it or will notarized something without a physical presence or via some on-line format.

Even the bank, specially the branch manager, where I've been a customer for more than a decade can't notarize something unless I physically present myself - even though she knows me for more than a decade and knows my signature (from their signature card on file)

Outside of the US, it looks like the Embassy/Consulate is your only option

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not sure why consulate is closed so many days.  But in any case, you can take an overnight train to Hua Lamphong and then take MRT to Lumpini[???].  20 baht motorbike taxi to embassy

Make sure you make an appointment.  The time of day isn't too important.  As long as you are on the list for that day, you will be allowed inside.

I do not know what you need this for, but in the past, when I needed a notary for a couple of different business things in USA - there is a lawyer in the Hillside complex across the street from and not too far down the block from Kad Suan Kaew Central Shopping Mall... I last used him a few years ago and the fee was quite reasonable... I think he is in a storefront on the lobby floor. 

3 hours ago, jobin said:

An alternative which works for whom?  No USA official will accept anything but an official Notary Public (99% certain).  You may find someone here who will stamp a form, but USA will not accept.

As far as i know, USA Embassy/Consulate only option for USA needs. 

Bus to BKK 500 baht.  Own motorbike cheaper, take your time.

500 Baht? I think it more like 700-800. I flew to Bangkok and back in August for 700 each way. Cheap as chips.

Many Thai lawyers are certified by the thai bar association to be notaries. They usually charge 1500 baht. Pick a lawyer and ask if he can do a notarization. They take a notary course and a test to be certified. One word of caution...Thailand never signed the international notary treaty, so if it's a doc needed by some company in the US, the Thai lawyer notary is ok. If it's something like a Will, I would get it done by the US embassy in bkk.

15 hours ago, Rama said:

Many Thai lawyers are certified by the thai bar association to be notaries. They usually charge 1500 baht. Pick a lawyer and ask if he can do a notarization. They take a notary course and a test to be certified. One word of caution...Thailand never signed the international notary treaty, so if it's a doc needed by some company in the US, the Thai lawyer notary is ok. If it's something like a Will, I would get it done by the US embassy in bkk.

1500 baht would be most likely for unlimited pages.

More like 500 baht  for a lawyer to notarize one page.

Although I have done this several times I used a small office lawyer in CM - maybe large offices and Bangkok charge more?

Edited by TravelerEastWest

15 hours ago, Rama said:

Except the problem is that Thai notaries are not legally recognized anywhere else in the world. So, spending money on a Thai notary, if the people you are dealing with require an official notary, is a waste of time and money. 

4 hours ago, TheSiemReaper said:

Except the problem is that Thai notaries are not legally recognized anywhere else in the world. So, spending money on a Thai notary, if the people you are dealing with require an official notary, is a waste of time and money. 

Not true. I was able to sell my house using a "Notary Services Attorney". It may not be universally accepted in the US but it will work in many cases. Just have to check first.

15 hours ago, scorpio1945 said:

Not true. I was able to sell my house using a "Notary Services Attorney". It may not be universally accepted in the US but it will work in many cases. Just have to check first.

I had a similar case but I disagree with your conclusion.

I had two refi contracts  notarized by a Thai lawyer and they were accepted by the bank and escrow company. I later found out the Thai notary wasn't valid but the escrow company and loan officer didn't know so it wasn't a problem

Just because the notary is accepted doesn't mean it is valid. No problem for minor stuff, but if a document was possibly going to end up being used in a court case, such as contested divorce or child custody,  it might be very important whether the notary is valid or or not.

..... 1500 baht would be most likely for unlimited pages.

US embassy is PER notary stamp (page), as is most notaries. Although they may offer volume discounts.

But the embassies in particular are expensive....1500-2000 baht a stamp. But sometimes, its your only option.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, 4evermaat said:

US embassy is PER notary stamp (page), as is most notaries. Although they may offer volume discounts.

But the embassies in particular are expensive....1500-2000 baht a stamp. But sometimes, its your only option.

You can certainly get a discount from some lawyers for volume.