3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

Here's some of the speed test results I got tonight with the upgraded 300/150 Mbps fiber service, tested with my desktop PC in BKK connected directly to my 3BB Huawei gigabit router:

ADSLThailand to Los Angeles

1124194626_ADSLThailandtoL.A_5pm.jpg.77411839d77a81bff33a191d651cfb91.jpg

AT&T U.S.

1165048350_ATTU_S5pm.jpg.c28841ab74f9b45a239f92853f2b37c5.jpg

Netflix Fast

1950829184_NetflixFast7pm.jpg.da1b9f0dbc0f23661dd0faf52d1dc102.jpg

San Francisco:

18368553_SanFrancisco7pm.jpg.68c9af8f6da44d026d0eb44404c1f2c3.jpg

Singapore:

1982774409_Singapore7pm.jpg.39a76a8bcf650b5565404a8f62bc3d9b.jpg

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's some of the speed test results I got tonight with the upgraded 300/150 Mbps fiber service, tested with my desktop PC in BKK connected directly to my 3BB Huawei gigabit router:

ADSLThailand to Los Angeles

1124194626_ADSLThailandtoL.A_5pm.jpg.77411839d77a81bff33a191d651cfb91.jpg

AT&T U.S.

1165048350_ATTU_S5pm.jpg.c28841ab74f9b45a239f92853f2b37c5.jpg

Netflix Fast

1950829184_NetflixFast7pm.jpg.da1b9f0dbc0f23661dd0faf52d1dc102.jpg

San Francisco:

18368553_SanFrancisco7pm.jpg.68c9af8f6da44d026d0eb44404c1f2c3.jpg

Singapore:

1982774409_Singapore7pm.jpg.39a76a8bcf650b5565404a8f62bc3d9b.jpg

Impressive speeds.

Those are indeed impressive results, especially the testmy.net speed to SF.   Here's what my AIS Fibre 200/50 plan is getting for download speed at 9:41pm Thailand time.   My Singapore speed is equal to yours, but not my SF speed.

To Singapore

J2GF8pkqh.png

To SF

_7iMTF5vl.png

Just a bit of an update re the 3BB 300/150 Mbps service:

Today, I ran a series of tests using my various wifi connections at home, as opposed to the direct ethernet results from yesterday that I posted above. As usual, even with the router and PC or streaming box very close by and unobstructed, the wifi throughput was much less than direct ethernet.

When I re-ran the 3BB fiber ethernet direct (meaning a local Thai connection) tests this afternoon about 4 pm, I got downloads of :

Netflix Fast -- 310 Mbps

AT&T U.S. -- 232 Mbps

TestMy San Fran - 194-197 Mbps

When I ran the same tests on my PC desktop using 3BB's own router 2.4 GHz wifi providing a local Thai connection, I got downloads of:

Netflix Fast -- 39 Mbps

AT&T U.S. -- 44 Mbps

TestMy San Fran -- 27-35 Mbps

When I ran the same tests on my PC desktop using my L2TP U.S. VPN connection in Los Angeles via my 5 GHz ASUS router, I got downloads of:

Netflix Fast -- 58 Mbps

AT&T U.S. -- 67 Mbps

TestMy San Fran -- 19-29 Mbps

Part of the reason for the slower results for the TestMy rates in all of the above tests is TestMy by default uses a single stream test, whereas AFAIK, both the Netflix Fast and AT&T U.S. sites are using multiple threaded testing. The TestMy results more closely approximate what you'd get with video streaming, which typically is single threaded.

So then, I wanted to test things in a real life example, so I got a chance to use a newly acquired Sony UHD 4K-HDR TV at home:

When I connected the Sony TV's 2.4 GHz wifi to my 3BB 2.4 GHz router wifi with a regular Thai IP, I was able to stream 4K video just fine on the TV both via the YouTube app on the TV and via a Roku Premiere+ streaming Amazon Prime 4K content. In both cases, the stream rate was running about 25 Mbps.

1428689180_Roku4KStreamsAmPrime4Kvia3BBWifi1.jpg.c99531b8b6dba9b9e6ca1182a6a4d27f.jpg

837105129_Roku4KStreamsYT4Kvia3BBat25Mbps2.jpg.7abfff84c8cd31945e4ca4ed2ca07d09.jpg

But when I used the 4K capable Roku Premiere+ attached to the TV to connect to my ASUS router's Los Angeles-based VPN via a 5 GHz wifi connection, the YouTube 4K content paused and stuttered frequently and only showed throughput of 4-5 Mbps.

2081697287_Roku4KAmazonPrimeStutters4Konlygets5MbpsviaAstrill1.jpg.004a280110e11da1cb17346987711ee2.jpg

426376306_Roku4KAmazonPrimeStutters4Konlygets5MbpsviaAstrill2.jpg.ee5e28659dec468890218b4e120cd879.jpg

So, I guess the next step, is to try the U.S. VPN connection via an ethernet hardwired connection between my ASUS router and Sony 4K UHD TV, and see if it's the wifi connection that's slowing things, or the U.S. VPN that's doing that.

