Good/Excellent VPN

CFC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Rob, Whats the speed reduction like, say for example I have 50mbps. If i use expressvpn roughly on average what could I expect?

I was looking at getting a VPN. Most are about $30- $50 a year. I dont mind spending $100 a year if I can find a really good/excellent VPN were my internet speed isnt really slowed down. Anyone recommend one?

I've been using these guys. 100 bucks a year. No complaints.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

There are many thing which reduce the speed, for example distance, gateways, traffic jam, time on the day. It's not only the vpn provider. I have tried some and I think everyone have speed problems sometimes. Always when your are looking some excitement...

Skickat från min Redmi Note 4 via Tapatalk

11 hours ago, hemskasven01 said:

There are many thing which reduce the speed, for example distance, gateways, traffic jam, time on the day. It's not only the vpn provider. I have tried some and I think everyone have speed problems sometimes. Always when your are looking some excitement...

Yes,  there is a definite slow down between using the VPN and not. But it's less at different times . Also there are a list of options for different servers you can choose from. At different times some are faster than others. So you can switch between them.

5 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Yes,  there is a definite slow down between using the VPN and not. But it's less at different times . Also there are a list of options for different servers you can choose from. At different times some are faster than others. So you can switch between them.

I contacted expressvpn via there online chat facility, they said on average I will get a 50% reduction on speed. Have you found this to be the case, I have got fast internet so this wouldnt be a problem 

1 hour ago, CFC said:

I contacted expressvpn via there online chat facility, they said on average I will get a 50% reduction on speed. Have you found this to be the case, I have got fast internet so this wouldnt be a problem 

I'd say thats a fair estimate. At times it's not very noticeble, other times it's painfully slow. When it's slow usually you can change servers til you find a good one. 

The number of servers which unblock Netflix is not really extensive but quite limited so changing servers isnt that easy as Rob13 states. The best I tried was Smart DNS which might work one day but not another. The speed was ok. After a while it went to 720p sometimes 1080p but mostly 480p. But not worth 12.99 a month. After testing it for 2 weeks I cancelled and got my refund. All in all .. I still love downloading at 25MBs with my 200mb 3bb connection. You still keep all the original series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 2:02 PM, CFC said:

It depends on what ISP you're using.

If it's True cable or 3BB fiber, then chances are using a VPN will actually improve your international internet speeds.

If you're using AIS fiber, the speeds with and without VPN should be about the same.

But either way, if you have a good ISP connection here and pick the correct intermediary, it's definitely possible to have a good international connection.

VPN Speed 1.jpg

VPN Speed 2.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Express VPN and Pure VPN is the 2 best alternatives. It´s just a question of a price you would like to pay. 

Just as a desert after the hot plate. You are never going to be safe with any choice of VPN, just a little bit safer. that just going to mean that you are probably not the first in line that they are going to look for.

As everyone should be aware of that information tranferred trough Internet is always going to be listed and searchable somewhere. Even if you own a cloud in the sky. So, why just don´t take the chance. It´s about same chance that they find a person looking at a downloaded movie, like winning the lottery. You are invisible becuase you are not the cause of the problem.

16 hours ago, JSixpack said:

https://deals.neowin.net/sales/ivacy-vpn-2-year-plan

2 years $29 on sale, good rating. Check it out.

Ivacy is offering a similar but very slightly more expensive deal, I believe $39 for two years, direct from their own site. One difference, however, is a direct Ivacy purchase has a 7 day money back guarantee, whereas I'm not sure Neowin offers anything comparable.

Whenever subscribing to a new VPN service, ideally, you'd want to at least try before you buy.

Be careful of VPN's out of countries with a penchant for restriction and censorship.  It seems there is yet another VPN provider out of Hong Kong every week, with ridiculously cheap rates, like US$50 for a lifetime subscription.

Not sure why you raised the Hong Kong issue here, right now.

But re the couple of posts prior to yours, AFAICT...

--Ivacy is based out of Singapore

--Pure VPN appears to be based in Hong Kong, but FWIW, has gotten pretty good usage reviews from some active users here on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 11:11 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ivacy is offering a similar but very slightly more expensive deal, I believe $39 for two years, direct from their own site. One difference, however, is a direct Ivacy purchase has a 7 day money back guarantee, whereas I'm not sure Neowin offers anything comparable.

