May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

31 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

ahhh, the old semi-literate UKIP voter, cannot articulate in his first language to defeat an argument, forced to communicate using childish pictures he found on Facebook.

UKIP are a party of and for racists, FACT!

So what?   What do you intend to do with this viewpoint of yours?  fact is , yes I go along with UKIP, what I find disturbing though are the manuring ex mature students (yes you) who for reasons known only to themselves think that they will change the views of not only UKIP ers  but the ruling political party,who by and large have been shaped by UKIP.....so again I say ..so what   no sweetie for daddy today   oh dear  lol

9 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Notice no mention of UK citizens in the EU, just the EU citizens in the UK.

Really? From Angela Merkel:

"We also need solid guarantees for all citizens and their families who will be affected by Brexit on both sides.

"This must be the number one priority for the EU and the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/remaining-27-eu-countries-agree-brexit-guidelines-as-hollande-says-uk-must-pay-price-a7709016.html

8 minutes ago, Flustered said:
26 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Notice no mention of UK citizens in the EU, just the EU citizens in the UK.

Your links do nothing to prove that what you wrote is true. It is not that case that there was "no mention of UK citizes in the EU, just the EU citizens in the UK." Merkel clearly referred to UK residents in the EU as well as EU residents in the UK.  Once again, here's the quote from her made at the meeting:

"We also need solid guarantees for all citizens and their families who will be affected by Brexit on both sides.

"This must be the number one priority for the EU and the UK.

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

The sheer hypocrisy and arrogance of the EU leaders and Donald Trusk is beyond comprehension. The current statement that the rights of the EU citizens in the UK is of paramount importance and must be dealt with immediately is laughable.

Theresa May tried to guarantee these months ago and was thumbed down by Angela Merkel who refused to even discuss the matter and instructed other EU leaders to adopt the same approach. Now the EU want to fast track this and are blaming the UK. Absolutely pathetic. Notice no mention of UK citizens in the EU, just the EU citizens in the UK.

This issue could have been put to bed months ago if Frau Merkel had wanted to do so.

The sooner we are divorced from these jokers the better.

To be fair, the rights of UK citizens residing in Europe was mentioned. But your basic premise is right. The UK wanted to sort this out last year and was snubbed by the EU and their boss Merkel. For Tusk to raise the issue in the way that he now has is rank hypocricy, and is a good indicator of the EU's upcoming behaviour in negotiations :bah:. I wouldn't trust those goons as far as far as I could throw them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

ahhh, the old semi-literate UKIP voter, cannot articulate in his first language to defeat an argument, forced to communicate using childish pictures he found on Facebook.

UKIP are a party of and for racists, FACT!

2 hours ago, teddog said:

So what?   What do you intend to do with this viewpoint of yours?  fact is , yes I go along with UKIP, what I find disturbing though are the manuring ex mature students (yes you) who for reasons known only to themselves think that they will change the views of not only UKIP ers  but the ruling political party,who by and large have been shaped by UKIP.....so again I say ..so what   no sweetie for daddy today   oh dear  lol

Odds on UKIP getting a big fat zero seats in the forthcoming General Election: Odds-on 2/7. :partytime2:

16 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

We can argue about this all day (and many days to come), but there is a more recent thread about how negotiations 'will' proceed' - according to the EU.

Hopefully I can add a :laugh: to the EU list of how negotiations will proceed!.

The EU has put forward their guidelines and surprise surprise they wish to consider the interests of the member states. There are those that think their interests should come first and view this as outright aggression, conveniently forgetting statements made by TM.

I had a lodger once that did a moonlight flit without paying the rent and telephone bill, obviously the brexiteer sees this as acceptable behaviour.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

In fact service industries generate a lot more income than does manufacturing.  I don't know how much service industries - apart from the financial service industry - generate for the UK outside of its borders and how they would be affected by Brexit.

Quite, its a topic that does not get mentioned much, the split between service and manufacturing. I suspect its because manufacturing is going to be hit quite badly and that may impact on a fairly large percentage of the working population. If I was still doing what I did in the 90's I would be very worried about the future.

Many seem to think that trading in one form or another is just a paperwork exercise without any real consideration of the reality. A large percentage of the goods manufactured in the UK must indicate they have been manufactured to standards laid down by the EU. Product certificates are issued by an entity acting on behalf of the EU which allows the manufacturer to mark the product as being approved. This is known as CE marking and the symbol is the property of the EU and it is this symbol that is accepted by other countries around the world.

