3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

2 hours ago, ck98 said:

Signed up for True FTTX 300 / 70 last week , however the router they provided only has 100meg ports :saai:

I am able to max out 100/80 though for domestic speed tests, still doing international tests

I initially tried to get AIS but they're not available in my building, true was the easiest. 

6018342877.png  (over wifi)

That's almost unbelievable in only having 100Mb ports for a 300Mb plan.  You sure?  

Maybe it's "your computer" that only has 100Mb ports?....is the chokepoint.   

What is the complete model number of the router they gave  you?

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

That's almost unbelievable in only having 100Mb ports for a 300Mb plan.  You sure?  

What is the complete model number of the router they gave  you?

All my equipment plugged in auto negos to 100M , unless theres some sort of negotiation issue between switches/ap's and this router its 100meg.

I'll find out.

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

Looks like the guy at below weblink got a router with 1000Mb/gigabit ports....otherwise he wouldm't be pulling over 300/70Mb speeds on this True 300/70 plan.

https://www.overclockzone.com/forums/showthread.php/3435406-ทดสอบความเร็ว-TRUE-FIBER-300-70-ครับ-ลองเข้ามาดู

Capture.JPG

Some google searching shows its GE but none of my equipment negos to that.. HG8247H

Going to try and force it.

Plugged my mac directly in and nego'd to 100meeg, i forced to 1000/fd and got..

6018702210.png

on wifi ap:

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Current message level: 0x00000000 (0)
    Link detected: yes

now to try and force gig

Edited by ck98

Yeap, the HG8247H has 1,000Mb/gigabit ports according to some specs I looked up.

Glad you are now getting full 300/70Mb speed.   

Do me a favor.   Use the  Testmy.net speed tester, select their Singapore server, and post the results.   Ditto to Los Angeles.  Would be most appreciated.

Edited by Pib

Tested 3BB - AIS in Phuket, same Location:

Average Speedtest September-October 2016 (testmy.net)

AIS FibrePro (Mbps)

3BB FTTx (Mbps) 

3BB ADSL (Mbps) 

Down

Up

Down

Up

Down

Up

Domestic

Singapore

LA

Frankfurt

London

Speedtest > Price/Performance

Provider

Packages

THB/mt

Performance

Service

AIS FibrePro

30/10

3BB FTTx

100/10

3BB ADSL

20/4

• Like 1

@drake:  You got 25Mbps and 21Mbps upload speed on 3BB FTTx with an advertised upload speed of 10Mbps?  That's pretty remarkable!  I've heard of bursting on DOCSIS, but didn't know of any such mechanism with fibre.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

@drake:  You got 25Mbps and 21Mbps upload speed on 3BB FTTx with an advertised upload speed of 10Mbps?  That's pretty remarkable!  I've heard of bursting on DOCSIS, but didn't know of any such mechanism with fibre.

He probably got 200/50 from 3bb if he is paying 1200 baht + vat.

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

As far as I know "bursting" only works on download.

4 hours ago, drake said:

Tested 3BB - AIS in Phuket, same Location:

Average Speedtest September-October 2016 (testmy.net)

AIS FibrePro (Mbps)

3BB FTTx (Mbps) 

3BB ADSL (Mbps) 

Down

Up

Down

Up

Down

Up

Domestic

Singapore

LA

Frankfurt

London

Speedtest > Price/Performance

Provider

Packages

THB/mt

Performance

Service

AIS FibrePro

30/10

3BB FTTx

100/10

3BB ADSL

20/4

Note how the 3BB fiber 100Mb plan is over 3 times faster "advertised" domestic speed wise in comparison to the AIS fiber 30Mb plan, but the 3BB international speeds were nowhere close to being 3 times faster than the AIS international speeds.  

I saw this same thing when I was still on the True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb plan and comparing international speeds to other TV posters who had the True DOCSIS/cable 30Mb....in most cases my 15Mb was just as fast, sometimes faster, in the international speed comparison.

Piece of cake to provide that local XXX Mb speed connection, but how well a plan does in international speed can make all the difference in now satisfied a customer will be if most to all of their surfing/streaming/etc is to international sites.   Preaching to the choir I'm sure.

Well, AIS has apparently updated their plans.  They now have a 75Mb plan...and the 200Mb plans is gone.  