• 2 months later...

3BB started stringing fiber in my western Bangkok moobaan today.  Talking to crew stringing the fiber they will be done/activate service in about a month.  This means my moobaan will have 3BB Fiber, AIS Fibre, True DOCSIS (cable),  and TOT Fiber (they installed fiber about 6 months ago).

When I first moved to this western Bangkok moobaan a little over 10 years ago, my only choice was TOT ADSL at a blazing 2Mb speed....a few years later they upgraded that to 6Mb ADSL speed---wow. 

But then True Cable came in 2011 offering up to 100Mb plans....now plans up to 1Gb speed...I switched from TOT ADSL to True Cable.   

Then in mid 2015 I think it was when AIS Fibre came....I switched to them and I'm still with them.  Been very happy especially since they also have TV packages which include things like HBO movie channels and other premium and low cost TV packages.

TOT Fiber will probably never get my business until they offer something significantly better than AIS Fiber which probably won't be this lifetime.

3BB Fiber has a good fiber internet reputation but until they offer combined internet, TV, and SIM packages better than AIS Fibre I will be staying with AIS Fibre.

But it's nice to have a lot of high speed internet choices now.

I really upset the true people, they came to collect their box for sattelite and cable

I held it to ransom with security guards watching on as I convinced them to remove their sattelite crap, badly installed fibre and other associtated crap, 

then phoned up true to say if they can compete with ais on quality of fibre service etc I will take them back

very upset true workers, probably nothing to do with them, but I feel I am being thai when I am getting one over people here in a petty manner

I like to think I just won a game of face

3BB started stringing fiber in my western Bangkok moobaan today.  Talking to crew stringing the fiber they will be done/activate service in about a month.  This means my moobaan will have 3BB Fiber, AIS Fibre, True DOCSIS (cable),  and TOT Fiber (they installed fiber about 6 months ago).

When I first moved to this western Bangkok moobaan a little over 10 years ago, my only choice was TOT ADSL at a blazing 2Mb speed....a few years later they upgraded that to 6Mb ADSL speed---wow. 

But then True Cable came in 2011 offering up to 100Mb plans....now plans up to 1Gb speed...I switched from TOT ADSL to True Cable.   

Then in mid 2015 I think it was when AIS Fibre came....I switched to them and I'm still with them.  Been very happy especially since they also have TV packages which include things like HBO movie channels and other premium and low cost TV packages.

TOT Fiber will probably never get my business until they offer something significantly better than AIS Fiber which probably won't be this lifetime.

3BB Fiber has a good fiber internet reputation but until they offer combined internet, TV, and SIM packages better than AIS Fibre I will be staying with AIS Fibre.

But it's nice to have a lot of high speed internet choices now.

There are several ISPs in our neighborhood too. I'm not thinking of switching but the presence of those competitors should help to keep AIS honest.

• 3 months later...

I've tried reading the more recent posts, but I can't seem to figure out a simple answer: what's best in early 2019? I live in BTS Chong Nonsi in a new condo on Nardhiwat (Nara 9 condo)... I have AIS fiber and it's shit... it's DSL, not fiber (maybe fibre to the building... maybe). Terrible, and capped at 50Mbps these days.

My contract is up and I'm ready to switch. Is 3BB or True any better?

2 hours ago, cmiller11101 said:

I've tried reading the more recent posts, but I can't seem to figure out a simple answer: what's best in early 2019? I live in BTS Chong Nonsi in a new condo on Nardhiwat (Nara 9 condo)... I have AIS fiber and it's shit... it's DSL, not fiber (maybe fibre to the building... maybe). Terrible, and capped at 50Mbps these days.

Sounds like your building is only outfitted with DSL/phone line built into it which means the fiber connection only goes to the ground floor where it's then converted to a DSL signal....and DSL max speed is going to be in the 50-100Mb ball park depending on the quality/condition of the DSL wiring/switches within your building. 

Even switching to 3BB or True (if they even service your building) probably wouldn't help as they to would be using DSL for the final X-meters to your residence.  You need to fine out if "fiber" can be run all the way to your residence on floor number so-and-so and what ISPs service your building.

19 hours ago, cmiller11101 said:

Sounds like the developer wanted to save a few hundred baht per condo unit and didn't install fiber lines going to the rooms. If that's the case you can only get DSL, probably not much difference between different providers. If you need faster Internet you probably have to move to a condo which has fiber lines going to the rooms.

It seems to be getting harder than ever to keep up with the new/revised internet packages, speeds, and add-ons like mobile SIM and TV/movie packages.

