Home Brew Wine...

Cuban

Title says it all really, I'm looking for any thoughts or experainces related to home brew wines from either grape or of even more interest personally other fruits. I'm guessing Thai customs turn a blind eye to locals knocking up some rice wine and maybe the development of the wine into Lao Khao by boiling/freezing etc.

There is an industrial plant nearby that produces pure ethanol for various product and blinding would be drunks!

I was going to post this on the alcohol board but after reading a few posts I consider that might not be wise.

My first thoughts before any personal experiments relate to a brew based on the humble pineapple or the spikey brown Salat, a tart wine with heavy lemon tones would be my guess at the result. Maybe Custard Apple. :o

Title says it all really, I'm looking for any thoughts or experainces related to home brew wines from either grape or of even more interest personally other fruits. I'm guessing Thai customs turn a blind eye to locals knocking up some rice wine and maybe the development of the wine into Lao Khao by boiling/freezing etc.

There is an industrial plant nearby that produces pure ethanol for various product and blinding would be drunks!

I was going to post this on the alcohol board but after reading a few posts I consider that might not be wise.

My first thoughts before any personal experiments relate to a brew based on the humble pineapple or the spikey brown Salat, a tart wine with heavy lemon tones would be my guess at the result. Maybe Custard Apple. :D

:D

When I worked in Saudi we made wine for our own use. Nothing fancy, just for our own enjoyment. Cheap and dirty stuff. Otherwise we had no booze in Saudi.

Wine is easy to make. Those plastic water coolers you see in office water coolers make good containers. Use pure grape juice, NO PERSERVATIVES, or the product will come out bad. We used an Swiss grape juice called Ova (brand name) which was 100% juice. Comes in red and white grape juice, for red and white wine. You need to use a tight fitting rubber top that fits the container to make an air-tight seal. Put a small hole in the plug which you can put a piece of plastic tubing through. Make sure it is air-tight, you don't want any foriegn yeast/fungi to get in. Run the tube into a water bottle filled with water, so no air gets into your batch. When it starts fermenting you will see bubbles coming up through the water.

Don't worry much about the yeast. Almost any yeast will work. You will have to experiment a bit at first to get the right amount of sugar and yeast. Keep it in a warm place, but not too hot. once it starts fermenting, and you see bubbles coming out of the water bottle, let it go until you are down to one or two bubbles a minute. It is ready to bottle. Siphon it off,being careful not to get any more of the sediment than you absolutely have to. Don't fill the bottles to the top, if the fermentation is completely finished the bottles may pop. not good for your storage area. Cork or plug the bottles, let them sit until any sediment has settled out. Keep thm in a cool dark place, but not so cold you will freeze it.

I've tried apple juice. At first I thought it failed, the sediment tooka long time to settle out. Thought it was a bust, so just let it sit for about two months. Almost forgot about it. Was near Xmas, and remembered that there was still some bottles of apple wine. Opened it, and it was fantastic stuff.

Like I say, I've never tried to make "quality" stuff. just wine (plonk) for my own use. I'm not a expert on it, but I have made some rather tasty wine that definately put a 'glow" on me and my guests.

Tip: to get the wine out one of those clamps like they use for medical purposes is good to use for the plastic tubing. You can open it to drain the wine, then close the clamp while you are changing bottles. otherwise you are likely to spill some wine while trying to switch bottles once one is full.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I believe that home brewing anything is illegal in Thailand without the relevent licence. I own a home brewing store in Australia and was interested in doing some fermentation here in Chiang Mai but found out that I legally couldn't. I suppose its the same as distillation in Australia, its illegal but it is done. :o Here are some links that might help:

www.brewcraft.com.au

www.essencia.com.au

www.stillspirits.com.au

www.qbrew.com.au

PM if you want to know anything else about brewing......

I believe that home brewing anything is illegal in Thailand without the relevent licence. I own a home brewing store in Australia and was interested in doing some fermentation here in Chiang Mai but found out that I legally couldn't. I suppose its the same as distillation in Australia, its illegal but it is done. :o Here are some links that might help:

www.brewcraft.com.au

www.essencia.com.au

www.stillspirits.com.au

www.qbrew.com.au

PM if you want to know anything else about brewing......

Anyone can brew wine, beer or spirits legally in New Zealand.

It is cheap and easy using " kits " of extract ( for beer ).

