3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

AIS Fibre must be adjusting/tinkering with their system again.  My 200/50 plan that  actually gave me 200/60 domestic speed (note the extra 10Mb or 20% more on the upload side) ever since I had it beginning Sep 17 is as of today operating at 200/50.   And AIS Fibre knew about the extra upload speed because in some of my earlier calls to them over the recent months regarding the lower than normal international speed problem which got fixed mid Nov tech support said yes the upload is set to actually run around 60Mb on the 200/50 plan.   Well, apparently now more.   

Before when it was operating at 200/60 my local speed tests would give me around 205/62Mb; now that it's operating as 200/50 my speed tests give me around 212/53Mb.

6834507502.png

Also checked my international speed on Testmy.net and Speedtest.net to see if there were any change there on the download side and I'm still good...international speed still very good.    The lowering of the upload speed to what it's advertised/sold at is OK with me as I don't upload much of anything....I'm more interested in the download speed.   Yeap, they appear to be tinkering with their system again....hope the tinkering don't break something.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/22/2017 at 3:28 PM, Pib said:

Good luck in your discussions.  Where you said 7 MBs (as in Mega Bytes) did you really mean 7 Mbs (as in Mega bits)?  If you did mean 7 MBs which is 56Mbs, then 56Mbs  is still good international  speed to the US/EU say for a 100Mb plan....not sure what you have.  I'm on a 200/50 plan...fibre optics connection all the way to my router....no VDSL connection for the final X-meters.

But I expect you meant 7 Mbs which is definitely not good to the US/EU.   During my slowest period with AIS Fibre in late Sep/early Oct I was only getting around 10Mb to the US west coast where before I got around 100Mb or more when using Speedtest.net or Nperf.com on my 200Mb plan.   Then as I continued to complain it got a somewhat faster, up to around 50Mb, but not even close to what it use to be before late Sep which was in the 100Mb and higher range.   And as mentioned earlier, my testmy.net single thread speeds had dropped way drown to around 25Mb to Singapore where I use to get over 100Mb single thread speed to Singapore. 

Then on 16 Nov like someone flipped a light switch, my international speeds magically came back to what I had been use to with AIS Fibre....almost two months of slow international speeds was fixed.  And it had been about a week since my last bitch to the AIS Fibre Call Center.  Just the day before/15 Nov the international speeds were still not good.   Don't know what AIS got fixed at their central servers or maybe in my local area....just glad it got fixed.

Hopefully your international speed will magically get better soon.  I"m now happy with AIS Fibre again...I hope they keep it that way with no more of these almost 2 months long periods of reduced/slow international speed after I had been use to 15 months of good international speed.  But only time will tell....keeping my fingers crossed.   

And I too have the option to quickly revert to a True...specifically True high speed DOCSIS/cable....their cable line is still installed in my home and connected to their trunk line....just bring over a cable router, activate my account on their servers, and I could be back online with them quick....no time consuming cable run to do.  Their 200/50 plan which comes with basic 97 channels IPTV and a 4Mb speed unlimited use SIM costs Bt1,399/mo.    But as mentioned I happy again with AIS Fibre with fingers staying crossed.

To SF at 2:46pm Thailand time...multi-thread IPv4 test on my 200/50 plan

6815063485.png

To SF at 2:50pm Thailand time...single thread IPv4 test

EcC9MnfLT.png

To SF at 3pm Thailand time....multi-thread IPv6 test

202156104-4U4PhymV.png

To Singapore 3:10pm Thailand time....single thread IPv4 test

WSecgK9pt.png

it was Mega bits I was stating, but not very clearly.  Now I am training AIS to obey the clock.  If you send a technician to determine line is unbroken and domestic speed is indeed as stated which it is then turn up at the time you state. don't turn up 30 minutes - 1hour later and phone me to ask if I have an appointment.  Had, k

On this fine Sunday at around 3:50pm, here's how my AIS Fibre 200/50 plan is doing with some Testmy.net single thread tests. Moving along extremely well today especially to Singapore.  Tests done with home Wifi connection...might have been a little better on an ethernet connection.   Your results may (will) vary.