For example, I'm with AIS Fibre and have a combo package from them that provides internet, mobile SIM, premium TV package, Wifi, etc.  Seems like every 6 months or so they come out with  new combo packages that are cheaper and better than my current package.   Seems I can't get thru my 12 month contract before a revised package comes out that is better and cheaper which makes me want to immediately change packages before my current contract is up.  And fortunately, AIS will allow you to change before your 12 months is up even if they lose money but as long as you are upgrading to a faster speed.

Tonight I just got off the phone with AIS where I upgraded my current combo package (I'm 9 months thru the 12 month contract) which doubles my upload speed from 50Mb to 100Mb (my 200Mb download speed remains unchanged) and my unlimited data SIM changes from 4Mb max speed to full 4G speed up to 20GB per month (more than enough GBs in how I use this SIM in a tablet)....then all the other stuff related to the old and new package are the same....when the dust settles I get this for Bt100 less for month that what I'm paying now.   So, I'm getting more & faster capability for less cost...can't complain about that.

Yeap, just a dizzying array of packages now offered by AIS Fibre...go to below webpage and click on the "Packages" selection.  Of course to take advantage of some of the packages you need to be able to get fiber "all the way to your residence/router" versus the final X-meters needing to be over DSL/phone lines.  I do get fiber all the way to my house.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Another new upgrade from AIS - the 200/100 Power Maxx package is now 300/100.

Also note that HomePlus package (broadband + TV) is now 699 for 200/100 for Serenade customers. If you have a product or service from AIS you probably also have Serenade.

6 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Another new upgrade from AIS - the 200/100 Power Maxx package is now 300/100.

Also note that HomePlus package (broadband + TV) is now 699 for 200/100 for Serenade customers. If you have a product or service from AIS you probably also have Serenade.

Durn...and just a few days ago at the start of my billing month I upgraded from Power4Max 200/50 to Power4Maxx 200/100 package (which actually gives me around 235/110Mb speed).  Now the 200/100 Power4Maxx package is not even shown...been replaced by the 300/100 package.  But I do notice one other change where the SIM for the 200/100 package provides 20GB per month full 4G/3G speed the 300/100 package has dropped that down to 15GB.    15GB is still more than enough per month for the tablet I use the SIM in.  Also, instead of a 12 months free movie package it's only 6 months.  So, the upped the download speed while dropping the SIM data from 20GB ot 15GB and free movie package from 12 to 6 months.

So, I guess I contact AIS Fibre and say "Hey, just a few days ago I upgrade to the Power4Maxx 200/100 package at Bt999/month...now a few days latter the package is no longer available because you are now offer 300/100 at the same Bt999.    A person just can't keep up with the new/revised AIS Fibre packages.

But I'm not going to lose much sleep over this is because I pretty much operate via Wifi connection within my house and achieving 300Mb speed via Wifi where I use my devices isn't going to be possible with some of my devices due to their specs, distance/obstructions between the devices and the router, etc. And the few devices that use ethernet connection like my Playboxes and VOIP devices, which only need around 25Mb speed to stream 4K and around 128Kb for VOIP.  Around 275Mb via Wifi is about the best I can consistently get in my home for my main devices (laptops/smartphones/tablets) based on where I use them (which is not close to the router).  

3bb seems to have also upgraded their packages:

1690330291_3bbnewinfinitefiberplans.png.36885fdabf8ffb67fb0051030390df18.png

https://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/2 

I originally noticed when I was walking in front of the 3bb office and they had taped number over the old signage with bigger numbers.   When I came back home, I ran a speedtest.  

Before I was already getting 100D/35U on the 50D/20U package (590 baht).

Now I am getting 190D/120U .  Same 590 baht package.

International to new york I am getting 95D/120U.

I wonder what you get now with the 250 baht package?

As far as I know, the fiber modem rental is still free along with all the necessary fiber cable....and it's actually a decent modem (out of necessity??).

I have not regretted moving to fiber.  And I helped move several of my friends to it.   They all thanked me after the act as being way better than ADSL.

edit:  prices are better also.   YMMV with service depending on the area, but in Chumphon 3bb has been fantastic.

13 hours ago, Pib said:

But I do notice one other change where the SIM for the 200/100 package provides 20GB per month full 4G/3G speed the 300/100 package has dropped that down to 15GB.    15GB is still more than enough per month for the tablet I use the SIM in.  Also, instead of a 12 months free movie package it's only 6 months.  So, the upped the download speed while dropping the SIM data from 20GB ot 15GB and free movie package from 12 to 6 months.

It's very hard to keep track of what they offer. This tweaking of packages seems like a constant testing for revenue, but it's a nightmare for consumers who notice all the changes.

It's very hard to keep track of what they offer. This tweaking of packages seems like a constant testing for revenue, but it's a nightmare for consumers who notice all the changes.
I'm not sure that I'd call internet service continually getting faster & cheaper a nightmare.