Whenever subscribing to a new VPN service, ideally, you'd want to at least try before you buy.

I gave Ivacy a try today, took out their 2 year discounted plan, knowing they have a 7 day money back refund when you purchase from them directly (as opposed to buying thru a 3rd party site like Neowin) as long as you don't go over 7 GB used or 30 connections, whichever one comes first.

Overall, I can't say I'd recommend them. I tried many of their VPN protocols (PPTP, L2TP and Open VPN) and different locations and server types focused on connections to the U.S. And most of the time, their VPN connection speeds to the U.S. were running 2 to 2.5 Mbps from BKK on a Sat night here.

That's considerably slower than what I get now with my current VPN provider for U.S. connections with my 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber plan. Also, there were a few other negatives: they have a specific supposed Netflix US server, which didn't successfully allow use of Netflix U.S. when I tried it several times, even after clearing the cache on my PC. And every time I tried their Open VPN protocol using their Windows app, it wouldn't connect at all.

Followed up tonight by taking a 3-day trial of Pure VPN for $2.50 non-refundable.

For me, much better speed performance than Ivacy. And Pure worked as it was supposed to work, most of the time, in terms of providing access to the specific streaming services it promises to provide access to.

Overall, in the late evening Sat and early Sun, I was getting between 10 and 15 Mbps connection speeds with their PPTP protocol to various U.S. cities like L.A., San Fran. and Seattle. Tried connecting to Singapore a couple of times, but it failed and timed out each time.

By comparison, however, right after I tested Pure's L.A. server again about 1:30 am and got speeds repeatedly right around 10 Mbps, I immediately thereafter tested my current VPN provider's L.A. server and got speeds of 26 to 34 Mbps --  with everything else remaining the same.  And all of above measured by TestMy.Net's speedtest site and their corresponding server city.

Right now, Pure is having another promotion of 2 years service for $59.99, which is a good value deal. They're calling it buy 1 year and get one year free. I might consider it if my current VPN provider doesn't offer any renewal specials over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period when my current account expires.

Two quirks I encountered with Pure's service:

1. The Windows app downloaded from their website repeatedly failed to install on my Win 10 PC, always hung at the end with a reference about installing "stealth drivers."  Contacted their tech support, and they gave me a different download link with a different app version to try, and it worked fine first time out.

2  When you sign up for an account with Pure, you do so by giving them an email address and creating a password that you can use to log-into their website. But those are NOT the credentials you must use to log into their VPN app. They email you separate/different ID and password to log into their VPN -- something they didn't really make clear during the signup process.

Two quick updates on Pure:

1. I didn't see any 3-day, $2.50 trial offered on Pure's website. But I was offered that when I talked to them via live chat to ask about their refund policy and 7 day money back guarantee.

2. When I went back to their website early this morning, the two year $60 promotion was gone and had been replaced by a 1 year $72 plan, not nearly as good a deal. I suspect, the $60, two year plan will be offered again sometime during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday week period. Or perhaps I need to clear my browser cookies and see if their site then yields the original pricing offer.

On 11/8/2016 at 0:34 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure why you raised the Hong Kong issue here, right now.

I get email offers from Sourceforge, lately a lot of them are VPNs out of China/Hong Kong.  Regardless of the reviews and prices it sounds like a bad idea.

If a company goes out of business say bye-bye to the lifetime subscription.  Quite easy to shut down the servers and use them to start a new company.  And there's nothing you can do about it.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Two quick updates on Pure:

1. I didn't see any 3-day, $2.50 trial offered on Pure's website. But I was offered that when I talked to them via live chat to ask about their refund policy and 7 day money back guarantee.

2. When I went back to their website early this morning, the two year $60 promotion was gone and had been replaced by a 1 year $72 plan, not nearly as good a deal. I suspect, the $60, two year plan will be offered again sometime during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday week period. Or perhaps I need to clear my browser cookies and see if their site then yields the original pricing offer.

There is currently  a PureVPN lifetime package available for US$69.  Just now the page says "Ending In: 7 days,"  but I think it said that last week when I bookmarked it?

That said, however...

For the past couple days a friend and I (both in Hua Hin, if that's a factor) have had a devil of a time connecting to the Singapore PureVPN location which is the one giving the fastest throughput to/from the USA.  Hopefully a temporary glitch.