3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, elfpattaya said:

My 3BB connection at present does not have IPv6. But it did say this.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Exchanged emails with 3BB yesterday. They are currently testing IPv6 and have plans to "roll it out soon".

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my AIS 200/50 plan I have public IPv4 and public IPv6.   Public IPv6 is automatic on all their plans.  However, public IPv4 is not standard on their residential plans (CGNAT is) unless you pay an extra Bt200/month for a public IPv4.   

Regarding the public IPv6 address, it may not be activated on your account; if not it just takes a call to AIS Fibre and they will activate it within one day...usually in much less time....maybe even why you talk to them on the phone. 

The first time I had IPv6 activated they did it while I was on the phone with the rep.  Later I had it deactivated in troubleshooting an international speed problem but deactivation didn't help so I called several weeks later to have it reactivated and the rep said it would take anywhere from a few hours to one day...but within 30 minutes it was activated. 

And remember, even when they activate IPv6 on their end you need to have the IPv6 function activated on your end in your computer and router.  If you are only using the AIS Fibre-provided router when AIS activates IPv6 it will automatically turn-on IPv6 in that AIS router; but if you are using the AIS router in bridge mode and using your personal router for primary routing functions then you need to turn on the IPv6 function in your router...and in your computer.

Now I said I have public IPv4...that's not because I pay for it.  It's because late last year around mid Sep I began experiencing big reductions in international speed (1/3 to 1/2 of what I had be use to for my first 15 months with AIS)...and I was complaining to them almost every day.  Others on ThaiVisa and other blogs were experiencing the same problem.  In trying to fix my international speed problem they apparently took me from behind the CGNAT and gave me a public IPv4 address at no charge.  However, putting me on that public IPv4 address did not fix the slow international speed problem...but several weeks later on the morning of 16 Nov the low international speed problem just magically went away....and I still have a public IPv4 address....and the public IPv6 address.   I figure they just finally fixed a server/network problem that was affecting many customers....one of which was me.

20 hours ago, muratremix said:

This power boost promo says public ipv4 and public ipv6 which means no CGNAT and real IP.

Besides, 200/200 for day and 50/50 night for 1190 baht seems good enough?

Even 790 baht one for 100/100 and 30/30 seems acceptable. 

Symmetrical upload/download looks good, feels good :)

Me upload very little.....but me surf/video stream/download a lot.   Download speed is far more important for me.

• 1 month later...

Ais have again changed their Power packages. The top 200/50 package is now 1399 p.m. but only gives platinum TV for 3 months. Given that Platinum package is 599 per month this actually represents a better deal than the previous 1999 p.m with Platinum free for 12 months. Really wish they'd offer upgraded speeds.

Yea, I first noticed the change last weekend. One plan also seemed to disappear that was named Broadband "Plus" plan or something like that....and their business plans are no longer showing...only consumer plans.   I sure they still have business plans, it's just they probably market them via separate channels now like how True does it.

I guess it could be considered a better deal if a person didn't want the Platinum TV package and I'm sure there are many who don't.

Before the Power4 200/50 package included the 200/50 internet, unlimited mobile SIM at 6Mb speed, Platnium TV package for 12 months, HOOQ for 12 months, and unlimited Wifi for Bt1,999/month.  See 1st snapshot below of old plan below. 

But let's just back-out the Platinum TV package cost of Bt599 from the old plan and forget about the HOOQ that goes for around Bt129/mo, but leave in the 6Mb speed SIM and Wifi....we now have a monthly cost of Bt1,400 for the internet, mobile 6Mb SIM, and Wifi which if disregarding the 3mo free Platinum TV package in the new plan (see 2nd snapshot) a person ends-up with a plan that costs 1 baht less per month but you have also went from a SIM providing 6Mb speed to 4Mb speed.  Is saving 1 baht per month worth reducing the SIM speed by 33%?   And also losing the free 12 months of HOOQ which I admit is mostly older movies and TV series.

It would be my guess the reason they have revised the Power4 plan offering/price and reduced the free Platinum TV package from 12 to 3 months is a lot of people just didn't want the Platinum TV package plus HOOQ not really something to write home about...and although the AIS promotion tried to disguise the 12 months of Platinum TV as being free I think most everyone could see through that disguise based on similar speed packages minus premium TV offered by other ISPs.    

And if after 3 months people like having the Platinum TV package and want to continue it they will need to pay an additional Bt599/mo on top of the Bt1,399 for a total of Bt1998......1 baht cheaper than the old plan but only having a 4Mb speed SIM vs 6Mb speed SIM. 

I think the new plan is really a win-win for AIS and customers as AIS ends-up earning basically the same when people take the Platinum TV package and customers can have a 3 month sample period of the Platinum package and if desired choose to continue the Platinum TV or instead sign up for one of several lower cost premium TV packages like movies only, family only, sports only, etc (see 3d snapshot).  Yea, win-win.

