chiang mai forum is not fun any longer

cmtg1

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

plenty of places open past 12 now, whether legally or by other means I won't comment :)

That is not the point,  of course you can always find somewhere behind closed shutters but the bulk of bars close the shutters at 2400 and that kills the atmosphere.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, puck2 said:

Dear hJ,

unfortunately you never have met me .... 77 ys. young.

But it's understandable, we go to CM only for some special reasons.

Read "young expatriate".

And I'm neither British nor American so I do not frequent the same circles as the majority here.

When I lived in Pattaya, I liked to converse with people from different horizon. For example many merchants of all ages trying to survive a little business to stay in the city. There was also a lot of people doing several trips each year for reasons you guess.

A guy who drives a satellite project Ariane Space, another who has mounted a success to restaurant chain in Florida, one who was the secretary of Luc Besson and drowning his regrets in his small bar, a young man who always greeted me in asking me to adopt it.

Many other encounters just as picturesque.

Not to mention the smiling girls everywhere who gave the center an almost childlike joyful atmosphere.

I did not find this to CM. in all places (for expatriates, eh!) I met older like me, sure of their opinion and almost always moralizing.

And so I left the city next March. CM is certainly a nice city, but not for me.

3 hours ago, lordblackader said:

plenty of places open past 12 now, whether legally or by other means I won't comment :)

maybe but the 'normal' bars are not and it's HURTING them

it's absurd but speaks to the OP about 'why'

1 hour ago, rogeroc said:

Yep lets retire to an exotic country for their shopping malls !

I hardly ever go to shopping malls, and mostly go out of my way to avoid visiting them. Twice a year would be about my average. However, ..... I'm not miserable or judgmental enough to be bothered by people who do. 

Shopping is a part of life, and some things are easier or more convenient to find in malls. The fact that somebody visits malls doesn't mean they are not taking in the rest of the local culture, just as eating western food doesn't mean that you never eat local food. They're not mutually exclusive. Unless of course you take the position that if you are going to make assumptions about people - you might as well assume the worst. Par for the course for plenty of the people here.

What was the topic? 

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

It's losing its popularity because FB forums are taking over without the moderation which CMF has, although I do understand and accept the need for moderators to monitor taboo subject matter.

I find CMF very informative mainly for immigration purpose but certainly not for "fun".

Too many posts here seem to be an entry for people to start talking about their "Mom and Pop and the good ole USA".

If it's not any fun for a person..., why would they choose to go to that 'unfun forum' and seemingly troll post the question. Different people are allowed to have different choices..., it's very simple grasshopper.
TV is absolutely like the other TV...., in that; if you don't like it don't turn it on.
Simple and perfect for those with missionary position imagination and room temp IQ !
Maybe OP is better served by becoming a splitter and start a 'fun forum'..., something more akin to their own liking ?

Edited by Sandy Freckle
syntax precision

My take on this, "chiang mai forum is not fun any longer" but was it ever supposed to be?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/4-farang-pub-fun-entertainment-and-expat-life/ would appear to have been set up solely for the purpose of fun.

Chiang Mai forum was set up for Chiang Mai general topics

Bearing that in mind I don't believe this translates to posts being completely dead pan and totally devoid of any humorous reply within "topic".

At times I have almost choked on many good replies of wit.

Not that Chiang Mai forum holds a monopoly, sometimes a post will stray off topic but self correct, other times it will stray further and moderation brings it back on track.
In light of recent events I don't envy the vigilance required of the Mods.

Other times I perceive a lot of intolerance to differing views, being a springboard for some members to espouse a "My Way or Highway" attitude almost to the point of abuse.

A possible cause that may contribute to people changing the channel through disinterest.

With regard to why forum content is presumed to be stagnating, cyberfarang may have hit a few nails and I wouldn't blanket negate all his reasoning.

The demography of people on longer term extension of stays may well have changed or in a mode of change, without a census anyone's anecdotal observations might equally have merit.     

58 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

My take on this, "chiang mai forum is not fun any longer" but was it ever supposed to be?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/4-farang-pub-fun-entertainment-and-expat-life/ would appear to have been set up solely for the purpose of fun.

Chiang Mai forum was set up for Chiang Mai general topics

Bearing that in mind I don't believe this translates to posts being completely dead pan and totally devoid of any humorous reply within "topic".

At times I have almost choked on many good replies of wit.

Not that Chiang Mai forum holds a monopoly, sometimes a post will stray off topic but self correct, other times it will stray further and moderation brings it back on track.
In light of recent events I don't envy the vigilance required of the Mods.

Other times I perceive a lot of intolerance to differing views, being a springboard for some members to espouse a "My Way or Highway" attitude almost to the point of abuse.

A possible cause that may contribute to people changing the channel through disinterest.

With regard to why forum content is presumed to be stagnating, cyberfarang may have hit a few nails and I wouldn't blanket negate all his reasoning.

