British Embassy CC risk

I'm in the process of sending off the relevant information for my yearly Confirmation of Income letter from the British Embassy.

Previously I've paid by a money order from a Post Office. Now I see the only means of payment is by CC. I am now to download the relevant form and include ALL my CC details and send it through the post?

If, in the event I had to make a claim for fraudulent use of my CC I'm sure the company would tell me it was my fault for putting all the information in the post.

I can assure the OP that paying for his income confirmation letter by credit card is probably a lot safer than he fears - based on my own experience of paying for my latest letter in this way last May, which had no adverse consequences for my credit card account.

In my view this definitely beats having to purchase a money order - a task which has often proved particularly difficult in my case by the language barrier which exists between the staff at my local post office and myself!

I agree with the OP that placing all your credit card information in a form sent over regular post in Thailand is a bit scary. I am aware that credit card companies provide some protection over stolen card data. However, as he OP says, if those protections fail, the company could accuse you of negligence in not keeping the details secure.

My own tendency when worried about the security of such data is to use a debit card tied to a bank account with a limited balance. That should prevent you being faced with a big loss, even in the worst case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I agree with the OP that placing all your credit card information in a form sent over regular post in Thailand is a bit scary. I am aware that credit card companies provide some protection over stolen card data. However, as he OP says, if those protections fail, the company could accuse you of negligence in not keeping the details secure.

My own tendency when worried about the security of such data is to use a debit card tied to a bank account with a limited balance. That should prevent you being faced with a big loss, even in the worst case.

Definitely risky if you just bung a 5 THB stamp on the envelope and shove it in a letterbox. But using EMS, as recommended by the Embassy,  does, I think, reduce the risk while not eliminating it entirely (which is impossible, of course).

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Definitely risky if you just bung a 5 THB stamp on the envelope and shove it in a letterbox. But using EMS, as recommended by the Embassy,  does, I think, reduce the risk while not eliminating it entirely (which is impossible, of course).

EMS greatly increases the chances of a successful delivery. I am not sure it decreases the odds of the contents being leaked during transit. It is possible, indeed, that the ill-intentioned could see EMS items as being more attractive to monitor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

EMS greatly increases the chances of a successful delivery. I am not sure it decreases the odds of the contents being leaked during transit. It is possible, indeed, that the ill-intentioned could see EMS items as being more attractive to monitor.

true EMS being the better of two evils

3 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

If you don't trust EMS use DHL or do it in person.

3 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

gut don't forget the embassy will require a by appointment only  visit    so leave at least 5 days to achieve this

This service is only available by postal application.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

In which case there is surely even more to worry about when we submit our passport renewal applications, which these days can only be paid for by credit or debit card transactions processed in the UK. Since it takes much longer for an EMS item of mail to travel from With-It Tower in Bangkok to HMPO's Liverpool office than from a typical Thai post office to the British Embassy in Bangkok in view of the considerably greater distance involved, the risk of contents leakage during transit are potentially correspondingly greater, and cannot be ruled out even at the UK end. But, unless we are prepared to travel back to the UK to renew our passports there, what choice do we have other than to accept this risk on top of the absurdity of The Great With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience in general?

Edited by OJAS

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

I don't think sending it by EMS has any greater risk than doing a online purchase using a card.

I have sent many things by EMS here and have never had a case of one being opened.

The US embassy and others send passports by EMS.