May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

For me it isn't just about the financials, it is an emotional thing about belonging to the big European family, about being at home with my British passport in Europe with the feeling that I am not in a Foreign country I am at home,they just speak a different language. 

Well living here should now have you well prepared to feeling like an alien in Europe.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

For me it isn't just about the financials, it is an emotional thing about belonging to the big European family, about being at home with my British passport in Europe with the feeling that I am not in a Foreign country I am at home,they just speak a different language. 

Soz double post

Edited by goldenbrwn1

Just now, goldenbrwn1 said:

Well living here should now have you well prepared to feeling like an alien in Europe.

I'm an alien here and accepted that because I knew I would be but I have lived most of my working life in Europe,not as a holiday maker, and have got used to the idea that the whole of the EU was my home not just the grotty little island that I turned my back on, so for me it is harder to accept than the average Brit who has only ever known working in the UK

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I escaped the UK when i was 21 and lived in the EU for over 45 years, never went back, not even for a visit and now live in Thailand,wild horses couldn't drag me back to that bland, boring, merry old England.

..... and yet you cherish that British passport.

I wonder if "bland, boring, merry old England." has changed at all in those 45+ years you have been away ?

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"according to think-tank Bruegel"

:cheesy:

Folks, Breugel is a think-tank based in Brussells. It's director is a German who joined it from the European Commission. You just couldn't make this stuff up, could you?

Meanwhile, not a peep from any of the major finance houses about moving en mass to Europe.

Just more of the relentless Project Fear nonsense.

None of the plans are about moving 100% of operations. Brexiteers making up an Aunt Sally as per usual style to knock it down. The article is about the projected net loss of jobs risk to the UK with part of their operations shifting to the EU post-Brexit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

None of the plans are about moving 100% of operations. Brexiteers making up an Aunt Sally as per usual style to knock it down. The article is about the projected net loss of jobs risk to the UK with part of their operations shifting to the EU post-Brexit.

Put your reading glasses on when you read Pegman's posts. He keeps stating categorically the the UK will lose it's financial industry to Europe.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

..... and yet you are grateful for that British passport.

I wonder if "bland, boring, merry old England." has changed at all in those 45+ years you have been away ?

Actually I'm not, I tried to change it for a German one many years ago but it would have cost me around a months wages at the time and my German daughter had just been born so I was short of the ready. I regret that now.

It may have changed I don't know personally but a British acquaintance of mine who recently returned to Thailand after a 3 week visit to the UK to visit his adult children and his second grandchild in Eastbourne described it as a 'sad place to be' which surprised me as I once lived in Eastbourne and found it nicer than many places that I had lived in in the UK.

Edited by soalbundy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Actually I'm not, I tried to change it for a German one many years ago but it would have cost me around a months wages at the time and my German daughter had just been born so I was short of the ready.

It may have changed I don't know personally but a British acquaintance of mine who recently returned to Thailand after a 3 week visit to the UK to visit his adult children and his second grandchild in Eastbourne described it as a 'sad place to be' which surprised me as I once lived in Eastbourne and found it nicer than many places that I had lived in in the UK.

I can understand Eastbourne being a sad place - many friends have said similar.

I had a month in the UK earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

But I have lost the chip that I had on my shoulder and now see it as something much more than a 'grotty little island'. I will never go back to live there, but I am now content to make the occasional visit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Put your reading glasses on when you read Pegman's posts. He keeps stating categorically the the UK will lose it's financial industry to Europe.

It certainly wont, at least not immediately but if things turn bad it will get gradually nibbled away, there is a lot of expertise in the city which will be hard to replace,it's one of the UK's few success stories but nobody and nothing is irreplaceable, the graveyards are full of people who thought they were. 

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I escaped the UK when i was 21 and lived in the EU for over 45 years, never went back, not even for a visit and now live in Thailand,wild horses couldn't drag me back to that bland, boring, merry old England.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

48 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Actually I'm not, I tried to change it for a German one many years ago but it would have cost me around a months wages at the time and my German daughter had just been born so I was short of the ready. I regret that now.

Is there more than one FM posting under the name of soalbundy?

One hates England so much he would never come back, one feels at home with his British passport and one thinks that Eastbourne is a very nice place to live.

Split personality or hypocrite?

• Like 2

561 pages in this thread, is this a record. More seriously, we can only be glad that the UK/EU saga will find its end soon. I am really sympathetic to our british friends, for over 40 years torn between sovereignty, dreams of grandeur, and pragmatism. This won't stop of staying good friends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Is there more than one FM posting under the name of soalbundy?

One hates England so much he would never come back, one feels at home with his British passport and one thinks that Eastbourne is a very nice place to live.

Split personality or hypocrite?

