May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

6 minutes ago, aright said:

I can understand that it would be difficult for you to enjoy the 2017 European City of Culture.

Best stay in Surin, I spent 2 weeks there one weekend. :smile:

I very rarely go to Surin, they have a good dentist there and big C does some great baguettes, that's all I know about the place. European city of culture in England, sounds like an oxymoron, was it Hull or Liverpool ? 

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

UK and US cosumption rates are not comparable. Sorry.

Of course I agree, completely different places, but both have mountains of dept, the US military budget would be enough to feed the world..let alone bomb it. Crazy or what?

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I very rarely go to Surin, they have a good dentist there and big C does some great baguettes, that's all I know about the place. European city of culture in England, sounds like an oxymoron, was it Hull or Liverpool ? 

Last year Hull was; in 2018 it will be Valetta. In 2021 it was to be Coventry but I think the EU has said it can't be because we will no longer be in the EU. Over Xmas the BBC reviewed Hulls 12 mth celebration. I don't think its on youtube yet but well worth a see when it gets there. There were literally thousands of events from  dance to art to music throughout the city. One I personally saw was a circle of robots  (the swinging arm types you see on car assembly lines)  on the city square. They programmed and sequenced them to music and visually it looked like they were alive and dancing.

5 minutes ago, aright said:

Last year Hull was; in 2018 it will be Valetta. In 2021 it was to be Coventry but I think the EU has said it can't be because we will no longer be in the EU. Over Xmas the BBC reviewed Hulls 12 mth celebration. I don't think its on youtube yet but well worth a see when it gets there. There were literally thousands of events from  dance to art to music throughout the city. One I personally saw was a circle of robots  (the swinging arm types you see on car assembly lines)  on the city square. They programmed and sequenced them to music and visually it looked like they were alive and dancing.

Hull is still Hull when the events stop

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aright said:

Fish and Chips and pints of Cripplecock cider in Hull........the perfect holiday.

It certainly could be..good for UK economy..small carbon footprint.. cheaper than Thailand..and you can understand what people are saying about you.

27 minutes ago, aright said:

When were you last in Hull?

I was there this year, in March, I stopped there on the way back down from Bridlington, I needed cheering up after four days in Brid., all I can say is, thank god for the Samaritans. 

23 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

It certainly could be..good for UK economy..small carbon footprint.. cheaper than Thailand..and you can understand what people are saying about you.

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I was there this year, in March, I stopped there on the way back down from Bridlington, I needed cheering up after four days in Brid., all I can say is, thank god for the Samaritans. 

Brid is not designed for jet setters like yourself.

I don't understand why Hull has the reputation it does. It has the following. 

The Ferens Gallery, the Maritime Museum, the Museum of Archaeology, the Museum of Transport, the Spotlight Theatre, the Hull Truck Theatre (did you see a Godber play?), the Hull Ice Arena, the Deep, the Hull Pier Public Toilets, Wilberforce House, Rock Up (25 different climbs), Hull Old Town etc. Did you go go for a drink at the Olde Black Boy, Philip Larkins favourite watering hole or to Minerva for a pint of Black Sheep.

How many of those places did you go to?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aright said:

Brid is not designed for jet setters like yourself.

I don't understand why Hull has the reputation it does. It has the following. 

The Ferens Gallery, the Maritime Museum, the Museum of Archaeology, the Museum of Transport, the Spotlight Theatre, the Hull Truck Theatre (did you see a Godber play?), the Hull Ice Arena, the Deep, the Hull Pier Public Toilets, Wilberforce House, Rock Up (25 different climbs), Hull Old Town etc. Did you go go for a drink at the Olde Black Boy, Philip Larkins favourite watering hole or to Minerva for a pint of Black Sheep.

How many of those places did you go to?

