May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

32 minutes ago, pegman said:

That the EU finance and insurance  industries moves to Frankfurt lock, stock and barrel has already started, FACT! It may take 5 years to complete but there is no chance of it not happening. That my friend will likely cause a depression let alone a recession. This is a very significant portion of the economy in London and England.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks-frankfurt-idUSKBN1811GA

Nope, it's not fact. Lock stock and barrel is pure speculation, and daft speculation at that. Here's my speculation: most businesses will move just about enough barrel to Europe to enable them to function in Europe.

• Like 1

That the UK's economy is growing faster than the Eurozone's is a FACT. That the UK's economy will slow down/go into recession is SPECULATION. And it's speculation that economic forecasters have been making for the last year, though they are now careful to say that this might happen, so as not to make fools out of themselves like they did last year and have to admit that they were wrong. Which is something you are clearly incapable of doing, in relation to your out-of-date info, and your inept attempt to spin your error into some anti-Murdoch nonsense.

A little known fact is people attempting to compare the Eurozone via the Pound when other factors not being taken into account, the research is purely available to re-educate the doubter's.

Although, in non LSE speak

EU combine '27' Eurozone countries 0.5%

V

'1' non Eurozone Country (UK) 0.3%

If the EU wants to rejoice in its own pointless propaganda way let it.

Fluctuation is part of the mechanism, June 24th 2016 rattled but settled soon after & lets not purely focus on media tripe rather than the fiscal facts and the economic industry will look after itself and its clients end of. It makes sense to have 'subsidiary' locations relocate within the EU but it is NOT a comprehensive relocation.

All this EU-UK tit for tat is increasingly becoming an embarrassment from the threat creators let alone irritating, the real business comes into affect post June 8th this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, shanesox said:

The UK economy is doing far better than EU's which is in "slow lane" Fact is the EU membership has proved a drag on UK economy. All indicators are the British economy will thrive outside that "outdated centralised bureaucratic 20th century club" so "way to go" in the wide world

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The EU economy is recovering (sorry to disappoint those that predicted imminent implosion) and the "fact" that you might want to consider is that the UK experienced the slowest economic growth between 1950 until joining the EU, and only experienced fast economic growth after joining the EU (faster than even Germany) ... so we're heading back to the future ... there's a reason that a country's biggest trading partners are their neighbours. Trade deals agreed in 2030 and beyond will not fill the gap. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pegman said:

That the EU finance and insurance  industries moves to Frankfurt lock, stock and barrel has already started, FACT! It may take 5 years to complete but there is no chance of it not happening. That my friend will likely cause a depression let alone a recession. This is a very significant portion of the economy in London and England.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks-frankfurt-idUSKBN1811GA

Its the clearing market that will likely move to EU and most definitely not the City of London.  It has not started yet.  It will likely take much longer than 5 years to complete as EU simply does not have the infrastructure..  Although it handles trillions of Euros worth of business, this is not actually generated income, any more than your debit card transaction can be added to a bank's income.  It's most definitely not a significant portion of the UK economy, and indeed its loss may just stall growth even if it goes in entirety.

The EU economy is recovering (sorry to disappoint those that predicted imminent implosion) and the "fact" that you might want to consider is that the UK experienced the slowest economic growth between 1950 until joining the EU, and only experienced fast economic growth after joining the EU (faster than even Germany) ... so we're heading back to the future ... there's a reason that a country's biggest trading partners are their neighbours. Trade deals agreed in 2030 and beyond will not fill the gap. 

2030 ? Haha ! Must be an EU Bureaucrat fantasy with fantasy numbers! To say from post WW2 until 1972 was slow economic growth and then "magic" joining EEC saved UK economy is more "fantasy"

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is the drunk clown that the Uk needs to negotiate with. He slaps elected national leaders across the face and calls the Hungarian PM a dictator while Donald Tusk looks on approvingly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But BoJo isn't a member here so I had to lift his words from the regular media. Anyway, the automated forum header clearly does NOT attribute his words to you. Clearly two separate quotes.

What? Post the whole, vacuous nonsense when it was only the pure essence of his misguided sentiments that I wish to illuminate? I mean, blaming the media?

I don't know what you are talking about but in post 4882 you quoted me as having said this

"honest, decent and principled"

which is totally unacceptable as it was an extract from something said by someone else.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Its the clearing market that will likely move to EU and most definitely not the City of London.  It has not started yet.  It will likely take much longer than 5 years to complete as EU simply does not have the infrastructure..  Although it handles trillions of Euros worth of business, this is not actually generated income, any more than your debit card transaction can be added to a bank's income.  It's most definitely not a significant portion of the UK economy, and indeed its loss may just stall growth even if it goes in entirety.

Looks like this guy agrees with you but of course their are those that will say he has no idea.

"The chief executive of Goldman Sachs has issued another scathing warning on the effects of Brexit, saying that the City of London will “stall” because of the risks associated with the process of the split."

