May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

So what do you suggest was in the letter that enabled Goshn to invest billions? Was it a night out with May? Come on, get a grip....

I'll suggest that what was in the letter was what both the government and Nissan have said was in it. But you and other remainers appear to know differently. Yes, some people do need to get a grip, instead of arguing along the lines of: 'It had to have happened that way because I think it did'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

I'll suggest that what was in the letter was what both the government and Nissan have said was in it. But you and other remainers appear to know differently. Yes, some people do need to get a grip, instead of arguing along the lines of: 'It had to have happened that way because I think it did'.

Indeed.

One of them should post a verifiable, independent source thereby sharing the knowledge with us all.

Or stop trolling with their unsubstantiated claims.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Not a currency expert but I would expect some volatility depending on the outcome.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/high-court-parliament-brexit-theresa-may-chief-justice?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That will only be a problem if the court finds against the government. I would guess the court will find in favour of the government.  

However the BoE rates minutes are due at midday UK time and this will move currency markets. We might even see the GBP move higher. If Trump wins the US elections, the GBP will go higher so interesting few days ahead! 

21 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Indeed.

One of them should post a verifiable, independent source thereby sharing the knowledge with us all.

Accuse me off trolling again and I will have you suspended

I understand that the famous letter is to be disclosed to parliament

Until then, the matter is closed as far as I am concerned.

24 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Indeed.

Some posters are trying very hard to create a discussion myth about the Nissan issue. And their behaviour is understandable: a few weeks ago, Nissan pulling out of the UK was one of remain's marquee arguments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Some posters are trying very hard to create a discussion myth about the Nissan issue. And their behaviour is understandable: a few weeks ago, Nissan pulling out of the UK was one of remain's marquee arguments.

Here we go again, the old double act act at work ... please show proof and citations ... if you can't then it must not be true! And if you can we'll ignore them anyway.

It looks like the UK Government strategy is to give "assurances" to large companies like Nissan ... but KH's argument is that Nissan did it of their own free will, irrespective of whether the UK remain/retain free access to the single market or not? So how did the Government persuade them? Did it tell them that everything would be okay, not to worry? Or did it tell them that if things turn out to Nissan's disadvantage they will compensate them in some way? As their CEO previously asked for. I suspect the latter, as the former makes no sense whatsoever. Did the CEO just change his mind? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Nicely put ?

Now here is a poster who has made errors himself, on more than one occasion and then offer sarcasm. What a hypocrite you are.

If you look I edited it (post 604) knowing someone like yourself or Chang mai would jump on the opportunity, as you have before. Sums you two up.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Add Vince Cable's name to an over growing list of people who are able to foresee what's in store for UK Plc if we remain on the current path - the part about the shrunken economy in dollar terms was quoted many times before the vote as scaremongering, big sigh:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/sir-vince-cable-british-economy-will-turn-nasty-next-year-says-man-who-predicted-2008-economic-crash-a7394316.html

41 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

That will only be a problem if the court finds against the government. I would guess the court will find in favour of the government.  

However the BoE rates minutes are due at midday UK time and this will move currency markets. We might even see the GBP move higher. If Trump wins the US elections, the GBP will go higher so interesting few days ahead! 

Looks like you might just have called it correct.

The pound rose for a fifth day before a court rules on whether Prime Minister Theresa May can trigger the U.K.’s exit from the European Union without a vote in parliament.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-03/pound-gains-before-brexit-court-ruling-boe-policy-announcement

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Add Vince Cable's name to an over growing list of people who are able to foresee what's in store for UK Plc if we remain on the current path - the part about the shrunken economy in dollar terms was quoted many times before the vote as scaremongering, big sigh:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/sir-vince-cable-british-economy-will-turn-nasty-next-year-says-man-who-predicted-2008-economic-crash-a7394316.html

From your link

Recent economic growth and reassurances over sterling value may have led Britain into a false sense of calm, but living standards are being cut and longer-term problems are imminent, he warned.

Newsflash.

This has been going on for the last 25 years at least in the UK.

I will even tell you when it started.

When pay increases changed to a % rather than a straight fixed amount £ increase. Those that needed the most got the least and those earning the most, surprising enough, got more than everyone. The start of the ever widening gulf in pay.

Nothing new here from Vince Cable, has he got a new book due for release soon ?

