3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

RE: AIS Fiber, I subscribed 2 months ago and was getting poor international other than Singapore and couldn't understand why as many said international was very good. I was assigned Private ipv4. I complained right from the start with AIS supposedly checking why. In the end they agreed to cancel with no contract penalty.

Thanks Pib,

Just to add to the confusion , this is the speedtest to LA with DSL reports.

image.png.8694494102f61c106ad89ee1552aaf4b.png

I used to have really good speeds to L.A and I can show from my speedtest history that something happened on the night between the 6th and 7th. Before that I wasn't behind a cgnat, but I'm now.

Just for fun I did a test with Netalyzr and there seems to be something seriously wrong with AIS DNS.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the NOC guy to call me back "real soon now"...

6 minutes ago, Caiman said:

RE: AIS Fiber, I subscribed 2 months ago and was getting poor international other than Singapore and couldn't understand why as many said international was very good. I was assigned Private ipv4. I complained right from the start with AIS supposedly checking why. In the end they agreed to cancel with no contract penalty.

A Private IP just means you are on their CGNAT...the  issue of Private IP is standard for all their plans except their Pro plans where you get a Public IP .   Below from the Note Codes on their webpage talking the IP address.

The customer who subscribe HomeBROADBAND package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode.

18 minutes ago, touch said:

Thanks Pib,

Just to add to the confusion , this is the speedtest to LA with DSL reports.

image.png.8694494102f61c106ad89ee1552aaf4b.png

I used to have really good speeds to L.A and I can show from my speedtest history that something happened on the night between the 6th and 7th. Before that I wasn't behind a cgnat, but I'm now.

Just for fun I did a test with Netalyzr and there seems to be something seriously wrong with AIS DNS.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the NOC guy to call me back "real soon now"...

How do you know you were not behind the CGNAT?   

I just ran a DSLReports to the same LA server you used above....here are my results on my 200/50 plan....DL speed around 5 times faster than yours.  Pulled out my second laptop to run below test because I didn't want an LA entry on my Speed History Report (each report is tied to the end device being used) because on my primary laptop I've only been testing to Singapore on DSLReports...just wanted my history on that laptop to show only Singapore.

Capture.JPG.cd5aa3ac3e2efa95a22e67b960d563c3.JPG

I'm not absolutely sure that I wasn't behind a cgnat, but that is what the guys at Fibre told me on a direct question. Also the ip in my router and the ip shown on What's My Real IP were the same. They're not the same now. 

Still waiting on the NOC guy. Still, if your DSL report speedtest is 4* mine that should be proof enough that there is something wrong with my connection. 

We'll see

On 9/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, Pib said:

TG,

I just tried some speedof.me  (Regular version) and speedof.me/m/ (Lite/Mobile version) on my AIS 200/50 Plan at around 3pm.  Widely varying results between the two testers on my ISP plan.

Did non-VPN tests to Singapore and VPN tests to LA.   Notice how the speedofme Regular version in a non-VPN connection to Singapore hits me with the 20Mb cap like I talked before.  Switch to a VPN connection to LA and I get almost 70Mb DL speed with no capping. 

Also did non-VPN to Singapore and VPN to LA again but this time using the speedofme Lite version.  The Lite version did not hit me with the 20Mb capping like the full version did and I got 104Mb to Signapore (non-VPN).  I then tried the Speedofme Lite with a VPN connection to LA and get around 49Mb DL speed.

For me, the Speedofme full and lite testers give me way too much variation in speed results...and then why is there capping using the full version but not always with the lite version?   Yeap, not a fan of this speed tester.   It just gives me strange results.

Speed of Me to Singapore (non-VPN)...notice the truncating/capping at 20Mb like I talked before

Capturespeedofme_Sing.JPG.a77c328278f9a16616159abf64c33ebc.JPG

Speed of Me LA "via VPN"...notice "no" capping at 20Mb...got a DL speed of almost 70Mb...but UL speed really sucked.

CaptureSpeedofme_LA.JPG.0051e95b747e40e88212eb9baed9d713.JPG

OK, let give Speed of Me "Lite" a try.

