3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

Ah, thank you so much for your time :)

Is the ZTE also reflash-able with stock firmwares?

Also, are you happy with AIS Fiber? I'm on TRUE ADSL and its been a bit of a mixed experience.

I don't know if the ZTE can be reflashed or if there is a reason to do so. I played with it just enough to turn on the 802.11n section (I'm using that to give visitors to my home WiFi access without giving them access to all the other devices that are on my home network).

And yes, I'm happy with the AIS Fibre so far. I don't get as good of benchmarking results as what some people are reporting here but it is head and shoulders above the 3BB DSL package that I had before and I haven't had any problems that can reasonably be blamed on AIS.

A lot of the settings in the AIS-provided optical router can not be changed by the customer....they are greyed-out.   No setting like Bridge mode to pass almost total control from the AIS provided router to your personal router.  For my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan I was given a Huawei HG8245H.   Can not update the firmware....this is typical for fibre and cable routers where the router is basically married to the system....like how most cable TV setup boxes with their subscription card are married to the cable TV system.  This gives the ISP provide configuration control...and probably a heck of a lot fewer customer phones calls saying they have no internet because the changes some critical settings in the router.    I was also given the freebie Edimax AC750 router which also comes with AIS installed firmware but you can install the latest firmware from Edimax to replace the AIS firmware....I have done that already.

Ah okay, thank you both so much!

Prolly will make a switch to it when my TRUE billing period is over.

@Pib You mentioned that there's no bridge mode setting, however, on the AIS website this is on their T&Cs though.

"The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode."

I'm a little confused there!

32 minutes ago, euphoricV said:

Ah okay, thank you both so much!

Prolly will make a switch to it when my TRUE billing period is over.

@Pib You mentioned that there's no bridge mode setting, however, on the AIS website this is on their T&Cs though.

"The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode."

I'm a little confused there!

Apparently to use bridge mode you have to call AIS to get them to change the router setting for you.  

And yes, you can do port forwarding by using the free DDNS AIS provides.

So, their statement above is true.   Now with the PowerPro package which comes with a Public IPv4 which would negate the need for a DDNS service....and apparently you can change the router to bridge mode yourself.   But the PowerPro plan is approx twice the price of the PowerHome plan.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Apparently to use bridge mode you have to call AIS to get them to change the router setting for you.  

And yes, you can do port forwarding by using the free DDNS AIS provides.

So, their statement above is true.   Now with the PowerPro package which comes with a Public IPv4 which would negate the need for a DDNS service....and apparently you can change the router to bridge mode yourself.   But the PowerPro plan is approx twice the price of the PowerHome plan.

Ah okay, so how does the DDNS service work? Is it something like suzannegoh's experience where she just had to call and all ports are open or do I have to call to open specific ports?

25 minutes ago, euphoricV said:

Ah okay, so how does the DDNS service work? Is it something like suzannegoh's experience where she just had to call and all ports are open or do I have to call to open specific ports?

Review the statement regarding their free DDNS service at the bottom of this AIS webpage.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

DDNS and ports being open are two separate issues. DDNS is no big deal, all that it does is let you find your router from the outside world via a human readable url instead of by an IP address without requiring your IP address to be static. While AIS may have a service to give you that functionality, there are also several free services from 3rd parties that do the same thing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

DDNS and ports being open are two separate issues. DDNS is no big deal, all that it does is let you find your router from the outside world via a human readable url instead of by an IP address without requiring your IP address to be static. While AIS may have a service to give you that functionality, there are also several free services from 3rd parties that do the same thing.

Oops, got mixed up with ddns and port forwarding since it was under the same form. Anyway, AIS said the port forwarding is only limited to 10 ports. And I'm only eligible to 1 router (I believe its the huawei one).

On 11/25/2016 at 5:37 PM, Pib said:

No setting like Bridge mode to pass almost total control from the AIS provided router to your personal router.

I have AIS here and when installed it took many hours for the technicians to figure out bridge mode.  It was finally turned on remotely by a more knowledgeable tech, and works fine with a load balancer doing all the routing.

My problem now is that True will no longer offer bridging with their routers since they are bundling home phone with all new Internet packages.  The home phone is VOIP via their router.  So if using an ISP's router in bridge mode matters to you I think you can all but discount True at this time.