Old Plan

image.png.8eb6ce72de658e878b177c536f4b21af.png

New Plan

image.png.2098bf5ebab0038196183b8735f5bdf9.png

AIS Fibre Premium TV Package Add-ons

http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/en/package.html

image.png.df358e654ac4e2c056c6b4f354563486.png

Not to mention they're trying to compete with 3BB's straight 200/100 Mbps fiber internet-only plan for 1200 baht per month (1284 with taxes).

I already have and pay for an AIS 4G postpaid SIM and service (with the data not capped at 4 Mbps) with unlimited AIS wifi. And although the 4G data component of the internet bundle is nice, I'm pretty sure I'd still have to be paying extra for my AIS phone service because I'd still need mobile calling minutes, and it looks like the bundle above includes none.

And they're charging a one-time 650 baht "fiber entry fee"??? A supposed discount down from 2000 baht???  All the while claiming free installation.  That seems kind of disingenuous. Not to mention, what the heck is a "fiber entry fee" if not installation related.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I already have and pay for an AIS 4G postpaid SIM and service (with the data not capped at 4 Mbps) with unlimited AIS wifi. And although the 4G data component of the internet bundle is nice, I'm pretty sure I'd still have to be paying extra for my AIS phone service because I'd still need mobile calling minutes, and it looks like the bundle above includes none.

You do pay extra for outgoing calls and SMSs as follows but the mobile data is unlimited. 

Excess charges of the right to receive in this package. Additional charges will be charged as following details:

Voice calls and video calls on all networks are charged at 1.50 baht / minute (a fraction of a minute is a minute).
Short message (SMS) is charged at 2 Baht per message, only for messages between mobile phones used and domestically registered.
Multimedia message (MMS) is charged at 3 Baht per message, only for messages between mobile phones used and domestically registered.

Anyone signed up with 3BB over the last few months?  What are their installation charges?   At the bottom is what their website currently says according to Google Translate.  

However, when you do a search on ThaiVisa as to what people play I see posts like "if a farang signing up under your name you have to pay 12 months in advance, had to buy the GPON, the installation was totally free other than the first month payment upfront, etc."    Seems different folks experience different sign-up costs and might even depend on what part of Thailand they live in.

image.png.b23b973702a820b215b6fd1c1cf44aee.png 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Anyone signed up with 3BB over the last few months?  What are their installation charges?   At the bottom is what their website currently says according to Google Translate.  

However, when you do a search on ThaiVisa as to what people play I see posts like "if a farang signing up under your name you have to pay 12 months in advance, had to buy the GPON, the installation was totally free other than the first month payment upfront, etc."    Seems different folks experience different sign-up costs and might even depend on what part of Thailand they live in.

I don't think the fees are different, but the way they are charged by 3BB is very different depending on whether the account is in a Thai's name or farang's name, at least here in BKK.

In our case, if the account was going to be in my name, as best as I recall, we'd need to pay for a full year of service upfront, but still would have gotten free installation, and had to put down a deposit on the router (not buy it).

In my wife's name, we paid 1 month of service upfront, paid the same deposit on the router, and had free installation.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

With 3BB as a foreigner you have to pay 1 year in advance on the initial installation, but you get a 8% discount on the fee.

After the first year you can pay monthly, or continue 1 year upfront if you like the 8% discount.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

By the way, I just signed up with TOT fibre.

installation fee of 5700 Baht - waived.

Modem en router -  10 Baht

Cancellation fee if cancel within 1 year - waived ( cancellation fee would normally 5700 + 1000 Baht + VAT).

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

By the way, I just signed up with TOT fibre.

installation fee of 5700 Baht - waived.

Modem en router -  10 Baht

Cancellation fee if cancel within 1 year - waived ( cancellation fee would normally 5700 + 1000 Baht + VAT).

So what did it actually cost to start service with TOT, including any breakdown of different charges?

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So what did it actually cost to start service with TOT, including any breakdown of different charges?

10 Baht

Actually they cheated me because I only got a receipt for 9.75 Baht and no change

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Didn't charge you for the first month's monthly service fee at signup?

No, I signed up for the 100/50 Package at 700 Baht, but nothing was charged at signup.

I assume that I soon will receive a statement in the post.

53 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

100/50 Package at 700 Baht

They've changed the packages again. 700 Baht was the rate for 50/20, that has dropped to 590 Baht. The new promo Fibre 2 U - 'Net Revo', whatever that's supposed to mean, is below.

revo-table1.png

Just requested they upgrade me to 100/50 from my current 50/20 for 700Bht.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And they're charging a one-time 650 baht "fiber entry fee"??? A supposed discount down from 2000 baht???  All the while claiming free installation.  That seems kind of disingenuous. Not to mention, what the heck is a "fiber entry fee" if not installation related.