I make 32 large bottles of beer for around NZ$12.

Wadsy, can you send these kits to Thailand?

P.S. not there yet but need a plan.

The nearest home brew shop to Thailand is in Singapore, I was going to bring Coopers home brew kit over with me as a pressie for a mate of mine who in actual fact is a police officer in Thailand, good job I have read this post.

I was unaware that home brewing is illegal.

The nearest home brew shop to Thailand is in Singapore, I was going to bring Coopers home brew kit over with me as a pressie for a mate of mine who in actual fact is a police officer in Thailand, good job I have read this post.

It isn't - as long as you make it for home consumption and not sell it. Same as most countries.

I brought all my home brew stuff here when I moved and "accidentally" included a few (ok 12 cans) of liquid malt. The temp here (Chiang Mai) is similar to Oz so you will need a good Hot yeast - do not even think about sticking bread yeast in with it. Buy a dozen packets of Coopers yeast which will work well in the heat.

Beer needs:

Malt

Dextrose

Yeast

Hops

Water

The Malt can be found if you look around in the health food shops - buy it by the kilo.

The Hops are harder to get hold of and you may have to consider getting them sent over from home as part of a "home survival pack" If you are lucky you can do the same with liquid yeast but to be honest I find they brew out way too fast in the heat so unless you make a cool water jacket or make the brew under ground are not really an option.

I had a truly serendipidous visit to the Rimping supermarket and they had a six pack of Coopers Ale (red) which is a) truly wonderful stuff and :o made as a huge scale home brew with natural fermentation and carbonisation so I just drank most of the bottle and kept the last cm with the yeast sediment, added a bit of dextrose and water, capped it with a rubber bung and airlock as in a few days there was my yeast ready for rounds 2-5. tragically I have not seen any more of it since. Nor will they bring in supplies of malt, yeast, or dextrose (see below)

Dextrose - this is where the whole thing comes unstuck - I have not been able to find a supply of dextrose and the only alternative would be to use cane sugar (erg) or do a full malt fermentation. Dextrose is corn sugar and much superior to cane sugar for home brewing.

Oh last thing - for your own sake remember to use clean filtered water - nothing ruins a good home brew faster than bad water, well except for rogue yeasts, infections, dirty bottles.

Hope this helps out

It isn't - as long as you make it for home consumption and not sell it. Same as most countries.

I brought all my home brew stuff here when I moved and "accidentally" included a few (ok 12 cans) of liquid malt. The temp here (Chiang Mai) is similar to Oz so you will need a good Hot yeast - do not even think about sticking bread yeast in with it. Buy a dozen packets of Coopers yeast which will work well in the heat.

Beer needs:

Malt

Dextrose

Yeast

Hops

Water

The Malt can be found if you look around in the health food shops - buy it by the kilo.

The Hops are harder to get hold of and you may have to consider getting them sent over from home as part of a "home survival pack" If you are lucky you can do the same with liquid yeast but to be honest I find they brew out way too fast in the heat so unless you make a cool water jacket or make the brew under ground are not really an option.

I had a truly serendipidous visit to the Rimping supermarket and they had a six pack of Coopers Ale (red) which is a) truly wonderful stuff and :o made as a huge scale home brew with natural fermentation and carbonisation so I just drank most of the bottle and kept the last cm with the yeast sediment, added a bit of dextrose and water, capped it with a rubber bung and airlock as in a few days there was my yeast ready for rounds 2-5. tragically I have not seen any more of it since. Nor will they bring in supplies of malt, yeast, or dextrose (see below)

Dextrose - this is where the whole thing comes unstuck - I have not been able to find a supply of dextrose and the only alternative would be to use cane sugar (erg) or do a full malt fermentation. Dextrose is corn sugar and much superior to cane sugar for home brewing.

Oh last thing - for your own sake remember to use clean filtered water - nothing ruins a good home brew faster than bad water, well except for rogue yeasts, infections, dirty bottles.

Hope this helps out

Thanks for the info Crow Boy.

Are you sure about home use being legal?

I have asked questions on TV before about this very topic but all I got was negative comments.

You obviously brew from scratch, boiling all the ingredients ect..

I have been brewing for years using the canned extracts and all I have to do is add sugar and water ( I brew for consunption ) and I just find it so easy and fast.

When I was a kid, my friends father used to brew beer under the house using bread yeast and now and then we would liberate a bottle or two.

