Low-cost mourning fares announced by domestic carriers, but not available

webfact

Low-cost mourning fares announced by domestic carriers, but not available

By Coconuts Bangkok 

15795803223_19fea2ccbc_z.jpg

Photo: Master Octa/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Domestic airlines have advertised that they are offering deeply discounted tickets to allow mourners to travel to the capital to pay their respects of the late king.

Both Thai AirAsia and Bangkok Airways have publicized the fares. However, when possible buyers went to the sites to book the tickets, they were unable to find any at the low fares promised, some of those fares were as low as THB890 round trip (not including airport service charges) in postings that have been widely circulated over the last few days.

Customers are calling it a "bait and switch," the same kind often used to lure possible buyers to the site, reported Bangkok Post. Thai AirAsia also publicized low fares that were meant to be a public service and show of solidarity and goodwill to the Thai people at a difficult time.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/19/low-cost-mourning-fares-announced-domestic-carriers-not-available

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-10-19

Airlines have been doing the bait and switch since deregulation 40 years ago.  One or two seats on the whole plane with the advertised price.

Sad that they're using such a tragic occasion to take advantage of unsophisticated people who may have never flown before.

This is not too different from their regular promotions. 

When you follow up AirAsia's online promotions, you can almost never find a ticket at the advertised price.  They are buried so deep into the system (which takes into account days/times of travel, how few seats are available at that price, etc.).

On Bangkok Airways, you usually get slammed with unbelievably high "taxes and surcharges" (hardly ever itemized) that can easily double the advertised fare or more.   

Bait-and-switch is alive and well in the local airline industry.  Move along, folks; nothing new here.  

Edited by Fookhaht

In fairness to the Thai airlines, they're just taking a page out of the playbook of the western airlines.  Advertise a seat at the lowest price with only a few available to lure them in, while limiting seats in that bucket to just a few on each flight.  They'll upsell some of the callers to the expensive seats.  Without the bait, they won't even get the call.

It's a crappy practice all over the world.  

Regarding the fees added to the advertised price, another slimy practice the Thais learned from our home country airlines.  I think some countries have forced airlines to advertise an "all-in" price with taxes, surcharges, etc included.  But I've never lived in one of those countries so I can't speak from experience.  

Even some of the online booking sites do the same.  One site advertises a seat for $500 and then adds $400 in taxes and surcharges.  Another site advertises that same seat for $900 including taxes and surcharges.  But at least if they do advertise a seat at a given price, there's generally going to be one available because of the realtime aspect of online booking as opposed to responding to print ads. 

While I despise the practice(s), it's certainly not specific to Thai companies.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well I hope the Government stick to their comments that anyone cheating will be prosecuted. I have always said a trading standards of some sort is required here in Thailand so the consumer actually gets what they have been told.

I once went to the so called Consumer Protection office in Pattaya City Hall with a valid, fully documented claim against a local condo developer. The claim was graciously accepted, with the usual smiles. Those smiles quickly turned to frowns when I had the audacity to ask why nothing had happened after 6 months! I was then transferred to an even bigger office in Bangkok, where, with even more smiles I was told they would have to refer back to Pattaya before they could proceed?!!! I gave up on that 'dead end' and went tp the Pattaya Privincial Court. Another waste of time, because the developer's lawyer used deliberate delaying tactics, by not attending appointments and then arriving (up to 2 hours) late when he chose to appear. The court officials seemed unfazed by this gross disrespect to them and myself. I was left wondering would the Consumer Protection Officer's and the Provincial Court Officials been any different had the condo developer been a non-Thai company?   

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well I hope the Government stick to their comments that anyone cheating will be prosecuted. I have always said a trading standards of some sort is required here in Thailand so the consumer actually gets what they have been told.

This could be easily verified by asking the airlines concerned how many of these discount tickets are available and how many sold?

Any news agency could ask, even Thaivisa, if the Airlines chose not to answer then everyone is free to draw their own conclusion... 

If it is publicity stunt with only a hand full of tickets going to selected people then I would conclude it is very disrespectful.

My neighbour managed to book one of these flights with Bangkok Airways, where the fare is only available by phone.