And with the new 75Mb plan I notice a note that says:  ***Package 75 Mbps, The speed will depend on cable line provided from landlord.   I expect this applies to those cases where a VDSL cable run would be required from the ground floor fiber termination point up the condo on the X-floor.  Since VDSL pretty much tops out around 80Mb with a good line, getting the 75Mb speed on phone/DSL cable run might be touch and go.  But if the landlord will run/provides a fiber cable from the ground floor to the condo then pretty much any speed would be a piece of cake.

I guess competition and customers desires are driving the changes...that's a good thing.   But I'm surprised they are not offering an PowerHome plan faster than 100Mb now....that is, the 200Mb plan is not listed....but maybe it's still available.  But they still offer the 1000Mb PowerPro plan.

Me thinks AIS is going to need to offer some plans between 100Mb and 1000Mb, instead of stopping at 100Mb and then jumping all the way to 1000Mb.    Maybe the 200Mb plan will reappear in the near future.   At one time the 100Mb plan disappeared for a month or so, and then reappeared probably due to popular demand.,..heck, when I was still on their 50Mb plan I called them about it....said I wanted a 100Mb plan they use to have....didn't want to pay the price of a 200Mb plan....a few weeks later the 100Mb reappeared.   Time will tell.

PowerHome Plans

CapturePowerHome.JPG

PowerPro Plans

CapturePowerPro.JPG

Edited by Pib

Back at my weekend property in the village on TOT Winet 10/1 and I'm getting much better results than my True 30/3 Fiber. Just goes to show Bigger numbers don't always correspond to better international speeds well not in my case.

1486131157680.jpg.c565f0b354dfdd3ac8a5fe1486131171768.jpg.c25e9385e9793288031a69

Since the PowerHome 200Mb plan is no longer advertised I wondered if it still might be available to me since I'm a current customer on the PowerHome 100Mb.   To check that availability a person just needs to check their online AIS Fibre account and it will tell you what plans you can upgrade to which is basically available  "higher speed/priced" plans.    I just checked my account and the PowerHome 200Mb plan is no longer shown as an upgrade/up-speed option for me....it was before.   See snapshot below.....the selection with the dot in the circle is my current plan....my current 100Mb plan.

Now before the PowerHome 200Mb plan "was" reflected as an upgrade option for me; now it no longer is which means the 200Mb plan is probably no longer available to new or current customers and that's why it not advertised now.   I say "probably" because maybe if you call them and specifically ask for it maybe they will still provide it....but I doubt it based on my experience a few months ago when wanting to upgrade from my 50Mb plan to their 100Mb, but I couldn't even by bending their ear at their call center number several times.

I wanted to do this 50 to 100Mb upgrade shortly after their new 200Mb plan came out (which is now gone) but they got rid of their 100Mb plan at the same time.  So, with the 100Mb plan gone, the Call Center reps during several different calls simply would not upgrade me to 100Mb....said I had to go to the 200Mb plan or a couple of  PowerPro plans available to me.   And my AIS online account did offer the 100Mb option either.  Then a month or so later the 100Mb came back by popular demand I guess....I called them back and they upgraded me no problem to the 100Mb plan....it was also reflected an an upgrade option on my online AIS account.  

Yeap, plans sure are coming and going....and plan prices changing frequently at AIS and other ISPs....all a good thing since the great majority of the changes seem to be more plans....and faster plans at lower cost.   But I kinda wish they hadn't got rid of the PowerHome 200Mb plan.   As I mentioned earlier, AIS has a speed gap between 100 and 1000Mb and I'm pretty sure a lot of people want a 200Mb or little higher  plan, but are just don't need, nor are willing to pay for, a 1000Mb plan.   I bet within a few months AIS offers some plans between 100 and 1000Mb....time will tell.

Capture.JPG

Doesn't bother me a bit, Pib!

I'm right there and ready to go for AIS's PowerPro 1000/200 package at nearly 20,000 baht (!!!!) per month, if and when it's necessary. :tongue:

BTW, wonder who's writing AIS's English language web copy, as in...

PS1209.jpg

Huh?????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Yea, I hear you.   I may need to go to the AIS 1000Mb high price baht plan soon since I'm only getting over 90Mb to Singapore and over 50Mb to Los Angeles during prime time with my current 100Mb AIS plan.  :tongue:

Run Saturday night around 8:30pm on Testmy.net

Capture.JPG

Or if preferring Speedtest.net.   

6024865252.png

6024885071.png

Edited by Pib

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Doesn't bother me a bit, Pib!

