May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

On 10/22/2016 at 6:16 AM, rooster59 said:

Theresa May has warned Britain’s negotiations to leave the EU will take some time.

The UK prime minister says she is ready for some “difficult moments”, but will fight to remain part of the bloc’s single market.

"ready for tough talks" = nothing but a journàrselist's misleading invention! :sick:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pitrevie said:

The UK does not have a constitution and the people are represented by those they send to Parliament who then get to decide. That has been so since the time of Cromwell who established the supremacy of Parliament. Pariament often goes against the will of the people as Thatcher once observed we would never have abolished capital punishment if Parliament couldn't circumvent the will of the people.

Which is why UK referendums are so rare, and restricted to those occasions when governments and MPs realise they are in trouble if they ignore something about which people feel strongly - and could thereby lose support and membership.

The government always (understandably) throws everything it possibly can to validate the outcome they support, but they (and the pollsters) miscalculated badly on the brexit referendum.

The Supreme Court decision is a bit of a red herring IMO - as MPs have already said they will agree with a vote to activate article 50.  Hardly suprising, as a number of MPs represent constituencies that voted strongly 'leave', and don't want to lose their seats (as they surely would) if they voted so obviously against their constituents.

So we're now left waiting for MPs to endorse activating article 50 - and then waiting to see how UK/EU discussions progress and, more importantly, the end result.

Edit - And I apologise for getting so bad-tempered at a poster a couple of days ago :sad:.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

Euro 'could fail', says man tipped as US ambassador to EU
The man tipped to be Donald Trump's ambassador to the European Union has told the BBC the single currency "could collapse" in the next 18 months.
Professor Ted Malloch said he would "short the euro" - taking a market position which bets on the value of the currency falling.
He also predicts the collapse of the EU.
Continued http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38749884

2 hours ago, katana said:

Euro 'could fail', says man tipped as US ambassador to EU
The man tipped to be Donald Trump's ambassador to the European Union has told the BBC the single currency "could collapse" in the next 18 months.
Professor Ted Malloch said he would "short the euro" - taking a market position which bets on the value of the currency falling.
He also predicts the collapse of the EU.
Continued http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38749884

That tip has worked just brilliantly the last month:

Euro/Dollar.

euro dollar.png

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, pitrevie said:

The supreme court was referring to an Act of Parliament which is needed to give effect to this. Its unwritten because such a thing does not exist but anyone can challenge a decision that is in breach of long standing constitutional principles which is what happened here. Note they could not refer to some article in the Constitution only a  breach of long standing constitutional principles

Laws exist. 'Long standing constitutional principles'? What on earth are you on about?

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Laws exist. 'Long standing constitutional principles'? What on earth are you on about?

Not sure why constitutional principles is an issue in this thread but there are many sources for learning about UK constitutional principles such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Kingdom and

http://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/constitutional-law/significant-constitutional-principles-in-the-uk.php

20 hours ago, pitrevie said:

.... only a  breach of long standing constitutional principles

Is that all?  A big fuss about nothing really!

This post was brought to you by Travago ....Have a nice day!

Edited by onthesoi

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

If you bothered to read the thread I was making the point that the UK does not have a constitution and I quoted Professor Robert Blackburn. Professor of Constitutional Law in support of that.

For most people, especially abroad, the United Kingdom does not have a constitution at all in the sense most commonly used around the world — a document of fundamental importance setting out the structure of government and its relationship with its citizens. All modern states, saving only the UK, New Zealand and Israel, have adopted a documentary constitution of this kind, the first and most complete model being that of the United States of America in 1788. However, in Britain we certainly say that we have a constitution, but it is one that exists in an abstract sense, comprising a host of diverse laws, practices and conventions that have evolved over a long period of time. The key landmark is the Bill of Rights (1689), which established the supremacy of Parliament over the Crown following the forcible replacement of King James II (r.1685–88) by William III (r.1689–1702) and Mary (r.1689–94) in the Glorious Revolution (1688).

