Group: Russia, Saudi don't belong on UN human rights council 

webfact

Group: Russia, Saudi don't belong on UN human rights council 

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The candidacies of Saudi Arabia and Russia for the U.N.'s top human rights body are compromised by their actions in Yemen and Syria respectively, where they have been accused of unlawful attacks on civilians, a prominent rights group said Tuesday.

Human Rights Watch said the two countries' membership bids risked undermining the credibility of the U.N. Human Rights Council and its ability to hold rights abusers accountable.

"The U.N. Human Rights Council's ability to successfully expose and hold violators to account is under threat because a number of countries use it to thwart attempts to expose their own crimes and abuses," said Louis Charbonneau, U.N. director at Human Rights Watch.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International had earlier called for suspending Saudi Arabia from the Human Rights Council over illegal attacks on civilians in Yemen where more than 11,000 civilians have been killed or wounded since March 2015.

In Syria, Russia has been accused of carrying out airstrikes that have indiscriminately killed and wounded countless civilians.

The group also flagged the candidacies of China and Egypt for their poor human rights records.

The General Assembly will hold elections for the 47-nation council on Oct. 28.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-25

16 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Boy your looking at a country that cuts of your head hands or feet and another country that is bombing and killing innocent people in Syria. I cannot recall the 3 countries you mention doing that but then I have been know to be wrong. 

How many people suffered amputations in Saudi Arabia over the last few years? 

Of course the US, Britain, France and their allies only bomb bad combatants. And never ever shirk their poor HR issues and war crimes.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Of course the US, Britain, France and their allies only bomb bad combatants. And never ever shirk their poor HR issues and war crimes.

Got to admit you have a point. Seems the more civilized you are the worse it gets. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Got to admit you have a point. Seems the more civilized you are the worse it gets. 

Not sure if its because of my age - grumpy cynical old bugger that I am fast becoming. But I'm become more and more critical of countries I once thoroughly respected. 

Or maybe its just the availability of much much more uncensored information these days!

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Not sure if its because of my age - grumpy cynical old bugger that I am fast becoming. But I'm become more and more critical of countries I once thoroughly respected. 

Or maybe its just the availability of much much more uncensored information these days!

Old age has another benefit we have the opportunity to go back in time and revisit all the Horse pucky that went on while we were struggling with wives, kids, jobs, houses, cars holidays and saving money which now seems almost worthless thanks to the Fed. It shows us how crummy the world was while we distracted with life. The government said save for your retirement which I did faithfully and look at what I have now. 0 interest rates, 0 increase in my pensions market manipulations in the stock market where I am supposed to put my money to suppliment my meager pension. A lying Fed, government, politicians, wall street, main street are all mean streets now. Sorry must sign off and check my blood pressure. 

Ahead of elections to the UN Human Rights Council (HRC) this fall, Amnesty International and the International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) hosted a Q and A at UN headquarters in New York with candidate States ... Candidates China, Cuba, Egypt, Malaysia, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, South Africa  either did not respond to the invitation or refused to participate.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/07/a-majority-of-states-running-for-the-human-rights-council-participate-in-pledging-event/

I grew up learning that Russia(USSR) is the big bad bear that we need to defend against... now I'm older and believe that US is the big bad eagle that we really need to worry about! US only have some 60 days in total NOT being at war sins... December 1941 when they joined WWII!

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I grew up learning that Russia(USSR) is the big bad bear that we need to defend against... now I'm older and believe that US is the big bad eagle that we really need to worry about! US only have some 60 days in total NOT being at war sins... December 1941 when they joined WWII!

What country has the US invaded,  taken territory,  and kept that territory,  in the past 50 years. For Russia,  that would be Moldova,  Georgia,  Ukraine,  Chechnya,  ???