Certainly not the Hull Pier Public Toilets! :shock1:

But I have had a pint of Black Sheep before, it made me baa! :smile:

I went to four different fish and chip shops in Brid. and I still couldn't find decent fish and chips. An old lag told me it was because the fish is all deep frozen,  plus the save the planet crowd have made the chippies use healthy oil for frying rather than the good unhealthy stuff. So the cod gets caught off Flamborough Head and brought ashore at Brid pier, shipped to Hull to be frozen and six months later it gets sold to the chip shop on Brid pier where I order fish and chips, how crazy is all that - I know Brexiteers are responsible for all of that mess, I'm certain.

BTW I read they're going to turn Hull into a forest, best thing that could happen I reckon: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/07/northern-forest-50-million-trees-planted-across-breadth-england/

Edited by simoh1490

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Of course I agree, completely different places, but both have mountains of dept, the US military budget would be enough to feed the world..let alone bomb it. Crazy or what?

It is a crazy world. The problem with it is us homo sapiens types (o.n.o.) unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

First, it was so-called economists, now it's so-called academics and students, have you ever listened to yourself! 

Do it all the time, if there's no better alternative. I became good at filtering noise out years ago, especially after listening to politicians that invariably spouted so much garbage. So I'm a bit selective nowadays. 

On 01/01/2018 at 8:26 AM, bert bloggs said:

Mind you ,he did sign us up to the European court of human rights , and it was just a coincedence that his wife was a lawyer and made a fortune out of fighting cases in it ,

No, Attlee did that in March 1951, though the court didn't start up until Macmillan was in power.  What Blair did was to make the European Convention on Human rights part of British Law, so British courts got to rule on cases before the European Court of Human Rights got to make a pronouncement.  I must admit that the family's associated pecuniary gains whiff.

5 hours ago, aright said:

You do talk nonsense. If you go to 149 (Chippie of the year about 4 or 5 years ago) in Brid they have a chalk board which tells you when the fish were landed, normally yesterday , the name of the trawler which landed them and the grade of Yorkshire potatoes they use for the chips. You can go down to the Brid dock and buy fresh fish any time. Two weeks ago I had a fresh haddock called Harold.:smile:

The old lag saw you coming. There is no commercial fishing off Flamborough Head. Mind you its not difficult to get a laugh out of expats who visit Yorkshire, just like the Thai Government we have been doing it for years.:smile:

What Brexiteers are responsible for is reclaiming all our fishing grounds which Remainers of course preferred to keep in the hands of the Spanish and the French. 

As for Hull Pier Public Toilets they are a magnificent example of Edwardian dunnies. Some days you can't get in for a slash because of the coach loads of Japanese and Chinese tourists taking pics. 

Who'd have known if not a local, it's been many years since I was one there.

As for Chinese tourists taking pictures of Mr Todger, another reason not to go there.

So you're a Yorkshire man, you're in good company, odd however that you're a Brexiteer also but I suppose we can't have everything!

12 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Yes I realize that (remember what happened to Saddam when he said he would accept Euro's for his oil instead of dollars) but it is still largely dollar transactions for oil,metals or minerals (you don't see oil or copper priced in yuan or rubles on the stock exchanges) as you say yourself it is based on USD rates when an alternative is used. It was largely due to oil payments being made in dollars that gave the dollar its reserve currency status, this is slowly being weakened but its still a long way to go before the dollar isn't used at least as a basis for payments.

the main reason why the Dollar was selected the preferred currency for oil in "ancient" times was that the important crude exporters of the Middle East had, and up to a certain extent still have, their currencies pegged to it. but there is no need to have oil or any other commodity priced in a currency selected by the seller. all what it takes is a lttle 'rithmatics' 

example:

-Crudistan would like to sell 1 million barrels of its crude which has a quality of "light sweet" to Absurdistan and asks for payment denominated in Mongolian Tögrög.

-trader in Crudistan looks up "light sweet" which is quoted @USD 66.- and then the forex rate of USD/MNT which is 2,421.- and quotes his counterpart in Absurdistan MNT 159,786.-/barrel.

as simple as that :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

the main reason why the Dollar was selected the preferred currency for oil in "ancient" times was that the important crude exporters of the Middle East had, and up to a certain extent still have, their currencies pegged to it. but there is no need to have oil or any other commodity priced in a currency selected by the seller. all what it takes is a lttle 'rithmatics' 

example:

-Crudistan would like to sell 1 million barrels of its crude which has a quality of "light sweet" to Absurdistan and asks for payment denominated in Mongolian Tögrög.