3 hours ago, Naam said:

...if he had money to put it where his mouth is rabugento1.gif

3 hours ago, Naam said:

...if he had money to put it where his mouth is rabugento1.gif

Well seemingly the £ has now risen to $1.26. Not as high as before the referendum but not as low as £1-$1 as many of the Remoaners were predicting/hoping.

Now to see if this will soon reflect in a higher exchange against the Bht.

• Like 1

Well seemingly the £ has now risen to $1.26. Not as high as before the referendum but not as low as £1-$1 as many of the Remoaners were predicting/hoping

Your constant reference to people who happened to have a different point of view as remoaners is not only tedious but says a lot about what type of human being you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Well seemingly the £ has now risen to $1.26. Not as high as before the referendum but not as low as £1-$1 as many of the Remoaners were predicting/hoping.

the quoted learned professoer was talking of Pound and EUR, specifically shorting the EUR. how much did the Pound rise during the last 6 months, 1 year or 5 years vs. the Eur? the answer is zero, zilch, nada, niente. the long range chart shows a loss. during the last 12 months, when "Brexit" approached, the loss was 12%. i rest my case and hope Prof. Whatshisname is happy with his imaginary shorts.

disclaimer: i comment from a neutral position holding less than 10% of EUR assets in my portfolio. not because i think the currency might be doomed but because of lack of opportunities in any asset class i am interested. the same applies to the Pound if you are a broadbased investor who is diversified as far as debtors are concerned only one currency exists. and that is the US-Dollar.

40 minutes ago, Naam said:

the quoted learned professoer was talking of Pound and EUR, specifically shorting the EUR. how much did the Pound rise during the last 6 months, 1 year or 5 years vs. the Eur? the answer is zero, zilch, nada, niente. the long range chart shows a loss. during the last 12 months, when "Brexit" approached, the loss was 12%. i rest my case and hope Prof. Whatshisname is happy with his imaginary shorts.

disclaimer: i comment from a neutral position holding less than 10% of EUR assets in my portfolio. not because i think the currency might be doomed but because of lack of opportunities in any asset class i am interested. the same applies to the Pound if you are a broadbased investor who is diversified as far as debtors are concerned only one currency exists. and that is the US-Dollar.

Welcome to China !!  :)

1 hour ago, Naam said:

I don't think he was talking about the pound at all. It just that some people who think that the world still revolves around sterling assumed that bad news for the euro is good news for the pound.  In fact, the worst thing that could happen to UK exports would be for the Euro to fall dramatically in relation to the pound.  The UK's export position most likely wouldn't be great after Brexit but it would be a lot worse if the pound strengthened significantly against the Euro.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And what of it? Has Brexit already occurred and no one told me about it?  Have the businesses and industries that the UK stood a good chance of losing in fact survived unscathed? This is great news!

Whose to know what the future brings,but one thing is for sure,we have not had  the disaster predicted or hoped for by the Remoaners.

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Your constant reference to people who happened to have a different point of view as remoaners is not only tedious but says a lot about what type of human being you are.

This from a person who refers to people with a different point of view as Brixet nutters.

• Like 1

On 25.1.2017 at 1:08 PM, Naam said:

"ready for tough talks" = nothing but a journàrselist's misleading invention! :sick:

agree with that,

there is no basis for so called tough talks, the UK has very little to offer the EU, very little

tradewise the EU has the upper hand in almost all aspects

UK can of course stop inporting a lot of goods from the rest of EU or subject the goods to heavy customs,

would piss UK consumers and voters off big time

UK could stop exporting certain groups of products to EU, would piss UK industry off big time

however,

there is an awfull lot of legal nitty gritty to sort out re (non UK) EU citizens having built a life in the UK,

permission to stay, permission to own and operate property - businesses, pension rights, access to NHS etc etc etc

and likewise for UKers having built a life in EU (outside of UK)

• Like 1

This from a person who refers to people with a different point of view as Brixet nutters.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I apologise to anybody I offended using those terms and will not use them again. Will you stop calling people remoaners?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Two wrongs don't make a right. I apologise to anybody I offended using those terms and will not use them again. Will you stop calling people remoaners?