Speed of Me Lite to Singapore (non-VPN)...no capping at 20Mb like on a non-VPN connection...got around 104Mb and full UL of 60Mb.  Now why does the Lite version give so much better speed than the regular version?

CaptureSpeedofmeLite_Sing.JPG.57613f2cacc6cac2d6ad48ee4401c7e0.JPG

Speed of Me LA Lite "via VPN" to LA...notice "no" capping at 20Mb...got a DL speed of 49Mb...but UL speed really sucked.   But when using the Regular version I got almost 70Mb

CaptureSpeedofmeLite_LA_IKEV.JPG.59bb9c0948e801fa43547b4c63084e74.JPG

On 9/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, Pib said:

Pib, I re-ran my version of these tests last night about 11 pm via my desktop PC with a direct Ethernet connection (no VPN) to my 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber plan (as opposed to the AC wifi results I posted above):

Netflix Fast to Thailand:

59b51396f3c82_NetflixFasttoThailand.jpg.64b0611eb0b540ac2cfb4eadfb3ed374.jpg

TestMyNet to Singapore:

59b513a47263d_TestMyNettoSingapore.jpg.92e9e22051f4504447fdb294b05bfcaa.jpg

SpeedofMe Full to Singapore:

59b5139d317aa_SpeedofMetoSing1.jpg.ee7a477a36b68c9040682e1fb737b0eb.jpg

59b5139ed0e01_SpeedofMetoSing2.jpg.c573cc4210f74d814f1280928461bdac.jpg

SpeedofMe Mobile to Singapore

59b5139932c43_SpeedofMeMobiletoSing1.jpg.347416ffcf3cc612143b1c2700604901.jpg

59b5139b09df5_SpeedofMeMobiletoSing2.jpg.e5dc03edd6df1c731b70ac4a8567f9c8.jpg

TestMyNet to L.A.

59b513a0dbb03_TestMyNettoLA1.jpg.6f418004e2475dc0c06bd47536e3bd29.jpg

59b513a2be561_TestMyNettoLA2.jpg.d0f01d511380fcb01f9616f752a192a8.jpg

42 minutes ago, touch said:

I'm not absolutely sure that I wasn't behind a cgnat, but that is what the guys at Fibre told me on a direct question. Also the ip in my router and the ip shown on What's My Real IP were the same. They're not the same now. 

Still waiting on the NOC guy. Still, if your DSL report speedtest is 4* mine that should be proof enough that there is something wrong with my connection. 

We'll see

Yea, if the IP address shown in your router and what you got when checking what your real IP was were the same, then that was a "Public" IP address like the folks on Ais Fibre "Pro" plans get.  You were "not" behind the CGNAT.   For the residential plans everyone is on a Private IP address (i.e., behind the CGNAT) with the exception of the folks on the residential Pro plans who get a Public IP address.

But if the IP address in the router reflected one IP address (probably in the 100.xxx series) but when using an IP address checker you got something else like in the 49.xxx or 184.xxx series then that means you are behind the CGNAT.

In this case, the IP address in the router (which you can't change, only view) is the CGNAT IP address and the IP address shown if using an IP address checker is your Private IP.

@TG, 

Those are very good speeds.   

I've been with AIS Fibre now for around 14 months and it's my feeling the international speed "beyond Singapore" has decreased if using "single" thread testers, but the speeds have not decreased if using "multi" thread testers.  Maybe the AIS Fibre network is best suited for multi-threaded operations.

My fastest speed so far to Singapore using Testmy.net in single thread mode was 129.3Mb...that was on 6 Sep/a Wednesday...a few days after upgrading from the 100/10 plan to the 200/50 plan.

Today/10 Sep/a Sunday with probably the greatest number of folks during the week not at work or school (using less internet/bandwidth) and instead at home or at a mall surfing the internet using more bandwidth, my testmy.net speed in "single thread" mode to Singapore is around 71 to 92Mb based on the range of 3 tests I just did at around 6:15pm.   And when testing to Signapore in testmy.net "multithread" mode the speed range was 89 to 108Mb based on 3 tests. Once again that seems to show AIS Fibre works better with multithreading than singlethreading when using speed testers.

P.S. For me, I'm in bed at night at 11pm watching TV.  