-trader in Crudistan looks up "light sweet" which is quoted @USD 66.- and then the forex rate of USD/MNT which is 2,421.- and quotes his counterpart in Absurdistan MNT 159,786.-/barrel.

as simple as that :smile:

I agree with what you say but fact is the dollar is still used as an international basis of what something is worth regardless of what is being used as actual payment. Why not look up what a Toegroeg is worth in Swiss Francs or Euro, no it will be dollars. When a news article comments on how expensive a loss or the worth of something is then next to your own currency will be the cost (in brackets) in dollars, it is the universal 5 rabbit skins for one axe. Maybe in 20 years it will be Yuen or NK won

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I agree with what you say but fact is the dollar is still used as an international basis of what something is worth regardless of what is being used as actual payment. Why not look up what a Toegroeg is worth in Swiss Francs or Euro, no it will be dollars. When a news article comments on how expensive a loss or the worth of something is then next to your own currency will be the cost (in brackets) in dollars, it is the universal 5 rabbit skins for one axe. Maybe in 20 years it will be Yuen or NK won

can you see any Dollars? these quotes are based on ThomsonReuters rates used globally.

Swiss Franc (CHF) / MNT

https://www.comdirect.de/inf/waehrungen/detail/uebersicht.html?SEARCH_REDIRECT=true&REFERER=search.general&REDIRECT_TYPE=ONLYONE&ID_NOTATION=8372920&SEARCH_VALUE=CHF+MNT

€UR / MNT

https://www.comdirect.de/inf/waehrungen/detail/uebersicht.html?SEARCH_REDIRECT=true&REFERER=search.general&REDIRECT_TYPE=ONLYONE&ID_NOTATION=8372938&SEARCH_VALUE=EUR+MNT

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Those aren't news articles

whenever i finish my dinner in Ulaanbaatar and the bill is presented there is never any mentioning of news articles. the bill says: "1 Yak steak medium rare with mashed taters and 1 bottle of Chardonnay MNT 120,000.- or else!"

rabugento1.gif 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

whenever i finish my dinner in Ulaanbaatar and the bill is presented there is never any mentioning of news articles. the bill says: "1 Yak steak medium rare with mashed taters and 1 bottle of Chardonnay MNT 120,000.- or else!"

rabugento1.gif 

I bet the waiter wants his tip in dollars though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

FWIW I understand that only 60% of Thai export bills are now settled in USD, down from 80% a few years ago.

in the EU 89% of invoices are settled in €UR, the other 9% mainly GBP, NOK and SEK.

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

FWIW I understand that only 60% of Thai export bills are now settled in USD, down from 80% a few years ago.

Maybe because ...

"China, Thailand to set up 7bn-yuan swap mechanism"

"China’s rising role in the global economy will benefit Thailand if the country turns to trade with China and adopts the yuan" - Paiboon Ponsuwanna, chairman of the Thai National Shippers Association

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30172245

and ...

"China's ICBC opens yuan clearing bank in Thailand"

'Around 20 percent of China’s trade was being settled in yuan by 2014" - HSBC

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-icbc-yuan/chinas-icbc-opens-yuan-clearing-bank-in-thailand-idUSL4N0XJ1RL20150422

16 hours ago, baansgr said:

In this article, the sentence ' Those deep structural problems – the over-reliance on debt to support consumption,'  Is the key problem in UK.

I wonder where the government finds all these experts and economists from.

31 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

In this article, the sentence ' Those deep structural problems – the over-reliance on debt to support consumption,'  Is the key problem in UK.

I wonder where the government finds all these experts and economists from.

I think those expert economists made their forecasts with that knowledge already in mind, it was not exactly a well hidden secret by any stretch of the imagination.