May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

"whereas UK suddenly stops haemoragging hard cash "

Brexit will replace one financial commitment for a much larger one. The cost of brexit will hang over the UK for years to come.

All this talk from TM about more money for the NHS is a previous commitment the plug has been pulled on any further funding, and social care funding has been laid at the door of local authorities. A rise in income tax is becoming inevitable but of course some time hence we will not have to pay the 0.6% of income tax that goes to the EU.

The interest on the national debt currently takes 5% of income tax and with that expected to rise from £1.725 trillion to £1.945 trillion(approx 12%) it will wipe out the saving on the EU contribution.

Where's the numbers Sandy?  How much will UK *not* have to pay, and how much will it cost UK to leave the EU?  The NHS etc are red-herring issues - they need fixing anyway - nothing to do with Brexit.  Annual figures will do nicely :)

45 minutes ago, jpinx said:

You would need to provide the source of those figures - they look hopelessly inaccurate.  Maybe your source only includes exports that are  "hardware"?

Fullfact.org which takes its stats from the ONS (the Office Of National Statistics) among others. Probably does look hopelessly inaccurate to those weaned on a diet of junk and hysterical websites. :giggle:

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

23 hours ago, jpinx said:

Where's the numbers Sandy?  How much will UK *not* have to pay, and how much will it cost UK to leave the EU?  The NHS etc are red-herring issues - they need fixing anyway - nothing to do with Brexit.  Annual figures will do nicely :)

The numbers are all available in the public domain, just do the homework and the maths.

The government have already slipped in a 2% rise on Insurance Premium Tax to start in June, people in the UK are only going to get poorer.

How do they fix what needs fixing when they are " haemoragging hard cash " in pursuit of brexit - more taxes?

On 2/10/2017 at 10:08 AM, jpinx said:

And that's precisely the point.  There are (understandably) zero/few hard facts when it comes to the outcome of brexit.

On the other hand, there are numerous, biased 'opinions'.

We had to put up with this pre-referendum, and are now going to have to go through the same thing for the next couple of years as 'important' people and 'experts' continue to mis-represent opinion as fact.

As I said previously, its going to be a long two years....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Fact or fiction.

Michel Barnier, the European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator, is set to demand a €57bn (£48bn) payment from the UK to the leave the bloc. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/european-commission-agree-48-billion-brexit-latest-eu-divorce-bill-uk-a7573291.html

I'm sure we all believe the EU is demanding 48bn sterling from the UK to leave the EU.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Fact or fiction.

Michel Barnier, the European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator, is set to demand a €57bn (£48bn) payment from the UK to the leave the bloc. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/european-commission-agree-48-billion-brexit-latest-eu-divorce-bill-uk-a7573291.html

The "fact" being quoted, in other words, is that Barnier is "going to demand £48bn,,"  There is no "fact" that UK will pay it.

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Fact or fiction.

Negotiaitions are always about compromise.

What is 'demanded' at the start of negotiations and what is agreed to at the end of negotiations are very rarely the same thing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

And that's precisely the point.  There are (understandably) zero/few hard facts when it comes to the outcome of brexit.

We had to put up with this pre-referendum, and are now going to have to go through the same thing for the next couple of years as 'important' people and 'experts' continue to mis-represent opinion as fact.

The zero hard facts trope is very popular with the know-nothing crowd.

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

Fact or fiction.

Apparently the Brexit bill is like paying for your round of drinks. This would be a problem concept for the forum hard line brexiteers who are like those singular guys on Soi Buakhaow nursing their one beer through the night and ready to throw a strop at the waitress who they suspect will interfere with their checkbin at the first opportunity: http://tinyurl.com/gpwx6tb

11 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Negotiaitions are always about compromise.

What is 'demanded' at the start of negotiations and what is agreed to at the end of negotiations are very rarely the same thing!

I would expect the UK to agree to pay into a few 'noble' EU schemes totalling 3-5 billion a year for the duration of an agreed comfy access trade agreement. The EU is dreaming if it thinks it can get any more than this.

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

You are certainly right about opinions. We had many on here of the opinion the Euro was worthless and now we have the USA accusing Germany of exploiting an undervalued Euro.

"For instance, late last month, Trump’s top trade adviser Peter Navarro accused Germany of currency exploitation. He said, Germany is using a “grossly undervalued” euro to “exploit” the US and its EU partners. The euro was like an “implicit Deutsche Mark” whose low valuation gave Germany an advantage over its main trading partners. "

https://financialtribune.com/articles/world-economy/59299/imf-says-still-premature-to-worry-about-currency-war

The UK takes 7.5 percent of Germany's exports but many of the brexit brigade are of the opinion that Germany and the EU cannot survive without the UK market, maybe they should think again.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/german-global-trade-surplus-at-record-high-in-2016-2017-02-09

Came across this documentary,thought it might be of interest. From the BBC ( often accused of being Pro EU) by a Brussels based German reporter,interviewing politicians on both sides of the arguement. Although I do wonder on which planet the EU Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt is living.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Came across this documentary,thought it might be of interest. From the BBC ( often accused of being Pro EU) by a Brussels based German reporter,interviewing politicians on both sides of the arguement. Although I do wonder on which planet the EU Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt is living.

Compulsory viewing !!

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I would expect the UK to agree to pay into a few 'noble' EU schemes totalling 3-5 billion a year for the duration of an agreed comfy access trade agreement. The EU is dreaming if it thinks it can get any more than this.

This explains the situation nicely

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21716629-bitter-argument-over-money-looms-multi-billion-euro-exit-charge-could-sink-brexit

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/02/09/brexit-battle-europe-hour-little-time-unpick-complex-subject/

The Telegraph gives in two stars. Too short, too shallow

At least it should shut up the fools who think the BBC is biased....

16 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Oh My Goodness - the European Commission will argue that Britain’s approval of the current budget, which runs until 2020, obliges it to cough up. That's a negotiating damper.

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Oh My Goodness - the European Commission will argue that Britain’s approval of the current budget, which runs until 2020, obliges it to cough up. That's a negotiating damper.

Alarmist  obstructionists --  -- the sky is falling !!!!  

Art50 and the negotiations are designed to cover exactly this sort of topic as part of the package.  

19 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Not only that but there are a number of organizations that we will still want to be a part of when we leave, Europol is one such so we will be expected to pay our share. 

10 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Not only that but there are a number of organizations that we will still want to be a part of when we leave, Europol is one such so we will be expected to pay our share. 

There'll be many such organizations, that the UK will be only to happy to continue with and therefore pay into. Unless you know otherwise.

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

There'll be many such organizations, that the UK will be only to happy to continue with and therefore pay into. Unless you know otherwise.

I thought that was the point I was making so this idea that we are going to walk away and there will be no bill to pay is pie in the sky. It isn't difficult to find comments such as pay them nothing so god only knows who is going to pay Farage's pension when we leave, but knowing Farage I fully expect him to forgo any more handouts from the hated EU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I thought that was the point I was making so this idea that we are going to walk away and there will be no bill to pay is pie in the sky. It isn't difficult to find comments such as pay them nothing so god only knows who is going to pay Farage's pension when we leave, but knowing Farage I fully expect him to forgo any more handouts from the hated EU.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/nigel-farage-plans-pocket-his-84000-mep-salary-until-we-officially-quit-eu

• Like 1