May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

38 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

A 100 years ago the automobile was thought a 'delusional concept', and you would die if you exceeded 30mph..it would never catch on...

On the other hand, remainers, lacking imagination, have continued, desperately flogging the old deceased carthorse.

100 years ago there were people promising perpetual motion machines, devices to communicate with dead people. sure-fire cures for cancer, etc. How did they pan out? So what you're counting on is some sort of genius plan, a plan that defies the universally observed economic phenomenon that the closer geographically your trader partners are, the more likely you are to trade with them? That means now you're going to need a genius or geniuses who understands why this is the case. because it's not well understood yet, and how to circumvent it. I think the UK would have better chance of counting on buying lots and lots of winning foreign lottery tickets. Does probability mean anything to you? How about Deus Ex Machina?

17 hours ago, talahtnut said:

A 100 years ago the automobile was thought a 'delusional concept', and you would die if you exceeded 30mph..it would never catch on...

On the other hand, remainers, lacking imagination, have continued, desperately flogging the old deceased carthorse.

You will be telling us next that it was those that preferred to belong to the EU that killed off previous imaginative and innovative development.

Brexiteer imagination, or lack of it, has already put that automobile production in jeopardy but of course when it all goes wrong you have already worked out who is to blame.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

You will be telling us next that it was those that preferred to belong to the EU that killed off previous imaginative and innovative development.

Brexiteer imagination, or lack of it, has already put that automobile production in jeopardy but of course when it all goes wrong you have already worked out who is to blame.

What you should know is that The EU has prevented UK subsidy of industry under its state aids rules, but has often provided subsidised loans and grants to businesses to set up elsewhere in the EU. The UK has seen factory closures balanced by new and expanded facilities in poorer EU countries... UK used to actually make its own cars before it joined the EEC [now known as the EU].

Can you work out who is to blame?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are better than this infantile type of comment....

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, talahtnut said:

No it wasn't....your analogy like most Brexiteers thinking is devoid of evidence, logic and reality.

Victory are going to use analogy then try the American civil war for size...there's a lot to learn there.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Naam said:

the EU had no other choice than killing UK's car industry. design, advanced engineering and quality of British cars were a threat to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Ferrari... just to name a few. it was the lobbying of these manufacturers who wanted to protect their substandard products and Brussels caved in because of threats originating in Berlin. :whistling:

I'll have you know I was, in my youth,  the proud owner of an Austin Allegro!

austin-allegro-buying-guide-and-review-1973-1982-5495_15214_640X470.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The Q reg is a nightmare for insurance though, as I found out with my imported Morini Sport.

Its been inspected 3 years ago and have papers to change..but haven't bothered.

Its an Irish import. I love it, but people take the P.  Cant take to London, they get turned over in the night. [By upset remainers?]

Thats a nice rare bike.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, talahtnut said:

What you should know is that The EU has prevented UK subsidy of industry under its state aids rules, but has often provided subsidised loans and grants to businesses to set up elsewhere in the EU. The UK has seen factory closures balanced by new and expanded facilities in poorer EU countries... UK used to actually make its own cars before it joined the EEC [now known as the EU].

Can you work out who is to blame?

You are perfectly free to believe that the EU was responsible for killing off UK aviation development such as the TSR2, Concorde, Vertical Take-Off etc, and also putting the UK motor industry and some public services into the hands of foreign companies.

Up to you.

It is very easy to forget why these foreign companies ended up in the UK in the first place.

11 hours ago, aright said:

You have to be high on the list!

The rabid, vindictive rage of Remainers now borders on the pathological

What we are hearing now is not argument: it is vindictive, inchoate rage which seems to border on the pathological

http://snewsi.com/id/18169698282

The rabid,vindictive rage of Janet Daley in the Torygraph,like I say every day multiple "opinions"  fantasies masquerading as fact and fake news in the Barcley brothers rag.

11 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I think that the word "proud" is thea most significant one in that sentence.

The death of the motor industry had nothing to do with the EU. It was sick, sick sick long before that.

In fact the prevalent assumption that UK ever had a viable motor industry is largely a fallacy.

Faced with a level playing field and a huge market, it fell flat on its face and collapsed.

Both the E-type and the Allegro are potent symbols of that collapse. Largely for similar reasons.

Edited by Airbagwill

30 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The death of the motor industry had nothing to do with the EU. It was sick, sick sick long before that.

In fact the prevalent assumption that UK ever had a viable motor industry is largely a fallacy.

Faced with a level playing field and a huge market, it fell flat on its face and collapsed.

Both the E-type and the Allegro are potent symbols of that collapse. Largely for similar reasons.

Currently the UK motor vehicle industry is bigger than it has ever been, but thanks to Brexit that is all about to change.

Ironically the areas worst hit are the ones who voted from Brexit.

12 hours ago, Naam said:

the EU had no other choice than killing UK's car industry. design, advanced engineering and quality of British cars were a threat to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Ferrari... just to name a few. it was the lobbying of these manufacturers who wanted to protect their substandard products and Brussels caved in because of threats originating in Berlin. :whistling:

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

And you even admit to it.

Shame on you.

I have to admit though it was (almost) a highly technical challenge to the humbler Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Ferrari of that era.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/nov/16/why-britain-doesnt-make-things-manufacturing

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

you do realise that article agrees with everything I said, don't you??

Not quite, where was the 'level playing field' in government policies?

The 'bigger motor industry' is sticking cars together for foreign company profits.

The e type is a symbol of what the UK could produce..not of collapse.

The UK did have a viable industry..Mini, 1100, Land Rover, Range Rover, Bentley,

Aston Martin, Jaguar, Lotus, MG, TVR, Rolls Royce, [Bond Bug]. etc.

Leaving the EU will be, has got to be, the catalyst for re-industrialization.

As for the Allegro...well anyone can make a mistake.

Other than that, I am in agreement with you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Sense of humour alert!

By the way, I agree with you.

• Like 1