May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

40 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Did't the Pearly Kings wear Flat caps?

Perhaps you can inform us if there are still Cockneys, with their distinct dialect, remaining in London.

Yes, but they don't do rat worrying....being a Cockney is more of a geographical location as in someone born within the sound of Bow Bells. The old school Cockneys really faded away with three events. First the WW2 bombing of the Docklands and secondly the containerisation of shipping which bypassed and finally closed the Docklands down. The third event was the offering of housing in the New Towns such as Harlow in the 1970s. In addition, the growing wealth of London and housing prices is leading to the gentrification of formerly poor areas such as Stratford which is now a train stop on Eurostar. London is a dynamic city and areas have always changed. That is why young, intelligent, educated individuals move to London. The grumpy old gits stay in their Northern redoubts.

• Like 2

Don't know if the paper I'm linking to is considered a serious publication or a light footed/biased one;

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-eea-britain-disastrous-brexit-deal-2017-1

The article advocates UK&EEA as a way to continued access to the Single Market.

I have a feeling that the author, and Farage - who is referenced in the article, don't have the cokplexity of this clear.

If, it would be desirable for UK to be party to EEA after having left the EU the straight forward way to achieve

that would be something along the lines of;

1 - terminate EU membership (with that goes UK's EEA membership down the drain)

2 - become an EFTA member/party

3 - seek for becoming party to EEA

4 - if 2 and 3 is met with YES then all EEA signatories (EU states as well as EFTA states) would have to ratify

the EEA treaty amendments making UK a party to the treaty

(this takes TIME - could probably be done in 2 years time (I'd guess) if concerned states are keen on doing it)

A not so straight forward process.

However, international law is fairly soft in my view, if concerned parties want something and agree on issues then

there are few limitations to what hacks and shortcuts that could be deviced in order to speed things up.

----

There are aspects of EEA which UK might not be overjoyed about.

EU members has the Comm as watchdog.

EFTA members in EEA have ESA as watchdog, ensuring that parties adhere to the rules and implement stipulations in time and correctly.

Now, ESA is an EFTA organ. Switzerland is part of EFTA and not party to EEA.

Yoy may end up in a scenario where red-tapers from Switzerland are policing UKs behaviour in the EEA framework.

(the EEA treaty is weirder than weird)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes, but they don't do rat worrying....being a Cockney is more of a geographical location as in someone born within the sound of Bow Bells. The old school Cockneys really faded away with three events. First the WW2 bombing of the Docklands and secondly the containerisation of shipping which bypassed and finally closed the Docklands down. The third event was the offering of housing in the New Towns such as Harlow in the 1970s. In addition, the growing wealth of London and housing prices is leading to the gentrification of formerly poor areas such as Stratford which is now a train stop on Eurostar. London is a dynamic city and areas have always changed. That is why young, intelligent, educated individuals move to London. The grumpy old gits stay in their Northern redoubts.

Ooh I say.

images (14).jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

London is a dynamic city and areas have always changed. That is why young, intelligent, educated individuals move to London. The grumpy old gits stay in their Northern redoubts.

Almost right but not quite.

London is a dirty polluted city with some of the worst air pollution figures in Europe. It's population is made up mainly of recent immigrants (last 5 decades or so). It also has some of the  highest benefit claimants (percentage wise ) in the country.

The only reason that London remains the capital of the UK is because it would be too expensive to move it elsewhere and who would want all those free loading, snout in the trough MPs on their doorstep.

Average speed of traffic in London is 7.8 MPH expected to drop even further. London, a place for the down and out.

London SW? keep it, you are welcome to it.

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/indicators/topics/londons-geography-population/londons-population-by-country-of-birth/

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/indicators/topics/londons-geography-population/londons-population-by-ethnicity/

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/indicators/topics/receiving-non-work-benefits/housing-benefit-caseload/

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/revealed-average-speed-of-london-traffic-is-just-78mph-a3416446.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Don't know if the paper I'm linking to is considered a serious publication or a light footed/biased one;

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-eea-britain-disastrous-brexit-deal-2017-1

IMHO Business Insider can be an interesting and entertaining read. Lighter than the more heavyweight business sources and tries to be accessible. Occasionally goes off the rails. One of the founders is Henry Blodget who sometimes appears on CNBC. I always like to listen to what he has to say.

11 minutes ago, Flustered said:

The only reason that London remains the capital of the UK is because it would be too expensive to move it elsewhere

Yes. We were thinking of moving the capital to Doncaster.

Edited by SheungWan

18 hours ago, Flustered said:

Immigration is only making matters worse, not better. It is a viscous circle.

The more people you bring in, the more children they have, the more money is needed to support all of these people in local services such as schooling and health so more tax has to be raised and more money has to be borrowed. Then as they grow old, more money is required for pensions and health.

The cycle never ends with a growing population, it is false economics. The population needs reducing so that the cost of services goes down not up. It really is that simple.

I did my bit in the UK. 1 wife, 1 child, 1 divorce.

In Thailand 1 wife, 1 child and no divorce so far.

I am doing my bit for population control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Probably because the people of Doncaster are far more astute and down to earth than those in London. Also another important fact, I very much doubt that she would prefer living in London, over living in Doncaster.

Prefer livin' in Donny? Give over!

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

The article advocates UK&EEA as a way to continued access to the Single Market.

I have a feeling that the author, and Farage - who is referenced in the article, don't have the cokplexity of this clear.

