tourist visa are just a pain in the b...!

if I want a visa here in Europe to go to Thailand, I need rent a car, drive 4 hours and come back from the Thai embassy. 8 h total if all go well. then bring car to the rental agency and back by train to my home. and I need to refuel and pay parking and wake up at 4 am. and in winter (soon).

on top of that they want I apply 1 month in advance then wait 14 days when approved. and they say I need a work certificate.... but I don't work anymore.

and I am talking about a simple freaking Thai tourist visa with 1 entry ONLY!!! . not an American visa for 10 years.

it means I have to redo all the trip again... after I m back from Thailand.

come on! this has to stop.

What you are saying appears quite unusual for a single entry tourist visa anywhere in Europe, if you are a national of the country where you are applying. As suggested, reveal your nationality, and where you live. Other useful information: how often and for how long do you visit Thailand? I can sense your frustration, but there can be various alternative solutions to mitigate your issues. It is hard to know what to suggest just based on you saying getting a tourist visa is currently problematic.

Although I haven't had to get a tourist visa for many years. In the UK it was always easier in a Consulate than at the Embassy. If you have a consulate in your Country, give them a ring and you may find that you can do it by post.

Given your circumstances regarding travel (no mail application possible?) it may be an option to enter Thailand on visa exempt and get a SETV from a bordered country here. If you took this option, you may need to get (a cheap) onward flight ticket to satisfy whichever airline you fly with.

As long as you don't have multiple visa exempts in your passport, this method would potentially extend your stay in Thailand by 60 days hassle free. If that is an advantage to you.

Well I am in New Zealand.. applying for a multiple entry tourist visa... filled in the forms sent it all of by courier, then I am told I must travel to Auckland (2 1/2 hours) to do it personally.. could have easily been 5 hours away..

And what was the difference when I turned up in person.. NOTHING...

But for friends in Thailand, I would never bother to go back.. and will in future spend as little time as I can there...

But I guess the Thai authorities don't really care... after all there is a whole new wave of tourists from China - and the Chinese sure have a bad reputation in NZ....

It's the easiest thing ever by post to Queen's Gate, London.

I presume it's the same in all major countries.

A few basic rules to follow which are well spelt out on the website. A little expensive and the fact that you now cannot get the double entry but have to pay more for a multiple doesn't really suit my needs, but it might one day.

My only slight bitch is that they want payment by postal order which is quaint and easy but adds a lot to the costs as well.

Cheques clearly add to admin costs, but I believe that when Hull could do postal applications they accepted card payment.

• Like 1

Most Europeans can have a tourist visa on arrival by airplane for  30 days or more depending on the country. So not complete understand why you have to do what you say.

there is to much actual needed information missing.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

As others have suggested, surely you can post the pp and documentation?

If not, take the advice of an earlier poster, arrive on visa exempt and nip off to a nearby country, see a bit of Thailand, and a bit less of a neighbouring country.

I have searched high and low on this thread, and cannot for the life of me figure out how you  and several others know the OP's nationality, right to visa exempt entry, and postal option for visa application. Can someone please quote what I have missed. Thanks.

• Like 2

In Australia (Perth),  for a SETV, you now need to show a bank statement showing a minimum of A$800.00 (for each person travelling), and proof of place of stay, as well as a copy of your return ticket ( make sure it has your eTicket number). The Visa form changed in August after the bombings.

The people in the Royal Thai Consulate in Perth were very helpful, and made suggestions as to how to fill the requirements.

3 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Suggest you visit another country which does not require a visa.

Why bother. There are plenty of other countries that don't make you jump through hoops for the privilege of going there to spend your money. Thailand quite obviously doesn't care whether you come or not, or they'd make it simple. Like Cambodia just has, I believe. Thailand's problem is that it thinks everyone is desperate to visit because it's the best place in the world.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have searched high and low on this thread, and cannot for the life of me figure out how you  and several others know the OP's nationality, right to visa exempt entry, and postal option for visa application. Can someone please quote what I have missed. Thanks.

You've gotta assume he's English and living in the UK. If he does not want to be more specific there's not much anyone can do to help him.

18 hours ago, Grubster said:

If we had to jump through the hoops aThai has to to go to one of our countries, most of us would have never come here.

If our nation's GDP was 10%+ Tourism - foreigners spending foreign-earned capital - they might make it easier.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

.. Thailand's problem is that it thinks everyone is desperate to visit because it's the best place in the world.