Edited by RedCardinal

Just this morning I was thinking with it being 1 Dec, getting close to the holidays, and their 50% off for 3 months ending 30 Nov (although they still show in on their website as of a few minutes ago), I thought AIS just might update their packages/prices.  But when I checked this morning it was same-old, same-old.

Now in the afternoon they have added a 200/10Mb PowerHome plan.   Funny they jumped right over having a 100/10 PowerHome plan although they have always had a  pricey 100/40 PowerPro plan.   

I can understand them going to a 200Mb plan to compete with the 3BB 200/50Mb plan, but I wonder why they just skipped right over having a 100/10 PowerHome plan which would also compete with the True 100/30Mb plan....maybe AIS didn't want to hurt sales/create more in-hourse completion for their pricey 100/40Mb  PowerPro plan. 

Just this morning I was thinking with it being 1 Dec, getting close to the holidays, and their 50% off for 3 months ending 30 Nov (although they still show in on their website as of a few minutes ago), I thought AIS just might update their packages/prices.  But when I checked this morning it was same-old, same-old.

Now in the afternoon they have added a 200/10Mb PowerHome plan.   Funny they jumped right over having a 100/10 PowerHome plan although they have always had a  pricey 100/40 PowerPro plan.   

I can understand them going to a 200Mb plan to compete with the 3BB 200/50Mb plan, but I wonder why they just skipped right over having a 100/10 PowerHome plan which would also compete with the True 100/30Mb plan....maybe AIS didn't want to hurt sales/create more in-hourse completion for their pricey 100/40Mb  PowerPro plan. 

I just wished they had upgraded plans for powerpro packages I am currently using 50/20 for 1990 a month and I am very tempted to switch to 200/10 for 1899 although I will get lower upload speed but it's fine , I am wondering can you downgrade from powerpro to power home within the year of contract ?

Also looking at Ais website folks can now skip the 1 year contract if they pay for the installation.

1b710c95738ee7b42934786646506d08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm going to guess that unless maybe you paid for the installation, which you probably didn't, that you couldn't downgrade from the PowerPro to PowerHome regardless of speed change until your 12 month contract is up.  

Basically, they don't want you to downgrade to a "lower costing" monthly plan during the contract period.  But hey, it don't hurt to ask...all they can say is No.....or maybe you'll get lucky and they will say Sure, Can Do.

Now for folks who live in highrises and the final X-meters from the ground floor connection to your residence on the X-floor is provide via phone line (i.e, ADSL or VDSL) versus ethernet,  DOCSIS/cable, or fiber, then going to a speed higher than 50Mb is probably not going to be possible/available.  

VDSL can go up to around 80Mb over a  short distance but the line really has to be in great condition and it's probably hard to find lines in great condition in highrises considering some switching boxes will probably also be in the mix.   ISPs usually just play it safe with a conservative 50Mb VDSL plan limit.  Anything higher than that requires ethernet, cable/DOCSIS, or fiber wiring to the residence.

Edited by Pib

I'm going to give AIS Fibre a call tomorrow to see if they have a 100/10 PowerHome Plan for Bt1100 (Bt990 if AIS customer) that they are not advertising on there website.  When going to the Pantip website people are showing such a plan when they log onto their AIS Fibre account.   I've never setup an AIS online account...maybe I should.

Capture2.JPG

• Like 1

I just went into my online account and it does not offer the 100/10 plan like is offered to the guy above.  Below is what is offered to me for an upgrade...the checked item is my current 50/10 Fibre plan.   Although I didn't post the link to the pantip topic in that same topic there was another guy who checked his online account and he was not offered the 100/10 plan either.  Guess other factors are in play as to what plans are available to each person like maybe if you have completed your 12 month contract which I haven't....maybe the guy was being offered a 100Mb plan had completed his 12 months and he was getting the 100Mb plan offer also.   Maybe if you are an AIS mobile customer (which I'm not) is another factor.   Anyway, here's the pantip link showing how people are being different upgrade options.

Options Shown To Me

Capture3.JPG

Edited by Pib

Now for folks who live in highrises and the final X-meters from the ground floor connection to your residence on the X-floor is provide via phone line (i.e, ADSL or VDSL) versus ethernet,  DOCSIS/cable, or fiber, then going to a speed higher than 50Mb is probably not going to be possible/available.  