If, it would be desirable for UK to be party to EEA after having left the EU the straight forward way to achieve

that would be something along the lines of;

1 - terminate EU membership (with that goes UK's EEA membership down the drain)

2 - become an EFTA member/party

3 - seek for becoming party to EEA

4 - if 2 and 3 is met with YES then all EEA signatories (EU states as well as EFTA states) would have to ratify

the EEA treaty amendments making UK a party to the treaty

(this takes TIME - could probably be done in 2 years time (I'd guess) if concerned states are keen on doing it)

A not so straight forward process.

However, international law is fairly soft in my view, if concerned parties want something and agree on issues then

there are few limitations to what hacks and shortcuts that could be deviced in order to speed things up.

----

There are aspects of EEA which UK might not be overjoyed about.

EU members has the Comm as watchdog.

EFTA members in EEA have ESA as watchdog, ensuring that parties adhere to the rules and implement stipulations in time and correctly.

Now, ESA is an EFTA organ. Switzerland is part of EFTA and not party to EEA.

Yoy may end up in a scenario where red-tapers from Switzerland are policing UKs behaviour in the EEA framework.

(the EEA treaty is weirder than weird)

"I have a feeling that the author, and Farage - who is referenced in the article, don't have the cokplexity of this clear."

Now that is the word of the week! I shall use that with abandon.

Edited by Grouse

Seems as though some progress and conciliation is being made:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40662740

Though the comments from Keir Starmer reinforce the fact that he is not a fit and proper person for government. Tacit support, with reservations, for the current negotiations would absolutely be the correct position of the opposition. Instead, he continues to be hell-bent (al la Tim Nice But Farron) on playing infantile party politics!!!

Edited by Khun Han

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

Yes please, we can but hope,

There’ll be an ‘EXPLOSION’ Barnier warns of EU meltdown if Britain doesn't pay Brexit bill

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/831064/Brexit-news-Michel-Barnier-EU-meltdown-Britain-refuses-pay-divorce-bill

I read the comments there.

Unbelievable what hate, has accumulated itself in 40 years of European partnership. Ignoring the fact that the UK has played a part in shaping this eu politics over 40 years. Some comments have real hitler level there.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2017 at 6:18 AM, SheungWan said:

The Government is negotiating like a half-wit because of Cameron? What a great blame-school analysis.

OK, you choose to adjust the kilter. You refer to the current Government as a collective, despite Grouse's original reference to individuals ("May and her little band of negotiators...") and my reply which referred to Cameron. Apparently you're a Cameron fan. Well, since you seem unfamiliar with the whole concept of cause & effect, let me spell it out for you using your own wording:

The Government [hastily formed after the then Prime Minister, David Cameron lied to both the general public and also his peers in the House of Lords when he gave assurances that "come what may he would continue to run the country..." after the referendum, unexpectedly reneged on that promise and resigned. To make matters worse for the Government, the then Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne also resigned, and to make matters worse still (at least with regard to Brexit negotiations) so did Jonathan Hill, Britain's most senior diplomat in Brussels and Britain's European Union Commissioner] is negotiating like a half-wit because of Cameron [who, with his public announcements confirming his commitment to continue running the UK regardless of the outcome of the referendum had succeeded in fooling everybody into thinking that that there was a contingency plan in place for either a Remain or Leave outcome... After all, how could a PM remain in his position (as he said he would) unless he had contingency plans in place for both possible outcomes...?]

Not really blame-school son, just cause and effect. You should Google it.

No getting round it, Cameron threw us under the bus. The guy's a disgrace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmybkk said:

OK, you choose to adjust the kilter. You refer to the current Government as a collective, despite Grouse's original reference to individuals ("May and her little band of negotiators...") and my reply which referred to Cameron. Apparently you're a Cameron fan. Well, since you seem unfamiliar with the whole concept of cause & effect, let me spell it out for you using your own wording:

The Government [hastily formed after the then Prime Minister, David Cameron lied to both the general public and also his peers in the House of Lords when he gave assurances that "come what may he would continue to run the country..." after the referendum, unexpectedly reneged on that promise and resigned. To make matters worse for the Government, the then Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne also resigned, and to make matters worse still (at least with regard to Brexit negotiations) so did Jonathan Hill, Britain's most senior diplomat in Brussels and Britain's European Union Commissioner] is negotiating like a half-wit because of Cameron [who, with his public announcements confirming his commitment to continue running the UK regardless of the outcome of the referendum had succeeded in fooling everybody into thinking that that there was a contingency plan in place for either a Remain or Leave outcome... After all, how could a PM remain in his position (as he said he would) unless he had contingency plans in place for both possible outcomes...?]

Not really blame-school son, just cause and effect. You should Google it.

No getting round it, Cameron threw us under the bus. The guy's a disgrace.

Strip out the over-excitable blame throwing and what it seems we are left with here is an acknowledgement from some Hard Brexiteers that they don't have the people in government capable of negotiating the UK's way out of the Brexit paper bag. If they did think they had things under control then there wouldn't be the Its All Cameron's Fault mantra occupying their nightmare hours. Not an edifying sight. PS, I have yet to meet someone who knows what on earth they are saying when they shout 'Google It'. Probably would fall asleep if one started discussing search algorithms.

18 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I hope you covered up your flat cap, braces and cloggies in London.

Actually, even though I was born in the north of England I have lived in many countries and cities, London included. I have never had any issues, as I was brought up with manners and never found any people hostile. If that was an attempt at humour OK. If it wasn't then it failed.

• Like 1