New record for me to Singapore...usually I get around 120-170Mb to Singapore....and today I was getting 140-170Mb except this one test that set a new record for me.

OLaNqXr8j.png

To San Francisco

DCj2Pezag.png

To London

3XTEwfCjU.png

I had a technician on sunday, just before they arrived my internet was exceptional, very similar to what you have there, I was about 150 download for Singapore.

Of course the meeting resulted in what I knew already which is to speak to engineer if it is internaitonal connections I am interested in>

21 hours ago, Pib said:

On this fine Sunday at around 3:50pm, here's how my AIS Fibre 200/50 plan is doing with some Testmy.net single thread tests. Moving along extremely well today especially to Singapore.  Tests done with home Wifi connection...might have been a little better on an ethernet connection.   Your results may (will) vary.

My guess is that for nearly everyone else their results will vary.  There are so many factors involved, and I think your results have always been exceptional.  I run a non-standard set-up, so using single thread tests isn't effective for me, but I can rarely get over 50Mb to SG on a single thread, and this is on my newly upgraded (for 2 months only - they just sent me an SMS saying from 2-Dec until 31-Jan would upgrade) 200/50 package.

That said, with multi-thread application like usenet my connection maxes out and I can get around 35MBs out of my ~300Mbs combined connections.  Plenty fast for most use-cases.

5 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

... and this is on my newly upgraded (for 2 months only - they just sent me an SMS saying from 2-Dec until 31-Jan would upgrade) 200/50 package.

Gosh, you get a 2 month upgrade from 100Mb to 200Mb....and I've seen posts from two other folks talking 2 month upgrade of their 50Mb plan to 100Mb thru 31 Jan.   AIS is giving you guys an early Christmas present.

But us folks already on a 200Mb plan just get a lump of coal in our Christmas stocking I guess. :tongue:

Gosh, you get a 2 month upgrade from 100Mb to 200Mb....and I've seen posts from two other folks talking 2 month upgrade of their 50Mb plan to 100Mb thru 31 Jan.   AIS is giving you guys an early Christmas present.

But us folks already on a 200Mb plan just get a lump of coal in our Christmas stocking I guess. :tongue:

I just found out about that two month free upgrade. I wondered why my 50/20 connection was suddenly faster than what my WiFi router can deliver.

Hope the two month 50-to-100Mb AIS Fibre upgrade is going well for those folks that got it.   My AIS Fibre 200/50Mb plan is still going good after almost a two month period of experiencing slower international speeds.  This morning I did several Testmy.net single thread tests to Singapore...results ranged from 135-185Mb.   Test done on my home Wifi connection.

Below is the Test in Progress (TiP) snapshot of the 185Mb result which was a download test of 136MB in size.  Note how for approx 80% of the test the speed was "above" the 200Mb  speed.....reaching up to 225Mb.   

The TiP gives a person a good indication of how well their connection is working like how fast it takes to accelerate to full speed, how steady the speed remains after reaching full speed, etc. 

The reason the overall speed result was not over 200Mb but instead the 185Mb result is because during the first 20% of the test the speed is still accelerating/building-up....kinda like a vehicle accelerating from stop to full speed. It takes approx 20MB of the 136MB in size test to reach the 200Mb speed point and then for the remaining 80% of the test oscillate mostly above 200Mb speed.   

Hope this good speed holds...hope The Grinch don't steal it. 

Capture.JPG.f389ab01a6a0c48fdf19228cd24a971b.JPG

Hope the two month 50-to-100Mb AIS Fibre upgrade is going well for those folks that got it. 

It's going swimmingly and is making me a big fan of AIS. Video streaming with the 100/40 trial seems noticeably better than with the 50/20 package even though I'm not sure why that should be, as even 50 Mbps should be about 10 times faster than what is needed for HD video.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be of interest to some - AIS are now offering Public IPv4 IP addresses as an add-on purchase for some fiber packages (not sure if all or some).  The cost is 200THB per month extra, which is a lot cheaper than their "business" packages.  Might be worthwhile if you need to get past their CGNAT for things like webcams, torrents, NAS drives and the like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 4:04 PM, Pib said:

New record for me to Singapore...usually I get around 120-170Mb to Singapore....and today I was getting 140-170Mb except this one test that set a new record for me.