Post brexit, the UK be will outside the EU and like other countries may well have to send products into the EU for testing and approval. They may well rubber stamp existing products but in the future it will be much more difficult and expensive for manufacturers to get product fit for export.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Quite, its a topic that does not get mentioned much, the split between service and manufacturing. I suspect its because manufacturing is going to be hit quite badly and that may impact on a fairly large percentage of the working population. If I was still doing what I did in the 90's I would be very worried about the future.

Many seem to think that trading in one form or another is just a paperwork exercise without any real consideration of the reality. A large percentage of the goods manufactured in the UK must indicate they have been manufactured to standards laid down by the EU. Product certificates are issued by an entity acting on behalf of the EU which allows the manufacturer to mark the product as being approved. This is known as CE marking and the symbol is the property of the EU and it is this symbol that is accepted by other countries around the world.

Post brexit, the UK be will outside the EU and like other countries may well have to send products into the EU for testing and approval. They may well rubber stamp existing products but in the future it will be much more difficult and expensive for manufacturers to get product fit for export.

May has already stated that we will now have to accept regulations that we will have no part in framing.

If Britain wants to retain access to the single European market from the outside, it would still have to abide by EU laws and regulations, but without any influence on their creation. The sense of freedom regained might turn out to be no more than an illusion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, teddog said:

So TM might lose the election?, I think not.  see what sort of majority she gets,it will be overwhelming...yes crash out,just walk away,the EU would not like that,but stuff 'em

The People's Popular Front Stuff 'Em Party, otherwise known as UKIP. Null Seats.

23 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

an illusion

Another illusion busted?

Now Trump may have reversed himself to give the EU priority in a trade deal over the UK. He just needed a little education by Merkel on how Brexit and the EU works.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogeraitken/2017/04/23/merkel-trumps-u-s-putting-eu-ahead-of-britain-in-trade-queue-begs-questions/#579b9c10579b

This is the same policy as Obama announced that Trump originally criticized.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Another illusion busted?

Now Trump may have reversed himself to give the EU priority in a trade deal over the UK. He just needed a little education by Merkel on how Brexit and the EU works.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogeraitken/2017/04/23/merkel-trumps-u-s-putting-eu-ahead-of-britain-in-trade-queue-begs-questions/#579b9c10579b

Amazing that it had to be explained to him, negotiating one trade deal with a bloc consisting of 27 different countries is easier and more profitable than negotiating single stand alone trade deals with just one country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The People's Popular Front Stuff 'Em Party, otherwise known as UKIP. Null Seats.

UKIP in name only have shaped the present govt.policies, Farage alone has done the EU down,not bad with null seats

18 hours ago, onthesoi said:

It's silly to argue over facts :)

Even TM knows the UK deal will be pants ...that's why she needs to form her dictatorship via the GE/THC, she knows the majority of current MPs will not go for it, not because they don't want Brexit(they already voted for that) ..but because the deal will be very very bad for the UK.

The jewel in the crown for me will be the day in the near future, when all the Ukip racists realise that immigration will continue unencumbered, in fact immigration will most likely increase as the UK will need a greater surplus of low paid workers to prop up their terminal economy.

Racist here  lol       Think not  ,but will be selective ie no benefits,come over by all means but leave the sponging hangers on at home.

When Brits emigrate they as a rule go with money,immigrants to the UK come with no money.   TM needs to get rid of the 1 in 7 immigrants already with their nose in the trough out,just starve them out,pay no more benefits to them

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

Ah! The old UKIP racist quote from someone who has lost the argument.

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, teddog said:

Racist here  lol       Think not  ,but will be selective ie no benefits,come over by all means but leave the sponging hangers on at home.

When Brits emigrate they as a rule go with money,immigrants to the UK come with no money.   TM needs to get rid of the 1 in 7 immigrants already with their nose in the trough out,just starve them out,pay no more benefits to them

The charming, warm-hearted Hard Brexiteer guys just say starve them out.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The EU has put forward their guidelines and surprise surprise they wish to consider the interests of the member states. There are those that think their interests should come first and view this as outright aggression, conveniently forgetting statements made by TM.

I had a lodger once that did a moonlight flit without paying the rent and telephone bill, obviously the brexiteer sees this as acceptable behaviour.

Depends if the rent was extortionate !  50 billion for instance.

• Like 2

There is much truth in your post. Many of the farms,especially in the UK have been taken over by very large concerns. While in other countries,such as France , the farm industry is very fragmentated. As we Britexiteers have been saying for a long time. The E.U. Is for the betterment of the large corporations,not for the people.

