3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

14 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

However it is possibly that 1 Gbps packages might offer faster speeds to servers in the US and Europe than your present 200Mbps package even if you presently get much less than 200 Mbps to those places.

As long as the connection uses the same routing & connection technology (eg. fiber) and as long as the user was never maxing-out the 200Mbps to those locations (ie. the bottleneck was not the user's pipe), upgrading to any higher bandwidth pipe won't offer faster speeds to/from those servers.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dr_lucas said:

As long as the connection uses the same routing & connection technology (eg. fiber) and as long as the user was never maxing-out the 200Mbps to those locations (ie. the bottleneck was not the user's pipe), upgrading to any higher bandwidth pipe won't offer faster speeds to/from those servers.

That's what I would have assumed too in the absence of data. AIS recently upgraded my line from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps. I ran speedtests to various cities over a 3 day period before and after the upgrade and these are some of the before and after results:

Tokyo: 94 Mbps before upgrade, 160 Mbps  after

Los Angeles: 49 Mbps before upgrade, 73 Mbps  after

New York: 36 Mbps before upgrade, 74 Mbps after

Miami: 34 Mbps before upgrade, 52 Mbps after

London:  60 Mbps before upgrade, 140 Mbps after.

There is no reason for that to happen unless something else is different on AIS's end, not just your port speed (and I assume your were on a full fiber connection before and after the upgrade).

If you put a local 100Mbit cap on your bandwidth yourself (by connecting it to a 100Mbit port LAN or via configuration) , you will see that London will reach 100Mbps if it just reached 140Mbps before.

It's simple actually.

6 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

There is no reason for that to happen unless something else is different on AIS's end, not just your port speed.

If you put a local 100Mbit cap on your bandwidth yourself (by connecting it to a 100Mbit port LAN or via configuration) , you will see that London will reach 100Mbps if it just reached 140Mbps before.

It's simple actually.

So your saying that the data is wrong because it conflicts with your theory?  Maybe the difference  between the 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps AIS packages isn't just that they are capping the speed.

Just now, dr_lucas said:

Exactly, that's what I am saying, the difference in your specific case is clearly that they didn't just cap the port speed.

And what I wrote before is a fact, not a theory.

And it's a fact that when I upgraded from 100 Mbps Fibre  to 200 Mbps Fibre my speeds went up as indicated. But you're smarter than me, vso you must be right.

Let's not get personal, no need and no room for that.
I completely believe that's what happened in your case, never said it's impossible.
I just explained in what technical circumstances it can happen.
Isn't it possible that AIS is not using a simple cap on line speeds, that when you buy a faster package that they also give higher priority to your international traffic?

Yes, that's absolutely possible and can be one of reasons or the only reason for the differences in your speed test results.

By the way. note that in web forums it's not necessary (and usually discouraged) to quote the previous message if your reply is immediately the next post after it.

33 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

And what I wrote before is a technological fact, not a theory.

You assume there are no other bottlenecks along the way. Thai ISPs all throttle international speeds, and it's quite rational that they would increase the bandwidth budget they assign with increased speed packages.

Been with AIS for several years now....started with their 50Mb plan...then went to their 100Mb plan...and have been on their 200Mb for at least a year.  Each time I upgraded my international speed went up also...similar to what suzzanegoh posted earlier. 

I expect as my plan speed increased I was allowed a higher priority of international bandwidth at AIS's International Gateway.  

AIS also carry their TV streams over the same line, so as they move to move HD and UHD content they'll need more bandwidth. As with most technology, early releases rarely become mainstream until demand catches up. I don't think it will be too long until you'll look back at 100-200Mb connections and reminisce. 
8K video certainly could be a bandwidth pig when and if it become mainstream. But right now the cameras for 8K are few, far between, and crazy expensive, so I'm guessing that by the time it becomes mainstream you'll be able to get a 10 Gbps internet connection for about the same money as what a 1 Gbps connection costs now.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Been with AIS for several years now....started with their 50Mb plan...then went to their 100Mb plan...and have been on their 200Mb for at least a year.  Each time I upgraded my international speed went up also...similar to what suzzanegoh posted earlier. 

I expect as my plan speed increased I was allowed a higher priority of international bandwidth at AIS's International Gateway.  

I’ve been with AIS for a while now but I originally went with them because of data that you posted here, some of which was counterintuitive.  Sometimes when people know too much they are unable to adapt when there are variables that they failed to consider.  I’ve supervised some engineers like that before; the best remedy for that is to team them up with a crazy person who doesn’t know what is impossible.  I also bought a Shield recently and have no idea why it streams better than cheap Chinese boxes with good specs but I swear that it does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 1:23 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have the 15/5 AIS optic fiber and as of typing is downloading 1.7 MB/sec.