It was terrible stuff. I know the yeast is important these days.

If brewing isnt illegal for home use why cant someone or yourself import the cans of extract.

Thanks for the info.

Seems I read somewhere the laws are strict because of all the Thai moon shining and all the money folks are making with the few legal version allowed to be brewed.

This thread brings back fond memories of living in Boulder, CO (the homebrew capital of the world)...everyone homebrewed there and you could get some really nice ingredients there. I'll never forget saving up and buying my first glass set of bottles instead of using plastic water 5 gallon jugs...

Paul

Thanks for the info Crow Boy.

Are you sure about home use being legal?

I have asked questions on TV before about this very topic but all I got was negative comments.

I wandered to my neighbour's house with a couple of cold beers and we had a discussion about it - he likes my home brew and is a Thai cop so it has some benefit. He said that it is legal to home brew beer if it is for personal use only at home, and not for sale. The law prevents anyone making it for sale without a license. He said that if the police found out you were making 2,000 instead of 20 litres they would be happy to come by and confiscate it.

Distilled spirits are different but still slightly the same - you can make a "small" amount for home use but definitely not for sale.

The bottom line is how much - make too much and the government/police miss out on the legal and extra judicial taxes on it.

You obviously brew from scratch, boiling all the ingredients ect..

I have been brewing for years using the canned extracts and all I have to do is add sugar and water ( I brew for consunption ) and I just find it so easy and fast.

In Oz I used to do canned malt extract, unhopped malt extract, and full grain mash brewing. It depended on why I was making it and how much time I had. If I did a canned extract I almost always did a boil and added some extra hops and then sometimes add a finishing hop during the fermentation. If I did a unhopped malt I would sometimes mix different types and then play with my own hop combinations. The full grain mashes are a lot more work but a lot of fun and interesting. You really feel like you are making real beer but some of my best batches ever have been using canned extract.

Here in Chaing Mai because of the problems with getting the ingredients it is more limiting in what I can do and how I have to do it.

When I was a kid, my friends father used to brew beer under the house using bread yeast and now and then we would liberate a bottle or two.

It was terrible stuff. I know the yeast is important these days.

the type of yeast directly affects the flavour. Use bread yeast to make bread - another thing I can't get here is good bread mix to make my own.
If brewing isnt illegal for home use why cant someone or yourself import the cans of extract.

Thanks for the info.

it is a food product and the importation of food products is restriced. A friend of mine was heavily into body building and he could buy human grade anabolic steroids from the chemist but had to smuggle in whey powder for protein mixes - go figure.

Seems I read somewhere the laws are strict because of all the Thai moon shining and all the money folks are making with the few legal version allowed to be brewed.

you have it in a nutshell - all governments are the same, if they are missing out on tax then they jump in and ban it.

This thread brings back fond memories of living in Boulder, CO (the homebrew capital of the world)...everyone homebrewed there and you could get some really nice ingredients there. I'll never forget saving up and buying my first glass set of bottles instead of using plastic water 5 gallon jugs...

Ahh Bolder great home and micro brewing state. Some excellent beers along the West Coast, I had a few memorable stops in Oregon as well. Amost made me think that you Americans can actually make beer, then someone handed me a Bud lite and I realised how wrong I was. :o

When I left Oz I had a HUGE goodby party and handed out over 2,000 bottles of home brew all in 375ml bottles that I had collected over the years. There was wheat beers, stouts, lagers, ales and eveything in between. Brought tears to my eyes as all my mates slid sideways up the drive way after a full days BBQ drinking and holding onto a carton of 24-48 beers

Question - plastic bottles? how do you gas it? Do I really want to know?

have fun and remember drinking and driving are not mutually acceptable activities.

you have it in a nutshell - all governments are the same, if they are missing out on tax then they jump in and ban it.

Ahh Bolder great home and micro brewing state. Some excellent beers along the West Coast, I had a few memorable stops in Oregon as well. Amost made me think that you Americans can actually make beer, then someone handed me a Bud lite and I realised how wrong I was. :o

When I left Oz I had a HUGE goodby party and handed out over 2,000 bottles of home brew all in 375ml bottles that I had collected over the years. There was wheat beers, stouts, lagers, ales and eveything in between. Brought tears to my eyes as all my mates slid sideways up the drive way after a full days BBQ drinking and holding onto a carton of 24-48 beers

have fun and remember drinking and driving are not mutually acceptable activities.