[/url]  

"
The E.U. Is for the betterment of the large corporations,not for the people"

Substitute E.U for Tory for a more accurate sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The charming, warm-hearted Hard Brexiteer guys just say starve them out.

They've probably been charmed by the 'hug and mug' scam after a few beers, or the 'sick baby ATM' scam by those lovely Romanian travelling folk who provide such a rich contribution to our working class town centres. 

UKIP in name only have shaped the present govt.policies, Farage alone has done the EU down,not bad with null seats

I'll give you that ... persuading a lot of people to vote for something that they will find out soon enough was not in fact in their interests was quite an achievement ... but not great for society.

Should we also dispatch the benefits scroungers with UK passports? People claiming disability who are as fit as a fiddle, those that go from school to welfare and never leave it? I think you'll find more of them exist.

The vast majority of non-UK people that land here from Europe are here to work, pay taxes, do jobs we don't want to do, some of which are essential to businesses. The sort of jobs that our home grown scrounger pool don't wish to do. The non-EU we can reduce whether in or out of the EU ... but choose not to. 

So we'll have less people paying less tax to support a greater and growing number of UK citizens approaching their old age, living longer and therefore adding greater pressure onto the health service. The best chance of avoiding that fate has been wrecked by the dumbest decision ever made by a UK electorate ... which turned out effectively to be an opinion poll on immigration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Another illusion busted?

It's a non-story which has already been discussed. The only source which was quoted directly (and still not named) was a member of the German delegation visiting Trump, which is a good indicator of from where this pile of nonsense has emanated.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you very much for describing me (who voted for UKIP at the last election and will at the next one) as a racist. Being that we do not know each other, have never met nor are we likely to, I take great exception by being called a racist by someone who has little idea of reality.

I will accept your apology should you proffer one on this thread. If however you do not then it shows me and many others that you really have no idea what you are talking about, and should not post things without thinking about and understanding what you will say.

Not all UKIP supporters (or indeed Brexiteers) are racist ... but in a pool of UK born racists, many (the majority) will indeed vote UKIP and for Brexit.   

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It's a non-story which has already been discussed. The only source which was quoted directly (and still not named) was a member of the German delegation visiting Trump, which is a good indicator of from where this pile of nonsense has emanated.

Story reported by Forbes which is a good indicator of truth.

The fact is that Trump has publicly reversed himself. That's not to say he might re-reverse himself.

3 hours ago, teddog said:

34 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I'll give you that ... persuading a lot of people to vote for something that they will find out soon enough was not in fact in their interests was quite an achievement ... but not great for society.

The problem is that 'society' (or more accurately, politicians) has/have already left the majority of the population in a bad position.

Falling or stagnated salaries/extremely poor pension provisions etc. etc. - whilst (of course....) the most affluent enjoy higher salaries/the best pension provisions etc. etc.

With a bit of luck this referendum will result in the populace realising that, having made clear that they were prepared to go against govt. advice once - they can continue to do so - and ensure politicians start thinking about them rather than the most affluent.

teddog is right insofar as UKIP drove the demand for a referendum, and therefore shaped present govt. policies.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're missing the point that salaries have fallen as a consequence of the number of immigrants from poor countries.  Of course employers are happy to pay as little as possible for unskilled staff, and this continues up the 'salary chain'.

Its reached the point where state benefits are required to top-up salaries for many people!

Something went seriously wrong, and allowing uncontrolled immigration from poor countries was one of the things that 'went seriously wrong' IMO.

Salaries are a red herring ... the people that come here for, for example, fruit and vegetable picking will not be replaced by locals ... except perhaps at a very high price that would put the farm out of business ... in which case the farm will be out of business (even less tax revenue, more unemployment) and we will be buying from overseas farmers (who employ overseas workers). 

We can all get back to being ripped off by a local plumber, who charges £100 just to show up at your door!

Better to work on improving the education system to get more young people into value added jobs that by their very nature pay more ... and let foreign workers take the manual jobs that we don't appear to want to do. At some point we might find that robotics take these jobs ... so let's get our people equipped for that future.

25 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The fact is that Trump has publicly reversed himself. That's not to say he might re-reverse himself.

Trump is a latter day snake oil salesman who cannot be taken seriously on any subject. But, to be serious, does anyone really believe that Donald Trump would want a trade deal with the UK that was not stacked heavily in favour of the US?

We won't get any favours from Trump.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Can you (or Forbes) provide a direct quote from any named direct source that backs this alleged 'story' up?