McGarrett Instant Oats.

NoshowJones

I have been eating McGarretts Instant Oats almost every morning for the last eight years, using three heaped

tablespoonfuls mixed with milk and water. Turned out exactly they same way since then without fail.

Now, after the porridge has been cooked, it is very watery, at first I though it was a fault with the microwave oven,

I have another microwave oven in a small room built on to the house, and it is exactly the same.

I am wondering if it is the manufactures way of  hiding a price increase. I am now using about three and a half

heaped teaspoonfuls to get the original effect. Anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jaiyenyen said:

Are you sure you're not using a slightly smaller tablespoon?   :sorry:

That was the first thing I looked at. Nothing has changed in the way I made it over the years, I am really puzzled about this.:crying:

I would recommend you to try Hahne oat , the blue package. Only 50 baht and imported from Germany, best oat porridge I found here. Just need 2-3 minutes in the microwave (small leafs). 

39 minutes ago, balo said:

I would recommend you to try Hahne oat , the blue package. Only 50 baht and imported from Germany, best oat porridge I found here. Just need 2-3 minutes in the microwave (small leafs). 

If you think Hahne good, try the original : Scott's Porage Oats - superb   :thumbsup:

Oddly I had exactly the same problem with the last lot of McGarrett rolled oats I bought a month ago at Makro and ended up throwing them away - been eating same oats, same way every morning for years.

6 hours ago, balo said:

I will take a note of that, where do you buy it?

6 hours ago, Orac said:

Oddly I had exactly the same problem with the last lot of McGarrett rolled oats I bought a month ago at Makro and ended up throwing them away - been eating same oats, same way every morning for years.

Do you think it may be a hidden price increase to get you to use more oats?

Do you think it may be a hidden price increase to get you to use more oats?

Doubtful - they just didn't soak up the milk so so were still hard and not nice to eat. Maybe just a bad batch if that is possible.

Have switched to the Hahne Haferflocken big leaf ones and they are fine.

I have noticed over the last year or so that both Makro and Big C have run out of oats from some brands regularly so i end up switching between Quaker, McGarrett and Hahne fairly often anyway.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I will take a note of that, where do you buy it?

Most  supermarkets , Tesco , Big C, Friendship.   The green type is not suited for microwave so you need to buy the blue one. 2-3 minutes and it's ready. 

I had exactly the same problem with McGarrett.  The kernels have a harder surface than previously and don't absorb water the way they should.  Fortunately, TOPS now carries steel-cut oats which have more flavor, although they have to be cooked for 20 min. on the stovetop, not microwaved.  Bye bye, McGarrett.

2 hours ago, balo said:

Most  supermarkets , Tesco , Big C, Friendship.   The green type is not suited for microwave so you need to buy the blue one. 2-3 minutes and it's ready. 

Thanks a lot, I will look for it next time I go to the city, but funny how I never noticed it before.

I can only assume it's quite new.

9 hours ago, Orac said:

Doubtful - they just didn't soak up the milk so so were still hard and not nice to eat. Maybe just a bad batch if that is possible.

Have switched to the Hahne Haferflocken big leaf ones and they are fine.

I have noticed over the last year or so that both Makro and Big C have run out of oats from some brands regularly so i end up switching between Quaker, McGarrett and Hahne fairly often anyway.

They were still nice to eat but very runny, and not hard.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:15 PM, possum1931 said:

I am wondering if it is the manufactures way of  hiding a price increase.

My money's on this. Maybe they  changed something in the processing. Not so much a price iincrease but effectively the same. Same price but cheaper production costs.

I bought some rolled oats in Villa a couple of weeks ago which turned out to be on a 2 for 1 offer.  They have the same problem so I assume that Villa are disposing of their stock.

These were manufactured on 31/8/16.  Does anybody know whether the later batches now on sale are OK?

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot, I will look for it next time I go to the city, but funny how I never noticed it before.

I can only assume it's quite new.

Actually they have been on the market for at least 5 years. 

When I moved here I  tried different types of oat suitable for microwave and I ended up with Hahne. In my opinion best quality for the money . 

4008569001014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought another brand of oats, not Hahne, name escapes me, it was in Tops, and they were perfect, only used three heaped tablespoonfuls where I had to use four with McGarretts, so it seems like a hidden price increase from McGarretts as until recently I only used three.

Can nobody help me with Julies Oat 25. they are lovely oat biscuits, or can anybody tell me of another brand of oat biscuits?

Archived