VDSL can go up to around 80Mb over a  short distance but the line really has to be in great condition and it's probably hard to find lines in great condition in highrises considering some switching boxes will probably also be in the mix.   ISPs usually just play it safe with a conservative 50Mb VDSL plan limit.  Anything higher than that requires ethernet, cable/DOCSIS, or fiber wiring to the residence.

There is this ISP called Cs loxinfo offering Vdsl in high rise buildings in Bangkok upto 70 MB download speed

A couple of friends are using it in asok Sukhumvit and sathorn area and they are generally satisfied with it.

73bafc500bfae3215e688cdbf652d10b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 11/25/2016 at 9:18 PM, suzannegoh said:

As I understand it, AIS use carrier-grade NAT on home packages so I think it probably is necessary to use their DDNS service to open ports.

A regular DDNS provider would still be able to identify your public IP address but that isn't the same IP as the WAN address assigned to your router so you couldn't open ports on it yourself.

Presumably your public IP address may be shared with other subscribers.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noted a slow down to a virtual stop in 3BB net access.  Here in Phayao, I use  the normal connection 631 Baht  month, and it has been very good.  Slow down appeared to start when the KIng died, thought I can see no reason for this.  Now it is unusable from 8;30am until noon, very week day, all day at weekends.

I complained to BB when I paid my monthly bill and they sent a lad to check my system.  His conclusion was that I needed a new, faster, router, (1000B) and that I shoudl upgrade my computer to Win10.  he totally refused to consider that 3BB was slow, nor would he agree that if the service was OK at times, then my existing Router was OK.

ON bad times it is impossible to even type an e-mail as I have to wait for each letter to be uploaded.  IE and Chrome regularly lock up.

I can't change my provider as in this village there is only 3BB.  

22 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm going to give AIS Fibre a call tomorrow to see if they have a 100/10 PowerHome Plan for Bt1100 (Bt990 if AIS customer) that they are not advertising on there website.  When going to the Pantip website people are showing such a plan when they log onto their AIS Fibre account.   I've never setup an AIS online account...maybe I should.

Capture2.JPG

I called AIS about the PowerHome 100/10 plan pictured above.   1st call the rep kept saying only the 200/10 plan was available, but when I kept saying the pantip web site was showing a 100/10 plan at Bt1,100/mo or Bt990 if an AIS customer he then stated calling it a "special promotion."  He said he would have an AIS Tech call me back...an AIS person did call me about an hour later and once again he only wanted to talk the 200/10 plan but when I stated telling him the same thing I told the previous rep he suddenly said that was an "expired promotion," but he wanted to check something and would call me back.  He did call me back in about 5 minutes and stayed on the "expired promotion" line of talk and begain talking the 200/10 plan.

So, although the 100/10 plan was appearing in this guy's AIS Fibre upgrade options maybe it's because he's been with AIS for a while, maybe started with AIS Fibre when they did have such a promotion and it just continues to show for the guy.   Could be various reasons.   But when I go into my AIS Fibre account it does not show the 100/10 PowerHome plan at Bt1,100 as an upgrade option.  

Oh well, at least I ran that up the flagpole with AIS.  Now need to decide if I just want to stick with my 50/10 plan at Bt888/mo or upgrade to the 200/10 at Bt1,888/mo.    With 7% VAT that monthly cost is going to squeak over Bt2K/month....don't know if I want to pay that much for an internet plan based on my internet needs. I'll think about it some more.

Maybe wait and see if anyone with the 200Mb plan posts some international speed test results to see if the results are significantly better than my current 50Mb plan.   Once thing I learned over the years with my various internet plans and posts here on ThaiVisa, getting a higher speed plan while does indeed give you high domestic speeds, it may not give you any more (or very little more) international speed except maybe to Singapore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had AIS fibre since April and have never looked back! I recently upgraded from 50/10 to 200/10.  The other nice thing is they give you the option to bridge.  I personally bridged and am using an ASUS RT-AC68U and get the max speed of 200mb even with wifi on the 5GHz band :)

Thailand Test

5874553719.png

Canada Test

5874568368.png

US Test

5874579456.png

aMZXKuiEN.p31FhrXkI.png

Edited by kevinhsn
  • Like 1

kevinhsn,

Gosh, your post is great timing for me.   I've been on AIS Fibre 50/10 since July and happy with it.  And with AIS new promotions like their 200/10 PowerHome plan I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to the 200/10 PowerHome plan.   I'm assuming you are now on the 200/10 PowerHome plan vs some AIS PowerPro plan that may no longer be available to new customers.  