Edited by Pib

@TG again,

You mention you are on the 3BB 200/50 plan @ Bt1200/mo.  Now that 3BB sells the 200/100 plan at the same price per month and the 200/50 plan is no longer listed on their website from my quick review, I wonder if  they will upgrade you automatically to the 100Mb upload speed in the near future, you'll have to wait till then end of your current contract, maybe you will have to call them, maybe your area is not 100Mb upload capable....etc....etc....etc.

For me, the upload speed is not very important....my previous 10Mb upload speed on my AIS plan was more than enough.   And now that I have 50Mb upload speed on my AIS plan, which apparently changed to 60Mb on 6 Sep, I probably have more than 10 times the upload speed I need for what little I upload. But I understand for folks who use the Cloud a lot and upload a lot that having a high upload speed is important. The AIS Fibre website site only shows the 50Mb upload speed plan as does my online AIS Fibre account, but on 6 Sep when I got switched from a 49.xxx series IP address to a 184.xxx series IP address my upload speed increased from 50Mb to 60Mb. 

Pib

38 minutes ago, Pib said:

@TG again,

You mention you are on the 3BB 200/50 plan @ Bt1200/mo.  Now that 3BB sells the 200/100 plan at the same price per month and the 200/50 plan is no longer listed on their website from my quick review, I wonder if  they will upgrade you automatically to the 100Mb upload speed in the near future, you'll have to wait till then end of your current contract, maybe you will have to call them, maybe your area is not 100Mb upload capable....etc....etc....etc.

Apparently, as is their custom, 3BB has already done the upgrade to 200/100 Mbps.... but I hadn't noticed it, of course.  Rarely concerned about upload speeds, except if/when I have to do a new cloud backup of my PCs...  But my 3BB speed test does show the higher upload speed, at least in theory.

59b52f487f217_3BBUpgradeto200-100MbpsPlan.jpg.b06b397a64d49493c8bb051c5438fa4e.jpg

Since quite a few people have referenced/use testmy.net due to its default single thread testing method please be aware that testmy.net can also test using multithreading.  And here's how testmy.net explains their multithread test and how it can sometimes work better than the single thread test "for some connections."

https://testmy.net/multithread

Capture.JPG.1b756cb268f3fad89c61b9f3ab9e992b.JPG

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pib, I re-ran my version of these tests last night about 11 pm via my desktop PC with a direct Ethernet connection (no VPN) to my 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber plan (as opposed to the AC wifi results I posted above):

Netflix Fast to Thailand:

59b51396f3c82_NetflixFasttoThailand.jpg.64b0611eb0b540ac2cfb4eadfb3ed374.jpg

TestMyNet to Singapore:

59b513a47263d_TestMyNettoSingapore.jpg.92e9e22051f4504447fdb294b05bfcaa.jpg

SpeedofMe Full to Singapore:

59b5139d317aa_SpeedofMetoSing1.jpg.ee7a477a36b68c9040682e1fb737b0eb.jpg

59b5139ed0e01_SpeedofMetoSing2.jpg.c573cc4210f74d814f1280928461bdac.jpg

SpeedofMe Mobile to Singapore

59b5139932c43_SpeedofMeMobiletoSing1.jpg.347416ffcf3cc612143b1c2700604901.jpg

59b5139b09df5_SpeedofMeMobiletoSing2.jpg.e5dc03edd6df1c731b70ac4a8567f9c8.jpg

TestMyNet to L.A.

59b513a0dbb03_TestMyNettoLA1.jpg.6f418004e2475dc0c06bd47536e3bd29.jpg

59b513a2be561_TestMyNettoLA2.jpg.d0f01d511380fcb01f9616f752a192a8.jpg

A lot of unexplained issues in these speed test results:

Why are the DL speeds for Singapore connections showing up as:

--118 Mbps for TestMyNet

--77 Mbps for SpeedofMe's Lite app

--60-66 Mbps for SpeedofMe's Full app

Why are the UL speeds for Singapore connections showing up as:

--100-101 Mbps for SpeedofMe's Lite app

--18-36 Mbps for SpeedofMe's Full app

Why are the DL speeds that SpeedofMe shows for Singapore (60-77 Mbps) showing up as slower than the TestMyNet's DL speeds (75-76 Mbps) from Los Angeles that is thousands of miles further away?