OLaNqXr8j.png

To San Francisco

DCj2Pezag.png

To London

3XTEwfCjU.png

Above were some Sunday morning single thread tests in early Dec 17.

Below are some Sunday morning single thread tests in early Jan 18/today/7Jan18.  Done with Wifi connection a few meters from the router.  AIS Fibre 200/50 plan.   Note: my first test to Singapore to go over 200Mb...a new record for me....knock on wood (my head) I hope this speed hangs in there.   Maybe the firmware update I did last night to my Asus 86U router helped a little to squeak out a few more Mb's in speed....or it's just AIS Fibre running really good right now at least on my fibre line (probably the latter).  Your results may (will) vary.

To Singapore

j5e38B4V0.png

To San Francisco

qwkYix7oA.png

To London

iAFEVreNS.png

I was wondering if that above 200Mb single thread speed to Singapore yesterday/Sunday was a fluke...nope, did a few more single thread tests to Singapore this morning/Monday....as you will see below I got as high as 205.4Mb....a little higher than yesterday.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan in Bangkok.   I'll take this speed while it lasts. 

I'm thinking my speed has increased a few percent little since a new firmware update came out a day or two ago for my Asus router.  My Asus router servers as my primarily router which takes the fibre signal from the AIS-provided router which is set to bridge mode.

AIS Fibre has generally been good to me speedwise for the last 18 months I've been with them...but there was a 2 month period from late Sep to mid Nov 17 that their international speed dropped way off for me...then mid Nov it magically got back to the international speeds I had been use to.  Your results may (will) vary.   

Monday morning Bangkok Time.

KEEP_TestMyNet205.4Mb_8Jan18.JPG.9e699cb2d0cacec65b136b284e5a7349.JPG

KEEP...TestMyNet200.9Mb_8Jan18.JPG.e4f392defcffe064e6f1331830d4be9c.JPG

Here is my Speedtest to London with AIS fibre and it never gets better than this.5a532aecc7277_SpeedtesttoLondon.JPG.201c83803407ea863d2d18a5b58d71aa.JPG

I have had nothing but problems since they upgraded me to 100Mbps/50. An upgrade I never requested or wanted.

Since December 12th I have complained daily about streaming continually buffering since their upgrade. All I ever get is they are sorry and understand my problem.

No engineer has visited my house to investigate the problem. This is their last response to me on December 31st.

Thank you for your information.  I will follow the issues up for you and keep you informed.  Once again sorry for an inconveniences has been caused to you.

Best regards,

Kathy

AIS Call Center

So after 2 years and 5 months it's finally bye bye AIS and I'm going to go with 3BB

PIb on your speedtests why is your host unknown, whereas on mine it says AIS fibre?

5 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

PIb on your speedtests why is your host unknown, whereas on mine it says AIS fibre?

It's because I have IPv6 activated on my AIS Fibre account and it confuses TestmyNet when trying to detect my specifics.  

Since IPv6 takes priority/preference over IPv4 by default it causes detection issues with TestmyNet.  And because of that TestmyNet  does not  read my country, city, or ISP...it just says Unknown and it doesn't read my IP address correctly either...it reads an IPv4 address in the 251 series although my IPv4 address is in the 184 series.  But if i deactivate IPv6 on my computer and run the test the speed results are the same and it properly detects my country/city/ISP/IPv4 address.

I had several emails back and forth with the TestmyNet guru/webmaster in late Nov 17 and he says it's an IPv6 issue with TestMyNet in that it can't properly detect my IPv4 info.   Just to partially quote one of his replies he said:

The detection portion is a separate issue.  I think it has to do with ipv6.  