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/27/7_parts_of_russia_that_other_countries_could_call_theirs_partner/

On October 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM, elgordo38 said:

Old age has another benefit we have the opportunity to go back in time and revisit all the Horse pucky that went on while we were struggling with wives, kids, jobs, houses, cars holidays and saving money which now seems almost worthless thanks to the Fed. It shows us how crummy the world was while we distracted with life. The government said save for your retirement which I did faithfully and look at what I have now. 0 interest rates, 0 increase in my pensions market manipulations in the stock market where I am supposed to put my money to suppliment my meager pension. A lying Fed, government, politicians, wall street, main street are all mean streets now. Sorry must sign off and check my blood pressure. 

Now we only need for the dollar to drop to 25 baht to double the dose of the blood pressure meds. I hope not but?

On October 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Baerboxer said:

157 heads chopped off with the sword in 2015, 45 on the 2nd of Jan. 2016. Countless numbers of hands severed. Many of these executions are for adultery or sodomy. Hands for theft.  If a Saudi says you did it, you did it. Killing your wife is often allowed if you think she may have been unfaithful.

13 hours ago, Grubster said:

Now we only need for the dollar to drop to 25 baht to double the dose of the blood pressure meds. I hope not but?

The baht is on a tear jumping right over "the event" and is continuing its climb. Now is the climb due to outstanding economic activity here or just a face saving move to say "See the junta is performing well" I lean towards the latter. It will look great up to the point where it isn't but then that applies to all the big business government lies being told world wide. In this case there are lies and damn lies. Damn the lies.

11 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

The baht is on a tear jumping right over "the event" and is continuing its climb. Now is the climb due to outstanding economic activity here or just a face saving move to say "See the junta is performing well" I lean towards the latter. It will look great up to the point where it isn't but then that applies to all the big business government lies being told world wide. In this case there are lies and damn lies. Damn the lies.

I get the feeling that they are keeping the baht high while they make their overseas investments, then it will come down as the economy here so desperately needs it to.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I get the feeling that they are keeping the baht high while they make their overseas investments, then it will come down as the economy here so desperately needs it to.

You have a point. The rich and elite have just about wrung out every ounce of profit here that they can and now like their rich cousins elsewhere are looking elsewhere to R and Pillage. Its called the Financial Crusades. 

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

You have a point. The rich and elite have just about wrung out every ounce of profit here that they can and now like their rich cousins elsewhere are looking elsewhere to R and Pillage. Its called the Financial Crusades. 

Yes and then when the baht does crash they can cash in their foreign wealth and buy Thailand. Rather simple really. Its a double edged sword both sides cutting the heart out of the common folks here.

Just now, Grubster said:

Yes and then when the baht does crash they can cash in their foreign wealth and buy Thailand. Rather simple really. Its a double edged sword both sides cutting the heart out of the common folks here.

Cutting out the hearts of common folk is a world wide sport. 10 companies control all we eat sleep  sh*t and drive. We are the captive audience of a bunch of global highwaymen who say "Stand and deliver" like in empty out your pockets.  

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Cutting out the hearts of common folk is a world wide sport. 10 companies control all we eat sleep  sh*t and drive. We are the captive audience of a bunch of global highwaymen who say "Stand and deliver" like in empty out your pockets.  

We are lucky to be old, those trying to get by now are going to have a bad go at it. You and I are lucky to have the money that these younger guys will not have. England has already cut off cost of living increases for their expats, in a period of high inflation this could cut their buying power in half. I bet the US follows suit soon. I keep an address there just in case.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:15 PM, elgordo38 said:

Boy your looking at a country that cuts of your head hands or feet and another country that is bombing and killing innocent people in Syria. I cannot recall the 3 countries you mention doing that but then I have been know to be wrong. 

America. the UK.

1 hour ago, CharlieK said:

America. the UK.

Its one thing killing innocents by mistake when you are trying to protect them. Its another think to target them. Really is a big difference there. We [ the west ] killed a lot of innocents in WW2, should we have just let things be?

Interesting article.

Iran minister: 'Kill fewer criminals' Iran minister: 'Kill fewer criminals' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37810437

Amnesty figures released in April stated that Iran, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are responsible for 89% of the world's judicial executions.

However, this does not take account of China, where thousands are believed to be killed and the records kept secret.