Nina farm, my true problems started about 2 months ago.  not even the streaming, normal internet use - business type internet use. just leaving me hanging and regular dropping off.  I even got them to check the line, replace the naff router etc.  Got a new hole drilled and cable through the wall.  and as for threatening to take business elsewhere they really don't seem to care.

Exactly the same as me. About 2 months my problems started at home. Before this everything was excellent. The call centre said at around this period they were making "improvements" in our area. Got engineer out, new router but same problem. Slow and intermittent and dropping out. Cancelling next week. No point in complaining anymore. Time to move on. Probably go with AIS.

Yeap,  the variation in speed test results among the different testers, even when a person tries to do the tests in an apples-to-apples manner, can hurt a person's head in wondering "how come"  results vary so much.

Things like time of day/night, work day or weekend/holiday, bandwidth congestion on your end, bandwidth congestion on the test server/far end, just a variety of unknown factors.    

And I don't believe it when some of the testers say "all" of their servers have so much bandwidth capacity that they are never the chokepoint.   I feel that way because I have done tests to all the servers at a specific location using a certain tester such as testing to the five servers/companies usually listed at the Los Angeles location on the Speedtest.net tester (see image below).  And done the tests are fast as I could....would even redo a test if it seem usually low or high.  A person would think the results to the five different servers in LA would be pretty similar, but I've rarely found that to be the case.  

For example I just used Speedtest.net to test to all five servers/companies they had listed for Los Angeles (see image below).  The five servers/companies listed were Atlantic Metro, Time Warner, AT&T, Race Communications, and Speedtest.

Just talking the DL speed results I got it was 28Mb for Atlantic Metro, 31Mb for Time Warner, 27Mb for AT&T, a mere 5Mb for Race Communications, and a super 121Mb for Speedtest.   These tests were done in quick succession around 7:50pm this Sunday night.    Now during the day (not in prime time), the DL speeds will usually be much higher for those first four servers listed...and the speedtest server seems to always have good bandwidth.   

Since all the servers are in LA and assuming AIS Fibre is using the same routing to LA for any server, then I can only assume it's a local bandwidth congestion on the "LA end" for some of those servers even though they are located in the same city/close to each other....and even though they say they have plenty of bandwidth/they will never be the chokepoint.

Yeap, can make your head hurt.

Capture.JPG.81acce81895c8a3cea0a000bd212390a.JPG

I retested all of above servers this morning/11 Sep/arokund 7:45am...almost 12 hours later than last night's test and all servers gave very similar results although the Atlantic Metro server gave 42Mb compared to 28Mb last night.  The Speedtest server gave the fastest response again....115Mb compared to 121Mb last night.   And the Race Communications once again showed a mere 5Mb speed.   

Now since the "order" of the severs listed at any Speedtest.net location move around (up and down the list) and since most people  usually pick the server at the top of the list, if the Speedtest server was at the top of the list a person would  probably just click that one and probably get a good/fast result.  But if the Race Communications happened to be at the top of the list when the person would probably click it and possibly get a bad/slow result.   One of the other servers at the top of the list and get in-the-middle type results.  However, I have tested to the Race Communications server numerous times over the last few months and usually got good/fast results...not no mere 5Mb.

Just wanted to point out again that when testing to a specific city which has multiple servers/companies to select from do not assume each server will give similar results because sometimes a server just don't have good bandwidth/capacity or there is some local bandwidth congestion with that server while another server nearby may not have any speed problems.  

Internet electrons/photons travel all the way across the Pacific Ocean from Bangkok to LA with the same basic routing into LA only to run into bandwidth congestion within the LA area or a particular server that is just slow for whatever reason.  Just keep that in mind went doing speed testing....widely varying results can leave a lot of "how come?" questions in your mind.

9 minutes ago, touch said:

I tried the speedtest with testmy.net again, but used a free VPN extension (Browsec). Just over 10 meg download with the VPN set to Singapore compared to 2 meg without VPN. 

Routing problem? 