Certainly not. The British people democratically voted to leave this so called Union. Yet these Remoaners refuse to accept the wish of the people,instead backing a person who comes from a very privalaged and wealthy foreign background, a person who is on her third husband, the latter two being very rich bankers,her present husband is worth £40,000,000, the second husband being involved in financial fraud to cheat ordinary people. Yet she says this, very expensive appeal is for the benefit of the people, bullshxt.

This  leader of the Remoaners is a proven lier, stateing on her literature that she has a degree in law, completely false.

To me,she is below contempt,like many( not all ) of the Remoaners.

I attach a poster for another of the prominent Remoaners.

image.jpeg

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yet these Remoaners refuse to accept the wish of the people,

You must be very angry too with the UK Supreme Court whose ruling insists that the Rule of Law supercedes the "wish of the people." Damm those constitutional principles!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

This in fact the whole crux of the matter, there was no 'will of the people' per se.

There was the the will of the English and Welsh people but it was certainly not the will of the Irish and Scottish people. The European Union has 28 states but our so called union has 1 state and 3 non entities but it is the EU that is perceived as undemocratic.

A large percentage of those that voted to leave have absolutely no interest in the pound, people in the other nations of the UK or anyone who has decided to live abroad. They are only interested in having a job, somewhere to live and seeing the doctor. Any problem in those areas and they blame the 'foreigners', so the obvious solution to them is to get rid of the 'foreigners' and everything will be rosy.

Nobody explained to them that there vote could lead to a career change from manufacturing to NHS cleaner or farm worker, that available housing would become unaffordable, and that the savings on EU payments would get swallowed up paying the brexit contribution to the national debt leaving the NHS no better off.

Unfortunately irreparable social damage has already been inflicted and there is every chance that England and Wales will end up in social isolation.

How do you know that those who voted to leave had absolutely no interest in those issues? They vote was carried out by the British people as a whole,and the collected decisions was to leave this so called Union. As for the Nth Irish vote, I'm sure that your aware of other factors that would have influenced their vote.

As for the 6 million Scots ,out of the official British population of 68 million, I' m sure that many thought it was in the best interest of the U.K. To remain, however with others,I don't think so,as I!m more inclined to agree with Billy Connelly.

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, nontabury said:

How do you know that those who voted to leave had absolutely no interest in those issues? They vote was carried out by the British people as a whole,and the collected decisions was to leave this so called Union. As for the Nth Irish vote, I'm sure that your aware of other factors that would have influenced their vote.

As for the 6 million Scots ,out of the official British population of 68 million, I' m sure that many thought it was in the best interest of the U.K. To remain, however with others,I don't think so,as I!m more inclined to agree with Billy Connelly.

image.jpeg

Exactly which of the above comments from Bill Connolly do you agree with? He is correct about Braveheart, although I would put the blame more on Hollywood than Australia. As for the man's character, I cannot say - records are scant from those times.  If it is about Scottish racism, you have made remarks before about anti-english sentiment in Scotland and I have asked you to give clear and unambiguous examples to back up those claims, but all you have ever been able to offer were vague annecdotes from your imaginary facebook friends up there.

If you want to experience real intra-UK hatred and bigotry, then take a look at the Daily Mail online comments whenever there is a topic about the SNP or Scotland in general. Then you will see the true face of this Better Together nonsense. There is hatred in the UK, but it mainly from little englanders who are still in shock trying to grasp just how, in the space of a centurty, England has gone from being a world leader to a laughing stock the world over.

Edit: probably also worth pointing out that far more people in Scotland, by majority and percentage, wanted to stay within Europe than wanted to remain in the UK.

Edited by RuamRudy