May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Nope - that would the people of Gibraltar themselves: "Nearly half of all jobs in Gibraltar would be put at risk by a hard border after Brexit, according to a detailed analysis prepared by the Gibraltar Government."

I suggest that you look at your last sentence again, only this time think about it with a bit more of an analytical mind. If you still don't see the problem, find any business owner and ask him or her what effect it would have on their business if 40% of his staff were to resign overnight. Then, ask them how they would fill those jobs with from a tiny population and limited housing capacity for an influx of Brits to do the work that the Spanish residing workforce can no longer do - assuming, that is, they can attract the necessary additional workforce with the appropriate skills. Maybe also ask him if he has budgeted for the additional training these people will require.

Your point is perfectly valid but a separate issue. As far as the WTO is concerned, every other member must agree to the UK membership terms and both Gibraltar and the Falklands are at risk of being sacrificial lambs.  When it comes to brexit the rights of the people of Gibraltar are pretty much the same as Scotland, worthless.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously the point being made has gone over your head. Absolutely nothing to do with anyone choosing to remain part of the UK.

Tell that to the people of those overseas territories if you dare.  As for actually having overseas territories being a tripwire for WTO membership, it is a safe bet that when the UK produces the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht in which Spain gave up Gibraltar as part of a wider agreement to end the wars of that time, the modern-day opposition will be left without a leg to stand on. 

In this brexit debate many are referring to good old British values, but they fail to differentiate between moral values and consumer protection values, the bulk of which were initiated by the EU. If it wasn't for EU legislation the UK would not be able to trade with the EU, the US and several other countries.

Before anyone starts shouting BS, I sat on a BSI committee and the kitemark wasn't worth the cost of printing, the CE mark put the UK in a different league altogether.

Those of a certain age will remember the 'Monday morning car', the butt of many a joke but not a laughing matter.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2017 at 6:22 PM, Khun Han said:

The UK economy is still expanding:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38755242

On 1/26/2017 at 9:12 PM, ilostmypassword said:

And what of it? Has Brexit already occurred and no one told me about it?  Have the businesses and industries that the UK stood a good chance of losing in fact survived unscathed? This is great news!

A word of caution:

uk services growth.jpg

It would be like something from a comedy sketch if it wasn't so serious.

Last year Mr Brexit tells the country how potentially dangerous the Turkey issue is.

“Perhaps this referendum on June 23rd will become a referendum on whether we wish to be in a political union with Turkey. A vote for Remain is a vote for Turkey.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-accuses-turkey-of-blackmailing-the-eu-over-the-refugee-crisis-a6921316.html

And now we have Mrs Brexit telling the country how great a trading partner Turkey will be, they want to buy more weapons.

"Mrs May said the defence agreement "underlines once again that Britain is a great, global, trading nation".

She said the UK would enhance trade relations with Turkey, and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country would increase trade to $20bn (£16bn)."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38779669

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It would be like something from a comedy sketch if it wasn't so serious.

Last year Mr Brexit tells the country how potentially dangerous the Turkey issue is.

“Perhaps this referendum on June 23rd will become a referendum on whether we wish to be in a political union with Turkey. A vote for Remain is a vote for Turkey.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-accuses-turkey-of-blackmailing-the-eu-over-the-refugee-crisis-a6921316.html

And now we have Mrs Brexit telling the country how great a trading partner Turkey will be, they want to buy more weapons.

"Mrs May said the defence agreement "underlines once again that Britain is a great, global, trading nation".

She said the UK would enhance trade relations with Turkey, and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country would increase trade to $20bn (£16bn)."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38779669

Apples and Pears -- it's such a shame that people don't see the differences.  Also - almost a year between the references.  Do try to keep up, as someone once said - a week is a long time in politics ;)

Edited by jpinx

On 25/01/2017 at 2:15 PM, sidgy said:

Haha, unfortunately his unsavory post was removed by the mods, they should have left it up so people could see the sort of person he really is. I'm still not sure why my post (2995) got him so angry

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I owe you an apology.

Sorry

You actually caught the back end of a very longing running discussion concerning which types of people voted for Brexit. There was much back and forth about statistics ( distributions, correlations and the like)

You made a comment and I responded.

Again, I apologise.

• Like 2

I owe you an apology.

Sorry

You actually caught the back end of a very longing running discussion concerning which types of people voted for Brexit. There was much back and forth about statistics ( distributions, correlations and the like)

You made a comment and I responded.

Again, I apologise.