I only have one passport, that passport allowed me to live in places which weren't my country of origin because the UK is in the EU so i could feel at home anywhere in the EU with a British passport (jesus it's like talking to a child)

When I used to live in Eastbourne it was one of the nicer places to live in the UK compared to other places there that I had lived in, it didn't beat anything that I found on the continent,even Helsinki in winter was better

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

561 pages in this thread, is this a record. More seriously, we can only be glad that the UK/EU saga will find its end soon. I am really sympathetic to our british friends, for over 40 years torn between sovereignty, dreams of grandeur, and pragmatism. This won't stop of staying good friends.

And do not forget 200 years of saving Europe from French or German tyranny and enslavement resulting in Napoleonic Wars and 2 world wars and the loss of millions of lives.

Without the UK, Europe today would be a completely different place.

Now waits for the Europhiles to say it is a pity that one of these incidents did not go the other way and that Europe would have been a better place for it.

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I only have one passport, that passport allowed me to live in places which weren't my country of origin because the UK is in the EU so i could feel at home anywhere in the EU with a British passport (jesus it's like talking to a child)

When I used to live in Eastbourne it was one of the nicer places to live in the UK compared to other places there that I had lived in, it didn't beat anything that I found on the continent,even Helsinki in winter was better

OK, hypocrisy it is then

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Just how many places did you live in England to make such a judgement about Eastbourne?

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I hate to say it but this thread is losing its appeal and objectivity for me. There is a clear divide between those who voted to stay and those that voted to leave. What is clear to me the many arguments posted by TV members on the remain, are all could be, maybe, possible and might be. This has been the case since the vote in June 2016. Predictions that have not happened and may happen in the future. We haven't even left the EU yet and it would seem the EU is trying anyway they can, to keep us in. The media and other Europhiles are trying their best to paint a picture of doom without the EU, which I find farcical.

What is clear is that the talks have started and there will be lots of chests thrust out and fists banging. Those here who champion the cause of the EU still seem to demand the UK should stay in. Why when, their seems to be an anger and even appetite for the UK to be destroyed economically.  If the hate for the UK is so strong why doesn't the other member states just say goodbye, we don't want you. The questions answers itself.

From  the express today which sums up the position the UK is in for me. The glass is half full not empty.

"But this study offers a more rounded perspective. It reminds us not to lose sight of the UK’s potent global strengths."

She added: “Our country’s spirit of entrepreneurialism, mastery of technology and renowned business environment all point to a long term, collective, ability to rebuild our economy after Brexit.

"The UK possesses the characteristics to not only withstand, but also capitalize on major change.

"I hope every business leader is looking not just at the risks of Brexit but also the opportunities.” 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/830275/Britain-global-change-Brexit-Boom-KMPG

I know what you mean - at the moment there is little other than biased media and poster speculation.

Sadly, I still find it entertaining to see just how biased both the media and posters can be!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I'm an alien here and accepted that because I knew I would be but I have lived most of my working life in Europe,not as a holiday maker, and have got used to the idea that the whole of the EU was my home not just the grotty little island that I turned my back on, so for me it is harder to accept than the average Brit who has only ever known working in the UK

I sort of know what you mean insofar as I've also found/considered Northern European countries as welcoming and extremely similar - the main, real difference being the language.

But my experience is based on holidays.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Exactly, the build up news stories yesterday from the guardian and independent were basically today we will find out the figures of inflation and really see how brexit is hitting the UK consumers. It came in lower so no follow through story.  Other way round and ...well you get the picture.

Which is precisely why I've largely given up reading the media, unless its clearly actual facts - as opposed to 'he said/she said'....

Weirdly, The Independent (:laugh:) seems to be the worst when it comes to obvious bias - closely followed by the Telegraph and Guardian.

I've always ignored the tabloids.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So you left the UK 45 yrs ago, before the EEC never mind the E.U.   Never to return. Your only connection with the U.K. is your British passport, yet for some strange reason, you resent the British people who have remained,  voting to re-take control of THEIR own country. Interesting. 

His love for Germany, coupled with his hate for England, probably explains a lot about his position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So you left the UK 45 yrs ago, before the EEC never mind the E.U.   Never to return. Your only connection with the U.K. is your British passport, yet for some strange reason, you resent the British people who have remained,  voting to re-take control of THEIR own country. Interesting. 

Resentment is a speciality reserved for the Brexiteers. Shoot the messenger is so the message.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which is precisely why I've largely given up reading the media, unless its clearly actual facts - as opposed to 'he said/she said'....

Weirdly, The Independent (:laugh:) seems to be the worst when it comes to obvious bias - closely followed by the Telegraph and Guardian.

I've always ignored the tabloids.

That's right, stick with the National Enquirer.

national enquirer.jpg

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

And do not forget 200 years of saving Europe from French or German tyranny and enslavement resulting in Napoleonic Wars and 2 world wars and the loss of millions of lives.

Without the UK, Europe today would be a completely different place.

Now waits for the Europhiles to say it is a pity that one of these incidents did not go the other way and that Europe would have been a better place for it.

C'mon who is going to say such a thing? And yes Britain has a recent past, great in many ways, but this irrelevant to the EU/Brexit saga, which is merely the confrontation  of isolationists VS those who have understood that preserving borders will lead to our global demise.