Newbie Help Required

kevin44

Hi all

I am moving from the Uk to live in Pattaya for a year can anyone help on the following.

1 Accomodation- Where do I find out about apartments and costs etc

2. The best way to enjoy a girls company .Dont want to get ripped off.So as much here as possible please. is it best to hire in as required or get involved with a Thai girl, If so what level of support would be required per month?

3. best bars for meeting ex pats

4. Health insurance costs or companies I am 47

Plus anything else i may need to know

Thanks in advance

kevin44

Hi all

I am moving from the Uk to live in Pattaya for a year can anyone help on the following.

2. The best way to enjoy a girls company .Dont want to get ripped off.So as much here as possible please. is it best to hire in as required or get involved with a Thai girl, If so what level of support would be required per month?

Thanks in advance

kevin44

Have you ever been to Thailand before?

yes about 6 times over the past 3years

Hi all

Thanks in advance

kevin44

Have you ever been to Thailand before?

Learn to Speak Thai

Stay away from Bars, the foreigners in them and the girls who work in them, and you will have a much happier time here. It just simplifies your life.

There are so many nice young women in this city who speak English, have some edcation and have never been near a bar. And, they want to meet foreigners, too.

The first thing I would suggest is to search through the various topics in this forum. These questions have been asked and answered many, many times.

I would suggest getting a hotel room for a few days and then shop around for an apartment. There are thousands available, depending on how much you want to spend, where you prefer to be located and what standards you expect. Prices can go from 2,500 baht a month up to (the sky's the limit).

What kind of ex-pats are you hoping to meet ? Fellow UK's or just ex-pats in general. There are a couple of ex-pat clubs in Pattaya that have regular meetings. You'll find clusters of ex-pats of various nationalities in bars all over the city (there's 10's of thousands of ex-pats in Pattaya).

As for girls ? Too complicated for a simple, short answer. Treat them right and they'll treat you right. Treat them like they are a commodity, and they'll treat you the same.

Just remember, NOT EVERY GIRL IN THAILAND IS FOR SALE !

Too many people make that mistake, and some never learn.

Hi all

Thanks in advance

kevin44

Now, I trye to answer you some of your Questions:

1. Stay in a Hotel for some Days and drive arround Pattaya. Go to a Place like Carefour, there you will find a Advertisement Board (Groundfloor on the way to the Toilets). There you can find a lot of Ads for Condo's and Houses. Sometimes real Bargains. You can go to the Real Estate Agents. Give them your Budget and they will show you some Places. I have good Experience with Alan Bolton Property Consultants. Ask for Steve Carleton. A very nice Guy. They are Soi 6/1 Beachroad, where the Soi's connecting to 2. Road. Building called Discovery Park.

2. What kind of Girl are you looking for? If you find one in a Go Go ore Beer Bar, you most likely will take her out from that Place. You most likely will have (want) to give some Compensation for that. How much, it's up to you (and how good she handles you :o ). Salaries (when they are working Bar/Go Go) starts arround 3000 Baht (Bar) up to 15000 (Go Go). Plus extras for Lady Drinks/Barfines and beeing very nice to Customers. If you find a Girl working in a Shop/Center, that's a little different. But she may go in the Evening to Lucifers etc. doing some Freelance? So no real advice, it will be up to you. As you stay for one year, than probably will go back to your country, it would be fair to give here a monthly salarie (6000 to 20000?). I have no Idea.

3. I don't know. You find Expats everywhere. But you can go to a Expatsclub, like Pattaya City Expats or Pattaya Expats Club. They usualy meet once a week. They will give you a lot of Advice.

4. The Clubs I mention bevore offer a Health Insurance (Thai) starting arround 11000 Baht a year. Go and ask them. Both clubs use the same Company afaik.

If u tell us a little more what you will do in the time you are here, maybe we can give you more Informations.

The big subject you don't mention is why you are going to Pattaya. If it's for work with an existing company who has a Thai operation, you should/may be in the company of similar expats. That makes life much easier.

But as you don't mention it I assume you are going it alone in which case you'll be well advised to read through various threads in these fora, particularly those associated with relationships and their fallout.

I wouldn't totally avoid the expat beer bar scene but just be aware that a large proportion of expat bar keeps around town are social misfits best avoided. That's not to say there aren't good guys among them but they are in the minority.

For a year, depending on how the visa regs pan, out you'll have to give consideration to that subject and that's a potential minefield as you will only be able to do 90 days in 180.

Do you intend to seek employement while you are in Pattaya? If not, what are you going to do with your time? Trust me, Iv'e been there, without work or a healthy pasttime it's too easy to drift into the boozing and things only go downhill from that point.

You may wish to consider renting a small house some way out of town. Near enough to get in when you need to but far enough so that the evenings out do not become the rule.

Lastly, get in there and enjoy. I loved the place for many years and would probably still be there but for a momentary lapse of reason.

When you arrive here, take you time committing to anything

1) There are plenty of houses, rooms, hotels, condos for rent or sale at any time of the year. As advised, check into a hotel and then look around. When choosing a room, go back in the day and evening to make sure it is suitable, (not too many stray dogs etc)

2) Different people pay different amounts, that is down to you and your girl, short-long term relationships may be 10-15bht a month to help with family finance,

3) You will find expats everywhere, most of which you will be glad to get away from .

Other info

Make sure you can return home without any problems

Get a Visa before you arrive, if possible a non immigrant O visa multi entry, good for 15 months (with visa runs every 3) unless you will be working etc.