Looking at the TrueOnline website, I see they charge a Bt650 fee also....they call it a membership fee.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/package?ln=en

image.png.be602d3bffc862311d161ec34ef2a99c.png

well I've just upgraded my 3bb  internet from vdsl 30/10 to fiber 150/50 and for my streaming its made no difference whatsoever.

Also with a house full of teenage girls its still useless if more than one starts streaming as well.Wish I hadn't bothered.

18 hours ago, parryhandy said:

Also with a house full of teenage girls its still useless if more than one starts streaming as well.Wish I hadn't bothered.

There is something wrong with your setup then...even on 30Mbps you should be able to watch a couple of good quality streams at the same time

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 12:36 PM, johng said:

There is something wrong with your setup then...even on 30Mbps you should be able to watch a couple of good quality streams at the same time

its ok now after I phoned the helpline. We can all watch movies now.

Seems to work well to sign up for the lowest price plan possible and get upgraded for free when they discontinue the low end packages, I've been upgraded twice this way in the past year with AIS. 

• 1 month later...

I see True has a new promotion.  1Gb speed fiber internet with either mobile 100GB (3 SIMs) or Truevisions Gold TV package for Bt2,999 per month.   See first snapshot below.

I remember it was not so long ago when a similar True 1Gb speed plan with mobile and TV was Bt19,999/month....see second snapshot below.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/news-detail/2/312?ln=en

Current Promotion

image.png.a5774976a8c8e6fc7fcadf962e46c4f6.png

Old True Promotion

image.png.accc9750f29e74678e0e4b7f0ca5f7ae.png

On 6/25/2018 at 10:46 AM, Pib said:

I see True has a new promotion.  1Gb speed fiber internet with either mobile 100GB (3 SIMs) or Truevisions Gold TV package for Bt2,999 per month.   See first snapshot below.

I remember it was not so long ago when a similar True 1Gb speed plan with mobile and TV was Bt19,999/month....see second snapshot below.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/news-detail/2/312?ln=en

Current Promotion

image.png.a5774976a8c8e6fc7fcadf962e46c4f6.png

Old True Promotion

image.png.accc9750f29e74678e0e4b7f0ca5f7ae.png

Wow...that is extremely fast!!! That wil make me think about for it in the further future.

now I’m happy what I got 100/100 down/upload 06:00 - 18:00 and 30/30 18:00 - 06:00 from AIS and no tv (haven’t got a tv yet)

although 30Mbps is not bad in the evening even on WiFi.

I've mentioned in other threads/posts before that while having a 1Gb plan would be "nice-to-have but not required at least for me" because I would not be able to fully utilize 1Gb speed.  Most of my home connections between router-and-devices is a Wifi connection can not transmit/receive at a 1Gb speed.  This includes the two laptop computers I use frequently.

While my main Asus router could probably handle a 1Gb Wifi speed, the devices hooking up to it could not due to limitations of their Wifi circuits/chips (not designed/spec'ed for such high speed), Wifi interference from neighbors, distance & obstacles between the router and devices which degrades speed, where my devices are used in my 2 story concrete home, etc.  Plus some of my devices only have 100Mb speed Ehternet ports; not 1Gb speed ports. 

Additionally, the the few devices I do have hooked directly to the router via Ethernet such are Android TV boxes and phone VOID devices sure don't need 1Gb speed to play video or make a call.    Even streaming a 4K video only needs 15 to 25Mb speed....and a VOIP call only around 100Kb.

From some internal Wifi testing I've done using my home server as the data source, I figure 250-300Mb Wifi speed is all I could really achieve in my home with current equipment when I'm close to the router....no walls/obstructions/distance/interference degrading the speed of the Wifi connection

Now for folks who primarily use an Ethernet connection between router and devices and/or share, split out the internet connection to many users (like apartments, condos, etc) then maybe they could get better use from a 1Gb plan.   

For me, I currently on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan.   I'm a little surprised AIS has not offered a 200/100 or 300/100 plan yet.   True has had a 300/70 plan for a while now and 3BB has has a 200/100 plan for a while.  If AIS ever offers a 300/xxx combo plan that includes mobile and premium TV (i.e, a new Power4 plan)  I'll seriously consider that if the price is right as I figure a 300Mb speed plan is able all I can effectively use---not to imply I'll get 300Mb international speed.

• 2 weeks later...
I've mentioned in other threads/posts before that while having a 1Gb plan would be "nice-to-have but not required at least for me" because I would not be able to fully utilize 1Gb speed.  Most of my home connections between router-and-devices is a Wifi connection can not transmit/receive at a 1Gb speed.  This includes the two laptop computers I use frequently.