In fact I called AIS today to ask a few questions about when would the  upgrade take effect and would I lose my free HOOQ access through Oct 17 if switching if upgrading to the 200/10 plan?   

The AIS rep said the upgrade would occur at the start of my next billing cycle which is early Jan and I would not lose my current free HOOQ access thru Oct 17.   I didn't want to lose that free HOOQ access I got under my 50/10 plan signup, especially since the 200/10 plan only comes with 1 month free HOOQ.

I even spent time this afternoon on the Testmy.net database today looking for some AIS Fibre results in the 100Mb to 200Mb ballpark...only found one in the 100Mb ballpark and apparently it was a person in Udon Thani who was testing to Tokyo.   Your testmy.net which was run after I did my search should be reflected in the database now...I'll look later.

If you would, could you please post some Testmy.net tests to say LA, Frankfurt, and London.

Maybe this is a sign...your AIS 200/10 results show up after right after I had called AIS today and did some more Testmy.net database research because I'm "almost there" in doing the upgrade from 50/10 to 200/10.    Thanks again.

Pib  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

kevinhsn,

Gosh, your post is great timing for me.   I've been on AIS Fibre 50/10 since July and happy with it.  And with AIS new promotions like their 200/10 PowerHome plan I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to the 200/10 PowerHome plan.   I'm assuming you are now on the 200/10 PowerHome plan vs some AIS PowerPro plan that may no longer be available to new customers.  

In fact I called AIS today to ask a few questions about when would the  upgrade take effect and would I lose my free HOOQ access through Oct 17 if switching if upgrading to the 200/10 plan?   

The AIS rep said the upgrade would occur at the start of my next billing cycle which is early Jan and I would not lose my current free HOOQ access thru Oct 17.   I didn't want to lose that free HOOQ access I got under my 50/10 plan signup, especially since the 200/10 plan only comes with 1 month free HOOQ.

I even spent time this afternoon on the Testmy.net database today looking for some AIS Fibre results in the 100Mb to 200Mb ballpark...only found one in the 100Mb ballpark and apparently it was a person in Udon Thani who was testing to Tokyo.   Your testmy.net which was run after I did my search should be reflected in the database now...I'll look later.

If you would, could you please post some Testmy.net tests to say LA, Frankfurt, and London.

Maybe this is a sign...your AIS 200/10 results show up after right after I had called AIS today and did some more Testmy.net database research because I'm "almost there" in doing the upgrade from 50/10 to 200/10.    Thanks again.

Pib  

Hi,

No problem at all.  Here are the results :)

LnmjafiSt.ZEbNQ7Kqj.png

1f4t2uPTI.y85jemhwJ.png

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 9:34 AM, ellathai said:

And CAT offers this rubbish

Capture.JPG.101dfba6f6c9bee3c1927a382e2c3c84.JPG

though CAT is the most expensive, they should have the most international bandwidth as they have the most submarine cables.  I wonder if CAT users could share if they are satisfied with their international speed.

Edited by linguini
change last word from bandwidth to speed

Thanks for that crossfeed.   Testing about an hour later on my 50/10 plan my Frankfurt speed was better than your 200/10 plan but my LA speed was worst but not a whole lot worst.     See below.   But it should be noted international speeds can change greatly during a 24 hours period....even a few minutes later testing can result in big changes (up or down) on single-thread testers like testmy.net...much less so than on multi-thread testers like OOKLA based testers such as Speedtest.net.

Since I was able to pick-out your Testmy.net session ID last night in the Testmy.net database when you were running tests to LA, SF,  Oz, Frankfurt and London I saw you were generally only getting speeds of a couple of Mbs to most of those locations.   I found that info about 45 minutes after  you had run them and when I ran the tests to the same locations I got basically the same results.   International speed was much worst last night than this morning....not an uncommon event.   And your tests above are still linked to the session ID I looked at last night for your tests.

One thing this did reconfirm to me from comparison testing over the last year with some other TV members when I was on True DOCSIS/Cable, my True 15Mb DOCSIS plan at the time was just as fast as those others members 30Mb DOCSIS plan for international sites beyond Singapore.   And doing some similar testing with a TV member on a AIS 50/10 PowerPro vs my 50/10 PowerHome revealed the same result...and for the PowerPro plan higher international speed was one of its selling point supporting it's approx double monthly price.   And some comparison tests with a TV member on 3BB Fiber 200/50 plan showed the AIS 50/10 speed was generally better than his international speed.