Don’t trust new friends here, Thai or Western

Make sure your credit cards will not run out before you return west.

It is easier to obtain a Thai Driving licence when you apply with a International Driving Licence. Obtain for about £15 from RAC and AA (web sites)

What ever you budget make sure you have more on the back burner, I find no matter how much money I budget, it is never enough

If leaving the UK for 12 months contact inland revenue and fill in form leaving UK, then you may not be expected to pay tax, (you need more info on this)

Thanks for the info ,what was the lapse of reason?

The big subject you don't mention is why you are going to Pattaya. If it's for work with an existing company who has a Thai operation, you should/may be in the company of similar expats. That makes life much easier.

But as you don't mention it I assume you are going it alone in which case you'll be well advised to read through various threads in these fora, particularly those associated with relationships and their fallout.

I wouldn't totally avoid the expat beer bar scene but just be aware that a large proportion of expat bar keeps around town are social misfits best avoided. That's not to say there aren't good guys among them but they are in the minority.

For a year, depending on how the visa regs pan, out you'll have to give consideration to that subject and that's a potential minefield as you will only be able to do 90 days in 180.

Do you intend to seek employement while you are in Pattaya? If not, what are you going to do with your time? Trust me, Iv'e been there, without work or a healthy pasttime it's too easy to drift into the boozing and things only go downhill from that point.

You may wish to consider renting a small house some way out of town. Near enough to get in when you need to but far enough so that the evenings out do not become the rule.

Lastly, get in there and enjoy. I loved the place for many years and would probably still be there but for a momentary lapse of reason.

Learn to Speak Thai

Stay away from Bars, the foreigners in them and the girls who work in them, and you will have a much happier time here. It just simplifies your life.

There are so many nice young women in this city who speak English, have some edcation and have never been near a bar. And, they want to meet foreigners, too.

Not the best addvice, as you can have just a many if not more problems with Non bar girls.

To the Op Just come over and have a good look,

dont fall in lovre to quick.

Have a nice day.

:o

Learn to Speak Thai

But how to meet them?

some good advice .not looking to fall in love to quick! Been burned before.But would like to know what sort of problems i could encounter.

really interested on health insurance do any of you have any plans in place and what sort of costs?

anyway thanks for putting your thoughts down for me .Very helpfull.

kevin44

Someone has to ask this!!!!!!!

What’s your age?

Have you travelled anywhere else in the big wide world

Hobbies golf :D , darts, water sports, Disco :o or even Quiz night (yawn)

Where does the income come from, you don’t have to be specific

Learn to Speak Thai

But how to meet them?

:D How do you normally meet people??? :o

Learn to Speak Thai

But how to meet them?

I know several attractive and educated young Thai women who do not have boyfriends and would very much like to have. So there does seem to be a problem in getting to meet. I have heard of cafes in Bangkok where one can go and meet different people by changing tables. Young unmarried Singaporeans had problem until the government (?) set up social evenings. So I don't think my question is tooo stupid.

So tell us, dear Brit, where should my Thai lady friends go to meet nice men.

Learn to Speak Thai

But how to meet them?

I know several attractive and educated young Thai women who do not have boyfriends and would very much like to have. So there does seem to be a problem in getting to meet. I have heard of cafes in Bangkok where one can go and meet different people by changing tables. Young unmarried Singaporeans had problem until the government (?) set up social evenings. So I don't think my question is tooo stupid.

If you Pm me there phone numbers, i can pop around and service them if you wish.

and do the washing. :D

some good advice .not looking to fall in love to quick! Been burned before.But would like to know what sort of problems i could encounter.

really interested on health insurance do any of you have any plans in place and what sort of costs?

anyway thanks for putting your thoughts down for me .Very helpfull.

kevin44

As for insurance, look at the menu choices at the very top of the page. There is one link regarding insurance Thai Visa Insurance

Or check out the Pattaya Ex-Pats club page: Pattaya ExPats Club

Or check with a travel agency. May be expensive, but they usually have policies/providers that operate world wide.

Good Luck !

Hi all

Thanks in advance

kevin44

Are you aware the VISA rules have changed? You are not a tourist or business person and under 50. You are the kind of visitor that Thailand is trying to discourage. Check this site for more info on VISA's, unlimited VISA runs are no longer possible....you may be SOL.

For health insurance, check with BUPA.

Basically I lost sight of reality. Stress at work coupled with stress in my home life led to a hit on the bottle. Even my best friends couldn't turn me round and make me see sense.

Two years down the line my life is turned around and I'm back in S.E. Asia doing better than before but I could have done without the crash.

In hindsight, a months sabbatical back in the UK would have been the best fix but there are times in life when even the blindingly obvious is obscured by clouds.

(With thanks to the Floyd) :D

btw I'm still a bit of a beer monster but only at appropriate times.

anyway :o

Learn to Speak Thai

But how to meet them?

If you Pm me there phone numbers, i can pop around and service them if you wish.

and do the washing. :D

Dear Icecubes, how sweeeet of you but really don't think you are the right type. Service indeed!! Consider yourself a bit of a bull, do you? dom

Newbie: A lot of people are going to tell you to stay away from the bar girls, but my reaction is don't get tangled up in a relationship.

Hey,"why buy a cow when the milks so cheap?"

Bewareof STDs and HIV. Always use a condom. But you know all this, don't you?

Tell them to meet dvk1951 and I at TQ2 at 2200 on Friday. :o

2200 hrs is too late for a first date. Now, if you said T42 at 1600. How will we know you and are you nice? I am chaperoning.