I pay 100 baht/month for the first 6 months and then 590 baht/month.

Like you I was also fed up with True, but is a very happy camper now.

Am I correct thinking that 1.7mB is the same as 8 x 1.7 = 13.6 mb/sec?

41 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

what's the good of having a Gigabyte (1000 MB/sec) network

Depends on what's happening within your network. If you have only one PC connected to the router then it probably won't make any difference with only 15Mb WAN.  If you have a media server sitting on your network which is serving content to multiple TVs/devices then it will probably make a big difference. 

Many of the ISPs here also bundle TV which they deliver over the same connection. So while your Internet connection might be throttled to 15Mb/s, the TV box is probably using something similar, and possibly higher for FHD streams.  In this case, your 100MB LAN network might rapidly approach its maximum throughput, and the little TV box you connect may start to stutter.

Now if by "Gigabyte (1000 MB/sec) network" you're actually referring to your WAN (the pipe that comes into your house), then it's not going to make sense for everyone, but for some users, it's going to be very useful indeed. 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:02 AM, RedCardinal said:

Depends on what's happening within your network. If you have only one PC connected to the router then it probably won't make any difference with only 15Mb WAN.  If you have a media server sitting on your network which is serving content to multiple TVs/devices then it will probably make a big difference. 

Many of the ISPs here also bundle TV which they deliver over the same connection. So while your Internet connection might be throttled to 15Mb/s, the TV box is probably using something similar, and possibly higher for FHD streams.  In this case, your 100MB LAN network might rapidly approach its maximum throughput, and the little TV box you connect may start to stutter.

Now if by "Gigabyte (1000 MB/sec) network" you're actually referring to your WAN (the pipe that comes into your house), then it's not going to make sense for everyone, but for some users, it's going to be very useful indeed. 

How much bandwidth is the standard AIS media box using?

I don't see any difference in my torrent downloading speed with the AIS box on and off.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I don't see any difference in my torrent downloading speed with the AIS box on and off.

I was replying to a question about LAN network. The WAN bandwidth used by AIS box doesn't affect your WAN allowance, so it shouldn't impact how fast your torrents run.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:59 PM, elgordo38 said:

Running into the same problem in Chiang Mai with 3BB lately keeps dropping off and cannot locate websites. This part is getting worse. Looking for a good alternative. When you phone them they ask ask is everything OK NOW! well yes at this moment but it is a reaccurring problem. 

Exactly the same here for the last 2 months with 3BB internet dropping out daily cant locate websites been calling every few days wife had a fit a them 2 days ago according to call center signal was reset, AGAIN  ...... no problems since ... yet

On 8/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan....here's my speed test result as I watch TV using the Playbox.  

7572086460.png

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

Now its time for 3bb to offer 500 and 1000 mbps plans.

You know I don't know of any Thai ISP that offers a 500Mb plan....seems most have a gap between 200 and 1000Mb...but True does have a 300Mb plan.

And I don't think the 500Mb or 1000Mb would really be that popular among us folks who "primarily use a Wifi connection to most of their devices within their home" since getting 300Mb or higher speed over a Wifi connection is going to be hard for most folks unless they are close to their router (like within the same room as the router) and have a line of site/no obstructions between their router and end device.  And a person only needs around 25Mb to stream 4K video.   Now if you home connections are via ethernet then those plans could be put to full use.

My current AIS Fibre 200/50 plan with unlimited data SIM at 6Mb speed, 12 months free Platinum TV package, free HooQ for 12 months, and free AIS Wifi comes to end in early Sep.  Cost of that plan was Bt1,990 excluding 7% VAT. 

I just renewed for a 200/50 plan with unlimited data SIM at 4Mb speed (a little slower but still fast enough), 3 months free Platinum TV package, and free AIS Wifi.   No free HooQ which normally cost around Bt139/mo but that is no loss as I wouldn't play for HooQ.   Cost of that plan Bt1,099 excluding 7%VAT.   Now since it only includes 3 months free Platinum TV come month 4 I will need to add-on/pay for the Platinum TV package which is Bt599/mo....I will now be up to Bt1,698.   Approx a Bt300 or 15% savings for basically the same plan I had for the last 12 months.  Yeap, internet packages/plans just keeps getting cheaper.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

You know I don't know of any Thai ISP that offers a 500Mb plan....seems most have a gap between 200 and 1000Mb...but True does have a 300Mb plan.