Yes, and they have a point, because in many ways, it is.  It's why many do jump through all the hoops.  That said, they could bring in far more wealth to Thailand if they opened / re-opened additional options to those with foreign-capital to spend in their country.  Instead, they let Billions of Baht that would otherwise be spent in Thailand go to Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.  This is unfortunate.

23 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Well I am in New Zealand.. applying for a multiple entry tourist visa... filled in the forms sent it all of by courier, then I am told I must travel to Auckland (2 1/2 hours) to do it personally.. could have easily been 5 hours away..

And what was the difference when I turned up in person.. NOTHING...

But for friends in Thailand, I would never bother to go back.. and will in future spend as little time as I can there...

But I guess the Thai authorities don't really care... after all there is a whole new wave of tourists from China - and the Chinese sure have a bad reputation in NZ....

I'm sure you'll be missed milesinnz!!!

Every time I'm in Indonesia I am screwed around by the police looking for tea money.  It's cost me no more than about $10 over 30+ years, but I love the place so it doesn't stop me from going there.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, Yahooka said:

Why not apply through mail ?

There is no doubt the process could and should be easier, simpler and cheaper. At a time when Western (read quality) tourism is declining, there should be a major effort on the part of the government to re-attract (non zero baht) tourists and make it easier for them to get visas. In this fashion the economy will thrive and millions will be more prosperous. 

• Like 1

When visas are hassle in your home country, just come on visa exempt entry when possible then extend that for 30 days then grab a setv if want more time locally in laos, cambodia, malaysia, vietnam, bali for example, round trip inc all fees to likes of savannakhet can be done for 4,000bt & is easy pleasant process if take time do little research & prepare docs & travel times with bit of thought .

• Like 2

Visas are a necessary evil.

They are designed to protect us, amongst other things. Keep undesirables out.

I've never found Thailand difficult in this respect. I suppose it depends where you come from.

Some of the "job's worths" can be difficult and the country is good at producing those, especially when they are wearing a little uniform.

However, you get them everywhere. 

Perhaps, the OP should keep in mind that, eventually, he will need a physician to attest that he is in good mental health.  He deserves credit for not bringing out the "go back to your own country" TV Choir...he didn't make it that far.  Making simple things sound like a monumental task is very common here among many of the retirees.  One guy comes over every time he does a 90 day report like a kindergartner at show-n-tell.  I've told him to mail it in till I'm blue in the face, but the coin just doesn't drop.  Many misfits have found Cambodia to be more welcoming as far as immigration matters....

I can get a tourist visa, I got many from lao. what I don't want is to pay a rental car then travel 10 hours plus fuel and else, then just be told at the window : "sir, do you have a job.?" well no, I have no job this is why I go Thailand for 3 months.

"well sir you need to show us your job contract or we can not issue you a visa. sorry.... "

at least in Lao I will get my visa after a 30 days free entry.

so f... these embassies who make problem. no money from me for sure.
and I let you remember that in 2008 tourist visa were free for 2 years(even 2 entries were given for free) . I got 2 or 3 visa sent by post. all free.

15 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

I can get a tourist visa, I got many from lao. what I don't want is to pay a rental car then travel 10 hours plus fuel and else, then just be told at the window : "sir, do you have a job.?" well no, I have no job this is why I go Thailand for 3 months.

"well sir you need to show us your job contract or we can not issue you a visa. sorry.... "

at least in Lao I will get my visa after a 30 days free entry.:huh:

and I let you remember that in 2008 tourist visa were free for 2 years(even 2 entries were given for free) . I got 2 or 3 visa sent by post. all free.

:huh::huh:

19 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

at least in Lao I will get my visa after a 30 days free entry.

We understand your point that, in your specific country, and because of the distance from the consulate, and presumably because postal applications are not accepted, it is inconvenient for you to get a tourist visa. We cannot judge because you have only told us you are in Europe which covers a pretty big area.

I am also a European (at least for the moment). The last time I was back in the UK, I spent a few days in Cardiff. Getting a tourist visa involved a 15 minute journey to the honorary consulate and a 20 minute wait (only requirement photos and visa fee).

I do not think your problem is a natural consequence of being in Europe. If you let us know where you are and your nationality, perhaps we can suggest a solution. If you just want to moan and are not seeking a solution, forget I wrote.

• Like 2