Or said another way, a much faster plan on with the same ISP, like comparison of your AIS Fibre 200 plan and my AIS Fibre 50 plan, may not result in an associated linear international speed increase.  Like with your plan being four times faster than my plan (200 vs 50) does not mean your international speed will be four times faster than mine although it will indeed be four times faster for domestic/in-Thailand speeds.

And due to faster lines between Thailand and Singapore it's usually easy to get good/full speed to Singapore, but when reaching out beyond Singapore (and generally this part of Asia)....like reaching out to the U.S. and Europe the international speeds really roll- off.

Thanks again for the crossfeed.   It confirmed to me that if I do upgrade from the 50 to 200Mb plan that my international speed beyond Singapore will probably not increase.

gHxkPESfB.CSkKBaT7c.png

BO2y7GEVt.eXL7l1rRA.png

16 minutes ago, linguini said:

though CAT is the most expensive, they should have the most international bandwidth as they have the most submarine cables.  I wonder if CAT users could share if they are satisfied with their international bandwidth.

They probably do "own/operate" more submarine cables than other Thai ISPs, but there are plenty of commercial submarine cables running from Thailand....but getting Thai ISPs to buy adequate international bandwidth on these cables is a different story.

While writing post #325 I went to the AIS Fibre home page to look up some info, and a new promotion appeared for a 100/10 PowerHome plan at Bt990.  And when I click on the promotion it gave a bad page error/couldn't find the page.  I then looked at all their packages to see if maybe it was listed there also...but it wasn't.   I then hit Control-F5 to refresh things and that new promotion wouldn't appear again.

I then fired up IE and went to the AIS Fibre home page and once again that new promotion appeared but would disappear after doing a Control-F5.

Now I have never seen this promotion on the AIS website although I have seen some AIS Fibre customers on the Pantip.com website talk about a 100/10 plan for Bt1100 if not an AIS customer and Bt990 if an AIS customer, but supposedly this was an expired plan/promotion no longer available.   

Now AIS Fibre has made a lot of changes/updates to their website over the last few days....they seem to be shifting the layout more to a tablet mode menu structure....  Maybe the 100Mb promotion that popped up for me this morning was just a "whoops"....and old page they accidentally put on their home page just when I was checking it this morning and then they removed it....Or, maybe they are getting ready to re-offer a 100/10 PowerHome plan and was seeing how the promotion actually appeared on their public website. Or, it could just be an unexplainable glitch....all I know I had never seen the ad before.

Now I would definitely be interested in upgrading from my current 50/10 plan at Bt888/mo (I'm not an AIS mobile customer) to a 100/10 plan Bt1,100.   I even mentioned that to the AIS rep I talked to yesterday when asking them a few questions about upgrading.   I'll just continue to watch the AIS Fibre website for possible new promotions.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm not seeing things!!!!   Although the 100/10 at Bt1100 briefly showed on the AIS Fibre homepage and then disappeared I just logged onto my AIS Fibre account and I'm "now" being offerred the option to upgrade to a 100/10 plan at Bt1,100....that option was not available to me a week or two ago when I last looked at my account...nor was it yesterday when talking to the AIS Call Center rep.  

I bet there has been an overnight update.   That is, a new promotion getting ready to come out (that is, hasn't went final yet on the AIS Fibre homepage yet) but my account has just been updated to show it's availability.   Or maybe it's only available to current customers.  I'll probably call AIS again today about upgrading and asking specifically about the 100Mb plan (again)....hopefully I get a different answer today.

I'm much more comfortable with paying Bt1,100/mo for a 100Mb plan since I'm already paying Bt888 right now for my 50Mb plan....get double the speed for only a couple hundred baht more....and definitely more comfortable that paying Bt1,888/mo for the 200Mb plan.

Now I know neither the 100 or 200Mb plan will probably give me any significant better international speed (except to Singapore) than my current 50Mb plan, but I'm more than willing to pay a couple hundred more baht per month to double my domestic speed and probably double my international speed to Singapore where a lot of  US/European sites are mirrored.

But right now I have to go shopping with the wife---priorities you know.

Capture.JPG