When I run a test it actually being run over an IPv4 connection but the IPv6 address also knocking on TestMyNet door at the same time confuses TestmyNet in being able to properly detect my location/IP address.  Kinda like how having IPv4 and IPv6 capability can confuse some live steaming sites since they are not IPv6 capable.   He said it's something he's working on....just an IPv6 compatibility issue with TestmyNet.

elfpataya,

Running a test to Singapore and London at around 8:25pm, below is what I get.  As you see my Singapore speed is still smoking over 200Mb but to London it's rolled way off to around 8Mb.  But I bet tomorrow during the day my speed to the UK will be 5 to 10 times faster....a time of day/night thing on my connection.   And don't blame you for planning to switch from AIS to 3BB based on your AIS Fibre experience....I would do the same.  But knock on wood (my head) except for that almost two month period from late Sep to mid Nov 17 where my international speed was not up to what it had been before, but magically fixed itself in mid Nov, my experience and speed with AIS Fibre has been very good.  Hoping it stays that way....but only time will tell.

Singapore

AgjK1n9o3.png

London

CrhHvFWqi.png

And like I said in my above post about the speed to London probably being 5 to 10 times higher during the day, it's now 6:26am on this Tuesday morning and below is my single thread speed....almost 9 times higher during the early morning compared to last night/9 hours earlier during 6pm to midnight prime time.

Tuesday/6:26am Bangkok time

3EeOIsxaF.png

I think the peering from Thailand to USA / Europe just sucks in general, and the providers do of course want to keep the costs low.

I didn't do this by myself yet, but probably it makes sense to look for a vpn provider that offers a server in Singapore and has a good peering to USA / Europe, and then maybe just get a router which can run a vpn client to make the handling more easy.

Quite amazing really after a month of speedtest to the UK with AIS fibre in the kbps range, yesterday everything is working fine.

All streaming wonderful with my IPTV service and Real Debrid. Speedtest just now showed this to London.

Capture.JPG.abe7981d61c77d72e0fc8bb377784cad.JPG

The unfortunate thing is that on Monday I signed the contract with 3BB, I'm still awaiting installation.

So it's still Bye Bye AIS.

Word has it that AIS forwarded over a record of your customer complaints to 3BB, and after further review 3BB has now decided not to take you as a customer (but they probably won't tell you).  So, if the 3BB installers don't show-up just remember I gave you a heads-up.    :tongue: 

And you may remember back in the late Sep to mid Nov 17 time frame when my international speed with AIS Fibre went south but magically returned to normal one morning in mid Nov.  Well, if I had tried to switch to 3BB they would have refused me also after they got the mile high record of my complaint calls to AIS during that late Sep to mid Nov period.  :tongue:

But seriously, based on the problems you've had with AIS Fibre I don't blame you for switching.   Over the last 9 years I've had TOT ADSL, True DOCSIS, and now AIS Fibre here in my western Bangkok moobaan.    There have been times with each ISP due to slow international speed that I wanted to switch ISPs but didn't usually because I had a very limited choice of ISPs to choose from.

Initially, TOT ADSL was the only ISP available to my moobaan and I just had to put up with their domestic and international slow speed.  Then True DOCSIS/cable arrived, I immediately switched to True, got great up-time/reliability, but the international speed was not that great (just kinda OK at best) but still a lot better than TOT ADSL.   Then AIS Fibre arrived my moobaan mid 2016 and I immediately switched and the international speed has been very good except during a 7 week period from late Sep to mid Nov 17...and I really don't think my 7 weeks of complaining had anything to do with the slow international speed finally getting fixed. 

For me to switch back to True DOCSIS or TOT ADSL (yes TOT still only offers ADSL up to 20Mb in my moobaan...still no fiber), would be an automatic step-down in speed.  Now, if True international speed has improved greatly since mid 2016 then going back to DOCSIS/cable would be an option....but then I would lose the AIS Fibre IPTV capability to include their premium TV/movie plans. 

I lean more towards a local connection issue where AIS Fibre may have had to reroute there local trunk lines as the electric company installed some new  electrical poles/wiring for a couple kilometers in my immediate area and once that electrical upgrade was finished and AIS Fibre able to go back to normal routing my problem was fixed.  A problem that surely other AIS customers in my area must have had, but with very few farangs who live in my area which would likely be using AIS Fibre and accessing international websites regularly I doubt many Thai customers even noticed the international speed slowdown or complained.  

Yea, preaching to choir when I say a person may not have many choice in what ISP they have available to them.  But so far except for that late Sep to mid Nov 17 period, the 18 months I've now been with AIS Fibre have been very reliable and speedy for international and domestics connections.   Knock on wood (my head) I hope it stays that way. 