I have been using plastic bottles for quite a few years now. Until then I only used glass and metal caps. But once my arm was bent by a friend using plastic bottles it was no turning back.

I can buy food quality brown plastic beer bottles with screw caps for bugger all.

It just makes bottling so much easier and faster.

After bottling it is just a couple of good twists on the cap and thats it.

No machinery or extra operations to perform.

The plastic bottles gas up the same as the glass ones and can handle the pressure no prob. In fact the friend that steered me this way uses his kids old plastic 2L coke bottles without a problem.

They say that you can only use the caps 5 or 6 times but in reality you can keep using them for dozens of times with no trouble. The only thing that I have found is that they will start to leak once the seal gets to old and you end up with a bottle or two of flat beer.

Way back I had the odd disaster ( bottling to early ) and ended up with 30 little time bombs. Sticky splinters of glass everywhere, but the plastic ones just dont blow.

Give it a go and I am sure you will be surprised. There is no plastic taste and once it is in a glass nobody can tell the difference.

All the best.

Beer needs:

Malt

Dextrose

Yeast

Hops

Water

I had a truly serendipidous visit to the Rimping supermarket and they had a six pack of Coopers Ale (red) which is a) truly wonderful stuff and :D made as a huge scale home brew with natural fermentation and carbonisation so I just drank most of the bottle and kept the last cm with the yeast sediment, added a bit of dextrose and water, capped it with a rubber bung and airlock as in a few days there was my yeast ready for rounds 2-5. tragically I have not seen any more of it since. Nor will they bring in supplies of malt, yeast, or dextrose (see below)

Hope this helps out

I have been using plastic bottles for quite a few years now. Until then I only used glass and metal caps. But once my arm was bent by a friend using plastic bottles it was no turning back.

I can buy food quality brown plastic beer bottles with screw caps for bugger all.

It just makes bottling so much easier and faster.

After bottling it is just a couple of good twists on the cap and thats it.

No machinery or extra operations to perform.

The plastic bottles gas up the same as the glass ones and can handle the pressure no prob. In fact the friend that steered me this way uses his kids old plastic 2L coke bottles without a problem.

They say that you can only use the caps 5 or 6 times but in reality you can keep using them for dozens of times with no trouble. The only thing that I have found is that they will start to leak once the seal gets to old and you end up with a bottle or two of flat beer.

Way back I had the odd disaster ( bottling to early ) and ended up with 30 little time bombs. Sticky splinters of glass everywhere, but the plastic ones just dont blow.

Give it a go and I am sure you will be surprised. There is no plastic taste and once it is in a glass nobody can tell the difference.

All the best.

Hi,

Plastic bottles are OK for short term storage of your beers. If you are intending to keep your beer or want to mature it beyond 8 months the beer will go flat is plastic bottles simply because the CO2 (carbon di-oxide) molicule is smaller than the the PET (plastic bottle) molicule hense the gas 'leeches' out through the walls of the bottle. They are easier to use though than glass and crown seals. Glass bottles exploding are only due to two things: Fermentation not fully finished before bottling or extra priming in the bottle. Oh and Crow Boy - brewing in Thailand is illegal, check again, according the Excise Department website, brewing anything without a licence is illegal under the Liquor Act, B.E. 2493, fines vary depending on amount made and whether you make fermented or distilled product, contrary to what your thai cop neighbour tells you.

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

'The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol wine or beer, for example are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

Wish I was wrong on this count but......................

Oh and Crow Boy - brewing in Thailand is illegal, check again, according the Excise Department website, brewing anything without a licence is illegal under the Liquor Act, B.E. 2493, fines vary depending on amount made and whether you make fermented or distilled product, contrary to what your thai cop neighbour tells you.

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

'The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol wine or beer, for example are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

I am going to have to check this out - at the very least may have to stop giving it to my cop neighbour just in case <g>

Thanks - wonder if I can hide the brew I have going now?

• 1 year later...
Oh and Crow Boy - brewing in Thailand is illegal, check again, according the Excise Department website, brewing anything without a licence is illegal under the Liquor Act, B.E. 2493, fines vary depending on amount made and whether you make fermented or distilled product, contrary to what your thai cop neighbour tells you.