Nobody really knows . . . 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-immigration-uk-freedom-movement-myths-eu-referendum-theresa-may-amber-rudd-a7393136.html#gallery

Kristin Forbes

American economist and an external member of the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of England argues that the economy had been “less stormy than many expected” following the shock referendum result: “For now…the economy is experiencing some chop, but no tsunami. The adverse winds could quickly pick up – and merit a stronger policy response. But recently they have shifted to a more favourable direction” 

3 minutes ago, MJP said:

That's what I was thinking. Imagine the ups and downs during the negotiations.

Markets said initially that 1.20 was the floor, subsequently many large players suggested parity is possible although I doubt that would be for very long, if at all - so somewhere between today, 1.23 and say 1.10 seems like a stable longer term base perhaps, dunno. But as sure as eggs is eggs, it isn't going to be 1.60.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

From your link

Newsflash.

When pay increases changed to a % rather than a straight fixed amount £ increase. Those that needed the most got the least and those earning the most, surprising enough, got more than everyone. The start of the ever widening gulf in pay.

What's new here Rock is that Vince is referring to a shrunken economy, a lowering of GDP in pretty much one fell swoop rather than a gradual erosion of it over time, they're two very different things. And if you add to that the inflationary impact of devaluation of the Pound, the life of the consumer in going forward is potentially going to be painful, not the phony war we see at present but real hardship - remember, stagflation plays a major role in all this.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

What's new here Rock is that Vince is referring to a shrunken economy, a lowering of GDP in pretty much one fell swoop rather than a gradual erosion of it over time, they're two very different things. And if you add to that the inflationary impact of devaluation of the Pound, the life of the consumer in going forward is potentially going to be painful, not the phony war we see at present but real hardship - remember, stagflation plays a major role in all this.

It might be coming to a head but it is certainly not new.

This has been coming to Rip Off Britain for a long time.

The bubble is just about to burst. I told you months ago, the best thing the UK can do is admit the problems, press the reset button and start again.

The longer the can is kicked down the road the more painful it will be when it finally slams against the wall.

Exactly the same with the EZ and the euro.

• Like 2

Joking aside:

One of the effects of a shrunken GDP is that there is less money to spend on benefits of any kind and even established "benefits" and other financial obligations are also likely to be shrunk.

Forget the source of the article for a moment and just read what it has to say because it's really quite thought provoking, especially the part about 2020:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2104818/pm-told-to-scrap-90-billion-a-year-state-pension-as-wealthy-oaps-benefit-most-from-unfair-welfare/

43 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

From your link

Newsflash.

And so the ridiculousness continues. Vince is aim this article at folks like you. Fortunately, we have people with a substantially better grasp of mathematics than you. Why not put Cable (not Vince) into a spreadsheet and do some data manipulation such as rolling averages and regressions. You will be amazed at the insights you will get. Seriously.

As for inequality, look at Gini coefficients by country. You think the Con Party are going to help? I wouldn't bet on it.

34 minutes ago, MJP said:

pork-pie-alamy.jpg

Brexit puts pork pies at threat, says Nick Clegg

Melton Mowbray pork pies are one of many UK foodstuffs with EU protected status which could be lost after Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-threat-to-pork-pies-a7392931.html

Protected EU status, eh? If people want pork pies they'll buy pork pies.

Such a philistine point of view!

"Protected Status" - is a big thing in the food and drink industry - Melton Pork Pies MUST be made in Melton, Stilton has to be made in a particular region, just the same as Champagne and Camembert....various foods arounds the UK have protected status and this preserves the quality and of  course the jobs of those who grow/make/sell it. it also contributes to tourism in the relevant areas.

It is a massively valuable collection of products (including Scottish Beef) if you have any doubt check out the wiki page.

List of foods with protected status

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Such a philistine point of view!

"Protected Status" - is a big thing in the food and drink industry - Melton Pork Pies MUST be made in Melton, Stilton has to be made in a particular region, just the same as Champagne and Camembert....various foods arounds the UK have protected status and this preserves the quality and of  course the jobs of those who grow/make/sell it. it also contributes to tourism in the relevant areas.

It is a massively valuable collection of products (including Scottish Beef) if you have any doubt check out the wiki page.

List of foods with protected status

Stop insulting me.