And I wish 3BB and TOT would put fiber optics in my Bangkok moobaan but for some reason they haven't...purely a business decision I'm sure....probably figure they would pick up many customers due to AIS Fibre and True DOCSIS already being hear.  Plus, TOT has a bad reputation in my moobaan from their years of poor/slow TOT ADSL service and just keeping the landlines working properly.

Hope 3BB works good for you.  Cheers.  

Just FYI.

AIS Fibre 200Mb plan...single thread test to Singapore at 6:37pm Bangkok time...during the 6pm to midnight prime time window

5a5de4e988f8b_KEEP_TestmyNet212.8Mb16Jan18.JPG.84db0c4e8c3c04b0beeefc08e680683d.JPG

To San Francisco a few minutes later...still doing good.

DKcmJ6Vxn.png

However, to London to a few minutes later it's in the slow lane.  But check during the daytime an it will probably be at leat 5 times faster based on recent testing.

GVtymb3jL.png

AIS Fibre 200 in the moring....around 9:20am

Singapore

oXyZJctHq.png

San Francisco

3OC2FiSjl.png

Notice below speed to London is around 9 times higher than my test last night at around 6:45pm.  During Thailand prime time, approx the 6 pm to midnight time frame, the speed to London usually rolls way off on my AIS Fibre connection, but jumps way back up outside of prime time....jumps up 5 to 10 times faster than during prime time.

SyCdIhEj1.png

And just a note regarding why "above" tests show Host as Unknown that because I have IPv6 activated on my AIS Fibre account (i.e., have both IPv4 and IPv6 capability) but Testmy.net has a problem in identifying the location & ISP of a tester when both an IPv6 and IPv4 addresses/connections is knocking on it's door.  Testmy.net still runs the test via an IPv4 connection, but the IPv6 address from the tester confuses its ability to detect location/ISP of the tester.   It's a problem with Testmy.net because it's not IPv6 capable yet per some emails from its webmaster when I asked the questions.   Now "below" you do see AIS (Advanced Wireless) listed as the ISP because I turned off IPv6 in Windows just to run the test to Singapore again.

A5snN9HRh.png

@elfpattaya and @jackdd

Curiosity question:  Does your 3BB or True connection have IPv6 connectivity.  You can test to see at either of these two IPv6 test webpages.   You do not need IPv6 capability to reach, run the test at these pages.

http://test-ipv6.com/

http://ipv6-test.com/

Below is the type of result you get from the first webpage listed above...notice it shows both my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses....and says I'm go-to-go for IPv6 connectivity with a 10 out of 10 score.  

The second webpage give more details on IPv6 capability....gives me a 19 out 20 score...didn't get a 20 out 20 score because of something called "No Reverse DNS Record" but that's totally controlled by the ISP and not anything I can do about it.  Maybe that's the reason Testmy.net has an issue in detecting AIS as my ISP.  Partial quote of that test info also shown below but other speed testing sites don't have a problem in identifying AIS Fibre as my ISP when I run tests...yeap, just a Testmy.net IPv6 address detection issue but doesn't affect the ability to run speed tests.

Capture.JPG.d7a30168ae916b18c5c79ea3dd502d57.JPG

Capture.JPG.f57778c9ed0500fe7c44425694487af1.JPG

8 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I have now successfully transferred my allegiance to 3BB from AIS. 150/50 for 900 Baht per month.

Speedtest to London. A big improvement on my 322kbs/sec, and also no buffering on my UK IPTV service.

5a5e3d3a6eb0e_Speedtest..JPG.552507dfdfc009337226d00e0219e3ae.JPG

Wishing you many years of good and fast service from 3BB as I know it didn't work out that way for you with AIS.   Must have just been a "your location thing" where AIS just had continuing problems for your area/too many subscribers in your area/not enough local bandwidth/lord knows what.   

No ipv6 for True

I had a look at the router settings, to see if i maybe can enable it. I got the Huawei HG8247H from them. The WAN configuration seems to be locked down, the only fields showing up there are username and password, nothing else,

Archived