Thai driving licence on a tourist visa in Pattaya

FritzB

Can I get a Thai driving licence on a (single entry) tourist visa in Pattaya?

I know it can be done in Chiang Mai (a friend did it on a TR visa couple of weeks ago), but this seems to vary across the country.

If yes, can I also get a residence certificate in Pattaya or will I need to ask my embassy for one?

Yes  on the visa and yes on the residence certificate    if you want car and motorbike licence and apply at the same time the DLT will except one original and one copy of residence certificate.

if you have a licence from your home country ( in English) then you can skip the  computer theory and practical driving parts of the test..just have to do the reaction and vision tests.

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes  on the visa and yes on the residence certificate    if you want car and motorbike licence and apply at the same time the DLT will except one original and one copy of residence certificate.

if you have a licence from your home country ( in English) then you can skip the  computer theory and practical driving parts of the test..just have to do the reaction and vision tests.

I do have a full UK driving licence.

Do you know if Immi in Jomtien will issue me a residence certificate and if yes, what do they need for that?

Yes Jomtien will give you a certificate of residence,you'll need your passport and a passport sized photo,evidence of where you are staying hotel bill or rental contract,application form and at last count 400 baht fee.
Wait for anything from 30 mins to come back next day.

As you have a full UK licence (car ? ) then you should be able to avoid doing the full test just reaction and eyesight test then digital photo and plastic license issued at the DLT next door to the Regents international school. If you also want motorbike license then you'll need that entitlement on your UK license too otherwise you'll have to do the full motorbike test
You can use 1 original and 1 copy of residence certificate if you apply for both licenses at the same time (save 400 baht )