I am going to have to check this out - at the very least may have to stop giving it to my cop neighbour just in case <g>

Thanks - wonder if I can hide the brew I have going now?

Under the cop neighbour's bed. :o

In the past threads on this subject have been closed owing to the illegal nature of the activity. Lately though the Mods have been allowing them. Who knows? I am 100% certain that it is illegal to homebrew (beer or wine) without a license and paying the taxes. The taxes are quite high and that is why there are only a handful of gigantic brewpubs (e.g.: German Tawan Daeng) here.

I was a long-time scratch (all grain, never used extracts; fresh hops, cultured yeast) home-brewer in the U.S.A. and cannot see how you could brew quality lager, or even ale, here without fermentation-temperature control (closed refrigerated system) due to the excessive heat, except in the far north during the dry season perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...
In the past threads on this subject have been closed owing to the illegal nature of the activity. Lately though the Mods have been allowing them. Who knows? I am 100% certain that it is illegal to homebrew (beer or wine) without a license and paying the taxes. The taxes are quite high and that is why there are only a handful of gigantic brewpubs (e.g.: German Tawan Daeng) here.

When I wrote the replies to the above:

1) I was not a moderator at the time

2) I was wrong - making any form of alcohol in Thailand without a license is illegal. Home brewing while given the blind eye treatment is definitely against the law. Several posters cited the law and I verified it myself out of interest.

I was a long-time scratch (all grain, never used extracts; fresh hops, cultured yeast) home-brewer in the U.S.A. and cannot see how you could brew quality lager, or even ale, here without fermentation-temperature control (closed refrigerated system) due to the excessive heat, except in the far north during the dry season perhaps.

In Oz I did some grain mash brews but while very interesting and an absorbing hobby the results of modified malt brews can definitely be at least as good. In Thailand the difficulty of getting barley of the required quality is even harder than getting liquid malt so not worth the effort. In the North during the cold season brewing is very easy to control but even in the hot season it is fine. Placing the fermenter in a large diameter dish filled with water and drape with wet towels. The evaporation of the moisture will keep the brew at a surprisingly low level. In a cool bathroom with tile or cement flooring even more so. Wherever there is a will there is a way.

However be mindful that discussing an illegal activity on Thai Visa is against the rules. You may talk in general about "how to make home brew" but not "how to make home brew in Thailand". That will force the mods to close to topic.

CB

• 2 years later...

I just made my first attempt at making wine in Thailand. I see most of the Post below are a couple of years old. Has anyone found a source of supply for ingredients and equipment.?

I have a problem. I mixed 3 liters of apple juice with 2 cups of sugar, 1/4th cup of raisins, and 2 Teaspoons of bakers yeast (purchased at Macro). I put it all in a 6 Liter water jug and shuck it up well. I capped it off with a home made Airlock, made of a piece of clear 1/4th inch hose.The directions said I was to let it sit in a dark place for 2 months. Fermentation began and everything seemed to be going fine for 3 days. After that fermentation just stopped.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong, or what I should do next? I suspect the yeast, but don't know where to get better in Thailand. Should I add more yeast>

I just made my first attempt at making wine in Thailand. I see most of the Post below are a couple of years old. Has anyone found a source of supply for ingredients and equipment.?

I have a problem. I mixed 3 liters of apple juice with 2 cups of sugar, 1/4th cup of raisins, and 2 Teaspoons of bakers yeast (purchased at Macro). I put it all in a 6 Liter water jug and shuck it up well. I capped it off with a home made Airlock, made of a piece of clear 1/4th inch hose.The directions said I was to let it sit in a dark place for 2 months. Fermentation began and everything seemed to be going fine for 3 days. After that fermentation just stopped.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong, or what I should do next? I suspect the yeast, but don't know where to get better in Thailand. Should I add more yeast>

More yeast.

20 litre water bottle 5 kg sugar and 250 g yeast. :whistling:

As I stated above, my fermentation stopped after about 3 days. From reading articles on the Internet the optimum temperatures for wine making is 18 C - 24 C (64 - 75 F). It further states that yeast dies at temperatures above 26 C. My house is generally between 29 C and 38 (85 and 100 degrees F). I cannot find a cooler location inside or outside the house. Should I delay wine making to maybe October, when it is cooler?

Also, what can I do with the 2 batches that have now stalled? I have about 4 Liters each of Honey and apple.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...