I gave them a call to change from my power4 100/300 to the 200/100 package. I hadn't noticed that the new package didn't come with a SIM with unlimited internet. Anyway, when the CSR informed me that there wasn't any SIM included, I decided to stay with my old package. 

After about 15 minutes I got a call from AIS Fibre customer service that offered a 50% discount on my existing package for 12 months. 

My existing 100/30 package is actually quite fast enough for what I use it for. 

Maybe you should try giving them a call and ask for a discount. There's plenty competition out there now. 

YMMV

The good thing about 3bb is that, based on my experience, they are the only company that proactively upgrade customers packages/speeds to the pricing level they are paying if and when they offer better promotion.

For example, I was on their 1,200 baht 200/100 MBit package and they upgraded my package this week to the matching new 1,200 baht 500/500 Mbit package without even notifying me or waiting for me to call them.

I wish other Thai ISPs did the same.

50 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

The good thing about 3bb is that, based on my experience, they are the only company that proactively upgrade customers packages/speeds to the pricing level they are paying if and when they offer better promotion.

For example, I was on their 1,200 baht 200/100 MBit package and they upgraded my package this week to the matching new 1,200 baht 500/500 Mbit package without even notifying me or waiting for me to call them.

They haven't with our package. I pay 900 baht for 150/50 so I should be getting 300/300 ?

Correction according to the 3bb app we are indeed on the 300/300 package but alas the 3bb speed test reads 150/50.

16 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

They haven't with our package. I pay 900 baht for 150/50 so I should be getting 300/300 ?

Correction according to the 3bb app we are indeed on the 300/300 package but alas the 3bb speed test reads 150/50.

Might take a few days to update for all customers, or just a restart of your 3bb router/equipment?

49 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

I been with AIS almost 3 years now and they have yet to do that...at least for me.   However, but, they have been coming out with faster/better/cheaper package so often that I have yet to make it thru a 12 month contract before upgrading to a faster/better/cheaper package which restarts my 12 month contract clock.   One thing that's good about AIS is as long as you are upgrading to a faster package you can upgrade before your 12 months is up even if upgrading to the new package that is lower cost than your current package which is what I just did a couple weeks ago. 

But as I mentioned earlier over the last week or so they came out with revised package that has a faster download speed but a little less SIM data (15GB vs 20GB) and a short length Movie package (6 vs 12 months).   Since I have the Platinum TV package add-on (which includes the Movie package) for another Bt599/mo and since a person "can not" have two TV packages at the same time (like Movie and Platinum packages) I can't use the Movie package which the AIS rep has to strip from my plan in order for me to keep the Platinum package.   I'm OK with that, but it's just an example of how a person might not be able to take full advantage cost-wise some of the AIS combo packages of internet, SIM, and TV/movie packages. 

1 minute ago, Pib said:

One thing that's good about AIS is as long as you are upgrading to a faster package you can upgrade before your 12 months is up even if upgrading to the new package that is lower cost than your current package which is what I just did a couple weeks ago. 

Based on my experience, that's also the case with every ISP in Thailand (True, TOT, 3BB etc.), as long as you don't terminate the contract and just upgrade the package they accept that.

22 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

You may want to try turning off the modem/router for 5 minutes.  When I very recently upgraded my AIS Fibre package from 200/50 to 200/100 when the SMSs arrived saying the upgrade is complete, I did some speed tests and was still getting 200/50.  I rebooted the router and it didn't help.  I then turned the router off for approx 30 seconds and it still didn't help.  But then I turned it off for about 5 minutes and now I had the 200/100 speed. 

In some AIS SMSs they sometimes say if having a problem like after some AIS Fibre maintenance/system wide upgrade has supposedly occurred and if having a speed problem to turn the router off for 5 minutes and give it another try.   Apparently a few seconds or a minute or two is not long enough in some cases.

4 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

That no longer read 150/50, but 200+/50, but I am wondering - are you connected wired (with a LAN cable) or wireless (wi-fi)? Also, what is your 3bb equipment/modem/router model?

that's a wireless 5g connection from my labtop . bit busy at the moment so only turned the huawei router off for few seconds. I will try a lan cable later.

Thanks every body for all your suggestions.

3 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Yes, that's been 3BB's habit in the past. You keep paying the same amount for the monthly bill, and when they bump up their plan speeds, they typically do it without even necessarily informing the customer.

Same with the current episode. After reading the 3BB news here, I called and checked with 3BB and they informed me they are "in the process" of upgrading my 1200b per month 200/100 Mbps plan to the new 500/500 Mbps plan, but the CSR over the phone couldn't give me any even guesstimated timing of when the speed bump for me as a BKK customer is supposed to occur. They promised to call back when they know more.

Archived