I don't think I'd trust Air Asia, though. They probably had a few promotional seats left unsold so used this "opportunity" to market them.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

In fairness to the Thai airlines, they're just taking a page out of the playbook of the western airlines.  Advertise a seat at the lowest price with only a few available to lure them in, while limiting seats in that bucket to just a few on each flight.  They'll upsell some of the callers to the expensive seats.  Without the bait, they won't even get the call.

Regarding the fees added to the advertised price, another slimy practice the Thais learned from our home country airlines.  I think some countries have forced airlines to advertise an "all-in" price with taxes, surcharges, etc included.  But I've never lived in one of those countries so I can't speak from experience.  

Even some of the online booking sites do the same.  One site advertises a seat for $500 and then adds $400 in taxes and surcharges.  Another site advertises that same seat for $900 including taxes and surcharges.  But at least if they do advertise a seat at a given price, there's generally going to be one available because of the realtime aspect of online booking as opposed to responding to print ads. 

Whilst I agree that its not just the Thai airlines, it is the timing and the headline of 'low cost mourning fares' which makes it even more despicable in a country that supposedly prides itself with the love and care of the monarchy. There is no excuse for this and is shameful practice whenever but the timing makes it inexcusable. The country is in a period of mourning which is for many people a very sad time. Putting profits above common sense deserves everything it gets. Condemnation at the highest level, I hope.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Funny how western practices are used as excuse when it is to Government airlines advantage yet "Thainess" is used as excuse to have rule 44, lack of free speech etc.

It irks me when airlines advertise a fare that clearly has no bearing on what you pay. And it isn't just a Thai thing.

I don't see why putting "excluding taxes and surcharge" in one point times new roman, in light blue on a dark background, upside down on the next page, gets them off the hook for misleading advertising.

5 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Despicable tactics of trying to take advantage of such a sad situation. These people make vultures look vegetarian

They are no better than the Thai cheaters who charge double for black clothing.  The government should ban official travel on these airlines.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Are you saying Thais need to take lessons from foreigners on cheating, sharp practices etc ?

Apart from anything else this is supposed to be a period of national mourning showing respect for the late king but for some it doesn't stop the money making process.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

10 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

It's a capitalistic country based on sustainable profits...

do you expect quadruple by-pass surgeries at cost?

i just want my fruits and veggies w/o pesticides...

Your analogy is way off. The country on a whole revers and loves its monarchy. When I used the term supposedly was against the company's practice. I hope the people boycott the airline. I still believe that the right thing to do would offer flights at prices that did not make a profit on. I have just given them a great marketing campaign.

Did not a small group of Khao San Road Guesthouse and Hotels pull this exact same PR stunt  two days ago? They are giving special rates to mourners. How many upcountry mourners are going to come to Bangkok and stay in Khao San Road?!  

But it was free news article with a a picture ...  Heh  :thumbsup:

Edited by LomSak27

12 minutes ago, Stewy58 said:

I have just checked Thai airways and two days ago it was $1450 from Ubon Ratchathani to BBK today I checked and it's $2550 for the 24th of this mouth Cheaper to hire a van and driver airways are fill of shit and lies

To each his own but honestly I would not  ride in one of those vans if they were 100% free.    One nerve wracking trip was enough to last me a lifetime.  

16 hours ago, Chicog said:

It irks me when airlines advertise a fare that clearly has no bearing on what you pay. And it isn't just a Thai thing.

I don't see why putting "excluding taxes and surcharge" in one point times new roman, in light blue on a dark background, upside down on the next page, gets them off the hook for misleading advertising.

Been doing it for years all round the world, so no different here.

On 10/19/2016 at 7:21 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

Whilst I agree that its not just the Thai airlines, it is the timing and the headline of 'low cost mourning fares' which makes it even more despicable in a country that supposedly prides itself with the love and care of the monarchy. There is no excuse for this and is shameful practice whenever but the timing makes it inexcusable. The country is in a period of mourning which is for many people a very sad time. Putting profits above common sense deserves everything it gets. Condemnation at the highest level, I hope.

If you think there will be any come back for this false advertising your dreaming, money is God.