While my main Asus router could probably handle a 1Gb Wifi speed, the devices hooking up to it could not due to limitations of their Wifi circuits/chips (not designed/spec'ed for such high speed), Wifi interference from neighbors, distance & obstacles between the router and devices which degrades speed, where my devices are used in my 2 story concrete home, etc.  Plus some of my devices only have 100Mb speed Ehternet ports; not 1Gb speed ports. 

Additionally, the the few devices I do have hooked directly to the router via Ethernet such are Android TV boxes and phone VOID devices sure don't need 1Gb speed to play video or make a call.    Even streaming a 4K video only needs 15 to 25Mb speed....and a VOIP call only around 100Kb.

From some internal Wifi testing I've done using my home server as the data source, I figure 250-300Mb Wifi speed is all I could really achieve in my home with current equipment when I'm close to the router....no walls/obstructions/distance/interference degrading the speed of the Wifi connection

Now for folks who primarily use an Ethernet connection between router and devices and/or share, split out the internet connection to many users (like apartments, condos, etc) then maybe they could get better use from a 1Gb plan.   

For me, I currently on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan.   I'm a little surprised AIS has not offered a 200/100 or 300/100 plan yet.   True has had a 300/70 plan for a while now and 3BB has has a 200/100 plan for a while.  If AIS ever offers a 300/xxx combo plan that includes mobile and premium TV (i.e, a new Power4 plan)  I'll seriously consider that if the price is right as I figure a 300Mb speed plan is able all I can effectively use---not to imply I'll get 300Mb international speed.

I have that same issue that my home network can no longer keep up with the fastest Internet connections available in Thailand. But I think that's a good thing, that we have more bandwidth than what we know how to use. It makes me wonder what things will look like 20 years from now, will bandwidth by then be as plentiful as oxygen and we look back in amazement that we once thought that governments needed to step in to legislate that bandwidth not be restricted?

When I moved to Thailand in 2008 the fastest speed in my moobaan was 2Mb....TOT ADSL.   And boy, I wanted/needed more speed because 2Mb just was not fast enough....Youtube was nothing but "pause."  Later I went to 4Mb ADSL as TOT upgraded it lines. 

Then True DOCSIS (Cable) came to my moobaan....I now have a choice of two ISPs--awesome. I switch to True and stayed with them for 5 years on 15Mb and 20Mb plans.   Could have had a 100Mb with True but it was just way too pricey then...but much cheaper now.   

Then around 2 years ago AIS Fibre came to my moobaan...I started on a 50Mb plan...then went to a 100Mb...then to my current 200Mb.  Could have already switched to a  300Mb by day, 100Mb by night plan, but I'm staying with my 24hr 200Mb plan for the foreseeable future because as talked in my earlier post I really couldn't take advantage of a 250-300Mb or faster plan due to my equipment and how I use my equipment.

Yeap, considering I was on a 2Mb plan 10 years ago and now on a 200Mb which is 100 times faster than what I had 10 years ago I really can't gripe about speed anymore except maybe international speed---wish that could be 200Mb also to the US/Europe....but I can get 200Mb to Singapore.  

53 minutes ago, Pib said:

When I moved to Thailand in 2008 the fastest speed in my moobaan was 2Mb....TOT ADSL.   And boy, I wanted/needed more speed because 2Mb just was not fast enough....Youtube was nothing but "pause."  Later I went to 4Mb ADSL as TOT upgraded it lines. 

Then True DOCSIS (Cable) came to my moobaan....I now have a choice of two ISPs--awesome. I switch to True and stayed with them for 5 years on 15Mb and 20Mb plans.   Could have had a 100Mb with True but it was just way too pricey then...but much cheaper now.   

Then around 2 years ago AIS Fibre came to my moobaan...I started on a 50Mb plan...then went to a 100Mb...then to my current 200Mb.  Could have already switched to a  300Mb by day, 100Mb by night plan, but I'm staying with my 24hr 200Mb plan for the foreseeable future because as talked in my earlier post I really couldn't take advantage of a 250-300Mb or faster plan due to my equipment and how I use my equipment.

Yeap, considering I was on a 2Mb plan 10 years ago and now on a 200Mb which is 100 times faster than what I had 10 years ago I really can't gripe about speed anymore except maybe international speed---wish that could be 200Mb also to the US/Europe....but I can get 200Mb to Singapore.  

Just from casual observation, it seems as if available bandwidth has been expanding much more rapidly than people’s ability to consume bandwidth.  If that trend continues, it seems that at some point in the future additional bandwidth should have very little commercial value.  And that’s where I fell off the boat in arguments about Net Neutrality laws.  While people seem to think that we need governments to prevent ISPs from restricting people’s bandwidth, I think that it’s more likely that as time goes on ISPs will increasingly have difficulty selling all of the bandwidth that they have.

Archived