The demography of people on longer term extension of stays may well have changed or in a mode of change, without a census anyone's anecdotal observations might equally have merit.     

I think you got it Paul Catton!!

I have said it before, and I will repeat it here....... Many relatively new comers(from the USA, anyway) want a Florida retirement community in Chiang Mai but at lower prices than Florida.  This is reflected in the tone and content of their posts on TVF.

Edited by hml367

55 minutes ago, hml367 said:

I think you got it Paul Catton!!

I have said it before, and I will repeat it here....... Many relatively new comers(from the USA, anyway) want a Florida retirement community in Chiang Mai but at lower prices than Florida.  This is reflected in the tone and content of their posts on TVF.

BUT this happened overnight. It didn't evolve over a period of time. It coincided with the upgrade. A month ago one could clic on CMforum and all of the contributing posts on the first page would be within 30-60 minutes. Now the first few are current then it jumps to 6 hours old, 12 hours old, 14 hours old

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

It's not CM that's boring; it's this forum. TV got hijacked a long time ago.

I agree, unpleasant replies abound, humor lacking and most of the politically incorrect posters that made the forum enjoyable a few years ago have abandoned it. Where are the guys that used to joke about "pulling" women from malls by pinning a one thousand baht note to their shirts, now that was humor.

22 hours ago, rogeroc said:

That is not the point,  of course you can always find somewhere behind closed shutters but the bulk of bars close the shutters at 2400 and that kills the atmosphere.

Not even closed shutters, just about anything that's not facing onto a main road (presumably where the police/army can spot them easily) stays open later now. Really, really easy to find a place to drink to until 2-3am if you know where to look.

This has only really happened in the last 12 months though, I was here during the coup and know how strict about it they were, but not now and it continues to get better.

18 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

I hardly ever go to shopping malls, and mostly go out of my way to avoid visiting them. Twice a year would be about my average. However, ..... I'm not miserable or judgmental enough to be bothered by people who do. 

My comment was intended to be light hearted wth just a hint of 'why live away from home for the benefit of shopping'. I think Nancy's comment that i responded to was a bit 'tongue in cheek' as well.

Not even closed shutters, just about anything that's not facing onto a main road (presumably where the police/army can spot them easily) stays open later now. Really, really easy to find a place to drink to until 2-3am if you know where to look.

This has only really happened in the last 12 months though, I was here during the coup and know how strict about it they were, but not now and it continues to get better.

I do know what you mean and there has been a slight improvement but i still think you miss the point about the atmosphere which has pretty well died because of the closures. 

In which area ?

16 hours ago, davehowden said:

It's losing its popularity because FB forums are taking over without the moderation which CMF has, although I do understand and accept the need for moderators to monitor taboo subject matter.

I find CMF very informative mainly for immigration purpose but certainly not for "fun".

Too many posts here seem to be an entry for people to start talking about their "Mom and Pop and the good ole USA".

People wouldn`t get away with even half on facebok with some of the comments they post on TV. Facebook where people can receive a life sentence for just clicking a like.

There just does not seem to be the volume of people visiting

ThaiVisa,and the Chiang Mai forum, maybe due to the change

in format,or having more important things to do,less Farangs,

due to Government crack downs,there could be so many reasons,

but the Chiang Mai forum does not feel the same.

regards worgeordie

Just my two cents worth....

but you have to remember sometimes when you do make a comment , you get shot down in flames, or receive a personal rude message, gets a bit tiring after a while, after all we are all different and allowed to Air our views and thoughts...??

as mentioned just  my two cents worth...

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There just does not seem to be the volume of people visiting

ThaiVisa,and the Chiang Mai forum, maybe due to the change

in format,or having more important things to do,less Farangs,

due to Government crack downs,there could be so many reasons,

but the Chiang Mai forum does not feel the same.

regards worgeordie

AMEN to that but why and why all of a sudden

9 hours ago, jobin said:

DELETED

I don't disagree with you, especially on the Thai forum, but I can't see why it should affect the Chiang Mai forum to this extent. I arrived in Chiang Mai in 2005, didn't join Thai Visa until 2010. I didn't join but I read the forum and used it to find places to travel and where to go locally for products and entertainment. I enjoyed reading the forum, it seemed to me that most of the posters knew  and respected each other. It wasn't uncommon for someone to reply to a post using the authors name not just his user name. It isn't the same place or the same forum anymore, which is to be expected I suppose, but it could still be polite in my opinion.

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

In which area ?

Except Nimman which I rarely frequent (for a reason), everywhere else. Back of Hang Dong, not a problem, around the Night Bazaar, not a problem. Hiya, Chang Phuak, Saithiantham (I hope I spelt that right).... take your pick, plenty of places that trade late now, be it that 99% of them cant be seen from a main through road.