May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

For the benefit of some I will amend my previous statement.

"Everything hinges on a particular phrase, another one that effectively implies the single market."

and repeat post No 397.

"

Exactly, but there is more to it than the car industry.

The single market takes away the problems with the devolved administrations in particular the border in Ireland.

It also resolves 'passporting' for the financial sector and landing rights in the aviation sector.

It has been estimated that 5000 additional customs officers would be required in the event of a hard brexit, good for unemployment but not the taxpayer.

And the list goes on."

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a Brit but if I were, I would have certainly voted to get the country back. One other reason to vote out is that IMHO the Eu is doomed. The huge bureaucracy will sink of its own weight. The EU is worse than the UN.

I also suspect that the EU is somehow complicit in the weakening of the Pound. It may be a warning to other countries as to what will happen if they decide to jump off the sinking ship. 

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

This company wasn't interested if the analysts were right or wrong.

$17bn investment bank pulled every penny out of Britain because of Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/investment-bank-pulled-money-out-britain-because-of-brexit-carnegie-a7390356.html

As they had sold up everything about a month before the actual vote, when just about everyone was convinced that remain would win, it is highly unlikely that it can be attributed to brexit.

What is far more likely is this, from your link:

A separate survey of 83 money managers commissioned by NN Investment Partners revealed that Brexit and the potential breakup of the EU was deemed the biggest investment threat globally for the investors.

I have said it before and I will say it again. The EU is tottering on the edge of an abyss, the more that the UK can disentangle itself from the EU the better it will be for the UK.

But here is the absolute telling point:

He wouldn’t give the value of the assets sold.

It might have managed $17 Billion of assets, but that means nothing when he would not give the amount of assets held in the UK that were sold. What was it, a £ 10 quid Tesco's voucher ?

You might want to also check out Carnegies website, this from pre-referendum:

The future is always difficult to predict, but a possible UK withdrawal from the EU, ongoing difficulty in Greece and persistently expansionary central banks do not make it any easier

https://www.carnegie.se/en/funds/fund-managers-comments/these-are-exciting-times/

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

As a follow up to my previous post.

Hot off the press from the Pro EU Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/01/brexit-weekly-briefing-a-softer-eu-exit-could-yet-be-on-the-cards

The EU single market, which is decreasing in size annually is not the way forward.

FTA's are.

Is the EU market shrinking in absolute terms or as a % of our trade?

26 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Is the EU market shrinking in absolute terms or as a % of our trade?

Did not take long for my stalker to make an appearance.

If you actually tried reading instead of trolling and stalking, you would have seen this:

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

What is abundantly clear is that the EU market in World trade has halved in 30 years. The UK's trade with the EU has fallen almost 20% in the last 15 years.

It is time for change.

I am sure a poster of your self professed intellectual superiority can do your own research.

Now for the last time, stop stalking me.

4 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Did not take long for my stalker to make an appearance.

If you actually tried reading instead of trolling and stalking, you would have seen this:

I am sure a poster of your self professed intellectual superiority can do your own research.

Now for the last time, stop stalking me.

You just got reported.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

I'm not a Brit but if I were, I would have certainly voted to get the country back. One other reason to vote out is that IMHO the Eu is doomed. The huge bureaucracy will sink of its own weight. The EU is worse than the UN.

I also suspect that the EU is somehow complicit in the weakening of the Pound. It may be a warning to other countries as to what will happen if they decide to jump off the sinking ship. 

'Suspect this', 'suspect that'. Always a conspiracy theory to pop out when things go a bit pear-shaped. 'Its doomed I tell you!' Theresa May must get a bit of a headache from some of her ministers.

https://youtu.be/DoWtHqmITOM

It would appear that Lidl never received the Apocalypse Now memo.

German budget supermarket chain Lidl plans to create up to 400 jobs by pumping £55m into a new regional distribution centre.

The new warehouse in Southampton is the company's 10th regional distribution centre as it continues its expansion across the country. 

The firm announced in November last year that it planned to invest £1.5bn in the UK over three years to bolster the number of warehouses and stores.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/business-37801266

Yes the weak sterling is certainly helping U.K. Manufacturers and exporters but tell that to the average Brit who will sees constant rises in their daily life.

Was that in the Brexit plan?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37832578

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Stupid question!

We all known that, in their arrogance of expecting a different outcome,  the Remainian dominated conservative government did not have a Brexit plan.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

'Suspect this', 'suspect that'. Always a conspiracy theory to pop out when things go a bit pear-shaped. 'Its doomed I tell you!' Theresa May must get a bit of a headache from some of her ministers.

https://youtu.be/DoWtHqmITOM

Ah yes, conspiracy theories. Like the one created on this thread about the government secretly bribing Nissan.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

But of course, Lidl will invest. Now more than ever since the purchasing power of lower income Britons is expected to decline.