Could be a routing issue....or it could just be VPN being able to get around some of the ISP's data shaping (i.e., throttling)

I stumbled upon a review/comparison of Netflix vs IFlix vs HooQ "in the Philippines, repeat, in the Philippines.  The comparison was done from a standpoint of price, usability, catalog, and other factors.   Although the review was done from the prospective of Filipino viewership the review still provides some good insight on the different streaming services.  

Below link is to Part 5 Summary of the review....see Part 1 thru 4 for more info.

https://www.popphiltre.com/blogtv/2017/2/10/the-ultimate-streaming-showdown-pt-5

On 9/10/2017 at 6:45 PM, Pib said:

@TG again,

For me, the upload speed is not very important....my previous 10Mb upload speed on my AIS plan was more than enough.   And now that I have 50Mb upload speed on my AIS plan, which apparently changed to 60Mb on 6 Sep, I probably have more than 10 times the upload speed I need for what little I upload. But I understand for folks who use the Cloud a lot and upload a lot that having a high upload speed is important. The AIS Fibre website site only shows the 50Mb upload speed plan as does my online AIS Fibre account, but on 6 Sep when I got switched from a 49.xxx series IP address to a 184.xxx series IP address my upload speed increased from 50Mb to 60Mb. 

Pib

I just got changed to the 184 series too and i am also getting 10 MB more upload speed than my package.

Ais fibre has seriously started to go downhill since they have switched from 49 ip series to 184 series, i cant reach many websites plus my Speeds to international servers have plunged to single digit Mbs including Singapore servers.

last night i was downloading Iphone's software update from itunes on my mac connected using Lan cable  which uses apple servers, usually i always get full speed, but last night at 1 am which is not  peak time it took me 1 hour for a 3 GB file.

I am on their 200Mb/50 package.

Edited by shariq607
  • Like 1

I'm on the the AIS Fibre 200/50 plan also...also have a 184 series  IP address as shown in the Speedtest.net result below.  On 6 Sep is when AIS switched me from the 49 series to the 184 series....haven't noticed any problems. And below are some Testmy.net and Speedtest.net test results to Singapore as of approx 2:15pm.   Not having any problems reaching any websites that I visit.   

Testmy "Single Thread" Test to Singapore

PrNJUWBle.png

Testmy "Multithread" Test to Singapore

9YNZOvu8W.png

Speedtest.net to Singapore

Capture.JPG.3209542ee683bb45e9b7d8626a830776.JPG

32 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm on the the AIS Fibre 200/50 plan also...also have a 184 series  IP address as shown in the Speedtest.net result below.  On 6 Sep is when AIS switched me from the 49 series to the 184 series....haven't noticed any problems. And below are some Testmy.net and Speedtest.net test results to Singapore as of approx 2:15pm.   Not having any problems reaching any websites that I visit.   

Testmy "Single Thread" Test to Singapore

PrNJUWBle.png

Testmy "Multithread" Test to Singapore

9YNZOvu8W.png

Speedtest.net to Singapore

Capture.JPG.3209542ee683bb45e9b7d8626a830776.JPG

your speeds are really good, i used to get similar results when on their 49 series IP

However now i am getting very low results on my 200/50 package internationally.

This test was on Lan.

stzvYM682.png

your speeds are really good, i used to get similar results when on their 49 series IP   However now i am getting very low results on my 200/50 package internationally.

This test was on Lan.

stzvYM682.png&key=f3b7506555da560eaf14aef85856fbfdb34dbc2e09b20d9fb693f0be331d9566

I personally think something is not right with AIS Fibre international performance, I was a new subscriber a few months back and was very disappointed. Although Singapore was the only exception with good streaming and speeds using other speedtests but testmy.net looked similar to your result. Was I unlucky?, are they now affecting some of their longer term existing customers?, is it a short term issue?, will it happen to all? only time will tell!

3 hours ago, shariq607 said:

your speeds are really good, i used to get similar results when on their 49 series IP

However now i am getting very low results on my 200/50 package internationally.

This test was on Lan.

stzvYM682.png

If you haven't called them already, I would.  Late last week around mid day my "download" speed, domestic or international, dropped to around 7Mb (seven) but my upload speed was still 60Mb.  Now, I figure this kind of problem was a wide area problem and just not me....after waiting around 30 minutes for the problem to possibly clear up I called AIS just to ensure the problem has been reported by someone.   