I'm right there and ready to go for AIS's PowerPro 1000/200 package at nearly 20,000 baht (!!!!) per month, if and when it's necessary. :tongue:

BTW, wonder who's writing AIS's English language web copy, as in...

PS1209.jpg

Huh?????

Expect they are letting Google Translate perform that English language magic.  Still better than the English (or lack of) we see on many Thai ISP's websites...True for one.  True use to have some pretty good English webpages....but they have really went downhill over the last few years with their English.  

Edited by Pib

3bb 100mbps fiber line getting ~9-13 mbps standard and ~13-34 mbps on singapore VPN. Fairly standard for the line I suppose? I am getting between 350 kbps to 5 mbps in actual DL speeds which is far better than the sinet connection I was on previously.

7 minutes ago, markcm19 said:

3bb 100mbps fiber line getting ~9-13 mbps standard and ~13-34 mbps on singapore VPN. Fairly standard for the line I suppose? I am getting between 350 kbps to 5 mbps in actual DL speeds which is far better than the sinet connection I was on previously.

I would say you have a big problem with your line.  Those speeds are slow for a  100Mbps fiber line.  

For example in this earlier post TallGuyJohninBKK is getting much faster speeds with and without VPN although he is on a 200Mbps 3BB fiber plan.

Additionally, I just looked at the testmy.net database for recent 3BB tests to Singapore.  Below are snapshot of some....these would be non-VPN connections as I don't think VPN connections appear on the database.   The tests highlighted in pink means above 50Mb test results and must be 3BB folks on 100Mb or higher speed plans like the 200Mb plan.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, markcm19 said:

Via 2.4 ghz wifi right?

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

Did anyone see new TOT Fiber2u packages?

50/20 mbps = 700

100/20 = 800

150/30 = 990

200/80 = 1200 thb

The last time TOT Fibre 2u re-aligned their speed/pricing my 15/1 was field-upgraded to 30/3 within a month without me having to ask (or re-commit to another 1-2 year contract they were asking).

So I wonder if they'll automatically upgrade me to 100/x (x being not 20) this time without me having to re-commit?

/Yes, I have a problem making commitments. Don't judge me.

15 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The last time TOT Fibre 2u re-aligned their speed/pricing my 15/1 was field-upgraded to 30/3 within a month without me having to ask (or re-commit to another 1-2 year contract they were asking).

So I wonder if they'll automatically upgrade me to 100/x (x being not 20) this time without me having to re-commit?

/Yes, I have a problem making commitments. Don't judge me.

I doubt they will do it. These are new packages. You should choose one of those and let them change your package so they can adjust billing too.

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

I doubt they will do it. These are new packages.

My 15/1 was a 3-year old package for 790฿.  While I debated internally about upgrading to their "Strong" 30/15 packages they quietly upgraded me to a "Smile TV" 30/3 (according to the bill), at the same price I was already paying outside of contract.

So I'm hopeful they'll do the same again, but... hmm.  I see they still have the Strong Plus (TOT iptv) and Strong packages listed, along with the price-competing Extreme Fiber packages.  No, no, this isn't confusing at all.     

Seems the ISPs are starting to advertise more internet "with IPTV" and internet "without IPTV"....at different internet speeds and different prices of course.   So, whether they automatically upgrade you or not may depend on whether you are on a plan that does or does not have IPTV included.  

With AIS Fibre recent new promotions they seem to be doing more differentiation between their plans with and without IPTV.   Maybe that's because over the coming years the ISP will be getting more into paid video add-on IPTV packages like the HBO Go add-on just for example.

Getting to be so many choices if you live where fiber plans are available.   

26 minutes ago, markcm19 said:

Directly connected to their modem with an Ethernet cable

Can you turn off / turn on your router modem and try tests again?

Perhaps 3BB sets a lower bw ratio for 100Mbps fttx fiber users? 200/50 users seems to be getting pretty good results.

2 hours ago, markcm19 said:

Directly connected to their modem with an Ethernet cable

You just have a big problem....and something in my gut tells me it "not" 3BB but something with your setup.   But I recommend you call 3BB to come visit your residence to at least confirm it's not the 3BB line.   They can do that easy enough by hooking their test laptop to the modem to test the speed.  If they get full speed on their computer, then your computer/device is the problem.

Just run a testmy.net test to Singapore on my AIS Fibre 100Mb plan at 8:18pm.

MPdupLVC8.png