No worries, apology accepted

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

Tory MP Ken Clarke tears into Theresa May's 'Alice in Wonderland' Brexit plan

"Apparently you follow the rabbit down the hole and emerge in a wonderland where suddenly countries throughout the world are queuing up to give us trading advantages and access to their markets that previously we've never been able to achieve."Nice men like President Trump and President Erdogan are just impatient to abandon their normal protectionism and give us access!"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mp-ken-clarke-tears-9728434

• Like 1

The more I read about this the less I get it.

"The City of London stands to lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in accountancy, law and consulting, as EU clients move business worth €1.8tn (£1.6tn) to the continent after Brexit, according to Brussels-based Bruegel."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/07/brexit-uk-finance-brussels-thinktank-city-banking-eu-bruegel

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pegman said:

"The City of London stands to lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in accountancy, law and consulting, as EU clients move business worth €1.8tn (£1.6tn) to the continent after Brexit, according to Brussels-based Bruegel."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/07/brexit-uk-finance-brussels-thinktank-city-banking-eu-bruegel

It should have been enough that every single country with which we are allied were in favour of us staying in the EU including even China. As if to reinforce that, Trump not then president and a four times bankrupt was in favour of us leaving the EU. Now apparently we are going to have countries queuing up to trade with us that previously we could not trade with on account of our EU membership.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pitrevie said:

It should have been enough that every single country with which we are allied were in favour of us staying in the EU including even China. As if to reinforce that, Trump not then president and a four times bankrupt was in favour of us leaving the EU. Now apparently we are going to have countries queuing up to trade with us that previously we could not trade with on account of our EU membership.

Tough times ahead.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Bloomberg reporting dollar bounce, sterling decline against political uncertainty re Brexit and disappointing retail sales.

Entirely off topic, for which I apologise, but it goes to show how the currency markets are unstable/easily manipulated by those with enough money.

Clearly there's a lot of political uncertainty involved with brexit - but no uncertainty following Trump being elected?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:
May ready for tough talks over Brexit

More like 'devious talks'.

"The Government headed off the rebellion by 326 votes to 293 after earlier promising that MPs would in fact be given a vote on the deal."

Not sure why that is devious as long as MPs are allowed to vote on either accepting or rejecting (i.e. no deal) the outcome of negotiations?

It only becomes "devious" when MPs are given the right to demand re-negotiation ahead of any negotiations.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Tough times ahead.

Just the remainer opinion. Times ahead are going to be fine (though I expect there will be a few blips that remainers will be all over like a rash). Just like the 'tough times' that were supposed to be upon us now never materialised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

I'd take most of it with a large pinch of salt - following the numerous 'experts' statements just before the referendum that the UK would immediately crash if there was a brexit vote.  They were proven badly wrong and have admitted as much, albeit extending the 'deadline' further forward.

Of course it may happen in the future - but its always worthwhile remembering 'experts' previous statements before jumping to conclusions.

Edit - Not to mention that said 'experts' have their own agenda.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Entirely off topic, for which I apologise, but it goes to show how the currency markets are unstable/easily manipulated by those with enough money.

Clearly there's a lot of political uncertainty involved with brexit - but no uncertainty following Trump being elected?

Sure there's uncertainty about the Trump effect. Massive infrastructure investment, knocking down environmental protection, will be good for the Dow. However he also would like  a weak dollar to help the trade imbalance. 

I think the markets see May's merry men blundering around and they dispair!

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Bloomberg reporting dollar bounce, sterling decline against political uncertainty re Brexit and disappointing retail sales.

Just now, Grouse said:

Sure there's uncertainty about the Trump effect. Massive infrastructure investment, knocking down environmental protection, will be good for the Dow. However he also would like  a weak dollar to help the trade imbalance. 

I think the markets see May's merry men blundering around and they dispair!

None of this makes sense to my (admittedly simplistic) mind.

Massive government infrastructure investment results in higher government expenditure - good for the companies given the contracts, not so good when it comes to national debt?

Knocking down environmental protection makes sense when it comes to a currency trading.

Trump wants a weaker dollar to help the trade imbalance?  And yet SheungWan's post says that the dollar is bouncing back despite Trump's promised govt. spending?

I don't understand how this somehow explains why sterling has fallen again?

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

None of this makes sense to my (admittedly simplistic) mind.

Massive government infrastructure investment results in higher government expenditure - good for the companies given the contracts, not so good when it comes to national debt?

Knocking down environmental protection makes sense when it comes to a currency trading.

Trump wants a weaker dollar to help the trade imbalance?  And yet SheungWan's post says that the dollar is bouncing back despite Trump's promised govt. spending?

I don't understand how this somehow explains why sterling has fallen again?

It recovered