And I don't think the 500Mb or 1000Mb would really be that popular among us folks who "primarily use a Wifi connection to most of their devices within their home" since getting 300Mb or higher speed over a Wifi connection is going to be hard for most folks unless they are close to their router (like within the same room as the router) and have a line of site/no obstructions between their router and end device.  And a person only needs around 25Mb to stream 4K video.   Now if you home connections are via ethernet then those plans could be put to full use.

My current AIS Fibre 200/50 plan with unlimited data SIM at 6Mb speed, 12 months free Platinum TV package, free HooQ for 12 months, and free AIS Wifi comes to end in early Sep.  Cost of that plan was Bt1,990 excluding 7% VAT. 

I just renewed for a 200/50 plan with unlimited data SIM at 4Mb speed (a little slower but still fast enough), 3 months free Platinum TV package, and free AIS Wifi.   No free HooQ which normally cost around Bt139/mo but that is no loss as I wouldn't play for HooQ.   Cost of that plan Bt1,099 excluding 7%VAT.   Now since it only includes 3 months free Platinum TV come month 4 I will need to add-on/pay for the Platinum TV package which is Bt599/mo....I will now be up to Bt1,698.   Approx a Bt300 or 15% savings for basically the same plan I had for the last 12 months.  Yeap, internet packages/plans just keeps getting cheaper.

That 200/50 package from AIS is a good deal. I don't use the Platinum TV so it doesn't trouble me that it only includes 3 months of that.

And I bet within 6 months when we log on one morning the upload speed will be 100Mb instead of 50Mb as the competition between ISPs continue....and that will be a free/automatic upgrade.  Now I don't need 100Mb upload speed....don't even need 50Mb upload speed because I upload very little....but I will gladly accept the 100Mb upload speed if it's a freebie upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

And I bet within 6 months when we log on one morning the upload speed will be 100Mb instead of 50Mb as the competition between ISPs continue....and that will be a free/automatic upgrade.  Now I don't need 100Mb upload speed....don't even need 50Mb upload speed because I upload very little....but I will gladly accept the 100Mb upload speed if it's a freebie upgrade.

Possibly, though with my current setup I probably wouldn't notice further speed increases except when doing speedtests. I'm rather enjoying the fact that Thailand is no longer a laggard in internet speeds and that they sometimes upgrade your speeds without asking for more money.

FYI, as best as I can tell, 3BB Fiber Internet launched a new rewards program for its existing customers at the beginning of August that includes points accumulation and the ability to get pretty regular speed upgrades to customers' regular fiber plans. The customer service staff I spoke with said the rewards program should be ongoing, not just a short-term thing.

Basically, the program for registered 3BB customers provides 1 point for every 25 baht you spend with 3BB. So someone who pays 1200b per month for their 200/100 Mbps fiber service should earn 48 points per month plus an extra 5 points for paying your bill on time -- enough to buy a 15-day speed upgrade every month to their next highest speed level of 300/150 Mbps, which costs 50 points.

Although 3BB still doesn't show any pricing on their website for anything above their 200/100 Mbps fiber plan, the customer service rep I spoke with on the phone tonight said their 300/150 Mbps fiber service is currently priced at 4280b per month, and their 400/200 Mbps service priced at 5350b per month. So the promotion and free speed upgrade works out to be a pretty nice benefit.

When I asked why they don't list the availability and pricing on those higher speed fiber plans on their website, she answered that the higher speed plans are mainly intended for businesses as opposed to home use, including with the provision for having a fixed IP. But she added, when I asked, that consumers could still subscribe to those higher level plans, or, in this case, get the free upgrades to them.

3BB Privilege Points Accumulation

http://www.3bbprivilege.com/whatis

Q&A in EN om 3BB Rewards Program

http://www.3bbprivilege.com/qna

Fiber Upspeed Reward

http://www.3bbprivilege.com/rewards/detail/16

Here's the confirmation I got today after doing an initial 1 week speed upgrade, since I haven't paid my next bill yet since the monthly promotion started, and I didn't have enough points to do more.

1546278951_3BBFiberUpspeedPromotion.png.204b1f709cab3a0432d2896bca524267.png

Here's a bit more detail on their promotion:

1342189571_3BBRewards300-150MbpsUpgrade.jpg.aa03dcdc808fe60a1061dc615b63d407.jpg

One of the other interesting things the CSR mentioned over the phone is she claimed all of their fiber service plans above 200 Mbps come as fixed IP plans, whereas the 200 Mbps and below plans are dynamic IP plans.

BTW, they also appear to be offering a 1-time, 30-day next plan up fiber speed upgrade to customers who download and install 3BB's Android or Apple mobile apps and use those to register their 3BB account.

Archived