The rep had me do the typical of turn off and on the AIS provided router....she said leave it off for one minute before turning it back on and during that time she would also reset my account.  But this still didn't help the situation and she said the problem will be passed to technicians along with the usual comment it could take 2 to 3 days to fix.  I have always got that standard 2 to 3 day response when calling AIS about a speed problem/no connection which has only been a few times over the last 14 months.  

Anyway, approx 30 minutes later my speed was back to normal and been fine since.  I figure it was some wide area problem probably being cause by some central server issue....and I figure others had been calling in identifying the problem also.

One other  time about 6 months ago around 8:30pm during a thunderstorm from hell I completely loss the connection....I mean no signal...and you could go into the router to check the incoming optical power/signal level and there was nothing.   I figured some lightning bolt, tree being blown over, truck running into a pole, etc., had killed my connection/cut a trunk line somewhere or maybe just my line only.  I called AIS and to my surprise I got an answer (now you normally just have to leave a voice mail after around 7pm), told them my problem, they said others were calling in, and once again got that possible 2 days to repair answer.  Now, it was stilling rain cats and dogs with lightning pretty much throughout the night/until dawn but a little after midnight the connection came back.

So far, I've got zero complaints with AIS regarding how quickly they have fixed the very few brief outages I've had over 14 months.   Up time has been north of 99.9%....knock on wood (my head).   My connection is fibre all the way to my router versus having vDSL as the last X-meters like seen in highrises....that vDSL portion is another possible point for problems....but I know you have fibre all the way to your router also since you also have the 200/50 plan.  

But hey, I also got  99.9% uptime and quick fixes when I was on a True DOCSIS (cable) plan, but True's international speed was kinda slow and their high-speed plan pricing at the time was not competitive with AIS and 3BB so I switched to AIS Fibre.  But True's internet plan pricing has now got competitive with AIS and 3BB but I don't think their international speed has improved much based on posts I've read and looking at the Testmy.net database where you can compare the different Thai ISP speeds to a degree.

At 7:15pm Bangkok time here's my speed to Singapore using testmy.net single thread connection.

pUKrifHyN.png

My international speed is now back as it was before. Download from LA 32.3 . I have been talking with various CSR and NOC at AIS since I started having problems when they put me on the new IP address.

A couple of minutes ago the internet were practically unusable, nothing was loading and even Youtube was unresponsive.

I had been checking the DNS servers, because the DNS from AIS seem to have problem and noticed the IP address in the router 184.82.xxx.xxx and then checked the real IP on Whats my real IP and it's the same. Seems like they've disabled the CGNAT.

Anyway, I'm happy again

image.png.84788a1baf5261dd282a4d94c5d5d001.png

• Like 1

My AIS Fibre router shows the CGNAT 100 Series IP address in the router firmware menu and the 184 series when checking with whatismyipaddress.    No change....still setup as before...behind a CGNAT. 

And a testmy.net download test to LA and a speedtest.net test to LA just a few minutes ago around 2:50pm Thailand time gave me below which is the normal for me the best I can remember as I don't test to LA a lot.

gQqVH4wGi.png

6639299932.png

Edit: a let me add a testmy.net download test to Singapore done at around 2:57pm.

NpOIJ7G0V.png

Take all speed test results with a big grain of salt....they change from minutes (sometimes drastically)....and your "local area" connection can be a factor also.  I'm in western Bangkok on AIS Fibre 200/50.

Edited by Pib

Ok it seems like they've fixed it now,

It has been running between 20 and 34 mbit download for a couple of hours now.

My IP is 184 xxxx both in the router and on http://www.whatsmyrealip.com/. I can see from a tracert to UC Berkley that they've changed the route and that there are less hops. If that has anything to do with me getting the speed back , I don't know.

I've always had around 48-53 to Singapore on my 50/10 package, that has not been a problem. The problem has been the speed to other international sites.

Los Angeles 33.4

Singapore 52image.png.cd76f1f203e47e9a12af040f98dd644d.png

image.png

Edited by touch
  • Like 1