"Asked whether London’s rapid expansion as a global financial hub in recent years could reverse as a result of Brexit, Mr Blankfein said that it “would stall” and “might backtrack a bit” but that it was unlikely to “totally reverse”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-goldman-sachs-cut-london-stall-leaving-eu-lloyd-blankfein-a7718876.html

1 hour ago, shanesox said:

2030 ? Haha ! Must be an EU Bureaucrat fantasy with fantasy numbers! To say from post WW2 until 1972 was slow economic growth and then "magic" joining EEC saved UK economy is more "fantasy"

perhaps you should do a little homework? takes less than a minute!

united-kingdom-gdp@2x.png?s=wgdpuk&v=201

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

these are services rendered for which fees are paid wich add to income and GDP.

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

Yes, true.

"Credit card companies make the bulk of their money from three things: interest, fees charged to cardholders and transaction fees paid by businesses that accept credit cards."

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-money/

(many other references)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Naam said:

Of course.

But my point is that the loss of revenue in no way is on the scale depicted.  That is to say not trillions. 

The City operates globally, and in a wide range of markets.

Yes there would be losses.  Yet it is not certain that much will change.  The business can't go anywhere else really, as Frankfurt does not have the scale, or infrastructure to cope. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Yes, true.

"Credit card companies make the bulk of their money from three things: interest, fees charged to cardholders and transaction fees paid by businesses that accept credit cards."

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-money/

(many other references)

Well of course the business is worth something, and will inevitably end up moving away from UK, but it's hardly the rock on which the City is built.

This article illustrates the complexity of the situation:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-01-13/goodbye-passport-hello-equivalence-brexit-banks-lower-sights

Note what Carney had to say: “If you rely on a jurisdiction for three-quarters of your hedging activity, more than three-quarters of your FX activity, half of your lending, half of your securities transactions, you should think very carefully about the transition from where you are today to where the new equilibrium will be,” Carney told lawmakers on Jan. 11.

EU is not in a position to take or leave it imo.

45 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well of course the business is worth something, and will inevitably end up moving away from UK, but it's hardly the rock on which the City is built.

This article illustrates the complexity of the situation:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-01-13/goodbye-passport-hello-equivalence-brexit-banks-lower-sights

Note what Carney had to say: “If you rely on a jurisdiction for three-quarters of your hedging activity, more than three-quarters of your FX activity, half of your lending, half of your securities transactions, you should think very carefully about the transition from where you are today to where the new equilibrium will be,” Carney told lawmakers on Jan. 11.

EU is not in a position to take or leave it imo.

There was also this in the same article:

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economist Andrew Benito predicted this month that both sides would come around to a deal in the end.

“That will involve some additional access being agreed between U.K. and EU markets in exchange for commitments being made to maintain financial sector regulations,” he said. “It is also likely to involve additional U.K. contributions to the EU budget.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

There was also this in the same article:

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economist Andrew Benito predicted this month that both sides would come around to a deal in the end.

“That will involve some additional access being agreed between U.K. and EU markets in exchange for commitments being made to maintain financial sector regulations,” he said. “It is also likely to involve additional U.K. contributions to the EU budget.”

copied from Naam's comments in TV-forum :laugh:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Naam said:

as i mentioned before... do some homework! ridiculous claims drawn from thin air only demonstrate ignorance.

http://www.inet.ox.ac.uk/news/Brexit

You are absolutely correct! I contend that many Brexiteers just don't have the facts; they just have disinformation spread by demagogues.

I used to describe these types with an N word but this distracted from the points I raised. Maybe dunderheeds is better?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You are absolutely correct! I contend that many Brexiteers just don't have the facts; they just have disinformation spread by demagogues.

I used to describe these types with an N word but this distracted from the points I raised. Maybe dunderheeds is better?

Oxford Dictionarys states:-

dunderhead

NOUN

informal 
  • A stupid person.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

The reason why the gamebird is on so many posters' ignore lists is because he is incabable of civil debate :coffee1:.

Yes I know, but I don't think I would ever block him, it amazes just how how an intellectual and a member of the Thaivisa brain drain can sound so superiour to everyone else, when they all sound like Private Fraser from Dads Army. We're all doomed!

• Like 2

Just now, Khun Han said:

The reason why the gamebird is on so many posters' ignore lists is because he is incabable of civil debate :coffee1:.

"he is incabable of civil debate " That is so funny coming from you.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Dunderheed is a Scottish term of endearment

You are wrong, the word is dunderhead, just because the Scots pronounce different, it is still dunderhead, an abusive remark!

21 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Lighten up man! I already ceased using the N word ( to avoid frightening the horses), which was a very mild term anyway. What term or collective noun would you suggest to describe people with strong views based on incorrect information and a lamentable grasp of history? Paltroons? "The intellectually challenged". I am not joking now. How can I express my true views? I don't really do PC; I'm from Yorkshire! I wish to have informed debate; I have absolutely no desire to insult anyone.