I suppose one could be equally facetious and point out that Lidl's strong customer base of Eastern European migrants is about to stagnate :coffee1:.

19 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Yes the weak sterling is certainly helping U.K. Manufacturers and exporters but tell that to the average Brit who will sees constant rises in their daily life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37832578

Fall in the value of Sterling was, so short answer: yes.

Fall in the value of Sterling was, so short answer: yes.

I must have been in Mars when Gove, Boris and Farage were telling people that the value of their currency would devalue by 20% and their food, fuel bills and foreign holidays would be more expensive.

2 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

I must have been in Mars when Gove, Boris and Farage were telling people that the value of their currency would devalue by 20% and their food, fuel bills and foreign holidays would be more expensive.

You must have been. Everybody predicted a fall in Sterling if brexit won the day. Remain were just a lot louder about it.

On 10/27/2016 at 9:05 AM, Srikcir said:

Thanks, that explains the drop in value of the GBP.

Thank you  ,  i  value  your  opinion .

The good  news is ,  Bank of england , will support and buy  Sterling , thx .

avoiding   the   humiliating   defeat of gbp .         Being on par   with Euro, is just not acceptable . 

40 bht   the new  norm .

We are saved . enjoy 555

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Then  they  had  different  motives ,,, time changes .

Political  profesionals , are motivated by  money.

Danuta Hübner, a former Polish minister who became the country’s first European commissioner, said it would not be possible for the UK to conclude a trade deal while still an EU member.

Now an MEP, she chairs the European parliament’s constitutional affairs committee, which will be responsible for vetting any post-Brexit free-trade agreement with the UK.

Read more

“Formally you cannot conclude or even negotiate the agreement that belongs to a third-country situation while you are still a member. Article 50 is only about withdrawal and only when you are out can [you] negotiate another agreement.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/01/liam-fox-pre-brexit-deal-setback-european-union

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Danuta Hübner, a former Polish minister who became the country’s first European commissioner, said it would not be possible for the UK to conclude a trade deal while still an EU member.

Now an MEP, she chairs the European parliament’s constitutional affairs committee, which will be responsible for vetting any post-Brexit free-trade agreement with the UK.

Read more

“Formally you cannot conclude or even negotiate the agreement that belongs to a third-country situation while you are still a member. Article 50 is only about withdrawal and only when you are out can [you] negotiate another agreement.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/01/liam-fox-pre-brexit-deal-setback-european-union

This backs up the point I raised in post 449.

" This approach has been voiced before and the opinion of some informed sources was that it cannot happen. It was the view that trade would not be included in the negotiations and that it must wait until the UK is out of the EU. The exit negotiations are primarily to wrap up admin processes such as outstanding payments, laws etc. "

It woulds appear that many are of the opinion that legalities have no part in the process and the UK can proceed any way it wants.

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It woulds appear that many are of the opinion that legalities have no part in the process and the UK can proceed any way it wants.

No Sandy,

I, and many others are of the opinion that that the UK and the EU should actually grow up and stop acting like spoiled children.

Here is the fact of the matter.

A50 invoked and the UK leaves the EU 2 years later.

If no trade deal has been negotiated then WTO Rules apply, this will cost the EU more than it costs the UK. Figures being reported are £ 13 Billion for the EU and £ 5 Billion for the UK.

It is in neither the UK's or the EU's interest to let this happen, so the wisest and best course of action to be taken in that 2 year divorce period is to negotiate like adults and thrash out a Trade Deal that is beneficial for both the UK and the EU.

I will throw this in for good measure. The threats from A-Holes in the EU will continue on an almost daily basis right up to the day that A50 is triggered. The narrative will then do a complete 180.

11 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I suppose one could be equally facetious and point out that Lidl's strong customer base of Eastern European migrants is about to stagnate :coffee1:.

Not being facetious at all. And given that there are about 65 million people in the uk, i think a drop in the standard of living for most of them outweighs any loss of the million Eastern Europeans who live there.

7 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

No Sandy,

I, and many others are of the opinion that that the UK and the EU should actually grow up and stop acting like spoiled children.

Here is the fact of the matter.

A50 invoked and the UK leaves the EU 2 years later.

If no trade deal has been negotiated then WTO Rules apply, this will cost the EU more than it costs the UK. Figures being reported are £ 13 Billion for the EU and £ 5 Billion for the UK.

It is in neither the UK's or the EU's interest to let this happen, so the wisest and best course of action to be taken in that 2 year divorce period is to negotiate like adults and thrash out a Trade Deal that is beneficial for both the UK and the EU.

I will throw this in for good measure. The threats from A-Holes in the EU will continue on an almost daily basis right up to the day that A50 is triggered. The narrative will then do a complete 180.

Some people also predicted that the pound would quickly rebound after Brexit.

Archived